The Grand National

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s really upsetting.
I’d watch it if I knew they would all get round safely. I grew up watching clips of Red Rum and thinking how wonderful he was. But it’s never without some horrible incidents and seems just as dangerous now despite the modifications.

Reactions: 5
The Daily Mail’s reporting is interesting. The main headline is about the protestors getting onto the track, but then underneath a huge story about the horse that died this afternoon. I can’t help but think the tide is slowly changing.

Reactions: 2
The Daily Mail’s reporting is interesting. The main headline is about the protestors getting onto the track, but then underneath a huge story about the horse that died this afternoon. I can’t help but think the tide is slowly changing.
I hope so. On Twitter if you search the grand National hashtag there are so many people saying it’s time for it to change and it’s cruel etc. more than I thought
If anyone does search that # pls beware there are upsetting videos as well 💔
There is a video of one falling but im not sure if it’s dark raven the one who died this afternoon or the one in the race that’s just happened I don’t really want to read the captions to find out.

Reactions: 3
I hope so. On Twitter if you search the grand National hashtag there are so many people saying it’s time for it to change and it’s cruel etc. more than I thought
If anyone does search that # pls beware there are upsetting videos as well 💔
There is a video of one falling but im not sure if it’s dark raven the one who died this afternoon or the one in the race that’s just happened I don’t really want to read the captions to find out.
There are, but there are also lots of gammon types blaming the protestors. You just know its because they love gambling on the geegees rather than having actually caring about the industry.

• Sad
There are, but there are also lots of gammon types blaming the protestors. You just know its because they love gambling on the geegees rather than having actually caring about the industry.
Does anyone know if the horses were tacked up and ready ? If could have made them anxious and fresh if they had to wait 💔. But it still is a disgusting sport and I hate this day every year

IMG_3354.jpeg
Hill sixteen. How bleeping sad. What a beautiful boy 💔

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
It's sad a horse was lost, but I don't agree with banning all horse racing, given thankfully deaths of horses are few and far between.

Reactions: 2
Hill 16 was dead as soon as he hit the floor at the first. He wasn’t PTS, the screens around him were so that a dead horse wasn’t shown on tv.

It was particularly horrid watching today. They were not settled at the start, organisers obviously just wanted to get on with it. The shorter run to the first and the lower fences encourages the horses to jump at speed rather than back off and get up in the air. I do also feel that they need to cut the number of runners, 40 is just too many.

But I do agree with racing. I have a very utilitarian view. Racing provides millions with jobs and also funds a lot of veterinary research. These thoroughbreds would not be here if it wasn’t for racing, if racing was banned, they would have to be culled as they would not cope being turned out to fend for themselves.

• Sad
Reactions: 9

The gaslighting from the racing industry is appalling. Trying to blame the protestors for delaying the race and causing the horses to become more distressed. What a load of bleeping bollocks.

Reactions: 10
Does anyone know if the horses were tacked up and ready ? If could have made them anxious and fresh if they had to wait 💔. But it still is a disgusting sport and I hate this day every year

View attachment 2102687Hill sixteen. How bleeping sad. What a beautiful boy 💔
I think they will have been. Said the protestors were on the course just after 5pm and the race was due to start at 5.15pm. My sister said it was just as the jockeys were getting on in the paddock and had to hold them in there until the protestors had been removed.

Poor boy 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Hill 16 was dead as soon as he hit the floor at the first. He wasn’t PTS, the screens around him were so that a dead horse wasn’t shown on tv.

It was particularly horrid watching today. They were not settled at the start, organisers obviously just wanted to get on with it. The shorter run to the first and the lower fences encourages the horses to jump at speed rather than back off and get up in the air. I do also feel that they need to cut the number of runners, 40 is just too many.

But I do agree with racing. I have a very utilitarian view. Racing provides millions with jobs and also funds a lot of veterinary research. These thoroughbreds would not be here if it wasn’t for racing, if racing was banned, they would have to be culled as they would not cope being turned out to fend for themselves.
I don’t mind flat racing why do they need so many jumps!!! It’s insane they need to change It!

