The Grand National

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So much ignorance. Apart from Christmas Eve/Day, racing takes place every day of the year. Where are you lot the rest of the time? If you dont like National Hunt racing, you cant say you dont mind flat racing. Horses die on the flat as well, the injuries are often more catastrophic due to the higher speeds and firmer ground.

I love horse racing. I know many people who rely and depend on the racing industry. I have owned race horses and looked after retired racehorses. The very small number of horses who die (I believe its something like 0.02% of all.horses in training) are bred for the job and if the worst does happen, are euthanized quickly and humanely. One of my horses broke a fetlock one evening in his field, and would have been in agony for hours before I found him.

Horse racing is a sport that gives you the lowest of lows but also the highest of highs. How many of you eat dairy? How do you feel about the calves which are removed from their mothers and slaughtered so her milk can be used in your coffee? How many of you eat eggs or egg products? How do you feel about the 7 billion male chicks which are macerated in grinders each year so you can have your omelettes? I bet you dont give it a second thought. I cannot understand anyone getting so upset about the death of such a small number of animals, which have been treated supremely during their lives and died doing what they were bred to do. The racing industry and farming industry are intrinsically linked, yet we never hear anyone protesting the deaths of all tbe animals which die daily because you like the taste of meat. Those animals die for your pleasure, just as sadly, horses sometimes do for a sport I enjoy. What do you think will happen to the tens of thousands of racehorses if racing was banned? There'll be a very, very small number going to their "forever homes".
Why so defensive? These protestors would like to see ALL racing banned, but the grand national is the most high profile race in the calendar and is watched and bet on by people who don’t usually follow the sport, so of course it’s going to attract more attention for their cause if they target it.

Reactions: 9
If all racing was banned tomorrow, how many horses would die? There are many animals in general who are treated like absolute tit day in, day out - these really aren't. Yes historically horses were utilised for work. They still are (and given a better life than many children in the UK...I've worked in both industries - veterinary and social care). They wouldn't all be "let free to roam" or have an ever increasing population of wild horses. They'd be culled down as no purpose - sad but true.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Massive gaslighting going on. Of course the horses were scared - protesters there or not. They are terrified, literally running for their lives.
Horses die at the national every year, nothing to do with protesters.
The whole event is dreadful. I live on Merseyside, and dread this every year. This year, we have blokes trying to look hard in peaky blinder caps, alongside women falling out of dresses, cellulite on show. I feel that it’s an open invitation for the press to laugh at scousers.

The worst part is crowds cheering, as horses fall to their deaths. I find it indefensible.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
So much ignorance. Apart from Christmas Eve/Day, racing takes place every day of the year. Where are you lot the rest of the time? If you dont like National Hunt racing, you cant say you dont mind flat racing. Horses die on the flat as well, the injuries are often more catastrophic due to the higher speeds and firmer ground.

I love horse racing. I know many people who rely and depend on the racing industry. I have owned race horses and looked after retired racehorses. The very small number of horses who die (I believe its something like 0.02% of all.horses in training) are bred for the job and if the worst does happen, are euthanized quickly and humanely. One of my horses broke a fetlock one evening in his field, and would have been in agony for hours before I found him.

Horse racing is a sport that gives you the lowest of lows but also the highest of highs. How many of you eat dairy? How do you feel about the calves which are removed from their mothers and slaughtered so her milk can be used in your coffee? How many of you eat eggs or egg products? How do you feel about the 7 billion male chicks which are macerated in grinders each year so you can have your omelettes? I bet you dont give it a second thought. I cannot understand anyone getting so upset about the death of such a small number of animals, which have been treated supremely during their lives and died doing what they were bred to do. The racing industry and farming industry are intrinsically linked, yet we never hear anyone protesting the deaths of all tbe animals which die daily because you like the taste of meat. Those animals die for your pleasure, just as sadly, horses sometimes do for a sport I enjoy. What do you think will happen to the tens of thousands of racehorses if racing was banned? There'll be a very, very small number going to their "forever homes".
Indeed. There's a lot of virtue signalling going on from many who don't comment on or even think about horse racing for 364 days of the year.

I wouldn't say so much about the protestors themselves because at least they're consistent in their values and regularly protest.

Reactions: 3
If the defence for the industry is that horses have access to the most basic of care then it's not exactly great. I don't care how good the food or the vet care is, it's basic care that all animals require

It's always questionable when people take the most "extreme" form of opinion when it comes to protests. These specific people may be arguing to end horse racing in general, but it doesn't mean that people would be banned from keeping horses as pets. Though there are undoubtedly many who think that any animal being kept as a pet should be banned because of some animal rights reasoning that has been taken to the extreme

Reactions: 2
I’ve got a family member who’s massively into horse racing so I’m well aware of how much racing there is, he watches racing from all over the world not just the UK. I always fall out with him about the Grand National as he always gives the same excuses about horses being well look after, what they are trained for etc. But the sheer amount of horses and jumps in this compared to other races I’ve caught glimpses of makes me feel sick. I haven’t been able to watch it for years. It has always seemed so wrong to me 😞

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Massive gaslighting going on. Of course the horses were scared - protesters there or not. They are terrified, literally running for their lives.
Horses die at the national every year, nothing to do with protesters.
The whole event is dreadful. I live on Merseyside, and dread this every year. This year, we have blokes trying to look hard in peaky blinder caps, alongside women falling out of dresses, cellulite on show. I feel that it’s an open invitation for the press to laugh at scousers.

