Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

WatermelonSugar22

VIP Member
Nor do taxpayers fund the royals other than for security, the profits of the Crown Estate funds the buildings they live in and with the profits of the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall the work and travel working royals do
You keep saying this, and it’s technically accurate, but it totally ignores historical context, which is that they made their fortunes by using the labour of others. They are multi-generational beneficiaries of the work of others, of their own citizens, who even now are not allowed to buy the land they tend. They benefit from centuries of taxation laws that excluded them, of killing people to confiscate property, and by petitioning parliament to excuse them from environmental and employment laws. Ignoring this context is just pretending that they’re basically self-sufficient, which is laughably untrue.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I think they’d be as bad burnt as scalded if they took anything with them. Don’t take anything and be seen as entitled, don’t give a care. Take something and be seen as patronising.

Asking what is really needed and arranging private donation is probably the best way.
I can guarantee if they'd have turned up with a couple of bags of shopping they'd have been ripped apart. 'Is that it? They could afford to donate the contents of Tesco' etc etc.

Reactions: 23

F1Grid

VIP Member
It sounds like he wants to reform the Monarchy in a way that doesn't have primogeniture, because it means he's a 'spare' ( so not a monarchy at all!) and one where they don't have to enter into any devil's pacts with the press. So either a completely deferential press who collude to keep their secrets hidden. Of course, the press couldn't care less about any of them and only pretend to do do if it benefits their sales/ clicks. If the Royals didn't throw them bones, it would be open season on all their behaviour, which possibly could bring them down.
What's funny is that if the person who becomes King was based on anything other than primogeniture, it still wouldn't be Harry.

Harry's thick and over-emotional - no amount of 'King lessons' would fix that. If we had to pick who'd be King between the two, it'd always be William.

Reactions: 22

Onetwofour

VIP Member
Harry shows a remarkably poor understanding of how the RF works for someone who grew up inside it. What he wants and what they're able to give him are miles and miles apart and he just can't seem to see it.
I hope the issue of their attendance is clarified well before the coronation. I presume they'll still be invited and they'll be trying to put the pressure on the RF to apologise or make some kind of concession before they agree to come.
Right - they would look ridiculous to go to the coronation sans official excuses. With all their accusations, it might be hard to then just go like everything is good.

Harry talks about how his emotional state has never been taken into account, yet he requested a meeting with Charles was burying his father, created a crisis while Charles' mother was on her deathbed and is putting a huge pressure on his father just months before the biggest event of his life - embarassing him in front of the whole world. People will remember that the year of Charles' coronation was also the year his own son was airing the rf's dirty laundry and talking about his penis. What a lovely son.

• Sick

Miss Begotten

VIP Member
The primary cause of the cost of living crisis and rising inflation isn't really anything to do with Britain but Putin's invasion of Ukraine, restricting energy and food supplies and the sanctions imposed on his regime. Even the Tsars never caused us the problems President Putin has!
Absolute balls.
I know it was a few months ago but have you already forgotten the complete shambles of the Truss/Kwarteng budget? Are you so silly that you’re going to blame skyrocketing mortgages, plummeting pensions and a cost to this country of £30 BILLION on someone other than the current appalling government?
I suppose you think Brexit (current cost to the economy of 4% lower GDP - £100billion in output per year ) was a jolly good idea and hasn’t tanked this country’s economy and reputation at all. 🙄

Honeystar

VIP Member
To be fair to Susan Hussey, she has met with and apologised to the lady in question who also said it was time to move on and she was happy with the outcome. I don’t think her going to church with them is a big deal, she’s hardly stood waving on the BP balcony

Reactions: 21

maharini

I do think them going to places like that and acting like theyre "like us" is a slap in the face and i do wonder them supporting places like that is counter-productive since they can't fundraise/donate.

Also, either someone had a word with them or they're trying to deflect from Andrew/Harry with all these extra engagements they're doing!
I’ve had quite a bit to do with various royals via various charities, and I know for a fact that in the vast majority of cases, a personal cheque donation is given quietly during the visit and you’re told by their equerries not to mention it in press activity or publicly. They do their good works quietly, unlike some.

Bride of Lupine

Chatty Member
Thats the one, what a horrible horrible man, and Diana also recalled hiding behind a door and her Father hitting her mother who was crying, what a horrible family.
Definitely agree. Those desperate to see Diana in the grandchildren always go on about the ‘Spencer gene’ as if it’s some great compliment. Good god no. That family makes the royals seem like the most functional ever.

Honeystar

VIP Member
Reactions: 20

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Maybe we could have a rave thread so we don't constantly have to go back and forth about why monarchy is still around, inheritance issues etc which have all been discussed before numerous times! For those of us that just enjoy the goings on of the royal family and their engagements etc?
I don’t know, I think this thread does a good job of being balanced. I think there is two or three ultra royalists but most people are open to talking about good and bad

Honeystar

VIP Member
I like that this is mostly neither rave nor hate. For the most part we’re able to comment, air different views and opinions without it being nasty. I like reading views that oppose my own. Adult dialogue. It’s healthy.
Totally agree, I am a royalist in the sense that I don’t want a republic/president, enjoy watching the pomp and ceremony, love watching and dissing the fashion and can’t lie, love the drama and gossip 😂

That being said I think they have plenty of shortcomings and in an ideal world I would love to see Charles go for a total reform of the system as it is (although I’m not holding my breath)

I don’t think this has to be a rave or a hate thread? (Not that I’m a moderator or have any say in this ha) but think it’s actually one of the few threads I read and take part in where it’s not a totally once sided opinion (eg love or hate)

I also learn a hell of a lot on here too, there are some very clever people who post on here!
---
I wonder what sort of security they have on trips like this? I imagine it's hard to go under the radar with security following you. Also how do they travel to these places. I imagine they'd get hassled on easyjet or somewhere similar

I’ve just text my friend to bulk out the details of this sighting for us 😂 she is however currently in the Maldives so I’m not expecting a reply anytime soon. Yes, she’s a lucky cow 😂 but lovely and one of the best so I can’t begrudge her. Will report back hopefully soon

• Heart

Boring Monday

VIP Member
Have I understood this thread correctly?

