The Depression Thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do you do to keep yourself calm if you have anxiety? CBT didn't work for me

Reactions: 2
What do you do to keep yourself calm if you have anxiety? CBT didn't work for me
I’m so sorry CBT didn’t work for you, I’ve not found it helpful either.
I used to get pretty bad anxiety and always found this technique helpful. You can change it around if there’s a way that works better for you.
Another thing that helped is I would pick a colour and count how many things I could see in that colour. Or I would just focus on the feeling of my feet on the ground. I really hope there‘s something that helps you, I know it’s different for everyone though.

9D23EDB3-8940-4C16-AFA0-CC1EA3FA701E.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi, ive just started sertraline this week for depression and anxiety.
Ive never been medicated before despite being depressed since I was a kid. My anxiety got really bad about 8 years ago and I had CBT. I had a breakdown about 4 years ago and had counselling.
Although I have learnt to cope with things not going right through my therapies, I am at a stage of complete emotional burnout. I'm not a low as I was during my breakdown but my complete disinterest in doing anything, and the state of my house made me ask for help.

I have always seen medication as a bad thing, like I was giving up. Im just so tired of fighting with my emotions every day though.

Anyway I have a really dry mouth atm which is on the side effects 🙄👍🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m so sorry CBT didn’t work for you, I’ve not found it helpful either.
I used to get pretty bad anxiety and always found this technique helpful. You can change it around if there’s a way that works better for you.
Another thing that helped is I would pick a colour and count how many things I could see in that colour. Or I would just focus on the feeling of my feet on the ground. I really hope there‘s something that helps you, I know it’s different for everyone though.

View attachment 624825
Thank you I will try this. I need to find something because I cant cope

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi, ive just started sertraline this week for depression and anxiety.
Ive never been medicated before despite being depressed since I was a kid. My anxiety got really bad about 8 years ago and I had CBT. I had a breakdown about 4 years ago and had counselling.
Although I have learnt to cope with things not going right through my therapies, I am at a stage of complete emotional burnout. I'm not a low as I was during my breakdown but my complete disinterest in doing anything, and the state of my house made me ask for help.

I have always seen medication as a bad thing, like I was giving up. Im just so tired of fighting with my emotions every day though.

Anyway I have a really dry mouth atm which is on the side effects 🙄👍🏻
Hi,
sorry to hear you are at such a low point ❤

Please don’t be so harsh on yourself. You have made the right decision for yourself, so please don’t feel like you are giving up. If anything asking for help shows how brave you are, and I’m very proud of you for being so strong!
I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the medication will help you feel better very soon xx

Hi,
sorry to hear you are at such a low point ❤

Please don’t be so harsh on yourself. You have made the right decision for yourself, so please don’t feel like you are giving up. If anything asking for help shows how brave you are, and I’m very proud of you for being so strong!
I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the medication will help you feel better very soon xx
Thanks. I just hope it helps. I'm fed up living like a miserable zombie lol I'm tired of never wanting to do anything and having to force myself to do the most basic of tasks

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi all, hope its okay to jump in.
I've had on/off depression & anxiety since my teens (late 20s now) I had CBT about 8/9 years ago which did help somewhat.
The anxiety is always there, just some days are better than others. Depression on the other hand seems to be controlled for a while, then I'll go into a huge spiral
I'm currently in one of those spirals and I think its Post natal depression, little one is 7 months old.
I feel so guilty though because I have what a lot of couples struggle to get, what do I have to be depressed about?!
I can only describe it as every day feels like a slog, wading through mud almost. Little tasks feel like the hardest thing ever & I'm very very irritable.
I've never been on Anti D's because I was scared I'd get reliant on them or they'd turn me into a zombie with zero emotion.
Maybe it is time to bite the bullet though and go to the GP and see if I can try some medication.
I love my baby to pieces 🥰 I dont want them growing up with a depressed, grumpy mummy.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Hi all, hope its okay to jump in.
I've had on/off depression & anxiety since my teens (late 20s now) I had CBT about 8/9 years ago which did help somewhat.
The anxiety is always there, just some days are better than others. Depression on the other hand seems to be controlled for a while, then I'll go into a huge spiral
I'm currently in one of those spirals and I think its Post natal depression, little one is 7 months old.
I feel so guilty though because I have what a lot of couples struggle to get, what do I have to be depressed about?!
I can only describe it as every day feels like a slog, wading through mud almost. Little tasks feel like the hardest thing ever & I'm very very irritable.
I've never been on Anti D's because I was scared I'd get reliant on them or they'd turn me into a zombie with zero emotion.
Maybe it is time to bite the bullet though and go to the GP and see if I can try some medication.
I love my baby to pieces 🥰 I dont want them growing up with a depressed, grumpy mummy.
I just started medication this week. Its too early to say if its going to help but the relief of telling my husband how I feel and telling a GP has really changed my mindset already.

