Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Top steve

I'm glad I came across this - for a while I thought I was alone in feeling a degree of 'manipulation' here.I have no issue at all (and more power) to those who do well for themselves but for some time now the 'donations' thing and the references to possibly needing 'volunteers' to help clear the land etc. hasn't sat easy with me.There is the constant feeling that being on the financial edge is portrayed , while the reality looks anything but; the secretive approach to properties likewise.Most recently when I watched the 'animal heavy' video , there was again a feeling that an attempt was being made to manipulate...it's almost like there was a brainstorming session where the 'animals' idea would have come up. I could be wrong but for some time now , (for me) there's been something 'off' about all this...

Reactions: 15

igotunow

Ugh. I was very shocked as well and unsubscribed. I really liked that YouTube channel and it was just awful to feel like I had the wool pulled over my eyes. I think, for me, it was the combination of keeping the properties a secret and the complaints about how hard they have it. Most people can't just pick up and move for a change of scenery when traumatic events happen their poor neighbors have been forced out of their homes with this fire. Many of us just have to make due with our lots in life and don't have the resources they have. We all don't stop work in the afternoon and get a nice dip in the lake.

I think that this video, coming right off the news of their village house, rubbed many the wrong way. They even acknowledged they were keeping the new property a secret. Bee bailed on the barn project and Theo seemed to attempt to keep it going. Bee was only in the videos for sponsor ads in many of them (got to keep the money coming in). With the new village house they renovated the bathroom and never showed the project as they hired a crew to do it. They bought this new property and hired a crew to clean the brush. I wonder how much "living off the grid" they were really doing all this time. It looked to me like they ate out often and laundry was done in town. They didn't even finish the barn kitchen. It looked like the whole project was coming apart at the seams even before the fire.

I was under no illusions that they weren't making bank nor did the fact that they made money bother me. It's that they wanted us to think they were living off the grid in this happy little simple life with this barn project that they loved and wanted us to love. I suspect they were barely there and couldn't wait to get out and move on up. They didn't even live in that barn for 7 months (and even that long is up for debate, with 2 vacations during that time). Heck, Bee wasn't even trying at the end once they had the new houses. Why do you want me to love your "indie project" when you can't wait to get out of it? Just make a video and say the barn is cute but I don't like it any more so we are done focusing on it. We made some money so now we are going to focus on living somewhere bigger and better.

Finally, the nerve to ask for handouts when others were so affected by the fire was the last straw for me. This is a wealthy couples private home not a public park. I guess they need to fix up the property so all their patrons can come and stay after they pay to fix up this magical place that, according to Theo's parents, "people would pay to come and see". That is if you are invited past the gates.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Alloallo

I think they have completely alienated themselves from their own target audience, the vlogs are just dull, nothing of note seems happen, even announcing you've bought a huge new property is somehow made boring. I stopped watching the videos when they made that awful outdoor "kitchen" and never finished the barn kitchen. The begging vlog was just.... Absolutely tone deaf. Just endless videos of Theo doing some nothing-ey job on the tractor over and over again. I long suspected they weren't living full time at the barn when they both seemed to spend a lot of time eating out. Neither looked healthy which is astonishing when you think they both claimed they live off the land and do physical work all day? For people who claim to love this lifestyle they both come across as miserable. Theo's defensiveness just comes across as an unchecked ego. All the shaking a sobbibg into a camera just reminds me of every other disingenuous crying you tuber!!! Totally bizarre.

Reactions: 13

shushyourmouth

I am dismayed that I bought into their act. In a recent video Theo talks about how he "had to shi* in a bucket for 10 years". C'mon man, you didn't "have to." You were an off grid you-tuber with a van, houseboat, a barn conversion, and a good social media following that earned you enough money to vacation all over the world and buy 3 properties, and those are the ones we know of. That kind of bs makes me so mad. Nobody was forcing you and you made a killing doing it. Their channel went from "follow our journey" to I don't care about this project anymore and poor me I had to use an outhouse. As of now it seems as if the barn conversion is not going to be filmed. I suspect they are going to just hire someone to finish it up and unload it for the cash (and those donations are pouring in).