I don’t mind flat racing why do they need so many jumps!!! It’s insane they need to change It!
See I think flat racing is worse. Riding one year old horses and racing at 2 years old. Many breakdown early. At least with NH they are left to mature until 4yrs old which is when most leisure horses are also ridden. A yearling is way too weak to be ridden, so racing them at 2 just doesn’t sit right with me.

Reactions: 5
So much ignorance. Apart from Christmas Eve/Day, racing takes place every day of the year. Where are you lot the rest of the time? If you dont like National Hunt racing, you cant say you dont mind flat racing. Horses die on the flat as well, the injuries are often more catastrophic due to the higher speeds and firmer ground.

I love horse racing. I know many people who rely and depend on the racing industry. I have owned race horses and looked after retired racehorses. The very small number of horses who die (I believe its something like 0.02% of all.horses in training) are bred for the job and if the worst does happen, are euthanized quickly and humanely. One of my horses broke a fetlock one evening in his field, and would have been in agony for hours before I found him.

Horse racing is a sport that gives you the lowest of lows but also the highest of highs. How many of you eat dairy? How do you feel about the calves which are removed from their mothers and slaughtered so her milk can be used in your coffee? How many of you eat eggs or egg products? How do you feel about the 7 billion male chicks which are macerated in grinders each year so you can have your omelettes? I bet you dont give it a second thought. I cannot understand anyone getting so upset about the death of such a small number of animals, which have been treated supremely during their lives and died doing what they were bred to do. The racing industry and farming industry are intrinsically linked, yet we never hear anyone protesting the deaths of all tbe animals which die daily because you like the taste of meat. Those animals die for your pleasure, just as sadly, horses sometimes do for a sport I enjoy. What do you think will happen to the tens of thousands of racehorses if racing was banned? There'll be a very, very small number going to their "forever homes".

Last edited:
  • Heart
A beautiful horse. Less than 30 seconds into a race and he's dead.
I know the protestors did not directly cause the casualties today but seeing the build up, the start was very rushed after that delay. It felt too chaotic, something was definitely 'off' compared to other years.

• Sad
See I think flat racing is worse. Riding one year old horses and racing at 2 years old. Many breakdown early. At least with NH they are left to mature until 4yrs old which is when most leisure horses are also ridden. A yearling is way too weak to be ridden, so racing them at 2 just doesn’t sit right with me.
Oh no that part is horrible I agree racing a 2 year old is barbaric.
They are both bad for different reasons.
I just don’t like how many are jumping at once over so many hurdles

And the green screens do not always mean a death. If any of you have attended a racecourse when a stricken horse gets up, you would realise how much racing g people appreciate these animals. See the reaction to Dysart Dynamo at Cheltenham last month.

So much ignorance. Apart from Christmas Eve/Day, racing takes place every day of the year. Where are you lot the rest of the time? If you dont like National Hunt racing, you cant say you dont mind flat racing. Horses die on the flat as well, the injuries are often more catastrophic due to the higher speeds and firmer ground.

I love horse racing. I know many people who rely and depend on the racing industry. I have owned race horses and looked after retired racehorses. The very small number of horses who die (I believe its something like 0.02% of all.horses in training) are bred for the job and if the worst does happen, are euthanized quickly and humanely. One of my horses broke a fetlock one evening in his field, and would have been in agony for hours before I found him.

Horse racing is a sport that gives you the lowest of lows but also the highest of highs. How many of you eat dairy? How do you feel about the calves which are removed from their mothers and slaughtered so her milk can be used in your coffee? How many of you eat eggs or egg products? How do you feel about the 7 billion male chicks which are macerated in grinders each year so you can have your omelettes? I bet you dont give it a second thought. I cannot understand anyone getting so upset about the death of such a small number of animals, which have been treated supremely during their lives and died doing what they were bred to do. The racing industry and farming industry are intrinsically linked, yet we never hear anyone protesting the deaths of all tbe animals which die daily because you like the taste of meat. Those animals die for your pleasure, just as sadly, horses sometimes do for a sport I enjoy. What do you think will happen to the tens of thousands of racehorses if racing was banned? There'll be a very, very small number going to their "forever homes".
Blimey. People are allowed to be upset by things and not be perfect, at least they’re trying to be better (I don’t eat meat, dairy or eggs so I’m allowed to have this opinion, right?)

• Heart