Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Baby Giraffe

VIP Member
So within the space of a couple of posts we are now unable to use the words 'thug' and 'niggling'. Two words in common parlance. I'll carry on using them thanks. :rolleyes:
I’m not aware of the thug issue and agree niggle is a word used perfectly reasonably in common usage. However, the way in which it was used in that headline definitely looks somewhat suspect and alluding to a different and unacceptable word. I genuinely can’t see any other reason for using it in this context unfortunately and would ask what else anybody thinks they were referring to.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
I think one of the things that was sad to hear was Harry saying the males in the family had married someone who fits the mould.

My immediate thought was that was aimed at William and Catherine and I always thought Harry had always got on very well with Catherine over the years.
I think it was absolutely about Catherine. I mean frankly, Kate absolutely has turned herself into an empty vessel to be moulded into the perfect Royal wife. Its hardly surprising if not many people want to do that. As far as I can see, it's only Kate who has done it. Sophie has taken 20 years, but she had her time doing things the Royals would disapprove of, and Camilla definitely is old enough now to tell Charles and everyone else what's what.

50sGirl

VIP Member
I wish the media would stop reporting on the pair of them. They wanted to step back from public life and they say they hate the media, so give them what they want - report on nothing, zero, nada.

Of course they won’t do it - the media need Harry and Meghan as much as Harry and Meghan need the media.

I recall when George Clooney criticised the paparazzi (coincidentally it was after Diana’s death) and at his next appearance they all lowered the cameras and refused to take photographs of him. I wish the media would do the same now.

• Heart

Lilliepad

VIP Member
Why not?

Initially, just by the promise, it seems to be positive discrimination as it focuses on a marginalised group, so it is legal.
But imagine that a member of another domestic group approaches the charity and they would be turned down, as it happened to the bi-racial girl that tweeted about it, then wouldn't it be negative discrimination and illegal?

It doesn't appear to be so clear cut to me, but maybe I am overlooking something?
Yes, you are overlooking something.

As you’ve mentioned, it focuses on a marginalised group which is institutionally discriminated against. There are plenty of other charities that would be able to help other groups outside of this. Positive discrimination isn’t racist, it leans into the fact that there are nuances that come from being black that other charities may have less experience with, alongside the understanding that many white charities may miss with black women. Think about things such as medical racism. Those issues would be pertinent here.

In the case of a bi-racial person seeking help from SS, I personally think that it’s wrong that they were turned away as they would face many of the same issues and nuances a black woman would, but I also understand the argument that a half white woman would much more advantage in the western world due to proximity to whiteness, and so the charity wants to focus on those without that privilege. Hope that makes sense.

• Wow

hannah123

VIP Member
She started the fashion business in 2009 and two years later it closed, so she's not a designer in any meaningful way.

She's a good clothes horse but I wish she'd wear a great variety of British designers, it's always the same people, she should support smaller brands. She may be princess but she'll never have the impact of Diana and call me a cynic, I don't think she'd do as much charity work if it wasn't to get her image up to her mother in law. I don't think Diana would've liked Kate or Meg but for different reasons, I do believe she would've liked Chelsey
I don’t think Diana would have liked any gf/wife, she’d have tolerated them but she gives me vibes of mum who thinks she’s the most important woman in her sons life.

• Heart

coconochanel

VIP Member
Regarding the curtsey whether its odd or not its the thing that is done in that family, so respect it or fuck off!

• Heart

Joannabloggs

VIP Member
Racist dogwhistling is done like this on purpose - they count on the general public (who aren’t victims of racism) not picking it up.
To me using the phrase niggling is no different to me saying "chink in the armour" about an East Asian person. The phrase by itself is not racist nor does it have racist origin but when you think of the context of which it was used it is inappropriate, rude, racist. This phrase would never have been used by the likes of the Telegraph / Times despite being right leaning papers like the Mail as they would know that their readers would understand the hidden meaning of the words. The daily mail readers are either too stupid to see the hidden meaning or knew the meaning and just didn't care as they believe the diatribe the Mail give them about meghan.

If you believe no one in the DM press room who read the article before going to press knew about the second meaning (journalists who have studied at oxbridge and attended elite public schools studying the english language and the eytomology of words from Latin, french etc), you are either naive, disingenuous or both.

There are so many things the press could say about meghan without the passive aggressive references about her heritage. By doing this, it negates any genuine critiques they have made about her.

elliebee27

VIP Member
The public demanded that as payment for their presence - the Queen wanted ot keep them safe at Balmoral - but the public was baying for blood so they all had to go to London. It is pretty awful.

Harry is clearly very stupid and very mentally ill (two unrelated things). Meghan is clearly in it for the $ and always was. They want control and their curated vision of things to sell themselves to America who knows nothing about how a monarchy works, so will believe every lie out of their mouths.

