The frugality

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also, forgot to mention that those windows look so on trend that her house will look totally dated in about 5 years time and not because of old original features but because of the hip new things they shoved in it.

Reactions: 6
Also, forgot to mention that those windows look so on trend that her house will look totally dated in about 5 years time and not because of old original features but because of the hip new things they shoved in it.
As the previous posters said, they bite off more than they can chew.
Maybe this will be their forever home, otherwise those odd decisions that they made may put off some buyers.

1600425907990.png

can I also say that the window is too big, you can see the render on one side but not on the other.

Reactions: 2
Its possible the extension is that shape because that’s where the original kitchen/kitchen extension stops adjoining to a neighbours property. I dont know if you can extend right up to boundary that would require access to your neighbours property without their permission, or if you can even extend on aboundry line any more; can cause a lot of animosity and fall out if its slightly over the line or the builders do damage ect.
Also you don’t have to get planning permission if the extension is less than 3ft or something, so if they were only taking down an old bit of extension and addding a small amount of space that might be part of the reason in addition to the above. Or that‘s was my assessment on that odd little corner nook anyway! Could just be window positioning for catching sun but I doubt it.

Hmm. No matter that you put into a house it’ll date eventually so you might as well regret something you liked than regret something you only half wanted in the first place.

And omg I know, why did she get rid of the old bigger bathroom and not put it back, especially when Internal space matters so much in London? It was apparently one of the first things they did so unless they just acted then realised they couldn’t afford to add it back because it wouldn’t read it’s own value? Or again a boundary issue? She said it was leaky and had damp, but that could be fixed. She also said they knocked it down to bring light in to that back sitting room but you could have still done that by rebuilding that extension, making the back sitting room a little larger in that corner and adding a sky light, and still have a full on bathroom downstairs. it would make the room an odd shape but you could make it make sense by locating the door there rather than off the main hall then it would be completely separate from the kitchen which most people here seem to feel is really important.
or you could add a smaller bathroom with a little court yard Between the sitting room and the bathroom to still bring some light in. If you put a full length glazed door that slid across instead of inwards in the sitting room you wouldn’t lose any space really, and you could just put some plants in that space So you felt more connected to outside.

I love a house Reno and thinking about what I would have done. If you can’t tell. 😬 My favourite bit of tattle! I don’t even dislike Alex, just think they make some odd decisions sometimes.

Reactions: 3
Renovations with kids drain the life out of you. And losing twins.
She didn’t seem very happy in the new house before Peggy, let alone the twins.

They moved suburbs, didn’t they? Maybe the old suburb still feels like ‘home’?

She didn’t seem very happy in the new house before Peggy, let alone the twins.

They moved suburbs, didn’t they? Maybe the old suburb still feels like ‘home’?
They live in Wood Green, definitely not the suburbs but not central London if that’s where they were before

Its possible the extension is that shape because that’s where the original kitchen/kitchen extension stops adjoining to a neighbours property. I dont know if you can extend right up to boundary that would require access to your neighbours property without their permission, or if you can even extend on aboundry line any more; can cause a lot of animosity and fall out if its slightly over the line or the builders do damage ect.
Also you don’t have to get planning permission if the extension is less than 3ft or something, so if they were only taking down an old bit of extension and addding a small amount of space that might be part of the reason in addition to the above. Or that‘s was my assessment on that odd little corner nook anyway! Could just be window positioning for catching sun but I doubt it.

Hmm. No matter that you put into a house it’ll date eventually so you might as well regret something you liked than regret something you only half wanted in the first place.

And omg I know, why did she get rid of the old bigger bathroom and not put it back, especially when Internal space matters so much in London? It was apparently one of the first things they did so unless they just acted then realised they couldn’t afford to add it back because it wouldn’t read it’s own value? Or again a boundary issue? She said it was leaky and had damp, but that could be fixed. She also said they knocked it down to bring light in to that back sitting room but you could have still done that by rebuilding that extension, making the back sitting room a little larger in that corner and adding a sky light, and still have a full on bathroom downstairs. it would make the room an odd shape but you could make it make sense by locating the door there rather than off the main hall then it would be completely separate from the kitchen which most people here seem to feel is really important.
or you could add a smaller bathroom with a little court yard Between the sitting room and the bathroom to still bring some light in. If you put a full length glazed door that slid across instead of inwards in the sitting room you wouldn’t lose any space really, and you could just put some plants in that space So you felt more connected to outside.