This latest video they have seemed to dropped the "off grid" lifestyle for electric gates, hot tubs with televisions, and full bathroom renos just because they dislike the tile colors. Doesn't seem so ecologically friendly to me. The newest video where Theo walked the house had a full 3 minute ad in it so revenue must be coming in pretty well. I see on their you-tube channel someone saw all the stuff they were left in that home and thought they needed to donate $50 on top of it. That $50 could have gone to someone whose home burned down.

I think they will lose the people like me that wanted to see people living happily simply and cheaply and just have a Stunning Mountain Villa renovation show now.

• Heart
Glad to find this thread and that I'm not going crazy feeling like a horrible person for speaking my mind (albeit sensitively! ) and seeing their true colours and unfollowing them.

I've been following their journey on Youtube for some time since their earlier travel vlogs which were genuinely enjoyable and there was no real sign of manipulation in the earlier years they had a softer side, but the toxicity was becoming more apparent in recent videos. I was tempted to unsubscribe to them some time ago when they were blatantly using their live sessions as a means for people to send them money, that sort of attitude irks me but to see this latest... saying that, I really wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt.. I'm really left quite stunned by their behaviour in the last vlog.

It's kind of sad that those still sucking up to them on their pages gushing over them since are completely oblivious to the fact that they've been lied to- and to have this opinion I'd likely be seen by them as one of the "cruel" ones leaving a "disgusting" comment.. what they've done to their peers in response doesn't make them much better! Did any of you get the sense their egos were coming across as ever increasing over the past year particularly, and they became more "full of themselves"?

imo the Indie Projects were using the phrases "disgusting" and "cruel" because they couldn't see the fault in their own actions, were out to protect themselves and this has led them to an unfortunate meltdown.. like somebody else commented it's high time they took responsibility for their own actions.

I'm glad I never gave them any money ever. I felt a bit miffed at them on their latest vlog and how they seem to be backtracking now, their behaviour doesn't surprise me and I'm glad to stop following their "journey". I was initially very confused hearing about the "third" property and wonder how many other "thirds" they own. I had a fleeting thought if they'll follow up with another vlog and what the tone of that will be, i can only suspect it will be full of self pity and blaming others to keep their viewers hanging on. On the other hand perhaps it's best they quite social media altogether if they're so unwell, to allow themselves time to recharge and recover. With the vast quality of their skills no doubt they could find a job offline more suited to their mental health.

It seems that many are still blindsided by who this couple really are and so glad the truth is finally coming out although as sad as it is about Bea's latest suicide attempt, I still wish her a fully recovery. Mental health is incredibly serious. It felt like Theo was having to pull the majority of the weight of the workload by himself and it isn't much surprise that he's feeling so exhausted. But still, they can't then turn the tables on others when treating their own viewers so senselessly. Really i think they lived in their own little world of "online celebrity" and who knows what was really going on behind the scenes. Youtubers will show you what they want you to see to entice them into their world and keep you there for as long as possible. Having experienced narcissists in my life this makes me wonder about the level of narcissism those two were capable of in keeping their online worlds going.

It's insightful seeing how they've been responding...I hadn't seen any of the responses from the screenshares in this thread and it is a complete eye opener and confirms my gut feelings about this whole situation so thanks for sharing those. It wouldn't surprise me if they end up losing many friends in Portugal now after their behaviour towards their peers, as well as more viewers they've worked so hard for, such a shame, but it's been their own doing.