This wasn't about safety or anything this was all about them wanting to have their cake and eat it too instead of try to work with the system that bent over backwards for them. They had their strop and want more and more and more.

• Heart
  • Wow

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I love how some MPs are up in arms, demanding their titles are stripped but they didn’t say a peep about Andrew having his titles taken away.

Reactions: 18

Spurgyrose

@Boring Monday and @Baby Giraffe you articulated my point way better than me 😊
no one is asking you stop using words don't be so dramatic. I don't know why people get so defensive when others point something out. Just be like oh okay, I didn't see it like that but now you've said it... you didn't write the article did you, so no need to be taking it so personal
Lot of people here being purposefully obtuse 🙄

Yes, some people can overplay the racism card but that doesn’t negate the existence of it. Getting all offended because people point out subtle and not so subtle examples of racism as they would be perceived by, you know, someone who would typically be the victim of racism is not the flex a lot of people here seem to think it is. In fact, it makes you look like a rigid, intellectually stunted, and, frankly, racist tw*t.

• Heart

Boring Monday

VIP Member
I honestly think the biggest thing Harry could learn is that there is no such thing as a magic ‘normal’ … and what he yearns for without the royal tag isn’t actually even pushing what could be considered normal for most people (Eton, stately piles, titles, money …). For most people ‘normal’ is just muddling along and trying to make the best of what they’ve got.

Last edited:

MoodyBlue

VIP Member
Something I don’t get is how fiercely private H&M became, particularly Archie’s birth, Christening and his Godparents. Yet today we see photos of their wedding party, lots of private moments. Why the big switch?
Cash $$$$$$$

hannah123

VIP Member
This has made me angry. She is taking the piss out of the Queen. :mad: So disrespectful.

Seriously Meghan ask yourself what was your husband doing in all this? You’ve been dating a year or however long and you’ve never spoke about his work? He’s never told you about the walkabouts and royal engagements? There would have been at least one trooping the colour between them dating and announcing the engagement, did she not think to watch it (or even just want to because based on how the relationship was going she would soon be part of the family)?

Most couples discuss their work at the end of the day and talk about things happening in their family, what were they discussing in their facetimes? Global domination?

They both come across so empty headed. People are sat in their homes deciding between food and heating and you’re complaining no one taught you to curtsy or the national anthem. Blimey read the room.

• Heart

MoodyBlue

VIP Member
This documentary is going to end in tears. There's already questions about how H&M photographers got into the palace and that's just from there trailer. They'll be questions about when were pieces filmed? Was it pre or post their leaving TRF? How long in the making has this been? etc etc.

Once the documentary and book are done what else have they got to sell? Surely this stuff has a shelf life?
Let's hope so. I'm sick of the nauseating pair.

• Heart

Xantippe

Re the bit in bold: It’s interesting, because I think this is actually a nationality thing.

I’m a “floating voter” along with essentially everyone I work with, and we all agree: this documentary is really out of step with the current situation of most people…

It feels very jarring to be constantly hearing about two massively over-privileged people complaining about how hard done by they are when plenty of people can’t afford to heat their homes.

I think the reaction is different in America though.
Nope. American here. Californian in fact. We see thru the pathetic grasping H&M whiny grifters, They are not invited to any A list parties - or any parties, except media stunts their PR firm cooks up. Me-Gain and Haz-been do no "good works". In fact, they seem to do no real work, beyond trying to promote and enrich themselves. The tide is turning in these colonies. (Except for the bots hired by her PR firm. Her 2nd (!) PR firm, since she couldn't pay the first one.) What is your return policy? May we send them back, please?

P.S. Kate is a gem.

• Sick

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Again I agree that biracial women often fall through the cracks but the argument is that they need to focus on the most marginalised because they only have so many resources.

They do have advantages due to their proximity to whiteness. That is what colourism is all about. Even Meghan touched upon how society views her as opposed to someone like Serena Williams.

Your last point counteracts your first though. They’re turning away because they’re focusing on other women in need. The argument is that they’re focusing on people that are usually left behind, if they do away with that practice they’re doing a disservice to those initial people, no?
In my book if someone turns up asking for help, you help them. To decline someone help because of 'their privilege' is quite repulsive.

• Heart

50sGirl

VIP Member
This has made me angry. She is taking the piss out of the Queen. :mad: So disrespectful.

She‘s so disrespectful to mock the Queen like that. 🤬
The same Queen who she forced out a single tear for a photo opp at her funeral. (Has previously stated she can cry on demand)
Harry should be ashamed of himself that he allowed that to be filmed and then aired.
Hand back the titles if you find the Royal Family so abhorrent. Oh you can’t because it’s all about the money, kerching, kerching and you’re nothing without them.

• Heart
Reactions: 17