The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I truly believe The Queen should have allowed Charles to marry camilla when he wanted to back in the 70s. Diana could have gone on to marry who she loved and still been with us today. Tampon gate was just a cringy conversation between to people that should be together. The truths that have come out about the Bashir interview, someone needs to be held accountable. Plus she wasn’t as innocent as she made out. Julia Carlings life was turned upside down by Diana chasing Will Carling.
Yes I agree they should have been allowed to marry. Same with Margaret and Peter Townsend. If they had realised the error of their ways, it would have been their decision., they wouldn't have been forced into it. I suppose all those divorces have taught the Royals that they should just do that. In the past, it wouldnt have mattered as they would have just put up with it and lived in separate palaces and had mistresses but not divorced.

Reactions: 7
Jesus, why couldn’t they have shot the kids? That was bloody awful.

Reactions: 3
Jesus, why couldn’t they have shot the kids? That was bloody awful.
History nerd incoming, sorry. They tried. The smoke and dust from the shattering plaster made it impossible to see properly to aim after the initial bout of shots, and the ‘firing squad’ were also alerted of the facts that the sounds of the shooting could be heard from outside so were told to bludgeon and stab them to death instead.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I was underwhelmed. Surprised they didn't include Paul Burrel. Just seemed too focused on Di and Charles. Much preferred the previous seasons. I did warm to Mohamed Al-Fayed. Thought Camilla was excellent.

Reactions: 10
I was underwhelmed. Surprised they didn't include Paul Burrel. Just seemed too focused on Di and Charles. Much preferred the previous seasons. I did warm to Mohamed Al-Fayed. Thought Camilla was excellent.
I feel like actually it wasn't focused on anyone or anything. A whole season of fillers and not much happening. Very dissapointed

Reactions: 11
History nerd incoming, sorry. They tried. The smoke and dust from the shattering plaster made it impossible to see properly to aim after the initial bout of shots, and the ‘firing squad’ were also alerted of the facts that the sounds of the shooting could be heard from outside so were told to bludgeon and stab them to death instead.
Also they had jewels sewn into their under clothing which acted like a bulletproof vest

Reactions: 4
Also they had jewels sewn into their under clothing which acted like a bulletproof vest
Quite. I think only one daughter was shot at all in the initial melee. Maria I think. Bloody awful, you can’t even imagine.

I feel like actually it wasn't focused on anyone or anything. A whole season of fillers and not much happening. Very dissapointed
This is sort of how I feel about it really, I feel like time is racketing by in the background but you miss so much of what is actually happening! Also, i feel they’ve overblown the ‘poor sad queen’ angle.. it just seemed to go on and on

I was surprised at just how graphic that scene was.
I do think it was a smart choice to start exploring the historic legacy of 'The Crown' though (Russian Empire, Bahamas, Egypt etc), as previously it all seemed a bit too concerned with Charles and Diana's rows. Fantastic choice to have the 'characters' speak their own languages too, so few dramas make the effort to do this.

The Queen really should have retired in the 90's and let Charles have a decent shot at reforming the RF. This series has been a bit of good PR for him, in terms of showing a more mature, mellowed prince that has progressive interests outside of rowing with his wife and being rather spoiled! I don't think Charles will rule with such an iron fist over formalities and the relationships of his family members, the Queen was really quite a throwback there.

I truly believe The Queen should have allowed Charles to marry camilla when he wanted to back in the 70s. Diana could have gone on to marry who she loved and still been with us today. Tampon gate was just a cringy conversation between to people that should be together. The truths that have come out about the Bashir interview, someone needs to be held accountable. Plus she wasn’t as innocent as she made out. Julia Carlings life was turned upside down by Diana chasing Will Carling.
But Camilla didn't want to marry Charles in the 70s. She was in love with Andrew Parker Bowles who was notoriously unfaithful. She went out with Prince Charles to try to make him jealous. She didn't want to be Queen. She wanted a relaxed upper class country life with dogs and horses and didn't aspire to the fame and pressure of Royal life.