My mother was depressed when I grew up which I definitely think hasn't helped me with emotion regulation. I was always the weird kid that didn't cry at bambi and found it hard to show affection.

I dont have kids but I feel like a lot of people put them first (to their own detriment) which seems the right thing on paper but its like the oxygen mask analogy. If you make sure you are healthy, then that helps your child to be healthy too!

Reactions: 8
I’m really struggling at the moment. I’ve been depressed and massively anxious since the age of 4 and I’m in my 20s now.

currently my mental health is so bad that I don’t go out and see anyone, my moods swing massively one way or the other so my life flips between fully on track and completely lost the plot and it’s so upsetting. Ive had years of CBT of all kinds, counselling and medication for depression that hadn’t helped. I’ve had a high couple of months which resulted in me getting £6000 into debt buying stuff I wouldn’t normally with no thought process then I suddenly just crashed and want to die again and don’t see the point in living. It’s exhausting as I’m either completely obsessive and trying to control everything and when something happens I lose the plot and I’m too depressed to do anything other than lay on the sofa and cry for months. I’m not suicidal, I just want the swings and the pain and the thoughts to stop if that makes sense. I referred myself in January as I began to think I could have something more ‘complex and serious’ than depression that has to be tackled in a different way but I won’t even be seen until the end of July.
I’m so, so sorry to read this, please hang in there as we are nearly in July and hopefully some help is close. Keep talking, you’re not alone x

• Heart
Hi again everyone! It’s so lovely to have this thread for support and advice ❤ MH is still a bit of a taboo topic in my group of friends and it’s just fantastic to be able to express your true feelings and emotions here.

@Penguin86: I absolutely second @Sideboard Bob’s technique, it works really well for a lot of people, myself included. It’s the only thing that helps me with panic attacks when I don’t want to take anything else. And I know it sounds cliché, but exercise, be it yoga, running or walking, can be pretty good for you, too. I absolutely hate sports but I make myself go on a run every day just to distract myself and focus on my body instead of my mind (I hope this makes sense, I don’t really know how to explain it). Good luck, I hope you find something that helps you! 💕

@Elisha97: I’m very sorry! I know how it feels full well, please hang in there! You are not alone, I’m always here if you need somebody to talk to, just tag me so I know x

I just wanted to update and share my experience with Prozac/Fluoxetine.

I’ve been taking it for a month now and while I do feel much better, I feel like I’ve swapped my depression for side effects? I would still take them over
suicidal thoughts, apathy and mild ED syptoms
, but lately I’ve been having hot flashes when it’s already hot and muggy, it’s tough! I‘ve always been more a breakfast person but now I struggle with queasiness and nausea every morning so I have to make myself eat. I still think I‘ve been much, much better since being put on medication, and these side effects are apparently very common and “normal”, but it’s just so confusing. Sex is another thing, I’ve always had a highish sex drive, but not anymore. Now it takes me ages to orgasm so I just can’t be bothered to go through the whole thing. It is a shame because sex has always helped me relax, but I guess that’s the price you pay

So that’s it for now, I really hope some of you might find it helpful. I tried my best to blur out all TMI/sensitive info, but I have this tendency to overdo the spoilers :)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Found this thread after not being able to sleep all night, it’s been really emotional reading everyone’s experiences, my heart goes out to you all.