The worst part is crowds cheering, as horses fall to their deaths. I find it indefensible.
It certainly appeals to a certain demographic doesn’t it? I went to Chester races for a family friends hen party some years ago now and it was so awful, full of pissed up and probably coked up chavs in cheap polyester suits and women in badly fitting Quiz body con dresses with over sized fascinators and skyscraper heels falling over everywhere. I saw one bloke who was in such a state he managed to drop and smash a bucket of champagne. It was chaotic, the atmosphere was awful and tense and I felt it could kick off at any moment. Me and my mum left early because we felt so on edge and wanted to get away.

Reactions: 7
Hill 16 was dead as soon as he hit the floor at the first. He wasn’t PTS, the screens around him were so that a dead horse wasn’t shown on tv.

It was particularly horrid watching today. They were not settled at the start, organisers obviously just wanted to get on with it. The shorter run to the first and the lower fences encourages the horses to jump at speed rather than back off and get up in the air. I do also feel that they need to cut the number of runners, 40 is just too many.

But I do agree with racing. I have a very utilitarian view. Racing provides millions with jobs and also funds a lot of veterinary research. These thoroughbreds would not be here if it wasn’t for racing, if racing was banned, they would have to be culled as they would not cope being turned out to fend for themselves.
I’d rather they lose the green screens completely and show the fate of these “much-loved” horses. Maybe more people would make the connection.

Makes me laugh how you apparently have to speak out about horse racing 365 days a year to be against it 🤣 People aren’t talking about n0nces 24/7 but if there’s a news story they’ll speak out, doesn’t meant they’re jumping on a bandwagon. Er, you never mentioned Aintree on 10th October, you obviously don’t care ✋🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Makes me laugh how you apparently have to speak out about horse racing 365 days a year to be against it 🤣 People aren’t talking about n0nces 24/7 but if there’s a news story they’ll speak out, doesn’t meant they’re jumping on a bandwagon. Er, you never mentioned Aintree on 10th October, you obviously don’t care ✋🏻
Plus the whole point of protests is often to raise awareness and give a platform for discussions about this that are a lot more public than someone in private or some random comment saying "this is bad". Realistically, the protestors achieved a part of their purpose already and it's a vital step for achieving the overall purpose

Reactions: 4
It certainly appeals to a certain demographic doesn’t it? I went to Chester races for a family friends hen party some years ago now and it was so awful, full of pissed up and probably coked up chavs in cheap polyester suits and women in badly fitting Quiz body con dresses with over sized fascinators and skyscraper heels falling over everywhere. I saw one bloke who was in such a state he managed to drop and smash a bucket of champagne. It was chaotic, the atmosphere was awful and tense and I felt it could kick off at any moment. Me and my mum left early because we felt so on edge and wanted to get away.
I think it appeals to all demographics, to be honest. From chavs like you describe all the way to upper class royals. So I'm not really sure this proves anything? 🤣

Totally. I found the atmosphere in Liverpool city centre dreadful yesterday. I was on my way back from work and couldn’t get home quick enough. It’s dreadful publicity that Liverpool really doesn’t need, and whilst many race goers at the National are scousers - more are not, travelling into the city, drunk before they even get there.

I do think the tide is turning against the Grand National. I found that this year, more people than ever are against it. A colleague was running a sweepstake yesterday - but most of us didn’t want to get involved in it, so it all fell rather flat.
The same colleague messaged our work group chat earlier, saying she watched the race on TV but ended up turning it off. I have not seen any footage from the Grand National for years, but I totally understand how she felt. Its such a sickening sight, seeing horses fall like that.

The 1 and a 1/2 brain cell proletariat have been instructed by the all powerful Tory masters that protest is bad and must be hated, so now the vitriol that is usually aimed at foreigners is now partially aimed at anyone protesting for anything that would make the world even a partially more empathetic and tolerant place to live.

It would be fun to directly ask anyone the reason they find their kicks at the suffering of a creature with no agency. See also fox hunting.

The 1 and a 1/2 brain cell proletariat have been instructed by the all powerful Tory masters that protest is bad and must be hated, so now the vitriol that is usually aimed at foreigners is now partially aimed at anyone protesting for anything that would make the world even a partially more empathetic and tolerant place to live.

