The Land of the New Years Resolution

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Happy New Year here’s mine - lots are repeat from last year 😜

lose 15 pounds
Stretching until I can put my hands on the floor
Maintain a positive attitude and outlook
Relax and not be so uptight
Remember that nothing needs to be perfect

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I try to do a monthly resolution, as I find I'm more likely to hold to something for a month, and then have a career and personal goal for the year.
For January I want to do focus on getting at least 15 minutes of stretching every day.

For the yearly goals I want get my cake business registered, and have my savings account in a healthier state.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I have a few

Lose around 6-7stones - I already started before Christmas but need to get back on it after a couple of weeks pigging out 🍎

Skin care - I need to have a better routine as I’m not looking after my face as much as I could be yet I buy all the creams and potions! 🧖🏻‍♀️

Get outside and walk - I work from home and don’t always have the energy/motivation to go out for a walk but I want to make an effort to as I can sometimes go weeks without leaving the house 🚶🏻‍♀️

Decorate my living room and bedroom - the house is still as the previous owners left it so want to put my own stamp on the place 🏡

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I just want to carry on with mine from 2022 which was to read more! I read 23 books last year (I only read about 3 in 2021) and want to read even more in 2023. I’ve finally a found a genre I enjoy. Saying that, I’d like to finally read some of the classics that I have had since I was a teen (that I bought because I thought I would read them eventually).

One of my goals was to also learn more about Russian history which I did and really enjoyed. I would like to learn more about classical history this year (Greeks and Romans). I know a lot about British and American history but not much about these periods.

I also want to get better at cooking but find cook books a struggle as by the time you’ve got the 20 ingredients just to make one dish, you’ve spent 20 pounds and money is a bit tough atm.

Should probably add some stuff about my body in too as I always focus on the mental stuff.

I could honestly do with losing a stone and stop eating so much crap.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’m finding it really inspiring reading this thread :)
I usually set myself up to fail when I resolve to do anything (I love the idea of monthly resolutions @Lammington)
But as I’m resolving to find a more positive mindset this year, I’m making some New Year’s resolutions for the first time in ages:
Lose weight - at least 4 stones 😱- by healthy eating and walking
Look after myself generally
Read more books instead of web browsing! Inspired by @Couldlifeeverbesaneagain I’ll include reading up on a topic I’d like to learn more about.
Be less of a people pleaser and stop looking for approval. I want to work towards better mental health and these resolutions are all part of that really.
Wishing everyone a healthy, peaceful and happy 2023 x

• Heart
Did anyone succeed in their New Year’s resolutions from this thread?

This year I’m going to continue to embrace Sisu and be quietly determined with work. I will get that pay rise and better job title. I’m also going to continue to lose some weight as I’ve been doing quite well so far.
I’m adding wearing more sexy underwear to my resolution. I have so many beautiful pairs of knickers and bras and never wear them. Today I’m wearing them and I feel really good.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My goals for the year are to...
  • Walk - I looove walking but I have difficulty in finding making time to do it regularly. I want to walk a minimum of 702 miles this year (around 2 miles per day) - very achievable.
  • Lose Weight - I've got a big wedding in August that I really need to feel OK at. I've got a lot to lose since falling off the wagon late last year.
  • Do Better At Domesticity - I'm not naturally very tidy, I'm easily distracted, I work, I mum, and fundamentally I'm pretty lazy. I want to keep on top of housework, not live in fear of someone popping by, and enjoy my home more.
  • Be Better Prepared At Work - Work is more stressful for me than it needs to be, and that's often due to planning. I've bought a paper diary because it's easier to flick through than Outlook etc, and I think that'll help. Now I just need the cajones and self-discipline to say 'no' to myself and others.
  • Save Money - I'm doing OK at this, but a bit more conscious effort will help.

Now I've put it out there, maybe it'll stick?

• Heart
I totally missed that the early posts were from last year 😅 Sorry to anyone receiving like notifications from me for a year old post!

My resolutions this year are pretty simple and basically boil down to 'Have Good Routines'. Not routines timed-to-the-minute, but rather just building habits that mean every day I'm doing good things (moving my body, keeping on top of house work, getting work/study done, having fun, cooking good food, reading more etc)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
learn german & improve my french ✨
continue with reading more & re-read harry potter 📚
visit a place i've never been to before 🏕

Mine are just to keep adding to my savings, be able to run 5km again, but above all, to just prioritise my self care. I struggle a lot with my mental health so even things like hygeine and skin care fall behind, I just want to feel good about myself physically (and mentally of course).

