The Neurodiversity Thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As suggested in another thread- for all of us with ADHD, autism, dyslexia, dyspraxia etc.

I have dyspraxia and it affects every area of my life :( I’m so slow at work and self care

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hello 👋🏻 Autism and ADHD here, raised by parents with autism and EUPD, trying to raise a child with autism/PDA and ADHD, and pretty much no idea what I’m doing 😄

• Haha
  • Heart
I have cerebral palsy and I think autism (started a referral 6mos ago), I really struggle with changes to routine. Trying to find a job is tough.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I have cerebral palsy and I think autism (started a referral 6mos ago), I really struggle with changes to routine. Trying to find a job is tough.
It’s SO tough finding a job as more palatable people always get picked over us with some flimsy excuse :(

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Hello 👋🏻 Autism and ADHD here, raised by parents with autism and EUPD, trying to raise a child with autism/PDA and ADHD, and pretty much no idea what I’m doing 😄
Hi 👋 Sounds similar! ASD and EUPD here and query ADHD trying to raise a son with ASD, PDA and ADHD - it’s hard work!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hello👋🏼

I have autism and as a result I have traits of adhd, dyslexia and dyspraxia, not enough to be diagnosed I wouldn’t say because they are cross over traits from the autism so I have been told anyway. I have really bad dyscalculia though. People laugh at me for it it’s that bad.

I really struggle socially which has become apparent recently with my new job. I just feel like I’m missing a whole language that other people seem to know. I can’t read facial expressions or body language. It’s really hard in a new environment

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I do wish there was a company that hired exclusively autistic people in the office, it would make things significantly easier to navigate; no office politics, no water cooler small talk, we all say awkward things and enjoy never having team building events

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I do wish there was a company that hired exclusively autistic people in the office, it would make things significantly easier to navigate; no office politics, no water cooler small talk, we all say awkward things and enjoy never having team building events
When companies talk about ‘diversity’ I want to ask how many neurodiverse people they have :) we have work superpowers, we just never get hired from an interview 🦸‍♀️

Reactions: 7
I wish these things weren’t the default but I think there’s a long way to go. Even just some consideration for introverts’ preferences would be a huge win for a lot of people with ASD. Also need to get rid of societal expectations for women to be “warm” and “amiable”.

I’ve worked with one openly autistic person and he was a lazy sod, an office full of him and I’d rather go live in the woods. People with a diagnosis can be just as insufferable as the office gob on a stick.

I wish these things weren’t the default but I think there’s a long way to go. Even just some consideration for introverts’ preferences would be a huge win for a lot of people with ASD. Also need to get rid of societal expectations for women to be “warm” and “amiable”.

I’ve worked with one openly autistic person and he was a lazy sod, an office full of him and I’d rather go live in the woods. People with a diagnosis can be just as insufferable as the office gob on a stick.
WFH has been amazing tbh for letting introverts shine (not just neurodiverse ones) :)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I have epilepsy and a type of aphasia. Both are affected by stress and tiredness, I'm useless in crowds or big groups of people as my brain can't handle all the noise, especially processing talking/listening is hard work. It's annoying because people at work presume I'm antisocial (well, I am quite an introvert anyway) or that I don't know anything about whatever the topic might be. It's just that my brain tires much faster than other people's...

Reactions: 3
Sorry for too much work-related content but these videos show the struggle :)

I knew I could find a great community with Tattle! Some of the faces on this thread I see interacting so well on other threads talking about their opinions, lives etc and it comforts me to see us articulating ourselves and living a full life that's not defined by neurodiversity :)

Reactions: 4
When companies talk about ‘diversity’ I want to ask how many neurodiverse people they have :) we have work superpowers, we just never get hired from an interview 🦸‍♀️
For the win

This is going to sounds strange but I’m wondering if anyone else has this (very first world and pathetic) issue.

I really find it hard to find things to watch. I feel like there is almost too much option between TV with hundreds of channels, all the streaming services, on demand and YouTube. I spend most of the day just flicking between all of them. Now I’m pissed off because it is
4pm and I’ve wasted yet another “chill in front of the tv” day doing nothing.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
This is going to sounds strange but I’m wondering if anyone else has this (very first world and pathetic) issue.

I really find it hard to find things to watch. I feel like there is almost too much option between TV with hundreds of channels, all the streaming services, on demand and YouTube. I spend most of the day just flicking between all of them. Now I’m pissed off because it is

Omg this!! I literally watch Gilmore Girls on repeat, then watch the revival of that and then go back to the start and watch series 1 again because I can’t cope with the choice available.

ADHD (and i think undiagnosed autism) 👋🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Omg this!! I literally watch Gilmore Girls on repeat, then watch the revival of that and then go back to the start and watch series 1 again because I can’t cope with the choice available.

ADHD (and i think undiagnosed autism) 👋🏻

Yes!! I end up watching the same thing over and over too!!
Someone also said to me once that some people do that cause there’s no anxiety with the ending as you already know how it’ll end which is interesting tol

Reactions: 5
I think it’s because a lot of the programming is about the minutiae of human relationships which a lot of autistic people struggle to grasp with any nuance unless it’s quite simplistic :) which is why Gilmore girls, kids programmes, Disney etc is more comforting

Oh yes! Got a lot of stuff recorded too. I then end up watching repeats of Policec Interceptors or Traffic Cops. But I find with some programmes, I can't just put them on. I have to watch them and follow what's actually going on, which I struggle with a lot. (I have other complex meuro stuff going besides Autism)

Another vote for watching the same comfort shows on a loop 🙋🏻‍♀️

Maybe we could all share our favourites here as suggestions for the others?

• Heart
Another vote for watching the same comfort shows on a loop 🙋🏻‍♀️

Maybe we could all share our favourites here as suggestions for the others?

Great idea!

Gilmore Girls will always be up there as my favourite
Greg’s Anatomy
Brooklyn 99
Death in Paradise
Superstore

There are probably others but that’s all I can think of right now. Bet you when you guys say things it’ll remind me 🤣

Reactions: 1