The Points Guy UK

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went to points Guy uk launch 5 years ago and met the mum and DH with tiny kids. Nice enough lady - was chuffed that I spoke to her. She sorted me with a bassinet booking. Looks like she disappeared with the others to make room for more selfies. any else do you read @smurphette ?

Reactions: 1
Are there other good threads on tattle to read about travel people? This came up in a Google search. Usually am on flyertalk

I went to points Guy uk launch 5 years ago and met the mum and DH with tiny kids. Nice enough lady - was chuffed that I spoke to her. She sorted me with a bassinet booking. Looks like she disappeared with the others to make room for more selfies. any else do you read @smurphette ?
šŸ˜‚ SHE was chuffed I spoke to her. Thirsty

Reactions: 2
Are there other good threads on tattle to read about travel people? This came up in a Google search. Usually am on flyertalk

šŸ˜‚ SHE was chuffed I spoke to her. Thirsty
HA! Thereā€™s a thread on Noel Philips! I used to like him and Paul Lucas but Noel started to drive me crazy during Covid and now canā€™t stand him. Paul less so, but still not really a fan anymore. Have tired of him.
Head for Points/Turning Left for Less are more about points but still think they have some of the more balanced reviews. They also allow comments which can be really helpful - particularly HfP.
The Live and Letā€™s Fly guy is controversial a bit if you read his comments section, but his reviews are quite well written. God Save the Points too.

Not sure if this will link:https://tattle.life/threads/noel-philips.28635/

I donā€™t care to zee white guys or couples on planes. That easy Where to see people who actually book for a family of 4. school holidays? Why no women? Or POC? across all of those airmile bloggs. Must not be a market?

I donā€™t care to zee white guys or couples on planes. That easy Where to see people who actually book for a family of 4. school holidays? Why no women? Or POC? across all of those airmile bloggs. Must not be a market?
I've seen some vlogs with women of colour and a family who use points to do fab trips (and are black). But absolutely much less common and often less successful than the usual white males. It's very disheartening and I think large part of why I'm getting sick of a lot of them. Even stood out when HfP had review where they were talking about experience of flying with a baby on Singapore Airlines - things like basinette, food for the child etc

I've seen some vlogs with women of colour and a family who use points to do fab trips (and are black). But absolutely much less common and often less successful than the usual white males. It's very disheartening and I think large part of why I'm getting sick of a lot of them. Even stood out when HfP had review where they were talking about experience of flying with a baby on Singapore Airlines - things like basinette, food for the child etc
Any families that use airmiles effectively and are U.K.? Maybe weā€™re just too small because of our cards. I will look for the HfP review!

Any families that use airmiles effectively and are U.K.? Maybe weā€™re just too small because of our cards. I will look for the HfP review!
I mean families on blogs or vlogs, social media, etc. šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§

One thing I've picked up from this video is that the guys seem averse to using basic phrases in other languages when talking to staff:

Maybe I'm just a cringeworthy tourist but surely it's just politeness to say "Grazie" in Italy or "Merci" in France and learn a couple of basic phrases. Granted I'm fluent in French but even when in Spain, Italy or Germany, I would never say thank you or hello in English.

Did otherwise quite like the video, the Italian train looked freakishly good. Puts SNCF to shame.

One thing I've picked up from this video is that the guys seem averse to using basic phrases in other languages when talking to staff:

Maybe I'm just a cringeworthy tourist but surely it's just politeness to say "Grazie" in Italy or "Merci" in France and learn a couple of basic phrases. Granted I'm fluent in French but even when in Spain, Italy or Germany, I would never say thank you or hello in English.

Did otherwise quite like the video, the Italian train looked freakishly good. Puts SNCF to shame.
I'm ashamed of my lack of fluency in other languages, but always at least try to do hello, please and thank you too. Basic respect for them, when I'm already embarrassing myself by being so limited. Nicky in particular always seems so cocky. Also don't understand why these influencer types think we need to actually watch them eat? Saw a girl in the KLM lounge at Schiphol with a camera on tripod, filming herself eating her breakfast or something the other day and it looked absolutely absurd. Never mind that I have no interest in seeing them slobber.

I think the main thing with points blogs is the vast majority of people who use points (and travel enough to take full advantage of points programmes) are business travellers who travel often. That in turn tends to lean more on the male demographic, although the points guy Facebook group does seem to have some diversity.