It would be fun to directly ask anyone the reason they find their kicks at the suffering of a creature with no agency. See also fox hunting.
With respect, this is disingenuous. While some of the rhetoric I've seen aimed towards the protestors (eg on Twitter) has been over the top, not all of it is. Many people disagree with the protestors, but they doesn't mean they think the protestors are "bad" or that they "must be hated".

I actually respect protestors for standing up for what they believe in, I just disagree with their stance as I stated earlier. I'm not a Tory and have never voted Tory. No one's told me to have my viewpoint, it's just my opinion.

The fox hunting comparison is also unfair. That's a blood sport where people chase a fox down till it's torn apart by hounds. I don't need to explain why horse racing is a million miles away from that, as it's obvious.

I find with so many issues like this, hardly anyone wants an open and genuine conversation. They'd rather misrepresent their opponents and make sarky/passive aggressive comments about (rather than to) those they disagree with.

Reactions: 1

You never hear people protesting against the suffering of animals raised for meat and diary? You must be walking around with your eyes closed and fingers in your ears.

There are thousands of farm animals who are rescued and live out their lives as pets or in sanctuaries. They are loved and treated with respect. It is such a poor argument to say “we have to continue this awful sport which kills horses, because what would happen to them otherwise?”

Surprisingly, some people actually care about horses beyond a pay check. I hope one day you will too.

• Heart
It's absolutely bleeping disgusting and I honestly can't fathom how anyone can think this race is OK. I love horses and have ridden them for a large part of my life. You simply cannot truly love your horse and let it take part in GN. I would NEVER put a beloved pet in a situation where their life was at risk. I've heard all the excuses under the sun and they are all so flimsy:

1) they are so well looked after - yeah, so they are in the best shape TO WIN AND MAKE MONEY. As soon as they don't, they're gone.

2) Horses love to run. Yeah, on their own terms and often for short bursts.

3) Why do they keep running when they lose a rider if they didn't like it? It's called herd mentality and it's been drummed into them.

4) Horses refuse to run if they don't want to. Some do, but many will continue to run with injuries due to point 3.

I'm so glad the tide is beginning to turn on this race, the sooner it's gone, the better.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
You never hear people protesting against the suffering of animals raised for meat and diary? You must be walking around with your eyes closed and fingers in your ears.

There are thousands of farm animals who are rescued and live out their lives as pets or in sanctuaries. They are loved and treated with respect. It is such a poor argument to say “we have to continue this awful sport which kills horses, because what would happen to them otherwise?”

Surprisingly, some people actually care about horses beyond a pay check. I hope one day you will too.
You have no idea how much I care about horses. They have been my life since I was old enough to ride. How many of the 15,000 horses in training are you going to take in? I've had 3 of them. Believe me, you get some lovely ones, but on the whole racehorses are not for novices to look after. Horses are extremely expensive. Its not like caring for a rabbit. How much are you going to be donating to all these shelters to look after them? Where's the room going to come from to stable them all? Who's going to pay the staff to look after them at these charities? You're kidding yourself if you think they're all going to be living in lush green pastures.

I spoke to an animal rights activist a few years ago. When I asked what their solution would be if racing were to be banned, their answer was "it's not my problem". The irony of the protesters is that they are only happy when horses die. I think there was a 3 or 4 year period recently where there were no National deaths. The worst possible outcome for them.

The Grand National isn't going anywhere. It's makes the news for one day a year. I dont know why you all think theres anything special about the National. Its nothing more than a glorified handicap. Its only because the media build it up as "the Nation's race". They've made amazing improvements in safety and modernisation over the past 10 years. If you think the National is bad, try the Velka Pardubicka in the Czech Republic.

Each year, horse racing hovers between the 2nd and 3rd most attended sport in the UK, after football. The National is one of the few non‐football sporting events that gets high viewing figures. Banning racing would not only lead to 15,000 horses probably being sent to abbatoirs, but local communities which heavily rely on the industry would also suffer at its loss. The 4 days of the Cheltenham festival in March alone are worth £280 million to the local Cheltenham economy. I live in a city with a large racecourse. Hotels, bars, restaurants and transport links all benefit massively from it and many jobs depend on it. Racing in the UK alone supports around 85,000 jobs.

As for earlier comments about the delay to the National being detrimental to horses. Again, so much ignorance about the animals involved. Like someone whose only experience of football is watching the FA Cup final every year trying to explain the offside rule to Gary Lineker. These are not just sturdy Welsh cobs out for a hack. They are trained to the minute, highly-strung, wound‐up balls of kinetic energy. The vast majority of them know their job as soon as they get to a racecourse, and they want to be on with it. Anyone who has sat on a fizzy thoroughbred would know that any kind of delay or false start only adds to their propensity to bubble over. Certain horses would undoubtedly have been affected by the delay. You could see this by horses jig-jogging/sweating up, etc. Any of this could cause a horse to take a hold or overjump. The trainers know every little foible of each horse they train. They have every right to be put out by the protesters. Many of the horses will have had this as their target race all season.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6