I’ve been depressed in some form for as long as I can remember really. Anxiety has plagued my life too but that’s definitely gotten worse as I’ve gotten older and I realised what it was. I think it stems from childhood, not that I had a terrible childhood but looking back I was bullied quite badly from quite a young age at school and there was a lot going on in my family for a period of time which I think affected me more than I realised. I also realised that as a child back then I wasn’t supported and guided by my family as well as I could have been which maybe didn’t help me feel very secure growing up and contributed to some of my MH issues I deal with today. Not that dwelling on the past helps anything though.

I was on sertraline for a couple of years a few years back, they did help but I ended up being on the highest dose in the end. I got bored of taking them and started forgetting to take them so I stopped picking up my prescription and stopped taking them cold Turkey (not the best idea I know). I definitely wouldn’t recommend this, all I had was brain zaps, mentally I didn’t notice a huge change, but the zaps were annoying enough and lasted a few weeks. If I ever go on meds again and decide to stop them, I’ll definitely stop them properly next time rather than take a silly risk with my mental health. Never tried talking therapies or counselling, not very good at this whole self referral system we have in England, it scares me to take that step for some reason. It took me forever to eventually pluck up the courage to see my gp for meds in the first place.

Since being off meds I’ve mostly been coping. I self medicate with cbd and some thc which does help and I can stop it when ever with no brain zaps. I tend to have good days and bad days but I never feel fully ok really. There’s always something stressful on my mind dragging me down and I can’t ever really turn it off. Sometimes I have nights like tonight where I can’t shut my eyes without my brain going off on what I call an anxious tangent no matter what techniques I try to distract myself. Every day is a bit of a slog really even when I feel ok, some days I can barely force myself to do normal every day tasks which makes me feel so useless and lazy. My house ends up in a state sometimes which makes my mood even worse until I eventually can’t stand it any longer and sort it out but I wish I could just stay on top of it to begin with because life would be so much easier.

I think for me most of the time I am just about keeping it together. Like I said every day feels like a slog, but I think I’ve just accepted that this is just part of who I am, I am just a moody witch sometimes because my brain is a bit wonky. Don’t get me wrong I’m not miserable all the time and I can still have fun and a laugh, but I can’t ever really see a life where I am completely free from depression and anxiety as much as I wish that wasn’t the case.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Does anyone else experience a weird sensation in their feet? Kind of like pins and needles but not. It's really frustrating.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone else experience a weird sensation in their feet? Kind of like pins and needles but not. It's really frustrating.
I’ve never had that but it sounds annoying. I was thinking about things that help with anxiety, your post reminded me about the physical symptoms of it. It’s worth speaking to your doctor about it (if you’ve not already, sorry this is so obvious). I used to take Propranolol which helps with the physical effects of anxiety. Keeping my fingers crossed you, I know it’s a nightmare but it can get better x

I’ve never had that but it sounds annoying. I was thinking about things that help with anxiety, your post reminded me about the physical symptoms of it. It’s worth speaking to your doctor about it (if you’ve not already, sorry this is so obvious). I used to take Propranolol which helps with the physical effects of anxiety. Keeping my fingers crossed you, I know it’s a nightmare but it can get better x
My other thing is scratching. I scratch myself a lot when I'm anxious/stressed. I did go through a period of picking my skin until I bleed

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My other thing is scratching. I scratch myself a lot when I'm anxious/stressed. I did go through a period of picking my skin until I bleed
I pick my skin, too, when I’m anxious and stressed out. Then I feel bad about myself because of the scarring (I mainly pick my face). I wonder if doctors or MH professionals can help reduce picking or scratching.

I have an awful nail biting habit related to my anxiety and what helps me is keeping my hands busy. A fidget toy helps me a lot (when I haven’t lost the bloody thing).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.