The Fashion Bug Blog - Laura Wills

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also, whilst I’m not disputing the rented property or the facade that she may or may not be presenting, her Chanel collection alone must be worth circa £50k so there is obviously some wealth there.
Exactly, let’s not forget the shoe collection and high end clothes for everything! Re. Hospital fees .. as she had all natural/easy births ( I recall her saying no even epidural!) she wouldn’t have paid more than £10k per baby. Regardless, they must be fairly wealthy, for most that wouldn’t be an option. maybe some of her stuff is rented. (Or better maybe her, Flavia and the rest of her crew swap items round and take pics!). Let’s she if she spends as much when they all go to private school, 15k-17k per kid (pre- tax of hard earned cash!) ... interesting hearing from the new member, her version of Laura is almost at the other end from the mum whose child attended the same school....

Reactions: 3
I’ve quietly suspected this for a while. They’re clearly not on benefits and I’ve no doubt they earn well, but she’s certainly not the astronomically wealthy socialite she’d have us all believe. As others have pointed out it’s all smoke and mirrors, so fake. Her house is clearly not great as if it was she would be rubbing our faces in it rather than just showing the same edited little corners, and she clearly moves the furniture around for the photos. Her accent is what gets me, it’s so affected but then she betrays herself using words like ‘toilet’ and ‘living room’ (as ridiculous as it sounds no truly ‘posh’ person uses words like this, it’s always a giveaway) and - just my opinion, no offence intended - but she dresses her kids quite chavily- the black pleather leggings, big faux fur gilets- it’s just not how people who live in the world she tries to portray herself as coming from dress their kids. My sister is on the periphery of the London ‘influencer’ set and works for a well known luxury brand (probably shouldn’t say which!) and you wouldn’t believe how much of what you are seeing is gifted. And even if it’s not gifted, many things may well be rented, (the rental market for Chanel bags etc is huge right now) or borrowed, or bought and then quickly returned - hence so, so many bags and shoes you see once or twice and then never again. My sister is quite scathing of her and pointed out that you wouldn’t exactly be flogging Zara and next t shirts on consignement sites if you were actually loaded. It just all seems so fake to me especially when contrasted with the insta accounts of the legitimately wealthy / aristocratic / well connected etc. And as for the having 4 kids at a private hospital don’t be fooled it doesn’t necessarily mean you are rich, just have good insurance! It’s not uncommon for companies to offer this to employees, we have the same! I’ve had 3 kids at a private hospital and we are absolutely not wealthy at all!
As far as I’m aware no private health care insurance in UK covers maternity unless there’s complications?

Reactions: 4
I would have thought it depends on the insurance company not the company you’re working for they don’t tailor specific plans. I have the highest level of cover with mine but I’m british, maybe it’s different for expats.

I had a British friend working in London for a US fund and they were entitled to private mat cover... so it depends on your company.
Yes that’s similar to our situation. Point is it’s all very deceptive but there are so many clues that she tries to come across as grander than she is. The driving to more expensive locations to pose for photos thing does not surprise me at all

Reality is, who’s actually going to take pics outside their own house though? Most influencers take their pics in various other locations. I don’t find that out of the ordinary to be honest I’ve never assumed it was her own home she was stood in front of.

Reactions: 6
I would have thought it depends on the insurance company not the company you’re working for they don’t tailor specific plans. I have the highest level of cover with mine but I’m british, maybe it’s different for expats.
I thought this too until my friend! Just depends what set up your company has..

Sorry but it’s a bit ridiculous to say they aren’t that wealthy 🤣 they obviously are. Those hand bags are not rented come on! And as I said on here before yes the house is rented but she has fromental hand painted wall paper ( which is thousands!) in bedrooms, and some extremely expensive pieces of furniture ‘ they are clearly not on benefits ‘ come on of course they aren’t! They obviously have plenty of money and to be fair who cares if she’s from old money or not, not everyone who is wealthy is. I’m all for lolling at her smugness and unrealistic portrayal of life and motherhood but let’s not try make out she is ordinary or the fact she doesn’t own her home ( for whatever reason ) is a reason to look down our nose at her!

