The Depression Thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t know what’s up with me - I think it’s my hormones but I’m so up and down. One day I’m happy and telling my boyfriend I love him or having fun with my friends and then I’ll have a few low days where I’ll want to end my relationship, or cut certain people out of my life and just be on my own. I was stable when I had my contraceptive implant and didn’t have low days like this. It’s nothing anyone has done but I can’t help feeling like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
i’ve been having a weird few hormone days too - those three days in the run up to my period are never fun but they’ve been particularly bad this month.

i think i’ve mentioned this before on this thread but i had a particularly bad 2021 in losing my two remaining grandparents quite close together (and also being ghosted by someone i was in a relationship with) and i guess it’s made me incredibly preoccupied with both death and what my old age is going to be like as i’m long-term single and don’t want children. i don’t fear death at all but i do fear aging, if that makes any sense.

i couldn’t sleep last night from thinking about what might happen if i fall alone at home when i’m 80 and was researching retirement communities in my area at 2am. i’m 36, this is ridiculous. hopefully my brain calms down when my hormones do.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Does anyone have a gp that doesn’t listen? I know it’s more than ‘just depression’ as he puts it but he won’t refer me to see a psychiatrist to get a definitive diagnosis. I can’t afford to go private as it’s way out of my price range. I feel like I’m stuck in limbo and no one is listening to me.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone have a gp that doesn’t listen? I know it’s more than ‘just depression’ as he puts it but he won’t refer me to see a psychiatrist to get a definitive diagnosis. I can’t afford to go private as it’s way out of my price range. I feel like I’m stuck in limbo and no one is listening to me.
Can you see another GP?
Contact the practice manager and ask why a referral is out of the question? You have to be a pain in the arse.

Does anyone know how long a GP is supposed to take to get back to you when you're a new member, if at all? On their website it says to fill out the form, which I did cause I wanted to go and actually do something about my depression/anxiety and I've literally heard nothing and on my NHS app the address of my GP hasn't changed from my old one (which I can't get too anymore) 🙃
I've also been putting off ringing them up because of anxiety/social anxiety, and i hate talking to people at GP surgeries/people in charge of anything cause I always feel like they think I'm completely dumb and they always act so patronising.

Does anyone know how long a GP is supposed to take to get back to you when you're a new member, if at all? On their website it says to fill out the form, which I did cause I wanted to go and actually do something about my depression/anxiety and I've literally heard nothing and on my NHS app the address of my GP hasn't changed from my old one (which I can't get too anymore) 🙃
I've also been putting off ringing them up because of anxiety/social anxiety, and i hate talking to people at GP surgeries/people in charge of anything cause I always feel like they think I'm completely dumb and they always act so patronising.

You haven't mentioned how long you've waited so far but unfortunately they can take as much time as they like. My GP has known me since birth and it is still impossible to get an appointment with her unless booking 6+ weeks in advance. RecentlyI had to go to another GP in the practice as I couldn't wait. This took an email and 3 phone calls from me to stress how important this appointment was for me. Even then it was a 12 day wait.

Are there any walk in clinics near you? I lived in a different city for college and there was a great walk in clinic that you could book online and usually be seen next day, just have to fill in some details. This could be a good filler appointment for you until you can get to your trusted GP!

You haven't mentioned how long you've waited so far but unfortunately they can take as much time as they like. My GP has known me since birth and it is still impossible to get an appointment with her unless booking 6+ weeks in advance. RecentlyI had to go to another GP in the practice as I couldn't wait. This took an email and 3 phone calls from me to stress how important this appointment was for me. Even then it was a 12 day wait.

Are there any walk in clinics near you? I lived in a different city for college and there was a great walk in clinic that you could book online and usually be seen next day, just have to fill in some details. This could be a good filler appointment for you until you can get to your trusted GP!
Thank you for the suggestion of the walk in clinic, there is one in the next town over which should be easy to get to. It's been two months now, and I just wish they'd at least acknowledge that i've done the forms so I know that i've done them correctly lmao. I think i just need to suck it up and ring them but i find GP receptionists so patronising 😅

I'm really struggling with recurring anxiety and depression. I'm on sertraline 50mg but i seems to have long periods where I'm fine and then suddenly I'll get overwhelmed and exhausted. I struggle to get into work and then get more and more anxious and depressed. It's been this same cycle for 15years and it's completely exhausting.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I still feel like hurting myself, every day. It’s become so normal to me, it just feels like an itch. I feel so annoyed with myself, then my brain automatically thinks imagine stabbing yourself or breaking your own arm.

I’ve just got used to it now but it’s not normal is it.

I would never act on it, I tie myself up in knots and get exhausted trying not to, but I know I never would.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.