The Chateau Diaries #55 How to turn a chateau into a dump in 3 easy steps

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Probably something embarrassing,she needs time to think of something.stds?😂
She has had loads of time to come up with a fitting, believable explanation. Also for her relationship with BJJ. By now, it's pretty clear she is only transparent when it suits her, which it is not very often. She has completely lost control over her own narrative, that's what is driving her to smoke and mirrors and lies and deceit. Her best asset has always been the HMN and what goes on there, but now she has prerecorded episodes and everybody knows it's prerecorded, so not very actual. This is not going to help her get her tit together.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Anyone read Don’t Tell Alfred by N Mitford?
Ive just begun it and can’t help being struck by the similarities to the characters of Lalande…
Middle aged heroine called Fanny whose life changes overnight, giving her more social status and money
Her aide, a younger man called Philip who has a finger in every pie and helps Fanny at every turn with her household decisions
A bearded David makes an appearance
Fanny calls on Davy to come help her with a problem in her house…

I’m only on chapter 3, but isn’t it uncanny?

I dont do morning also, and in Dont tell Alfred, Fanny is told to take mornings at her ease as running a large household is a busy and stressful life. Another similarity

i have a busy household myself and am a night owl, so I prefer mornings to be my resting time
Havent read it but the Mitfords would match well at lalalande...80 years ago..i sometimes get the feeling there was an old arisitcratic lady in that grannyfarm..who put all kind of stories and ideas in Fanny her mind.. when she was little...some things are to obvious..

It would be lumped with the Playmobil, I'm sure. and stuffed creatures, all of them.

This daddy theme is recurring throughout. No matter what where when how why who it permeates her life. Even down to keeping the automobile wreck, which by the way lost value with the clean up; better to have sold it with the droppings on it as "Crapped on at Lalaland" - provenance swept away.
dont give her ideas..she is at Christies...it reminds me of the sale our Dutch royal family did...after the passing of Queen Juliana and her nasty husband...all the things the family or museums didnt want ended up for sale at Sothebys...the crap they sold was enormous..a lot of bric a brac..some things even broken or in a very bad state....and the money it made for charity.... even more..

It would be lumped with the Playmobil, I'm sure. and stuffed creatures, all of them.

This daddy theme is recurring throughout. No matter what where when how why who it permeates her life. Even down to keeping the automobile wreck, which by the way lost value with the clean up; better to have sold it with the droppings on it as "Crapped on at Lalaland" - provenance swept away.
dont give her ideas..she is at Christies...it reminds me of the sale our Dutch royal family did...after the passing of Queen Juliana and her nasty husband...all the things the family or museums didnt want ended up for sale at Sothebys...the crap they sold was enormous..a lot of bric a brac..some things even broken or in a very bad state....and the money it made for charity.... even more..
I am looking forward to the fallout from today's flog.

CHATEAU DE LA LANDE
A PERFECT ITALIAN HOLIDAY

Garrett Robinson opened a can of worms and now is the top comment with 22 replies. 🤪
"Opinions are not insults like your response." Teri Martin for the win.

Garrett Robinson
1 day ago (edited)
This is maybe kind of a weird compliment, but Stephanie's openness about buying things on sale and at a discount is so refreshing! It makes me feel safe, knowing that even living in a literal castle surrounded by artists and musicians and the social circles that she moves in, she isn't pressured to spend more than she needs to on lifestyle items. It helps me feel good about being thrifty myself. In the US, sometimes people will try to make you feel ashamed for saving money, as though it's a virtue to spend full price on something that's being offered for less, and I just don't get it.

Rob Westley
1 day ago
Sandra Westley from the UK I think those sort of people are the Emperor’s clothes, everyone admired them but truthfully he had nothing on, so total false

Tina Clarke
1 day ago
They aren't living life like no one else so they can live life like no one else. Just give them a pitying look and do you.