I love a house Reno and thinking about what I would have done. If you can’t tell. 😬 My favourite bit of tattle! I don’t even dislike Alex, just think they make some odd decisions sometimes.
Thank you for explaining this. Would love to see her floor plan lol. So does she have a downstairs bathroom now?

I just recently encountered her and I agreed with you that she made weird decision. All things seem to me that they are biting more than they can chew. They mentioned that the reason they bought his place is because they want somewhere that is up and coming since they don’t have pension or saving, which is fair enough. If it was me, I would rather get a 550k house and do it up instead of living in a 700k house and do everything half-heartedly.

I am assuming her blog and speciality is to providing money saving advice but it just seems odd to me that they do not emphasize the importance of building up an emergency fund/saving fund. So important for self employed people to have an emergency saving fund.

I follow the financial diet on insta and YouTube and I absolutely love her approach when it comes to finances.

Reactions: 2
They live in Wood Green, definitely not the suburbs but not central London if that’s where they were before
They were in Tooting before. But I think they were much closer to her parents and sister in Tooting so I wonder if that has something to do with it, especially since lockdown.

I just recently encountered her and I agreed with you that she made weird decision. All things seem to me that they are biting more than they can chew.

I am assuming her blog and speciality is to providing money saving advice but it just seems odd to me that they do not emphasize the importance of building up an emergency fund/saving fund. So important for self employed people to have an emergency saving fund.
THIS 👆🏼is exactly what’s been bugging me about Alex / The Frugality! A blog about money and being frugle...yet as soon as lockdown happened they straightaway took out a mortgage holiday! I can not believe she of all people didn’t think it wise to have emergency savings?! I’m only a fairly new homeowner but have at least 6 months of mortgage payments saved just in case I’m made redundant and that was pre-Covid!

Does anyone know how many months pregnant she is? Surprised given her money and work situation since March’s lockdown that she thought now was a good time to have another baby...BUT she could have already been preggers I guess...

Ps. Does anyone else wish she’d buy some new glasses that don’t squish her nostrils and make her speech sound like she has a constant cold?!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I find it hard to comprehend being self employed and not having savings, or living within their means given their roles don’t have a set income. They seem to have stretched themselves a lot given their current jobs aren’t hugely secure. How she plans to have maternity leave is a mystery.

Have they put all their eggs in one basket with him in the business too!?

Reactions: 5
I find it hard to comprehend being self employed and not having savings, or living within their means given their roles don’t have a set income. They seem to have stretched themselves a lot given their current jobs aren’t hugely secure. How she plans to have maternity leave is a mystery.

Have they put all their eggs in one basket with him in the business too!?
For sure there’s family money to help out if needed. If that wasn’t available they would be more careful. Even if they don’t say it out loud or maybe not even admit to themselves but there’s a certain level of being at ease subconsciously if you know you can rely on others to help out. I never could rely on financial support from parents as they were simply too broke in a war torn country and I got a scholarship to study abroad. Growing up like that gives you a completely different perspective which, lucky for them, they never had to acquire.

Reactions: 8
Doesn’t her sister own/run their family locksmith business and Chris works there PT sometimes to help out? I’m sure she gets a cut of income if her sister is running it. Why she’s always promoting it. Alex never does something for nothing even if it’s for family I’m sure! 😂

• Haha
Does she have braces 😬? Why does she talk like that? And she always sounds like she has a blocked nose!

Reactions: 4
Gaaad she needs to give this frugal thing a rest - spending a bunch at IKEA after spending thousands on your new home and then saying you’ll stick to a chocolate bar from Lidl - it’s such weird virtue signalling. Basically her only frugal thing is to be cheap about what food they eat. Most people would rather be frugal about everything else but spend whatever extra they can on good quality meat and veg or to go out and eat occasionally, but she weirdly doesn’t seem to care at all about what they eat...

Reactions: 10
Their eating habits are so basic. They don’t have glasses because Chris drinks out of a can - MING!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.