The Chateau Diaries #70 Thank you for the little cockerel - it will do for now

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Selma and Tatty not there. It’s not a week end so they should be around. 🤷🏻‍♀️

She must of broken her own rule with the New Zealand couple. Romantique on youtube. They did have a lot to offer but weren’t that impressed with la la land.

Chateau vlogs have become very boring. I’ve started watching HeavyDSparks.
No Nic, Marie and Antoine had driven to chateau to do the lock down in France. SJ filmed arrival of Selmar from her window. Nic spoke with him. They had not contacted him to say don't come. Admitedly SJ was in dramatic transit from Asia in days preceeding.
It freaked many people out the idea of borders closing. He came early due to.lockdown as he had "a feeling." He drove non stop from his previous place to get to La La.

Reactions: 26
I imagine there's nothing: no application form or CVs required; no proper interviews; no references, no security checks. It's probably just Natti saying Yes to everyone. When that couple arrived and she immediately made them cook for everyone including people with different allergies, she could have had no knowledge of how skilled they were at cooking or what they knew about cooking for people with special dietary requirements. They could have killed someone but as long as none of the residents needed to cook, that would be fine. They take enormous risks with health and safety when they take on volunteers without an in-depth check.

I see the mystery person in Dan's vlog is a new female volunteer.
I do not know how volunteer organisations work in France but in the UK there are no formal interviews, background checks,or references required for voluntary work at all, unless you are going to be working with children or very vulnerable people. I have had a few voluntary posts since I retired. For my latest post as a tour guide I had health and safety training, and safeguarding after I'd been working there for a while. Most big organisations in the UK like English Heritage, the National Trust, the major Cathedrals,(the guides), WRVS (hospital tea bars),charity shops, RSPCA, most big charities rely on volunteers.
I did a similar scheme to Workaway in the UK. No interview or checks. It's not unusual.
I feel that if volunteers had to go through the same checks that paid workers did, there would not be many people volunteering and the organisations would not be able to run. Some organisations run on a shoestring budget relying on public donation. They would collapse if they had to use more paid workers. As a volunteer you have to work hard for no pay. You would have to really want to do it, have an interest in the organisation, be dedicated. People who are not suitable soon leave. This is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
@MojoDublin Thanks for the Patrons video !

1. After having watched it, I can't help thinking : what is the purpose of all these luxurious renovations in Lalande ?

I mean : expensive designers wallpapers even for the bathrooms, expensive items for bathrooms, bedrooms etc. But what for ? At the end of the day, it's only a plus-value for the chateau (hence for its owners) and the future luxurious life of the owners. Nothing to do with history or saving a historical building !
For some BB guests ? Unlikely. For themselves at the expenses of other people (Patrons) ? More likely.

I really don't understand how the superfans and her Patrons think. I really don't understand these people.

2. Marie (Nic's wife) seems to be best best friend with Steph. Even doing their nails together and seems very happy with it. The Halloween Party is already planned (and I would be surprised if Antoine will not be here as well) with the rabbit and the new dog.
Either Marie really enjoys Steph's company or she's good at being a diplomat.

PS : It was funny to see Steph stepping back far, far, far away from this tiny dog !