Lynn Kornegay
1 day ago
Stephanie always looks gorgeous. I love how genuine she is and admire her skill with making people feel so comfortable. She’s a sparkling gem

Tina Magnuson
1 day ago
And yet her Streamline designer luggage is $650!! She is obviously loaded based upon her shoes, clothes and champagne tastes and states she is too busy traveling to own a dog despite staff at her chateau. I don't begrudge her having money, but I do think it's a bit disingenuous to moan about not having money to restore the chateau while she accepts gifts every week (not taxed I assume) free help (is that even legal) and travels the world. Meanwhile I'm sure most of her audience are not so well off and just living a life far better than they could ever hope for vicariously through her. Kind of sad actually. All that said, she has to constantly put out content and be "on" and that has to be exhausting. I'd hate to feel like I couldn't enjoy a moment without either a camera stuck in my face or someone elses. Once this pandemic is over I'm sure her audience will diminish. I have an intetest in restoration, so I was attracted to the vlog for that reason only.

Urban Green Fairy Queen
1 day ago
@Tina Magnuson Indeed and she's basically public property now, but it's us who watch and us who pay for the upkeep of her lifestyle, patrons, and sending gifts I'm sure half the time it's fake smiling as probably half get send straight to the thrift store and all the worries are less with glasses of champagne. But we all have a choice we can switch it off.

Julia McGrath
1 day ago
Only the pretentious don’t appreciate the value of each dollar it is just reasonable and sensible to be a bit thrifty.

minas tirith
1 day ago
@Tina Magnuson free gifts are gifts. patreon money is going straight to chateau restoration it is set up as a fund and is not taxed but can’t be spent on anything but the chateau building and surrounding structures. money she spends is coming from bed and breakfast which she obviously was doing before her vlogs and from channel ad revenue. gift channels revenue goes to charities ever time the payment is received from google adsence. plus she owns a flat in london and rents it out so yeah. she spends what she earns and good for her.

Tracy Reed
23 hours ago
@Tina Magnuson @Tina Magnuson I'm not certain but the chateau may be bringing in over 250k+ but that is just a guess from what she says, yet I have no clue?. Yes, we watch, yes we enjoy the adventure & some just enjoy giving & need a place to "give." Its difficult sometimes when I'm living on $100 a month but never begrudge her. She works extremely hard. She is very thrifty & doesn't appear to take anything for granted. She shares with charity's. I bless her for being so smart, I believe a Yale graduate, for creating a business model that one could strive to create on one's own. I do admire her work ethics. Yes, there are work away models where one can work to stay, yes, it's legal. Smiles. I will continue to watch for my small escape a few times a week. Its enjoyable.

Tina Magnuson
23 hours ago
@Urban Green Fairy Queen And the fact that she owns a London flat! The rent from that alone will never fund a chateau unless it's a massive one or an expensive town home. There is an expat American Paris realtor who was is interviewed about the reality of owning a chateau. Even the wealthy can be bankrupted by it unless your a uber wealthy top tier of the 1 percent.

Tracy Reed
23 hours ago
@minas tirith I made a suggestion for STEPHANIE to have a "quarterly give away" to one of her subscribers, but was jumped on by a subscriber which stated that Stephanie didn't have money for the postage. Somehow that bothered me. Why wouldn't she want to have a give away? Maybe something small, preferably purchased at the brocante to show her appreciation??? Somehow I was made to feel guilty for the suggestion. Lol? Was I wrong to suggest a give to one of her subscribers?? Am I wrong to believe that maybe she could afford the postage? I thought it was just an idea, never would I think I would get fussed at for Steph not having postage money?? Lol oh well thanks for listening, I guess I needed to get that off my chest. I know they meant no harm. Smiles & hugs

Sonia Hamilton
22 hours ago
I agree, I have seen Stephanie buy shoes and purses and all sorts in the second hand shops, it is great!

minas tirith
20 hours ago (edited)
she has two co owners at the chateau . she doesn’t own it solely on her own. the chateau has workshops and b and b. she clearly has some inheritance, her parents worked really hard and as far as I know she is the only child to inherit whatever they leave her. why does it bother people that she buys expensive shoes? she can’t spend patreon money on shoes. so relax. she’s spending whatever she earned. she actually doesn’t spend it left or right. I like her dress. Her shoes not my style but it looks good on her. I salute her work ethic and cheerful energy.

minas tirith
20 hours ago
@Tina Magnuson the flat is not hers alone. she co owns it with the other co owner of the chateau

richard cully
19 hours ago
@Tina Magnuson Dear Tina, If you have to look up the price of luggage to prove a point then you are simply being unkind. Stephanie has always been absolutely clear and open about income and what it is used for, depending on the source and that prior to success with You Tube and Patreon she was struggling with no income from B&B at Lalande or rental from her London Flat due to covid. The other point I might make is that gifts are just that, they are not requested from viewers but received with kindness and appreciation and their opening kept on a separate channel for those who dislike 'unboxing' videos to easily avoid. It is also a little insulting to say that people are sad for enjoying the success and happy lives of others, no, most people see that the world created at Lalande is a special one and entirely depends on the atmosphere of joy created by Stephanie Jarvis.