• Heart

ttlr

these pair have wound me up for a while now... this is such an obvious grift.

let's have a look at the facts
  • this is their third property
  • they have at least 4 other places to sleep
  • the house on this land was absolutely unaffected and looks pristine (only noted 25 minutes into the video as Shrop mentioned)
  • they run businesses selling merchandise/books and receive youtube income
  • they own 100k's in assets
  • they do sponsored posts/videos (£1k+ at a time)
  • they were on HOLIDAY during the fire
  • they already have 349 'patrons' on their patreon (anywhere from $1-$50 a month)
even if you were to ignore all of that and try to make a case for them, a quick google search shows that hundreds have been injured due to these fires, and thousands have lost their (probably only) homes.

yet they script, record, edit and upload a 28-minute-long video (with drone shots), create a new page on their website asking for donations and volunteers, and make multiple instagram posts promoting the video. the house itself is fine, they've just lost some trees which'll grow back, and some fencing to keep their goats in.

i'll tell you what you pair of millionaires, i'll skip my heating bill this winter and donate to your paypal!

muncher

Anyone else watch these two, re their latest video, how do you feel?

I was quite shocked and unsubscribed, I never left a comment but found it just grabbing to come on and ask for money when this is their 3rd property, the main house is untouched, the project was damaged but still a project and the land will eventually recover. They were on holiday in Canada when it happened, I mean a little tone deaf to what is going on in the world at the moment. Im sad it happened but other people lost lives, their own homes etc, why would you donate to these two rather than people really in need? The comments say it all.

• Angry

Isee NPCs

Glad I found this I was banned for pointing out the obvious grift. They have purged everything except the sycophants kumbaya comments off of everything! Theo appears to be an arrogant personality now, think the facade has worn.

I unsubscribed spent an hour un-liking every video watched for the last year, and removing each from my watch history. About all I can do to affect the algo's. I was aghast when they asked for money at the end of that video. While on vacation in N. America! These two IMO are the lowest form of con-artists, professional grifters. Every video is made to infer we're two van lifers who scraped together enough to buy this off grid ruin to live in.

I live in Portugal. The fires here devastated mostly poor Portuguese farmers etc. A firefighting pilot was killed another seriously injured. Many people have died as a result. When they did the fire video I remembered that house from an OK Portugal video. I remembered the house was for sale for about 400k. It is posh! The other village house is nice also.

The incessant pity solicitation using Bea's "mental health" is suspect now also. As others mentioned while she was in some alleged treatment Project Portugal guy from Stonewall was over there at Theo's, rendering the inside, to relieve her stress and have Bea get comfortable in a near finished small barn house/project. Everyone felt ohhh Theo the hero etc. Also helped with the roof /skylights as said. Wonder if he feels grifted too?

Done with their BS never watching / clicking on anything to boost their livelihood.

• Heart
I don't watch their videos any more, but yesterday I went to their channel to see how many views their videos are getting and it appears to be significantly less, except for one that talks about the little house. I can see why van life and barn conversion would be an interesting watch. But living in a good size house with all comforts will be a bit harder to sell as interesting. What I liked about them (a young hard working couple setting down roots in Portugal off-grid by converting a barn into a home, because of limited funds) turned out to be a lie. I never sent money, but I believed them and was cheering them on to make it. First red flag was when he brought that outdoor vehicle, and here I was concerned if they were going to get that old truck working again. Second red flag was the rental that appeared out of nowhere. But when they purchased that house I recognized as the one Ken showed, I knew that I had been had. I don't like being lied to. Silly, but I took it personally. And to be frank, I'd like to see them fail as YouTube personalities. Harsh I know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12

VNDO

Chatty Member
This honestly pisses me off. I'm portuguese, I've grown up watching fires every summer. We had an awful fire in 2017 with many deaths and it scarred us. People lost their lives and their homes. If you just search for Portugal fires 2017 and see the images, you'll know what I mean.

I watched their video and was about to comment right in the beggining about how stupid and reckless they were in urging bee's mum to go to their property, right as they received the cctv notification that the house was on fire. You don't do that. They've lived here long enough to know that. Theo says "as bee was on the phone with the emergency services, I contacted anyone and everyone I could to try and get a visual on how our place was looking, if someone could get close by, if someone could just send us a video (...)". There's a raging fire, that they know it's already at their property, and they want someone to go there and be in the middle of it. That's how you get killed. The audacity.

I don't know if anyone has noticed yet, but they closed the comment section on their video and people were commenting on the previous one. They just deleted every single comment made there that called them out.

