The Coffee House ☕️

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I actually buy my oat milk from minor figures have had there cartons of oat milk latte before... will have a look.

Reactions: 1
I love coffee and have been drinking over 10 cups a day since I was a teenager.

For instant I like Nescafe Gold Blend. I have both a Tassimo and a Nespresso (my husband won the Nespresso at work). I use either Costa or L'or capsules for the Tassimo and just stocked up on a 3 for €10 deal in Tesco. For the Nespresso I use L'or capsules and won't make the mistake of trying any other again.

I have a frother that came with the Nespresso but rarely use it. I also have a cafetiere and was given a present of one of those Costa cups with the one use filter.

I go through phases on what I'll use most. Detest Starbucks and Bewleys (Irish) and also Kenco.

Long shot here but any Nescafe Azera drinkers here? Discovered a new flavour called "Grindsmith" which I'm think of trying.

Anyone tried it yet?

I've been using a dolce gusto to make latte for a while but recently invested in an aeropress and aergrind! Although I sometimes like the fact that it takes a little while and allows me to step away from my desk, I do miss the simplicity of just flicking two buttons for water and being able to walk away from the dolce gusto
I couldn't justify the counter space nor cost of a bean-to-cup machine though.. Maybe some day!

Plus don't forget about all the video sponsors, you can't tell me the coffee bags / grinders he gives away to justify it add up to anywhere near the amount he gets in sponsorship per video!

Although I have to say I do like his content and think it's informative and well researched a lot of the time (even if I totally agree with your points about him being a snob and the patreon being unnecessary)

Last edited:
Plus don't forget about all the video sponsors, you can't tell me the coffee bags / grinders he gives away to justify it add up to anywhere near the amount he gets in sponsorship per video!
Yep, he's really coining it in with three huge sources of revenue. It's handy to sell the patreon as how to get the stuff he tests as he's monetizing what he'd need to get rid of anyway. Making cash on getting rid of stuff is smart from a business pov.

I've been slowly making my way through every Nespresso pod and they're all pretty awful. Really don't understand how they sell so many. I'm not a snob or anything as any cheap real coffee made in french press or a bean to cup machine I usually find drinkable. But all the Nespressos have an unpleasant taste, particularly those with added flavours 🫤

So, I appropriated a 'not used in 2 years' Tassimo machine and I've been playing with that. Had a look on youtube for some pod reviews and BANG, right into the rabbit-hole of coffee youtube. Who knew coffee was on it's third wave? That coffee even had waves? There's drama about espresso machine kickstarters, incredible!

Not 100% sold on the tassimo just yet. The pods are expensive and none I've tried so far (just espresso and americano) have been good.

I'm normally a cafetiere on a morning person with some supermarket house blend, then I switch to decaff Azera after that. I'm trying some better quality beans at the mo, they do taste better, even with a blade grinder- coffee snobs would be horrified!

I've been watching a lot of James Hoffmann. I do like the guy (he has good creds and clearly knows his stuff), but the amount he's raking in from ad revenue, sponsorships plus £16k per month over on Patreon?! Who knew there was so much money in this?

Reactions: 2
the amount he's raking in from ad revenue, sponsorships plus £16k per month over on Patreon?!
It does feel pretty greedy. He's already making loads from the two revenue streams without asking for cash, but people like to give it to him and it's their choice.

He drones on about him giving away the stuff he's used to patreon as if it's a selfless thing. Seems like more advertising for the patreon that he earns a fortune for and is a great way to monetize getting rid of stuff.

I bought a Vietnamese phin filter last year, it's a great little coffee maker, sits on top of a mug nicely if you buy the biggest size.

I’d rather give money to someone making genuinely interesting, original and useful content about something I enjoy than to a ton of lazy influencers trying to profit off Substack or Patreon and then just writing a crappy newsletter full of affiliate links.

Oh yeah in the grand scheme of people asking for money on the internet there's a lot far far worse. But it's interesting that no matter how well someone is doing, there's always a desire for more money. His patreon alone is bringing in $300k a year and costing virtually nothing.

Yeah, most of his videos are incredibly high quality, especially the ones where he's essentially making a short film. He also says where he's gotten things wrong, which I appreciate. Would be interesting to see the accounts to see how many staff are on the team, how profitable is it etc.

For his youtube I think he'd just need some part time people to help with recording and editing as I think he does a fair few things and youtube is just one sideline.

His coffee supply company has an on paper net worth of 2 million, but that doesn't include all the value built up in the brand. It's pricy so I'd love to hear some unbiased reviews of the coffee, which may be difficult

I was tempted to give it a whirl, but I'm just not a light roast person...

I was tempted to give it a whirl, but I'm just not a light roast person...
Same and shipping is expensive and slow for me. I don't think the site is that well designed as you need to make several clicks to go into each variety to see information.

I know James thinks light or medium-light roast is always the best, but it's not what I'm used to and I doubt I'd like it even if it is objectively better.