Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Restless Native

VIP Member
The casting is bizarre. The housekeeper is extremely posh and very funky, and the two brothers have completely different accents. One sounds like Prince Charles and one sounds like he’s on Eastenders 😂
They have tried to squeeze in the actors from Hill House. Yer man from ETs attempts at an English accent were pretty embrassing lol. Also London was obviously not London lol

Reactions: 4

justnosy

It wasn't what I expected, and it wasn't like Hill House, which I loved, but I did enjoy Bly Manor.

It wasn't as gripping as Hill House, and it wasn't at all scary, but it was a bit creepy at times and worth watching.

It was quite predictable. Some of the episodes felt a little slow, and I was disappointed it wasn't more like Hill House, but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I agree that some of the accents were quite bad - some of them distracting.

Reactions: 4

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Which is a shame! Also... if they need England/Scottish/Irish accents just use native bloody actors/actresses. Perhaps the accents are too distracting for British ears?
I didn’t realise until the last episode that the narrator was meant to have a Manchester accent...we thought she was from Birmingham or something 😂 the way she said words like ‘love’ just did not capture the Manc accent at all, it was bizarre tbh.

Reactions: 3
I binge watched over the weekend, loved it!!! Especially loved episode 8!! Think I may watch it again!
Episode 8 was my favourite too. Episode 6 and 7 were just starting to begin to lose me a little, but then 8 brought me right back, it was outstanding.

Overall if I'm honest, Hill House was better and contained much more scares. But I still really enjoyed Bly Manor, the storyline gets a little confusing at times but I would still recommend.

Last edited:

super grateful

Just finished it, absolutely howling at this re-cap 😂😂😂 ‘she fucked about a bit’ 😂😂... boyfriend felt the same as you.

Did find the ending quite moving. Still not sure I really understood what was going on with Hannah??
🤣 It was just so unnecessary! I didn’t care for the moody cowbag’s misery tbh. Her illness and her husband dancing with another woman either, yes all very sad blah blah but really did we need to go into that much detail. Was very tedious. 😴 They literally could have shortened that whole episode to a 5min scene and we’d still all know who she was and why she does what she does (although really I think she needs to get over it).

I STILL haven’t watch the final episode oops but Hannah’s story annoyed me a bit too. I assumed by end of episode 1 she was dead so the whole “is she isn’t she” thing seemed a bit strange.

Oh and glowy eye man just made me laugh every time he popped up but the story behind him was sad I guess.

hnoz

VIP Member
I'm a few episodes in and quite liking it. It has a lot of bad write ups about it not being scary but I don't think you can have high octane horror for a whole series. I agree that it is more of a creepy psychological/mystery show but I like that.

Meh

Chatty Member
Kind of put off watching it.

Only recently watched Hill House after a family member harassed me for over a year. I loved Hill House; the suspense, that constant unsettled feeling of trepidation. All the characters were really good in their own way and the story stood up.

have heard nothing but poor/disappointing things about Bly Manor. Which is a shame! Also... if they need England/Scottish/Irish accents just use native bloody actors/actresses. Perhaps the accents are too distracting for British ears?

nrs264

VIP Member
It started out good but I'm on episode 6 and starting to struggle a bit. I think my biggest issue is, like Hill House before it, it's just not that scary. It has the occasional jump moment but it's mainly a lot of talking without much moving forward plot wise, or scares.

Hello Kitty

VIP Member
I did say in an earlier post that I enjoyed it but I'm glad I don't have to hear 'perfectly splendid' anymore 😂

• Haha

doddler

I was really disappointed. Don’t get all the love for episode 8 either - that story dragged and could’ve been told in 15 mins, that was the worst episode for me, I was bored and sitting there like whens this gonna finish?

every time an episode ended with something dramatic and you think it’s going to liven up then the next episode was back to being dull. maybe the next series will be better.

Marylou

VIP Member
I was planning on watching this at the end of the month when I'm off for a week but was told it was shit :(

I enjoyed the first one but heard this one is really confusing and is just rubbish compared the the first one so it's really put me off
Watch with an open mind. I thoroughly enjoyed it and had no expectations. It's confusing at times but the story unfolds over the episodes and everything is explained.

Reactions: 2

littlepup

VIP Member
“she woke, she walked, she fucked about a bit, she popped back to the lake, she did it all over again the next day”. They’re all a bit dickheady.
Just finished it, absolutely howling at this re-cap 😂😂😂 ‘she fucked about a bit’ 😂😂... boyfriend felt the same as you.

Did find the ending quite moving. Still not sure I really understood what was going on with Hannah??

• Haha

Pizzapie

The casting is bizarre. The housekeeper is extremely posh and very funky, and the two brothers have completely different accents. One sounds like Prince Charles and one sounds like he’s on Eastenders 😂

• Haha