They've been fooling people into believing they have been living off-grid and that the ruin was their forever home. Meanwhile, they just bought a 400k home and have probably been living there all this time. Btw, okportugal has deleted the video they did touring that property. It was still up on their channel 2 days ago, but I'm assuming, because it showed the asking price, bee and theo asked them to pull it down as it cracked their façade of off-griders and struggling couple.

Edit: Now bee is showing some comments that called them out on her IG stories. Lol. Grow up and own your mistakes.

Last edited:

WhyOnEarth

Long time follower of this channel and always been interested in their “off grid” ambitions and ethos. The purchase of this latest property seems a big step away from this 😔. After watching their video yesterday I did have the smallest bit of sympathy for them but then I watched the OK Portugal video of the property when it was for sale. The place has not been lived in for years. While the electrics and irrigation infrastructure was there it was not necessarily in working order anyway lying dormant for years. Definitely there were issues with the pipes leading to the lake. The project barn had already suffered from a fire inside and the wood floors , beams etc that Theo was so distraught to have lost did not look salvageable anyway. It wasn’t even safe to enter building. So disappointed that Bee is now pulling the mental health card on Instagram yesterday. Social media, for anyone never mind those with mental health issues, is not the place to be if you are sensitive to others criticising and expressing opposing views. They surely must have expected backlash to this sudden news of purchase of €400k property and then instantly appealing for cash donations. Good luck to them.

Jamestoo

So considering his partner is a suicide risk Theo has to go back to the UK for urgent business? Maybe he does however I wouldn’t leave my partner behind in that situation and I certainly wouldn’t be making it into a vlogging road trip swapping out vehicles, wild camping buying trailors, galvanised gates and paint! I would have flown there with Bea hired a car and flown back asap. They have trailors paint and gates in Portugal!. Clearly the real reason he’s in the UK is to offload their sprinter that’s been stored for a year or so. This only smacks of more deceit and BS. Their whole channel is nothing more than a soap opera and opportunity to beg and shill. Definitely not how they started out their humble channel travelling around in a van. Theo is just a smug git with inferiority issues on top of his dyslexia and ADHD issues. Now he’s a property developer with a taste for greed. Nothing adds up with these two.

She just posted this
Theo also posted a long message on YT. Anyone who just tried to off themselves would not be screaming it from the roof tops . Such an act is embedded in shame. It’s hidden.
Mental health is no joke and I hope she is well but it’s just funny timing to declare such a thing .

I don’t believe it . They are using mental health to deflect . If she was truly struggling then she would check herself into a facility , remove herself from social media long term and heal . They have all the money to get quality help for bee .
this kind of post is a slap in the face for anyone struggling .

Reactions: 11
I see they’ve e just churned out a new vlog “The truth about the house: what’s really going on” with a thumbnail of Theo in despair, I just haven’t been bothered with the last few vlogs and cant be bothered to check out their latest sob story either! Welcome to anyone who’s recently joined the thread you’re amazing for seeing the light and believing the truth of what this pair are really about .

181paul

It does seem somewhat distasteful to show how much you have & what you plan to do, especially when others have lost so much more. Including, sadly their lives while fighting the fires.
The comments section now has a request to keep comments respectful from YouTube. If only the comments made were respected & not deleted.
Rightly or wrongly. There was undoubtedly some unpleasant comments, unfortunately there always will be.
However, by far the majority that have been branded as nasty/negative appeared to be from long term viewers/subscribers that simply voiced their opinion that they felt that they had been misled.
Censoring views simply because they differ from your own views is difinatly not respectful.