As far as I’m aware no private health care insurance in UK covers maternity unless there’s complications?
You are 100% right, they do not!

Sorry but it’s a bit ridiculous to say they aren’t that wealthy 🤣 they obviously are. Those hand bags are not rented come on! And as I said on here before yes the house is rented but she has fromental hand painted wall paper ( which is thousands!) in bedrooms, and some extremely expensive pieces of furniture ‘ they are clearly not on benefits ‘ come on of course they aren’t! They obviously have plenty of money and to be fair who cares if she’s from old money or not, not everyone who is wealthy is. I’m all for lolling at her smugness and unrealistic portrayal of life and motherhood but let’s not try make out she is ordinary or the fact she doesn’t own her home ( for whatever reason ) is a reason to look down our nose at her!

You are 100% right, they do not!
They’re not wealthy. She’s winging it. They’ve rented a house in the wrong side of Fulham - there’s a sewage works a stone throw away from their house. You are mistaken. It’s very easy to purport to having a vast handbag collection but if that’s your measurement of wealth you are mistaken. The truly rich do not show it. Nevertheless if she gives you something to “lol” that is fun for you. Again smoke and mirrors and a few rolls of wallpaper means nothing. Also she’s not a socialite. She just has some Instagram friends that’s all. She’s never at the smart London parties

Reactions: 3
They’re not wealthy.
I think it’s safe to say your definition of wealth may differ from the majority of other people’s. Rented house or not, they are still living in one of the most expensive, desirable postcodes in the country. She still is able to afford to have four children in central London, pay for private healthcare, private education, employ domestic staff, go on multiple foreign holidays a year, has a vast disposable income. All without working a conventional job herself. If you are a fellow KP school parent then it doesn’t necessarily surprise me that she might not fit into what appears to be a fairly narrow definition of what it is to be wealthy. But the reality is Laura has access to resources most people could only dream of.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I don’t think anyone is looking down their nose at anyone who rents their home! Or cares whether someone has old or new money. It’s just interesting when you look at bit deeper and realise how much of what you are seeing is fake. I’m pretty sure a lot of the ‘expensive furniture’ you see in these people’s posts has been gifted, especially when it’s tagged. As for the bags… my sister knows girls that will buy designer handbags, pose for one or two photos, and then either return them or resell them for pretty much the original retail value. there are also many quite elite luxury rental companies around these days where you can become a member and rent a designer dress or handbag for a weekend or whatever, not sure why you find this idea so incredulous, but if you believe everything you see you are playing right into these influencers hands!

Reactions: 2
I think the difference here is that whilst she may not be wealthy by super rich titled London standards, compared to the vast majority of the UK population she is extremely well off. My OH earns a good salary, we’re financially ‘comfortable’ but we certainly wouldn’t drop £20k on a weeks holiday in the Cotswolds. (Going from memory on how much it cost here.)

As a northerner, can I ask what the wrong side of Fulham is?
No idea but a friend lives in Fulham, rents a smaller house than Laura amd pays over £5k a month. Right or wrong side, Fulham ain’t cheap.

Reactions: 9
The bits around Parson’s Green/Hurlingham Park are most desirable. The rest varies. As Dizzy said, none of it is cheap, and they have at least 6 bedrooms.

I’ve mentioned it before, but had they bought that house when they moved in they would have lost money on it at this point. Central London property prices have tanked over the last few years. If they have their money invested elsewhere, e.g. the stock market (her husband is a Hedgie, so highly likely), it was a very savvy move to rent and not buy.

They’re not wealthy. She’s winging it. They’ve rented a house in the wrong side of Fulham - there’s a sewage works a stone throw away from their house. You are mistaken. It’s very easy to purport to having a vast handbag collection but if that’s your measurement of wealth you are mistaken. The truly rich do not show it. Nevertheless if she gives you something to “lol” that is fun for you. Again smoke and mirrors and a few rolls of wallpaper means nothing. Also she’s not a socialite. She just has some Instagram friends that’s all. She’s never at the smart London parties
She spends more than the average family earns in a year on clothes per month. She is wealthy, perhaps not to the standard you are alluding to, but come on, open your eyes! People are going to food banks and you are trying to make out they are poor 🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Basically the end that doesn’t border Chelsea, closer to the pumping station.

