The Chateau Diaries #4 Jarvis in Jeopardy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really can't stand PP as part of the vlog production. I can't believe I care so much.
During the "Autumnal walk" they mentioned plans for next summer and he was quick to chime in. I think he thinks he will be there for months to come. Could be awkward for Steph once lockdown is over.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I know, once lock down is over she will be out of there for a break (I'm not judging that). And then all the patrons will descend and Scotman and Brenda and MP and Nick and MP2. Can you imagine. Now SJ and PP are doing advent series together. It's ridiculous how much this annoys me.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Not as much as it annoys Ian being filmed by him while being asked stupid questions🤣🤣🤣
Imagine that going on for months!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I don’t mind Stephanie‘s laying in and working in bed at all. Does it look spoiled? Sure, but that is exactly the character she shows us. The reasonable rich, Chateau owning, only having a business to not go completely broke but making sure her private money covers her lifestyle first, fun, very into culture and arts bon vivant. I would say she tries to emulate the life of the poor gentry gentleman. Having an estate, still keeping up the lifestyle in parts, but struggling to keeping the estate afloat, no official employment (a gentleman doesn’t work) but savvy enough to create schemes that bring in money. The B&B to pay for the Chateau (not herself) run more as private fun than real hard commitment (too many holidays for her to be there all the time), work aways and volunteers because she feels lonely instead of making the B&B running and renovations the important part. Her having a lie in every morning, while staying up very late fits this pattern. It’s a mix between lady of the house and socialite with long entertaining evenings. Parading around in expensive beautiful morning gowns just showcase this more. It’s the perfect modern translation of the Downtown Abbey vibe.
Apart from that- answering mails and editing can be perfectly done in bed, on a sofa, in the car, on a desk. I don’t think she is a person that lacks the energy or the work motivation when not getting dressed in the morning or leaving her bedroom. Not everyone needs that. She produces a ton of footage and has only increased her output. Staying on top of the mails was never her strongest suit, she admitted as much, but she does ok and she employs Natti. I doubt she would describe herself as a self employed Youtuber. I don’t even think she would describe her B&B venture as her job in that sense. It doesn’t fit the narrative for her to hold down a serious job. It more fun than anything else. The B&B was only there to help the Chateau. Never to fund her own life- so basically she doesn’t work to earn her living.
I will say, I love that narrative. It really emulates modern British gentry and their quirks. She ticks many boxes but little things give it away. For example PRO: she is not vain (at least on the surface), educated, interested, not picky in regards to food ingredients but quality, travel, international group of friends, doesn’t NEED to work, no problem in getting her finger dirty, values family heirlooms and things with a history, good at entertaining and I imagine very easy to talk to- but being a true confidant you are not CONTRA she doesn’t put as much importance on quality (especially in terms of interior) anymore, showing off those gift excesses, but most importantly she doesn’t care for the Chateau itself and the land enough. Bad renovations, not tackling important (but not glamorous) structural renovations, not enough interest in the outdoor areas. With her fan base she could market the Chateau highly successfully. Produce from the garden (cider, chutney, jam), cookbook, postcards, prints from old drawings or old maps/structural maps, after COVID- organising exhibitions, those country fairs...
It’s a very charming existence.

Only problem- No idea how much of that is real for her whole life or if we actually only see a small snippet of her reality.
Such a good summation. Look at what Dick and Angel have done with their profile -they were both self made people. She did say in one vlog the chateau is a family home first, not a B&B first. I'm going to predict the Chateau will be sold within 18 months.

Reactions: 9
I know, once lock down is over she will be out of there for a break (I'm not judging that). And then all the patrons will descend and Scotman and Brenda and MP and Nick and MP2. Can you imagine. Now SJ and PP are doing advent series together. It's ridiculous how much this annoys me.
I noticed that all the letters now with the Giftgrabs say how much they are looking forward to visiting Lalalande next year. I’d be very worried that all these new ‘friends’ are going to be popping in as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.