Last edited:

mcyj

My experience has been much the same- was super keen on what the Indie Projects were posting- they seemed so down to earth with respect to their project and journey- however over time, and their requests for assistance especially after the fire- it really turned me off. All felt like a massive grift (in addition to the tonal change with Theo and his “property developer” title). At the end of the day- I don’t begrudge anyone success- but there really is something off-putting about them. The only good thing I’ve discovered through them though is a vlog “Portugal From Scratch”. This woman seems very sincere and no BS. I certainly think worth a follow…

moonshadow

I started watching their videos last year and thought what a great couple they were, how clever Theo was etc., then bit by bit I noticed that they started buying a lot of new items for the barn and going on lots of trips. Then, the news of the house and then the big property plus all the new items again. I am glad I never sent them any money. What a waste of space they both are. The house is not damaged by the fire, and the fire has saved then from clearing the land. The fools who keep sending them money will help him buy another property as on his Instagram he now has Property developer....the con of a you tuber is evident in more ways than one! The people who lost all their belongs and family albums are the ones who need help. Theo and Bee lost nothing of value in the fires.
I asked them a question of how the village people were , those who lost their property and the family of the firefighters who lost their lives. I asked if there was a community help project or go fund me happening for them and got no response. My post has now disappeared.
They still have everything they need whereas some have lost loved ones and homes.

I've unsubscribed too.

I found it somewhat disingenuous that they didn't mention the main house on the property was completely unaffected until 25:20 into a 28:23 video. They own 2 other habitable properties, plus a camper van and a caravan. They own numerous other vehicles and pretty much every power tool known to man. This would suggest that they are not a couple teetering on the brink of severe financial hardship, unlike many others these days.
We've unsubscribed too and are no longer patreons.
They attacked Project Portugal and Frankie off grid. So now, we subscribe and follow them instead. . The Indie Projects vile hate is now their victims gain. Please flow them too..it's worth it.

Last edited:

VNDO

Chatty Member
Theo also posted a long message on YT. Anyone who just tried to off themselves would not be screaming it from the roof tops . Such an act is embedded in shame. It’s hidden.
Mental health is no joke and I hope she is well but it’s just funny timing to declare such a thing .

I don’t believe it . They are using mental health to deflect . If she was truly struggling then she would check herself into a facility , remove herself from social media long term and heal . They have all the money to get quality help for bee .
this kind of post is a slap in the face for anyone struggling .
Exactly. I dind't say anything as didn't want to come off as insensitive, but as someone who has struggled with ocd and depression, I wouldn't think of doing what they've been doing after bee's suicide attempt. She says it's caused by social media and yet, every since the video went live, all they've been doing is deleting comments and outing people on IG. If social media was causing her to spiral, why not leave it? Instead, they seemed obsessed with changing the narrative and coming off as innocent.
It honestly just seems a way to deflect from all the negative attention they got. Like a "poor me, look at what you've done with calling us out for being grifters."

Also, just found out I've been banned from commenting on their channel :unsure:😂

They are already deleting comments from the community post. Seriously... If it's so bad for you, just don't engage and do something else.

Last edited:

Jamestoo

The grift is off the scale with these two. They're schilling anything they can get sponsored with whilst pulling the woe is me card based on mental health issues, flooding and fire. Their content is desperately boring these days. They have so many unfinished projects its unreal. Regards offgrid living they do nothing. Half a dozen goats and chickens and a couple of cats lol. Even their veg patch looks pathetic. They stated the Manipulation Mountain property was a 2 hour drive from their unfinished barn project. I really doubt they're doing that commute daily. Why not just bring the animals over to the new place.

Biorbcat

Yes I used to subscribe but to be honest I had worked out ages ago what a pair of untruthful people they were, it’s not rocket science to see what they do I am just surprised that so many people are sheep.
And if mental health was such an issue to the point of suicide why would you put yourself in a position like that so not right on so many levels using it as a lever to pull the heart strings, and all those poor Portuguese people who are genuinely suffering and people who lost their lives it’s disgraceful to bring the begging bowl out, the house is still standing I watched the house tour tonight was nearly sick at what he was saying, this person who is so emotionally upset and asking for money saying what he is going to do with the outside kitchen area, going to install a hot tub and massive TV and upstairs a pool table, oh my must be so hard being so skint and needing donations to fund your Hot tub and pool table so glad I unsubscribed just wish everyone else would wake up and smell the coffee.

• Heart
Reactions: 10