The Frugality #3 content is free, don’t care if it’s drivel, shopping in Sainsbury’s, pretending it’s Lidl

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel like the charity shop debate needs a thread! Lots of valid points from both sides that I hadn’t even considered x

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Thank you for both your insights and you’re right, the sheer excess of stuff these days does change things and wasn’t something I considered!

Although I defs don’t think charity shops need to price at 10p, but my point is a £2 dinosaur is potentially accessible to a low income family whereas a £20 likely isn’t. Like it opens up a wider range of toys for that family, I’ll stop discussing this tho cos it is a debate that lots of people have diff opinions on so I’m derailing this thread - sorry! x
Using this example though it doesn’t seem fair that a charity should be expected to sell something for £2 instead of £20 and miss out on £18 towards their work, if it’s somewhere like Cancer Research (purely as an example) they’d essentially be donating that £18 of ‘value’ to a shopper rather than to their research.

I agree there’s very valid points on both sides- and to bring this back on topic, it is always telling how these discussions make it so obvious that so many of us are guided by doing our best to shop/consume responsibly (and I think this definitely applies to both sides of the charity shop debate) and genuinely try so hard to do make the most ethical decisions.

And then you have someone like Alex who consumes endlessly and has made a lucrative career from basically cosplaying a struggling ‘poor’ person 😡😡😡😡

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I feel like the charity shop debate needs a thread! Lots of valid points from both sides that I hadn’t even considered x
I can make one if people would like this? I know tattle have limited how many people can start new threads?

Agree tho I find it really interesting. Like as a new-ish mum trying to navigate the secondary market I want to do that ethically for my co-shoppers too. I’m in a few mums Facebook groups and happily buy from them but I also see posts from mums selling bits to make an unexpected bill or pay for a grotto visit etc and I think, is it fair I’m taking a “discounted” second hand present out of their hands potentially? But as someone else has pointed out, there is SUCH volume in that group that if they don’t get that specific ✌sustainable wooden car toy✌ they’ll get another within days so I feel okay with doing it. Also those groups are good cos they’ve got rough %s you’d expect to pay for a second hand of X brand versus cost, so it’s not like eBay (or by sounds of it some charity shops?) where stuff goes for 10-15% of original cost for no real reason!

Maybe consumption is such a hot mess that just minimising yours & opting for second hand bits it enough at this stage until the mega polluters get their tit in gear? Who knows, but majorly sorry if I offended anyone or made it look as if I think charity shops are only for a certain type of person, I don’t mean that at all x

Reactions: 2
Just to add onto the charity shop convo - I think anybody can buy from charity shops, as long as they are also giving back, which I don’t believe Alex does as she seems to sell the majority of stuff. I wouldn’t have a single issue with her buying second hand if she also donated back, especially the higher end stuff that gets sent to her for free anyway

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Just to add onto the charity shop convo - I think anybody can buy from charity shops, as long as they are also giving back, which I don’t believe Alex does as she seems to sell the majority of stuff. I wouldn’t have a single issue with her buying second hand if she also donated back, especially the higher end stuff that gets sent to her for free anyway
If I recall correctly she sells her baby stuff on eBay and donates everything to charity.

If I recall correctly she sells her baby stuff on eBay and donates everything to charity.
If that’s the case, fair play to her.
Having just had a row with a family member about Covid (nightmare!), I’m very aware of different perspectives. I’d like to give Alex the benefit of the doubt & think she’s not consciously misrepresenting anything. I mean that she genuinely thinks she is struggling given the people she’s surrounded by. But IMO the fact that she hid the extension while speaking about not being able to afford a side extension is very misleading.

I can afford new but buy secondhand stuff and also resell stuff. Primarily to reduce consumption but I particularly do it for baby/child toys that have a short life such as jumperoos/push along walkers
I’ve never considered the view that I’m taking that secondhand item from someone who could only afford to purchase it secondhand

I can afford new but buy secondhand stuff and also resell stuff. Primarily to reduce consumption but I particularly do it for baby/child toys that have a short life such as jumperoos/push along walkers
I’ve never considered the view that I’m taking that secondhand item from someone who could only afford to purchase it secondhand
I strongly feel again that there is definitely enough baby stuff to go around especially stuff like jumperoos. You could considering donating the odd thing. I’m do worry that if someone gets something v cheap or for free they are less likely to recycle it.

Reactions: 4
But they're so overrun with stuff they end up shipping loads of it to poorer countries who are absolutely drowning in clothes they'll never use. In my view it's better for the planet to sell clothes you no longer want where possible, as you know its going to someone who wants and will use it, rather than a bursting-at-the-seams charity shop where it might never be sold

Reactions: 8
It would be awful if people saw this and stopped donating stuff though- the shop I volunteer at is always crying out for stuff. If a charity doesn’t want the donations they will usually tell you when you go in?

I definitely agree about selling stuff yourself though- I’ve sold the odd thing on Depop and there’s something nice about knowing it’s going directly to someone who wants it. You don’t get that with charity shops and I know some stuff can sometimes end up sat about for a bit before being sold. I tend to do a mixture now, sell certain things whilst still donating to charity.

Also I’m starting to get really fed up of the narrative only ever being about what to do with clothes AFTER you’ve bought them. Would love to see influencers embrace and promote buying less in the first place- but of course that doesn’t make them dollar does it 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I strongly feel again that there is definitely enough baby stuff to go around especially stuff like jumperoos. You could considering donating the odd thing. I’m do worry that if someone gets something v cheap or for free they are less likely to recycle it.
i am the opposite and if I purchase second hand I will resell immediately once it’s served it’s purpose. I’ve given away the odd baby bit but generally get messed around when offering stuff for free. Anything I buy new I am more reluctant to sell on as I’m taking a financial hit/might need it again so I have a room full of baby items which were expensive in case I have another baby (v v unlikely)

Reactions: 1
I’ve made a thread to continue the second hand / charity shops convo if anyone’s interested x

i am the opposite and if I purchase second hand I will resell immediately once it’s served it’s purpose. I’ve given away the odd baby bit but generally get messed around when offering stuff for free. Anything I buy new I am more reluctant to sell on as I’m taking a financial hit/might need it again so I have a room full of baby items which were expensive in case I have another baby (v v unlikely)
I know what you mean. I have a co sleeper I bought when they were new on the market but now the second hand market is flooded with them & id take a massive hit. I dread hanging into baby stuff as I feel still having it in years to come will make me feel bad I’m not having another baby even though I only really want one for a couple of cuddles! I don’t want to do the work!

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.