This thread is just getting too weird with people claiming that Laura isn’t wealthy. Her rented townhouse there will still be between 6-8k a month in rent, added to that the fees at Mila’s school are 21k a year and Annoushka’s nursery is between 10-15k a year depending on whether she does half/full days. Her housekeeper/nanny (who is full time) will be another 22-25k a year and that’s a conservative estimate. Their spend simply for maintaining their housing, education, and childcare will be somewhere within the region of 150-200k per year and that’s even before you factor in disposable income for holidays, clothing, meals out, activities etc.

Yes, she may not be old money or be as wealthy as she portrays herself to be and yes she does flog her kids’ old tat on ebloggers but the big ticket items are actually being funded by them themselves….she’s not being gifted that townhouse, private school education, nanny etc.

Also can we stop mentioning where her kids go to school. Whilst she plasters her kids’ faces on the internet, she’s never actually mentioned their schools/nurseries on her feeds before.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Basically the end that doesn’t border Chelsea, closer to the pumping station.

This thread is just getting too weird with people claiming that Laura isn’t wealthy. Her rented townhouse there will still be between 6-8k a month in rent, added to that the fees at Mila’s school are 21k a year and Annoushka’s nursery is between 10-15k a year depending on whether she does half/full days. Her housekeeper/nanny (who is full time) will be another 22-25k a year and that’s a conservative estimate. Their spend simply for maintaining their housing, education, and childcare will be somewhere within the region of 150-200k per year and that’s even before you factor in disposable income for holidays, clothing, meals out, activities etc.

Yes, she may not be old money or be as wealthy as she portrays herself to be and yes she does flog her kids’ old tat on ebloggers but the big ticket items are actually being funded by them themselves….she’s not being gifted that townhouse, private school education, nanny etc.

Also can we stop mentioning where her kids go to school. Whilst she plasters her kids’ faces on the internet, she’s never actually mentioned their schools/nurseries on her feeds before.
Yep to all of this. I think the new poster is obvs a fellow school mum or similar, with an axe to grind. It’s getting weird. Laura is loaded by 97% of every other British persons standards, but yes agree she’s not as wealthy perhaps as she is trying to portray. And yes I agree the fact she says pardon, toilet and living room is a huge giveaway that she’s not old school😂. Think I commented that yonks ago. But that doesn’t matter, just made me laugh as my husband is so posh I was clueless re this before I met him… and in those circles people really do notice, sadly. Thankfully my husband doesn’t give a tit, but my mother in law did 🙄🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 5
There’s an awful lot of snobbery going on in some of these posts. Just because someone isn’t an aristocrat or dresses their children a certain way it doesn’t mean they are not wealthy for goodness sake. I know of billionaires who you wouldn’t even know to look at the way they dressed, what car they drove or what circles they moved in what they were worth.

Renting in London can be just as expensive if not more than having a mortgage in terms of monthly payments. They are not very old, perhaps they haven’t quite saved the down payment yet for what they want. Regardless they clearly have the money to pay the rent, they’re not living in social housing are they. And I know what you mean by the ‘wrong side’ of Fulham, but even so as has been said Fulham, on ether side isn’t cheap compare to the rest of the UK, or even most parts of London for that matter. Combine that with the school fees, private health care, nanny, housekeepers, holidays….Things that are far beyond the reach of most people. You could perhaps say they live beyond their means (hence the reselling of clothes) but not all of its going on credit cards, they are wealthy by UK standard there’s absolutely no disputing that.

And I do not think for one minute the bulk of her bag collection is rented, she’s perhaps rented for an occasion but I don’t see anything wrong with that if it’s not something you are going to use repeatedly.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.