Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

crystaleevee

Reading them from a cabin crew point of view I think they seem a right bunch of dickheads and nothing they report is ever 100% factual

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Trolleydollycoffeelover

Does anyone subscribe to the blog, watch their youtube channel or follow on social media?

I used to love them but since lockdown I've noticed how smug they come across. Curious to hear others views
God yeah and also Sam Chui is another smug freeloader. The American points guy is a lot less boastful and cringeworthy than his British counterpart.

Reactions: 6

nrs264

VIP Member
God yeah and also Sam Chui is another smug freeloader. The American points guy is a lot less boastful and cringeworthy than his British counterpart.
yeah Sam Chui I had to unfollow.

Do you mean Brian, the really tall American guy? I find him really annoying but yeah maybe not smug, just annoying.šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

I used to love the uk guys especially Nicky but as they've got bigger they've got smugger and more self righteous. The UK flight vlog post lockdown (now deleted) where they kept breaking mask rules was just so obnoxious and a real low point. Theres a certain desperation now with them regarding anything for content.

Reactions: 6

glasgow27

VIP Member
TPG seems to be the Nicky Kelvin show, plus his one or two support acts
NK just has an unbearably big ego and I don't get why, his insights in the reviews are no more interesting than anyone else and he isn't funny/likeable in any way. I get the impression he'd be a nightmare to work with.

Reactions: 4

GSquaredUWS

VIP Member
I used to like Noel but his videos got shorter and far more click baity. His wife was in a few and I recall she was even worse, terribly entitled and couldn't be bothered with the first class flights and train journey they did. Looked like she was at a funeral the whole time. To be fair any time someone tries to make a wage off YT the content suffers. I've been enjoying luxury travel expert during lockdown. He doesn't speak so the videos are very relaxing.

GrĆ¼nhalle999

I used to like Noel but his videos got shorter and far more click baity. His wife was in a few and I recall she was even worse, terribly entitled and couldn't be bothered with the first class flights and train journey they did. Looked like she was at a funeral the whole time. To be fair any time someone tries to make a wage off YT the content suffers. I've been enjoying luxury travel expert during lockdown. He doesn't speak so the videos are very relaxing.
Noel Phillips Was near to Tears during some of his Videos during Covid Travel Restrictions, No Meal service available only snack Box's. The poor poor man ,How dare the Deadliest virus for years stop ME having a Hot Meal in Business or First Class, And why do they insist on putting News stories on the Seat back entertainment system with people in hospital!! I can't have my Silver service Salmon dish . Also he does have one of the most Punchable faces I've ever seen.

• Heart

GSquaredUWS

VIP Member
Never been able to warm to them or many of these other points vloggers. Why do so many of these guys have such smug punchable faces!

Mark81

VIP Member
I noticed Jean pop up in comedanwithmes stories. Both used to work for tpg and wonder if there is a story there, or they just left

So much smugness though.

I do like trektrendy but even he has his moments. And the Nasa obsession without ever seeming to explain it just screams 'I need a gimmick'

Theodore

VIP Member
Noel Philips seems to be doing ok as a full time covid rule breaker because on his channel last week he flew his entire family, including in-laws, to Atlanta in Virgin Upper Class. The whole lot of them were wearing Noel Philips branded sweat tops with his face on like heā€™s some sort of celebrity.

• Angry

MrsPiggleWiggle

Chatty Member
This literally confirms my intuition from his social media attitude.

He comes across as very up himself, but also keen to social climb

I also get mean girl/you can't sit with us vibes
Yeah, thatā€™s accurate. But heā€™s aged really badly and is only around 5ā€™7ā€ so not sure how long he can keep the attitude up for. When he was advertising the spare room in his flat, he was asking for an extortionate amount given the location.

He always publicly calls out people for ā€œbad serviceā€, which irritates me as I know he wouldnā€™t be able to deliver better service, and those heā€™s calling out are likely overworked and paid minimum wage.

More generally, it always annoys me when they fly business class considering none of them actually have anything resembling a real job. I donā€™t know how they have the nerve.

• Heart

Theodore

VIP Member
The wife ā€œRacheā€. A right misery!

Theodore

VIP Member
I find Nicky a bit smug.

Though someone who I used to like but have grown to dislike is Nonstop Dan. He's increasingly entitled and up himself.
The Oskar and Dan channel where he and his bf are trying to visit every country in the world is better than Danā€™s solo vids. I do wish theyā€™d stop going on about being vegan though. Iā€™m delighted that theyā€™re vegan, I just donā€™t need to hear about it every thirty seconds. Also ethical opinions from people pumping Co2 into the atmosphere from endless unnecessary air travel is hard to swallow.

Theodore

VIP Member
Trek Trendy is very likeable. He likes his luxury but heā€™s not a cock about it. Also the Vicarious Voyagerā€™s vids are super high quality and he is very funny in a dry/sarcastic way. He doesnā€™t upload very often these days, he has a proper job.

Reactions: 3

Ensay

VIP Member
I'm shocked as an openly gay couple that they have no qualms at all about going to less accepting countries. I wouldn't set foot in some of them. Dan is OK in small doses but I can see why he'd annoy many.
Yeah to be honest that surprised me, too. I did ask a question along the lines of if they were ever worried going to certain countries as a gay couple and they replied. They said they basically have to pretend to be friends or brothers in certain countries, eg twin beds and no sign of affection in public, etc.

I'm not saying I want to be all over a partner when I'm on holiday, but I wouldn't want to pretend we were friends or brothers. Plus I'd just be on edge the whole time and I wouldn't particularly want to spend my tourist money in homophobic countries.

I'm not shaming anyone else for doing it -- to each their own -- but it's not my idea of a fun holiday.

Ensay

VIP Member
I find Nicky a bit smug.

Though someone who I used to like but have grown to dislike is Nonstop Dan. He's increasingly entitled and up himself.

Trolleydollycoffeelover

That James Asquith is another annoying tone deaf freeloader too. Donā€™t know if heā€™s anything to do with Points Guy but he is cringy.

Mark81

VIP Member
I think the main thing with points blogs is the vast majority of people who use points (and travel enough to take full advantage of points programmes) are business travellers who travel often. That in turn tends to lean more on the male demographic, although the points guy Facebook group does seem to have some diversity.

The points guy uk does have a female in their recent vid, and I've seen other females on the team before. Problem is TPG UK is very much the Nicky Kelvin show and I don't get the impression he likes to share limelight