Cynthia Mallinak
19 hours ago
Agree

Garrett Robinson
19 hours ago
@Tina Magnuson Okay, so a few things are wrong with this reply. "She's obviously loaded" the comment I made was literally about how she saves money by buying things at a discount, so I don't know why you led with this. $650 is not a lot to spend on a thing you're going to use twice a month for years, especially if you're trusting it not only to help you make an impression, but also to protect other things that are valuable. "disingenuous to moan about not having money...and travels the world" is very similar to the "oh, millennials should just not spend so much on coffee and they'd be able to afford houses" argument that we have in the states every week. It's not true, it doesn't help anyone to pretend it is, and it takes pressure off of the real problems we could be solving. The majority of her travel is in Europe, where the actual movement from place to place is very cheap, and even accommodations are much higher quality for the price than they are in the US. The majority of the Patreon income is from people who live in places like Martha's Vineyard, which is famously a home of the 1% in the US, or people who have old money in London or Amsterdam or Johannesburg. And that money doesn't go to Stephanie. It goes to the restoration of the house and grounds. Yes, that means the house and grounds are worth more, and Stephanie and her co-owners are enriched by that, but there's also the nonprofit. And she intends to live in that house until she dies, so I don't see a world in which she becomes wealthy by selling off something she fixed up on someone else's dime. I agree that there is a degree of privilege inherent in The Chateau Diaries. There's the privilege of growing up with parents who were able to work hard and become financially comfortable (beginning their marriage as members of the working class, mind you). There's the privilege of being born into a system that was built to serve its people instead of to extract resources from them. There's the privilege of being European in a world that still filters all its money into the northwestern world at the expense of the global south. But those legitimate criticisms of the channel and its contents are issues that you didn't even bring up, and the ones you did bring up are fairly clearly addressed in past vlogs. Stephanie is essentially an entire production team. She and Philip, and very occasionally others, produce roughly 3 hours of television a week. That's a lot of work. Yes, the fact that she's able, even with the amount of content that she makes, to support herself and others is a product of having pre-existing resources, many of them public but accessible only to people who live near them. "I'm so lucky to live in France" is a common refrain for a reason--the content she produces relies on the inherent privilege of living in a place with a ton of history when there are a lot of people who can't afford to go there themselves. But overall I think the channel is harmlessly enjoyable, and it brings comfort to a lot of people who need it, myself included.

A S
16 hours ago
@Tina Magnuson Perhaps she purchased the luggage gently used, at a much lesser price. Stephanie seems very balanced in her spending. Once in awhile it's nice to purchase something new.

Teri Martin
13 hours ago
@Tina Magnuson I totally agree. The amount of money she spends is crazy. I had to stop watching the opening of gifts. People she needs NOTHING! The conspicuous consumption is too much.

Nighat khan
12 hours ago
@Tina Magnuson you dont have to watch stop your negative comments we enjoy her videos you obviously do begrudge her having money

Johnny Turnpike
10 hours ago
The petty jealousy in here is pathetic. Holy tit. Some of you should read your negative comments back to yourselves, so that you can truly understand what giant, whiney douchebags you are. Haters gonna hate.

Minnow x
10 hours ago
@Tina Magnuson Stephanie has been transparent in older Vlogs about the source of her income and the fact she started the YouTube channel initially as a hobby and it took off during the early days of COVID. She had not done any major renovations on the chateau for 10 years until she was able to start again due to the patreon money which is set up as a non profit. She made money before her YouTube channel by the b&b, workshops, renting her flat on Airbnb. She said last year in a vlog that she made about 3000E a month on average from all that - and that was just enough to pay for monthly expenses for the chateau - there is also some contribution from Michael Potts and Nic. Now she also has the income from the YouTube channel. I am really not sure why you think she has a secret source of income or really what you are implying. She works hard, makes money and spends some on what she wants - good on her! On the subject of the giveaway - why should she? I really don’t understand why you feel she needs to do that. Some you tubers do giveaways either because they are sponsored or they think it will increase their views - she has decided not to use that business tool …. If she did you would probably say it was rigged if you didn’t win.