When the world knows where you live you need some boundaries

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I hope they film it! Seriously though, and I am sincere on this, I am a bit concerned re stalkers or misunderstood nice generalisms SJ says like "looking forward to seeing you here". Yesterday in Melbourne Australia a girl was killed by her stalker. What triggered his obsession with her was her kindness to him one time, just once. Sorry to be morose it really worries me. PP is not going to be any help.

Feel free to voice too
Ok. I enjoy the vlogs (secretly dreamed of moving to France one day but probably won’t). I think that SJ has charm and ability but likely hasn’t done a proper days work in her life and lives in cloud cuckoo land. It’s not for me - a realist - but good luck to her. Some of her volunteers are lovely - I like Kat - others seem to be visiting as a stepping stone to fame and fortune (in their dreams). In this world where social media is becoming king one has to take it all with a huge pinch of sel de Guerande!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
But considering she did everything in bed she is rather successful. I guess this comes with the drama of being a châtelaine and opera star.
Successful at what exactly. If she was that successful she wouldn't need strangers to fund the Chateau. Drama is as drama does and she isn't an opera star

I'm going to predict the Chateau will be sold within 18 months.
Yep, with you on that one

BTW folks, going on about Phillips nostrils is just mean. None of us have any choice about the body we are born into.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
Successful at what exactly. If she was that successful she wouldn't need strangers to fund the Chateau. Drama is as drama does and she isn't an opera star

Yep, with you on that one

BTW folks, going on about Phillips nostrils is just mean. None of us have any choice about the body we are born into.
The agents will have to point out in the prospectus to the Brendas SJ is not an included fixture, nor all the other players.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I think that SJ has charm and ability but likely hasn’t done a proper days work in her life
That's ridiculous! She has a nice life and regular holidays, but I don't see her as a lazy person at all. It's a lot of work to produce five videos a week, plus all the stuff behind the scenes. Running a B and B and hosting workshops is also work, as is dealing with an ever changing bunch of volunteers in recent years. Don't denigrate the admin work she did for her family business either. Millions of people wouldn't be deemed to do a 'proper days work' by your definition, but they keep the economy and society going in the roles they do perform.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
That's ridiculous! She has a nice life and regular holidays, but I don't see her as a lazy person at all. It's a lot of work to produce five videos a week, plus all the stuff behind the scenes. Running a B and B and hosting workshops is also work, as is dealing with an ever changing bunch of volunteers in recent years. Don't denigrate the admin work she did for her family business either. Millions of people wouldn't be deemed to do a 'proper days work' by your definition, but they keep the economy and society going in the roles they do perform.
I think the point being made here is that Stephanie has never known what is a hierarchy (and I'm not speaking of Mummy and Daddy), colleagues (and not a Gerry or a bunch of often very young volunteers), strict working hours (not speaking of lying in bed until noon for your work either) and real goals (not making money to restore your dream rural chateau).
Nobody said that Stephanie was lazy. Just living in... La La Land and thinking that life can be hard (for the others).
We like Chateau Diaries videos. But we have to be lucid too 😉

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The jury is out on this one. Since the start of her vlogs she has put across the lady of the manor persona and we have clearly seen her many times being asked by her mother to get up and get moving

• Heart
  • Haha
I found it rather strange for her to say it was rather wingy getting up and working at a desk? Serioulsy? I don't think it was an intervention I think people were getting annoyed by it. As for Marie ohhhhing and awwwing over flowers that was a bit much last night. Cat is a gem, she's trying to get everything organized which should have been done years ago. It looks like the anitques road show threw up in there.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
So true. Anyway what is considered work? If you leave home for it, if you have a boss, if you don't like it doing, if you receive a salary for it? I know alot of people who have this but are not really efficient or productive.

The jury is out on this one. Since the start of her vlogs she has put across the lady of the manor persona and we have clearly seen her many times being asked by her mother to get up and get moving
Anyway who would like to watch her doing the ordinary jobs? There are plenty of wifes out there doing cleaning videos. That's not what we came for.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.