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
I do not know how volunteer organisations work in France but in the UK there are no formal interviews, background checks,or references required for voluntary work at all, unless you are going to be working with children or very vulnerable people. I have had a few voluntary posts since I retired. For my latest post as a tour guide I had health and safety training, and safeguarding after I'd been working there for a while. Most big organisations in the UK like English Heritage, the National Trust, the major Cathedrals,(the guides), WRVS (hospital tea bars),charity shops, RSPCA, most big charities rely on volunteers.
I did a similar scheme to Workaway in the UK. No interview or checks. It's not unusual.
I feel that if volunteers had to go through the same checks that paid workers did, there would not be many people volunteering and the organisations would not be able to run. Some organisations run on a shoestring budget relying on public donation. They would collapse if they had to use more paid workers. As a volunteer you have to work hard for no pay. You would have to really want to do it, have an interest in the organisation, be dedicated. People who are not suitable soon leave. This is just my personal opinion.
Here in Tassie it is them same. Over the years many woofers worked on the farm and at the cafe. Usually they took room and board in exchange for work at a nearby local business (we have no accom on site) that kept them busy for maybe 4 days a week and then they would look around for paid work to keep funding their travels. I had many in the cafe over weekends doing this - the background checks/references I did for perm staff - for woofers it was how it all worked out. Sometimes it did not when they were fluffing their cafe exp. Most of the time it was brilliant especially woofers from France, Canada, Israel, Japan etc. it was a lovely little international community. Now this has all but vanished, I used to have to work through so many emails from travellers..now nothing 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 19
She is so patient. My house is of a similar age and I found those sort of wallpapers all over the house under plain ones, but steamed them all off. I do admire how she has salvaged them. We stripped all the old papers off and painted the walls in heritage colours which lifted the atmosphere.
I prefer a less gloomy look myself, as our house was reputedly haunted when I moved in. . We also got a medium to "move on" the ghost. She said was the man who had the house built. Whether you believe in ghosts or not, some houses have disturbances, and after she left, the house felt so much lighter and no more nocturnal footsteps and knockings. We were able to get a good night's sleep again. I used to laugh at people who believed in ghosts, until we moved into this house.
I have kept pieces of the wallpapers as a memento.
I do admire what this woman is doing but find her house a little too Gothic.
I was told to leave mine alone by the medium a concerned neighbour called in! Still can't get visitors to stay in the living room they whip straight past me into the kitchen and can't be budged when they come into my house. 😆👻

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Anyone able to identify which financial institution this statement is from. Is this a French Bank? Mojo is that Ireland on one line.....
Google Ireland will be the YouTube income. Most tech companies funnel transactions through Ireland because of the low corporate tax rates.

I think that’s a UK bank account. The columns are labelled in English and there’s a reference to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) at the bottom. She also has a Sky Digital (satellite TV) subscription despite them not operating in France.

I find it quite odd that someone living in France for 16+ years and operating a business there would still be putting everything through a UK account.

Perhaps this falls in with her passport/Carte de Sejour situation. She simply never sorted them out.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
🎯🎯🎯 patron 🎯🎯🎯

accountant is coming - and then coming back with 2 more - as it’s very confusing doing accounts ….

not using her study 📖… snorts might be nosey

off she popped to Brussels

doing new bathrooms 🚽
Pink tyles - grey floor
Ohhh ff sake another 20 grand bathroom 🚽
Wallpaper 🤔 Cole n son

only so much shite I can swallow
Someone else take over review

😈😈
Thanks Mojo again for allowing us to see the mess that is Lalaland. Who knew you needed receipts for the accountant, bloody hell what a plouc. Another bathroom that will be a nightmare to the senses, but I am saddened she hasn't chosen the Lacwarrrr. 💄🐖

• Heart
  • Haha
Marie (Nic's wife) seems to be best best friend with Steph. Even doing their nails together and seems very happy with it. The Halloween Party is already planned (and I would be surprised if Antoine will not be here as well) with the rabbit and the new dog.
Either Marie really enjoys Steph's company or she's good at being a diplomat.
Knowing they can't stand each other. Yikes. It is more fake than Rien's market purchases!
I wouldn't blame Marie to say yes to SJ to her face, because of SJ's usual behaviour, who knows what she'd do if Marie said NO to her, and then around Halloween I would excuse myself and the family, that something came up and we can not come. If the elusive one wants to go, he can go alone.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Apologies, was on my laptop instead of phone and never remember how to screenshot on there. By the time I got to my phone it had gone. Basically people complaining that the new series wasn’t the same without dick and angel. Ma Trotter then waded in with nasty comments about them.
The series isnt the same. The new presenter has a boring voice and is never seen in person. Dick used to go in person to the chateaus to suggest ways of doing the DIY sometimes, and Angel would advise on decoration, craft elements, which made it a lot more interesting. The present programme is rather dull. I like the chateau owners they are featuring as they are doing the work themselves and don't seem to be part of the vlog /Patreon scene (yet),except for Edd and Anna. Interestingly Edd and Anna come across as rather different to the way they appear in Stephanies vlogs. Anna seems to be more in charge, with the final say on projects. Edd isnt as obnoxious as he seems in the CD vlogs. Is this a false front just for TV? Does SJ wind Edd up so much that he's deliberately horrible in the vlogs?