Teri Martin
10 hours ago
@Johnny Turnpike That's nice, we will take your example. Opinions are not insults like your response.. This is what YouTube is all about opening up your life and getting a response.
Well some people go off to Disneyland to escape reality...some watch Chateaudiaries...a lott of distressed, or should i say mad.. people in the world these days...giving money to a mad woman who has already enough..but still wants more...and will never heve enough..of anything..

Exactly! Where is Michael Morrison with his private plane when he is needed? and what about his multiple residencies? :unsure:
i guess living in his mothers cellar...like he responded on my remarks in the vlog....but i am not living in my mothers cellar... :p very far from it..

Exactly! Where is Michael Morrison with his private plane when he is needed? and what about his multiple residencies? :unsure:
i guess living in his mothers cellar...like he responded on my remarks in the vlog....but i am not living in my mothers cellar... :p very far from it..

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Dear Wendy,
Cara is trying to give you a heads-up. As for BJJ, if he is there he will be isolating in SJ's bedroom. His fragile hands can not felt due to sharp needles and lack of coordination. Please do not put too much stock into your Lalande workshop idea. Maybe you could reach out to Brenda Gibbons or contact Manor and Maker. Good luck, I look forward to your Lalande visit.

View attachment 719965
wendyhouse50

This little Lady has found her way to France and is now living in a real Castle - Happy Birthday @stephanieejarvis . #needlefeltingmouse #chateauliving #chateaudelalande #pocketmouse #miniturehouse #princess
16h
fat_girl_on_a_bike

this is perfection.
13hReply

View replies (2)

wendyhouse50
@fat_girl_on_a_bike thank you - I hope Stephanie and Phillip are back by the time I go on 15th September .
2h1 likeReply

fat_girl_on_a_bike
@wendyhouse50 you are going to love it! there is wool in the attic that has had a single wash. some carded, some spun, definitely enough to do some felting. some of it smells sheepy though, and could use a scour once spun or felted. the paper bag holds the cleanest.
2hReply

wendyhouse50
@fat_girl_on_a_bike have promised to teach Phillip - would like to do a needle felting work shop maybe next year
1hReply
Philip's idea of a needle felting workshop is as bad -- and I mean :poop: for brains bad -- as his Nicholas Fairford knockoff idea for a how to set the table YT channel.
There are no less than 40 million YT videos on needlefelting -- indeed needlefelting and a million other arts and crafts including
-- why NOT to soak Victorian encaustic tiles
-- how to connect your mickey fickey radiators to the boiler
-- how to catch a chicken
-- how to pot plants in cache pots
which are the perfect content FOR VIDEO. And already totally covered.
I will not be travelling to deepest France to needle felt hedgehogs. Unless the teacher is an Elin Thomas caliber artist and she'd be teaching me how to do her petri dish mold sculptures. And why would I go to central France for that?
Woolen yarn used to be the main manufactured product of the Indre region, surely there are dynamite artisanal French things to be done with it.
I think Cara's idea of dyeing it with traditional local plants and then whipping it up into something designed especially for the chateau by somebody like Aurelie Mathigot or another French fiber artist (just emerging now as fiber arts were looked down upon in France). Felted head jewelry taught by the Bourges milliner Evelyne? Based on a Duc de Berry Tres Riche Heures theme? A charantaise, Berry slipper?
The absolute feckless ignorance of these two is a serious shame, given what they could do for the local economy and arts.

Last edited:
  • Heart
BJJ could make a science channel... about how fast French dogs can run... :sneaky:
And not to forget the footage of The Animals of La Lande wood... 🦊🦝🐗🐿🦔
Now imagine him getting a My First Chemistry Set on GAG, he could use it for all his silver (Ag). :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Everyone I know from her crowd, some of them have been there lately or talked to her, they all say SJ and BJJ are a couple. But you don't have to take my word for it or my hunches. it's just that I feel it's odd she keeps things that are about life laugh and laughter a secret. Like also the hospital episode. Why is it so important it is not revealed?
I still find it very strange why she put out that hospitalvideo...and doesnt give an explanation about it...well all her paying grannies for sure are of short memory...she mentions a lott of things and it never happens...when she isnt getting a response why it isnt done ..she keeps up stirring even more smoke and more dodgy mirrors..nobody is asking questions...and when they do... they make sure they get deleted...