Reactions: 12
But Camilla didn't want to marry Charles in the 70s. She was in love with Andrew Parker Bowles who was notoriously unfaithful. She went out with Prince Charles to try to make him jealous. She didn't want to be Queen. She wanted a relaxed upper class country life with dogs and horses and didn't aspire to the fame and pressure of Royal life.
And these reasons are arguably why she has since actually fitted in very nicely into Royal life, worked hard at her engagements and just quietly and resolutely got on with it. She didn't do it for the title or fame etc. She did it for the man she loves.

Reactions: 9
so fidelity would appear to be a tad working/middle class.

I did think the actor who was Charles Spencer was very good.

Anyone else seeing threads where Americans get very vocal on Camilla/Diana etc etc. I blame my participation on this and watching a few vids of the crown.

Reactions: 2
I'm not particularly enjoying s5 but s3 and s4 were also weaker in comparison to s1 and s2 but enjoyed s5, ep 3 a lot! I've been putting off ep 6 for a week now and don't think I feel mentally strong enough to watch it esp because I've read a lot into the Romanvs family and what happened to them. I don't want to watch it play put on screen. 😒 Can I skip the ep and watch ep 7 without getting confused? I presume it's a stand alone ep like ep 3?

I'm not particularly enjoying s5 but s3 and s4 were also weaker in comparison to s1 and s2 but enjoyed s5, ep 3 a lot! I've been putting off ep 6 for a week now and don't think I feel mentally strong enough to watch it esp because I've read a lot into the Romanvs family and what happened to them. I don't want to watch it play put on screen. 😒 Can I skip the ep and watch ep 7 without getting confused? I presume it's a stand alone ep like ep 3?
It’s very very hard to watch and yes I think you could give it a miss and not end up confused. There’s references to it but if you know the story anyway, you’ll be fine

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Then you’d never even have known who she was and you’d never have had William and Harry either and on and on.

The scene with the Romanovs is right at the start, before the titles I think, so you could just skip that bit and watch the rest of the episode.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Then you’d never even have known who she was and you’d never have had William and Harry either and on and on.
Yes that is true, but maybe both of them would have been happier, and more to the point, alive. William and Harry (and Camilla's children) would have been other people. Thats the same with everyone. We are only here through a twist of fate!

Re the Diana interview episode. Did Diana and Charles Spencer not talk for 2 years before she died? I know he didn't want her at Althrop before she died, but I didn't realise she didn't speak to him before. It's a bit odd that he decided to negotiate with Martin Bashir and get in touch with Diana just to get her to do the interview. Why did she bother listening to him?

The scene with the Romanovs is right at the start, before the titles I think, so you could just skip that bit and watch the rest of the episode.
It's also flashed back to near the end of the episode.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Yes that is true, but maybe both of them would have been happier, and more to the point, alive. William and Harry (and Camilla's children) would have been other people. Thats the same with everyone. We are only here through a twist of fate!

Re the Diana interview episode. Did Diana and Charles Spencer not talk for 2 years before she died? I know he didn't want her at Althrop before she died, but I didn't realise she didn't speak to him before. It's a bit odd that he decided to negotiate with Martin Bashir and get in touch with Diana just to get her to do the interview. Why did she bother listening to him?
sometimes I have to remind myself this is mostly fiction. Who really knows how their relationship was. His own life is complicated enough so probably the two of them got caught up in their own stuff.

Reactions: 1

It's also flashed back to near the end of the episode.
Yeah it was widely reported he and Diana weren't speaking when she died. Which is also why people found it a bit rich that he slated the royal family at her funeral when he hadn't been a supportive brother to her when she needed it

She wasn't speaking to Fergie before she died either (she didn't like that in her autobiography Fergie wrote that she caught verrucas from the shoes she borrowed from Diana.) Diana also went for a period where she stopped speaking to her mother too.