No Nic, Marie and Antoine had driven to chateau to do the lock down in France. SJ filmed arrival of Selmar from her window. Nic spoke with him. They had not contacted him to say don't come. Admitedly SJ was in dramatic transit from Asia in days preceeding.
It freaked many people out the idea of borders closing. He came early due to.lockdown as he had "a feeling." He drove non stop from his previous place to get to La La.
Oh that's right. Nic was there wasn't he! I forgot about that. I still don't blame SJ and IJ for being wary especially as Selmar looked a bit rough and there was a pandemic on.

She is an absolute artist! She is weird and somewhat spooky 🎃 but amazing in what she does.

Also, it costs like $40 a month to get an accounting/bookkeeping software, that connects to your bank account and literally sorts everything for you! How can someone run a business like this? I'm gonna burst a vein I'm so mad!
(y)This.... me too

Reactions: 9
🎯🎯🎯 patron 🎯🎯🎯

accountant is coming - and then coming back with 2 more - as it’s very confusing doing accounts ….

not using her study 📖… snorts might be nosey

off she popped to Brussels

doing new bathrooms 🚽
Pink tyles - grey floor
Ohhh ff sake another 20 grand bathroom 🚽
Wallpaper 🤔 Cole n son

only so much shite I can swallow
Someone else take over review

😈😈
Thanks for sharing again! I now totally understand why people are paying her! What an honor to get to see what's on her plate in that fancy restaurant...

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I take your point.
I was over 50, and tougher, and smarter, than an old boot, with 47 lives behind me and real experience of high and low places and people in the world, when I walked into the buzz saw that was the narc partner of my relative. It ended when I stopped seeing them both, completely. She died soon after, as everyone noted, probably because she could find no other way out.
May I say, very, very gently, that if SJ is in fact a narcissist, no power on earth will protect PJ from being chewed up and spit out. It's bigger than me, and if I may say so, I suspect it is bigger than you too. I commend you on your good fortune in never having had to deal with this.
Here's an FB page devoted to people trying to extricate themselves. PJ, this link is for you.
Thanks for the link. I will read up. I had a sociopathec partner who negatively impacted my life for many years. In therapy I identified faults in my development as an adult which would have assisted me in identifying warning signs earlier. . Parenting is not a passive exercise, it is an active process in developing a well rounded adult. Phillip was actively sent to La La by his mother. They must be close enough to discuss the developments in his role there and with the chateleine.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
She is so patient. My house is of a similar age and I found those sort of wallpapers all over the house under plain ones, but steamed them all off. I do admire how she has salvaged them. We stripped all the old papers off and painted the walls in heritage colours which lifted the atmosphere.
I prefer a less gloomy look myself, as our house was reputedly haunted when I moved in. . We also got a medium to "move on" the ghost. She said was the man who had the house built. Whether you believe in ghosts or not, some houses have disturbances, and after she left, the house felt so much lighter and no more nocturnal footsteps and knockings. We were able to get a good night's sleep again. I used to laugh at people who believed in ghosts, until we moved into this house.
I have kept pieces of the wallpapers as a memento.
I do admire what this woman is doing but find her house a little too Gothic.
I do believe in ghosts because I lived in a haunted house that was inhabited by at least 3 and possibly 4 ghosts. We never had them removed because we weren’t scared of them after the first week or so. One was just a snorer in an unoccupied bedroom. One broke my heart because it was a baby crying in a little unoccupied room. The one that unsettled us a little bit was an ethereal older man who floated down the hallway and disappeared into closet. My ex, who was absolutely not afraid of anything, followed him one night and then told me it was harmless so I was alright with them all. It didn’t stop me from being leery of being alone in the house at night, though.

As for how I like my house to be decorated, I’m not into lots of patterns so I’m not into wallpaper. My biggest nightmare would be a mixture of patterns and colors that clashed…like some of the rooms at Lalande….

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
This woman is amazing...Her finished restoration is stunning. I've been subscribed to her for years and loved everything she's posted. I want to BE her when I grow up...or maybe in my next life....

This woman has made vlogging an art form. She is rich indeed with one of the most successful patreon accounts ever. When she relocated to NY she was able to keep her own, fabulous beyond words house and by the one in NY. A real example of what SJ hopes for, I am sure.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
I am always astounded at how much 'charity' and 'volunteering' goes on in England. Most of these charities pay large salaries to their top tier staff. Is it an acceptable way of grifting? Getting people volunteering under the auspice of charity. I just don't get the concept of all these charities in such a 'first world/rich' country.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.