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 23
I just watched Sadies vlog...now we know where that hoarding is coming from..its in the genes...Mick likes to do it...I must say.... that little Ernest is a worker..you can see it from early age....it must be fun for him to grow up there..i know it is...just the joy and not the burden to keep it all together...its nice to be young ...the responsibility comes later...i still enjoy our estates but sometimes it gives me a huge headache..the work never stops..

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
Everyone I know from her crowd, some of them have been there lately or talked to her, they all say SJ and BJJ are a couple. But you don't have to take my word for it or my hunches. it's just that I feel it's odd she keeps things that are about life laugh and laughter a secret. Like also the hospital episode. Why is it so important it is not revealed?
The picture she showed from Italy sealed it for me. She had her hand on his thigh like any couple does. They are a couple

Reactions: 16
omg imagine you have that man as a priest in your church...bringing a see through shirt for snort...I know catholic priests can be weird..to put it mildly.......but this one is ...dont know how to put it...its like an invitation to put that shirt on...i guess the man can have a better time at pornhub...

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Nutties apartment...this is going to be a hell of a wierd space...2 different floorlevels..in that small space...not gonna work..to put a kitchen in..a sittingroom, bathroom and bedroom...and also a huge door that leads to the outside..and two doors leading to the chapel...i can see why Nuttty has reservations..imagine the manager living in the old storageroom...i would nicely decline..

• Haha
Nutties apartment...this is going to be a hell of a wierd space...2 different floorlevels..in that small space...not gonna work..to put a kitchen in..a sittingroom, bathroom and bedroom...and also a huge door that leads to the outside..and two doors leading to the chapel...i can see why Nuttty has reservations..imagine the manager living in the old storageroom...i would nicely decline..
Would have been a better idea to rehab the old valets rooms. Plenty of room for a bathroom, kitchenette and sitting/bedroom but noooo 🙄 Wouldn't need planning permission for messing about with windows etc. either.
Fanny probably will turn those into a self contained gite but that's years down the road.

Reactions: 13
I have a lott of butterflytree in the grounds..you have to sew them back every year because they grow so fast....it amazes me she only gets this size in 16 years...and the thought of it..me sitting under them with a peace of cheese served on marie antoinettes plates...makes me sick..that woman is seriously ill...

• Haha
Reactions: 13
That very strange clergyman gives me the creeps! Filly seemed to be rather uncomfortable around him too. After such a long drive the day before, why hasn't he changed his clothes? He's still wearing his pyjama trousers from the day before.
Gerry's come to "do the cleaning" and to check on the cat - for IJ? 😅 Hmmmm! Been reading here much, Gerry?
Hanni confirms that she has been in the US - and they all admire her tan and the hairdo! Do yourself a favour Hanni and let Annalise try and sort that out for you before you leave. I guess you may have said something to offend the original barber. (Stylist seems to be too kind a description.)
Back to muting when Gerry appears on screen.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
omg imagine you have that man as a priest in your church...bringing a see through shirt for snort...I know catholic priests can be weird..to put it mildly.......but this one is ...dont know how to put it...its like an invitation to put that shirt on...i guess the man can have a better time at pornhub...
I believe he is an Anglican/Episcopalian priest/minister. I thought it was an odd gift and then he said looking towards BJJ……I like pretty things.😉

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
well my dear..... sitting under your butterflytrees... eating goatcheese...quoting an Italian....you for sure need a good salami... :rolleyes: not only in your punami...but also in the face...

i just noticed..Gerry and Sadie must have the same dentist....

• Haha
  • Heart
Why is Hanne so fidgety ?
Someone pointed out that in that cadeaux at the chateau vlog , just after she lent back laughing, it looked like Phillip warned her from behind the camera that she needed to be careful she was showing too much, she shot a look at him in horror, grabbed at her clothes (seemingly not quite sure what bit) and then spent the rest of the time fiddling and clutching at her short skirt until one of the gifts was a blanket, which she looked grateful to have over her legs!
Hanni1.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.