• Heart
1. Get a handle on my anxiety and OCD
2. Start working out again (didn’t work out at all in 2022 as it was a difficult year)
3. Treat myself better than I did in 2022

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Why oh why do so many of our resolutions have to be punitive?? We should all be kinder to ourselves imo.

Here are some of mine : Buy myself fresh flowers every week.
Start going to the hair salon to have my hair done (instead of the usual- cutting it myself because i feel guilty spending the money on myself)
Enjoy lounging around on the sofa as often as I can.
Get a monthly manicure (instead of doing it myself - the norm)

You get the idea!

• Heart
Why oh why do so many of our resolutions have to be punitive?? We should all be kinder to ourselves imo.

Here are some of mine : Buy myself fresh flowers every week.
Start going to the hair salon to have my hair done (instead of the usual- cutting it myself because i feel guilty spending the money on myself)
Enjoy lounging around on the sofa as often as I can.
Get a monthly manicure (instead of doing it myself - the norm)

You get the idea!
BIB - I have got that one off pat.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
To follow up from last year, I didn’t find a new job in a new company 😭 and yes I still hate it. BUT my new goal is to get a house this year, I came so close to finding my dream home last year but just didn’t have the funds. Now that I do and I’m in a better position, I’m ready to start again and get a house and then change jobs 🙌🏻 The positivity and hope is as high as ever and I’m excited for my future. Sending all the positivity to you all who didn’t quite get to where you wanted to be last year (like me) 💜 we can do this

Reactions: 8
I love reading other people's resolutions, it definitely inspires me.
A big one for me this year is saving more money than I spend. The last few years I've wasted so much money on needless crap and I'm kicking myself for it now to be honest.
Tying into that, I need to declutter my home before I end up on an episode of hoarders 😂 I want to sell stuff to make extra money and give other bits to charity.
I want to read more. Before social media I was an avid reader but now I get so distracted. I'm going to aim for a book every two months to ease myself in gently and if I read any more then that's a bonus.
I love going to the gym but I struggle in the winter so I'm going to aim for 2-3 sessions a week.
Weight loss wise - I'd love to lose maybe half a stone but I'm more focused on muscle gain and toning up this year. Definitely need to clean up my diet and focus on health.
I'd love to be able to sit still for 20-30 mins a day with no distractions but I think that's probably a big ask 😂
Skin care definitely needs to be on my list too as I suffer with dry skin and never moisturise so that's going to catch up with me eventually.

I think that's about it! I'm feeling positive going into 2023 and hoping for a good year!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
To add to my list: I’m going to try and spend more time with people who are genuinely pleased to see me, and less with those who see me as an afterthought!
Here’s to self care in 2023!

• Heart
I have a few but I can't focus on them all with the same level of dedication at the same time, so I might divide the year into priority chunks and see how I progress.

1. Reading the books I own and developing a better grasp of my area of interest (which is mainly Greek & Roman classics at the moment)
2. Putting my physical and mental health over my comfort zones. I want to speak up more, establish better boundaries, do what's good for me even if it's uncomfortable or intimidating, and not be afraid of actually succeeding at healing. How I eat goes hand to hand with how I feel, so hopefully improving mentally will make it easier to stick to healthier choices for my body as well.
3. Allowing myself to be bad at the things I enjoy. I used to like drawing but stopped because I wasn't suddenly amazing at it, I put off my embroidery because I can't make the things I would like to make immediately. I will convince myself to just enjoy doing it and not have it become a competition in my head.
4. I will make a final effort with a friend I'm falling out with. I think the 'fault' isn't on my shoulders entirely but I'm not ready to shrug it off and say I tried just yet. I will reach out and see if my effort is returned.
5. I will reach out to friends I don't see often in general. Asking to make plans every month is doable and it won't take too much headspace. I am very much an introvert and a homebody, but as a child-free, currently single adult, my main support system in the future will be my friends. I want to build the habit of putting in the effort and not withdrawing to my comfortable solitude because conversations are exhausting.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My resolutions are

- lose 10kg and get back to my healthy habits

- pay off the remainder of my kitchen and begin saving, I’d love to have at least £2000 in a savings account by the end of the year

- make it to my 30th country! I’m on 27 as it stands

• Heart
Reactions: 3