Kate and William are work shy, lazy and don't do enough engagements. However, when they do appear to be doing more engagements they are are rubbing the noses of the plebs and showing fake concern? :unsure:

I wonder if it's a protocol that they never take anything to any of these engagements in the name of impartiality. Can't be seen to show any favouritism. ( I do believe after Catherine visited a baby bank they received a donation from Pampers which was to do with her )
I think they’d be as bad burnt as scalded if they took anything with them. Don’t take anything and be seen as entitled, don’t give a care. Take something and be seen as patronising.

Asking what is really needed and arranging private donation is probably the best way.

I think it’s entitlement based on them being the Prince’s of England, lauded, given everything they want, etc rather than because of their age. I’m only 4 years younger than Harry and I’m definitely not entitled or lazy

Thank you please

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
He actually didn’t, maybe judgemental of me but I thought Jeremy would be a bit of a covid denier, but he was absolutely terrified of it, so I don’t really know what conspiracies they’re talking about. He shouldn’t have published what he did, but if they try speaking as a voice of what should be in the press and comedy they’ll risk much more intelligent people joining the conversation and sitting them down. His farming show was actually really good so bit gutted it’s cancelled after season 2, it really helped the farming industry as well.

Clarkson was seriously ill with double pneumonia which made him give up smoking. On Clarkson's Farm, when Covid hit, he actually said' if I get it I'm fucked' so no, he wasn't a covid denier.

H&M don't have to accept Clarkson's apology but the way they have responded doesn't sit right. They just want to cancel people and get rid of any dissenting voices. They could have been far more magnanimous in saying something like 'we where deeply offended by the column and would hope that Mr Clarkson has learned from this and will think more carefully on the impact his words may have blah blah blah. '

Gracious not righteous.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I don't know if it's Harry's memoir or just the impact of the current climate, but seeing wealthy royals visiting soup kitchens and trying to be relatable just feels so off to me now.

Reminds me of that awful Rishi "are you in business?" Sunak gaffe at that homeless shelter.

It's not a soup kitchen. It was a project to help young carers, mental health and help steer kids away from crime.

William has worked for years with homeless groups. He would never say anything as stupid or crass as Rishi.

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
In Charles Spencer’s wedding speech he apparently said something along the lines of “I was advised to find someone who’d stick with me through thick and thin. Those of you who know Victoria [first wife] know that she’s thick, and she certainly is thin”.
I remember looking at her wedding pictures and thinking how sad she looked.
He is a nasty piece of work. For all his showing off at Diana's funeral he was a crap brother to her an an absent uncle, not to mention a shit husband and father

Reactions: 19

cantthinkofaname2

Chatty Member
Whoever thought those gloves were a good idea needs sacking.
Would have been a beautiful, classic look styled differently.

hehehe

VIP Member
To be honest, I don't get the whole "she waited 10 years". She was 29 years old when they got married. It's not unconventional for people meeting young to only marry 7-10 years later. I think it makes sense for some people to not rush into marriage in their twenties. It's a very transformative decade. Kate and William's relationship got its up and downs when they got engaged. At least they were sure they could handle issues and make it work, they probably already knew the worse of each other. It was not the most stupid choice when your know that your relationship will be under the spotlights for the next decades. Having already lived challenges, Kate and William were more protected of the pressure of the medias post-marriage.

Maybe it doesn't look very romantic, but it looks like a more successful marriage than William's father, uncle and aunt. I think I prefer a more realistic approach to love and marriage than the version offered by Meghan and Harry. I don't believe in the idea of seeing a life's partner like a semi-god that can never be wrong. To me, love is seeing the other as they are and to love them anyway. It's also about being a team that can face challenges. Harry couldn't help his suicidal wife, Meghan let Harry publishing a book where he talks about his penis and his mother in the same paragraph.. They can talk all they want about their fairy tale with rosy sunsets, but I don't find them aspirationnal.

As to the real state of Kate and William's marriage, who knows? But they are good at keeping it private and people can only speculate. It also protects their children.
Kate might not have ever worked if it wasn't for William and the need to keep up appearances. Pippa never had a job outside the family business did she?

I definitely don't think they waited too long to get married. Anyone I know that met someone early in life didn't get married until late 20s or early 30s either. I doubt many of William and Kate's peers got married in their early or mid 20s. That part of their relationship seems totally normal to me.
+ every single person I know who got married in their early or mid 20s is either divorced or experiencing marriage woes now in their 30s. I'll never understand how people can look at the divorce rates today and not commend W&C for taking their time like sensible people should. Then again I wonder how many people criticising "waity" are themselves divorced or stuck in shitty marriages while throwing stones from inside their glasshouse.

• Haha

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
A laugh and a joke at the expense of someone who made an effort for him. Yeah, that’s probably how most people would react when the future King says your baking sucks. What’s she going to do, get upset with the media there? Tell him he was rude?
He’s going to be the King, he should do better. I can’t imagine the Queen acting like that.
Take a day off. He was joking and his visit went down very well.

• Sick
  • Angry