The Daly Dish and Mister Dish

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just listened to Gina and Karols radio interview where she said she didn’t know about her babies Down’s syndrome until he was born. Gosh. I had assumed they found out before. They said they only felt pure love and happiness. Bless them, for just coping so well and seeing the bright side of things ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Just listened to Gina and Karols radio interview where she said she didn’t know about her babies Down’s syndrome until he was born. Gosh. I had assumed they found out before. They said they only felt pure love and happiness. Bless them, for just coping so well and seeing the bright side of things ❤
Yeah I listened to it too. I was wondering before I heard it whether they had known in advance or not. The same happened one of my friends where she only found out when the baby was born. He definitely has been born to the right family.

Wow, that was a lot to take in at a hugely emotional
Time. He is an absolutely beautiful little boy.

Reactions: 1
Prob not the right thread to ask this but how come there is no proper prenatal testing for Down syndrome in Ireland?

Prob not the right thread to ask this but how come there is no proper prenatal testing for Down syndrome in Ireland?
There is a ‘test’ at 12 weeks but only picks up 70% of cases. You can opt for a more invasive amniotic test but there is a risk of miscarriage here and given Gina’s history, understandably it was not something they were keen on I’d imagine. Sometimes DS babies can have heart or intestinal
Issues which can be picked up on a scan.
Luckily Gene had none of these complications it would appear , is an adored and absolutely beautiful little boy.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I
Yeah I feel Ireland is behind with testing for it and other things. I know in the UK they do screening as standard. I know you can get the Non invasive prenatal genetic blood test usually known as NIPT which checks for a few different genetic conditions including down syndrome. But you have to pay privately for it I think it's around 400 euro and not everyone knows about it. I think it would be good to aware of things before birth so you can be more prepared or come to terms with it etc.

Gene is a gorgeous baby he seems an absolute dote💕

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I
Yeah I feel Ireland is behind with testing for it and other things. I know in the UK they do screening as standard. I know you can get the Non invasive prenatal genetic blood test usually known as NIPT which checks for a few different genetic conditions including down syndrome. But you have to pay privately for it I think it's around 400 euro and not everyone knows about it. I think it would be good to aware of things before birth so you can be more prepared or come to terms with it etc.

Gene is a gorgeous baby he seems an absolute dote💕
Ya I know in the uk they do a quad test that detects it very early on and also a nuchal translucency test comes standard.. I was absolutely shocked that only a 12 week and 32 week scan was guaranteed in the hospital I was in!
Gene really is a beautiful baby and I wish them all the best x

Ya I know in the uk they do a quad test that detects it very early on and also a nuchal translucency test comes standard.. I was absolutely shocked that only a 12 week and 32 week scan was guaranteed in the hospital I was in!
Gene really is a beautiful baby and I wish them all the best x
I know it is shocking especially when the tests are easily enough done. Hopefully they will roll something out similar sooner rather than later but I won't hold my breath😏 xx

• Heart
I don’t even trust tests. My friend had a cousin who was DS so she paid for the test. Showed nothing. Her little boy didn’t live long and couldn’t move his legs. It’s was never picked up on. I think Ireland is very behind scan wise. I got a private scan up north I could see everythjng. Got one two days later in southern hospital and couldn’t see a thing.

• Heart
I don't know if it's "the" reason, but termination wasn't legal in Ireland up until the last few years (and I think even now a lot still have to go to England)
But a lot of babies who would be born with DS, their parents are routinely offered termination in the UK, and other countries.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I don't know if it's "the" reason, but termination wasn't legal in Ireland up until the last few years (and I think even now a lot still have to go to England)
But a lot of babies who would be born with DS, their parents are routinely offered termination in the UK, and other countries.
I think you are correct. I couldn’t get a straight answer from anyone in regards to this. It’s a disgrace Ireland is so behind with this sort of thing. It would be nice if parents would be able to prepare themselves for what is to come. A DS diagnosis doesn’t automatically mean termination.. also edwards syndrome and patau syndrome would be detected on those tests and those conditions mostly result in death. The parents should have a right to tests and to know! This country is such a joke in regards to maternity care and scans/testing.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Not to derail, but something that also needs to be tested for so that people can prepare/ educate themselves is fragile x syndrome. Most common cause of inherited intellectual disability and probably completely under diagnosed in Ireland as just passed off as autism. Often dual diagnosis, but the testing isn’t being done. Even post birth.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
God is it just me or would these 2 sell their soul for a bit of content. Gina only recently lost her dad, bless him. But Jesus take some time to yourselves. New baby, bereavement etc. They'd go to the opening of an envelope at this stage. #this, that and the other

Reactions: 6
God is it just me or would these 2 sell their soul for a bit of content. Gina only recently lost her dad, bless him. But Jesus take some time to yourselves. New baby, bereavement etc. They'd go to the opening of an envelope at this stage. #this, that and the other
I had stopped watching these 2 as their page has gone in a completely different direction. I didn't realise her dad had passed.

Reactions: 4
I'm sorry but how they have got another cookbook deal is beyond me. They literally never cook on their page no more.

Reactions: 8
Is their Eddie Rocket's collab the final nail in the coffin of what made them? Far from slimming world recipes that made us follow them. Won't be buying book #3