The Long Shadow - ITV

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else watching? I looked for a thread for this series but couldn’t find one.
I’m really enjoying this series, ITV have done a superb job with this one. The cast are terrific, so many familiar faces. What really stands out is how badly women were treated - only 40 odd years ago, not just by the Ripper, but by the police themselves. Shocking times. Been bingeing on it on ITVX.

Reactions: 15
Anyone else watching? I looked for a thread for this series but couldn’t find one.
I’m really enjoying this series, ITV have done a superb job with this one. The cast are terrific, so many familiar faces. What really stands out is how badly women were treated - only 40 odd years ago, not just by the Ripper, but by the police themselves. Shocking times. Been bingeing on it on ITVX.
Yes I've been watching. It is superbly done. The look and tone of it.
As you say it is so utterly depressing how women were treated. From the murdered women, to the assaulted woman who survived (Marcella), the policewoman basically forced to be 'bait' with useless backup, the way the non sex worker victim was referred to as a 'normal innocent' woman.
Its made me feel very sad tbh, bearing in mind the plight of women today really.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Although it’s a dark topic I love that finally someone has done a programme from the POV of the victims & their families rather than him. I bought Richard McCann’s book many years ago, think I’ll give it another read

Reactions: 8
I think it was a master stroke to have a familiar actor, Katherine Kelly, in the first episode. And then she was murdered. Just to bring home these were women known to a lot of people - their families, friends etc. Not just a black and white photo in the papers.

Reactions: 14
I've just finished watching and it was a very harrowing and frustrating watch. The ignorance and incompetence of the police was off the scale. The only bit I wished they'd focused more on was the effect on all the women of West Yorkshire. None of them felt safe after dark. The Long Shadow is correct as it may be 40 years ago but many remember it like it was yesterday. I was impressed that Sutcliffe wasn't the main character and there was more focus on his poor victims even if they and their families were treated horrendously.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I've been watching weekly, trying not to binge but that might change soon 🤣, but I think it's really well done with a great cast love Daniel mayes and Katherine Kelly was brilliant Too

I've watched it all on demand. Excellent writing and outstanding acting. I remember the years Sutcliffe was on the loose,it was terrifying,we lived in South Yorkshire. My poor mum was a nurse and had to get the bus at 5am every day, she used to carry a canister of furniture polish in her bag as a weapon. Watching this drama really showed the disgusting way the police treated prostitutes, almost as if they were less than other victims. I must admit to crying through most episodes. ALL his victims deserve to be remembered with respect and dignity, give them back what he tried to take.
---
I've been watching weekly, trying not to binge but that might change soon 🤣, but I think it's really well done with a great cast love Daniel mayes and Katherine Kelly was brilliant Too
I only lasted 3 weeks and had to binge the last 4 episodes,you won't be disappointed

Reactions: 6
It's such a fascinating case.

Has anyone read "Wicked Beyond Belief"? The book it was based on? That's such a comprehensive read. It's available as an audio book too.

Reactions: 4
This has actually triggered memories from my childhood. The police actually came down to Devon trying to trace the orange (?) car. One of my neighbours was questioned in his home, a friend’s dad, as he had the same colour & type of vehicle & another friend’s dad was a suspect as he looked just like Sutcliffe, but slimmer. Lovely, gentle man who fortunately could prove his innocence

• Wow
Reactions: 7
I thought it was superb, I was a child at the time and I remember his arrest. I’ve said on another thread that he was caught just behind my uni house in Sheffield, first thing our landlord told us

• Wow
Another excellent episode last night.
Still watching weekly.
I'm so impressed with how it has been made. Conveying the horror and fear, but (imo) not being gratuitous at all.
That poor woman who was attacked having to retread her steps to see if she could spot him. Literally zero understanding of head injury or trauma back then.
Seems wierd to say I'm enjoying but I am.

Another devastating episode last night.
Honestly if David Morrisey doesn't win all the awards it will be a travesty.

Reactions: 3
So shocking to see how some of the victims were treated by the police back then 😪

• Sad
All females from the female officers to the victims are treated terribly. It’s so shocking and not that long ago. You can totally understand how hard it is for female victims to pursue any claims, even these days.

All females from the female officers to the victims are treated terribly. It’s so shocking and not that long ago. You can totally understand how hard it is for female victims to pursue any claims, even these days.
I know. So depressing. I actually think they are probably slightly playing down the experience of the black victim. I imagine the language about her was appalling.

• Sad
I know. So depressing. I actually think they are probably slightly playing down the experience of the black victim. I imagine the language about her was appalling.
Oh yes, you could feel that poor lady’s pain through the screen! I can imagine the language about all the women was pretty derogatory ☹
The way they just did not believe she wasn’t a prostitute, that her attacker wasn’t the Ripper and even at the end when she got her compensation- but then had her benefits taken off her. Felt so sorry for her. Yet the officer in charge came away with £40k - 40 years ago that was a LOT

• Sad
Oh yes, you could feel that poor lady’s pain through the screen! I can imagine the language about all the women was pretty derogatory ☹
The way they just did not believe she wasn’t a prostitute, that her attacker wasn’t the Ripper and even at the end when she got her compensation- but then had her benefits taken off her. Felt so sorry for her. Yet the officer in charge came away with £40k - 40 years ago that was a LOT

it was appalling that Gregory was allowed to profit from the case, especially as he cocked up the investigation so badly

Sadly the racist language used towards Marcella Claxton was even worse than it was depicted in the show. I won't repeat it but it is easy to find online. They also used the fact that some of women had Jamacian boyfriends as proof of their loose morals

I actually think the police leading the investigation were even worse than potrayed in the show. I would recommend watching the documentary "the Yorkshire ripper files" currently being repeated on BBC2 and the 1st episode is on iplayer. It has loads of old archive footage.

In a way I'm glad they haven't shown quite how ghastly the attitudes and language towards women and black people was. I think. I bet they thought long and hard about how graphic to get in that respect.
I don't know how to explain it properly but using awful racist and sexist language could really appeal to such horrible people who might watch just for that.

In a way I'm glad they haven't shown quite how ghastly the attitudes and language towards women and black people was. I think. I bet they thought long and hard about how graphic to get in that respect.
I don't know how to explain it properly but using awful racist and sexist language could really appeal to such horrible people who might watch just for that.
I agree we can imagine what it must of been like that language and attitudes need to be left in the past where they belong

Wow.
Devastating series all round.
I can't believe Sutcliffe was interviewed 9 times 😲
How many lives could have been saved if more women had been listened to. And the Police weren't so fixated on him having a geordie accent.