The points guy uk does have a female in their recent vid, and I've seen other females on the team before. Problem is TPG UK is very much the Nicky Kelvin show and I don't get the impression he likes to share limelight

Reactions: 3
Nicky now just bringing in his (rather annoying) friends now for videos who aren't even part of the company or a travel blogger.

Get the feeling nicky maybe has too much power at UK TPG

Nicky now just bringing in his (rather annoying) friends now for videos who aren't even part of the company or a travel blogger.

Get the feeling nicky maybe has too much power at UK TPG
He's so unbearably smug and 99% of videos seem to include him which is so annoying. I wonder if he's the reason why some have left including Jean who went from his sidekick in pretty much every video to instantly leaving completely.

He's so unbearably smug and 99% of videos seem to include him which is so annoying. I wonder if he's the reason why some have left including Jean who went from his sidekick in pretty much every video to instantly leaving completely.
Yean, I get the feeling not all is well at tpg uk if you work for them. A few seem to have left, I can imagine it's quite a clicky place to work based on how nicky acts, and now he is bringing in his mates. Daniel Ross (comedanwithme on insta) also seemed to stop working for them a year or two ago.

Although nicky is super smug, I can tolerate him in most videos and I quite like Liam. But Sam is quite annoying and nicky needs people to balance him out, not be from his clique.

Yean, I get the feeling not all is well at tpg uk if you work for them. A few seem to have left, I can imagine it's quite a clicky place to work based on how nicky acts, and now he is bringing in his mates. Daniel Ross (comedanwithme on insta) also seemed to stop working for them a year or two ago.

Although nicky is super smug, I can tolerate him in most videos and I quite like Liam. But Sam is quite annoying and nicky needs people to balance him out, not be from his clique.
Sam seemed a bit too showbizzy for flight reviewing, I think he's a dancer IRL, heard his name before.

I also like Liam, fairly low key.

Sam seemed a bit too showbizzy for flight reviewing, I think he's a dancer IRL, heard his name before.

I also like Liam, fairly low key.
Yeah I agree, he was just 'too much' and he isn't a travel expert. Yes he is a dancer, I've seen him in a couple of things before. He and nicky also play up to the are they aren't they a couple on Instagram.

I agree Liam is good

Even putting Sam aside it wasn't one of their best and virgin didn't look particularly good.

I thought Nicky was definitely looking his age in recent vids, especially round the eyes. All that sunbathingā€¦ going to catch up with you love. Get some SPF on.
Liam is sweet and the only bearable one. Hated that ā€œJoanā€ as Nicky called him, and I cannot bear the blond bloke with the accent. Stuck up aF.

I thought Nicky was definitely looking his age in recent vids, especially round the eyes. All that sunbathingā€¦ going to catch up with you love. Get some SPF on.
Liam is sweet and the only bearable one. Hated that ā€œJoanā€ as Nicky called him, and I cannot bear the blond bloke with the accent. Stuck up aF.
Yes I thought nickys skin was looking pretty bad too, I think he is only around 40 but he is starting to look a lot old. You could well be right on the skin damage

Definitely! And strange for a pretty boy type. He's the kind to be offered freebie facials and injectables too, so extra surprising.

Yeah I agree, he was just 'too much' and he isn't a travel expert. Yes he is a dancer, I've seen him in a couple of things before. He and nicky also play up to the are they aren't they a couple on Instagram.

I agree Liam is good

Even putting Sam aside it wasn't one of their best and virgin didn't look particularly good.
You wonder how much is biased with them too. They have been giving BA glowing reviews recently, even on services where other reviewers very fairly pointed out shortcomings, but don't seem to be as into Virgin. I mean, I do agree with some of their points re VS Premium on the A350 (prefer old seats and find them quite narrow even as a tiny person, not a fan of those "kraft paper" pouches etc) but it seemed like they were harder on them than BA. Never mind that they are treated differently anyway as they prance around taking selfies.

Definitely! And strange for a pretty boy type. He's the kind to be offered freebie facials and injectables too, so extra surprising.

You wonder how much is biased with them too. They have been giving BA glowing reviews recently, even on services where other reviewers very fairly pointed out shortcomings, but don't seem to be as into Virgin. I mean, I do agree with some of their points re VS Premium on the A350 (prefer old seats and find them quite narrow even as a tiny person, not a fan of those "kraft paper" pouches etc) but it seemed like they were harder on them than BA. Never mind that they are treated differently anyway as they prance around taking selfies.
Yes they are so well known now they will get the good service, and that flight itself wasn't a normal one which they admitted with the free wifi