The Chateau Diaries #3 Escape to La La Land

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Hihellohowru31 She said recently they are in touch but he is no longer a close friend, and that they stayed married for about ten years before getting round to a divorce.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Does any one know anything of Stephanie 's ex husband? She has kept in touch with so many of her exes... But not her husband. Open wound still after 20 yrs?
It was amicable and they still keep in touch but very sporadically, sort of Christmas card level. Reason for divorce was that they wanted different lifestyles, she said she enjoyed spending lots of time with friends and groups, whereas he wanted the two of them to have more time to themselves and do everything together. It does not seem like a wound, just an experience in the past. She is more suited to a more sociable lifestyle, I would imagine that worked very well with Mr. Kettle in the 12 years they were together as a couple, and they still enjoy time together...I bet he wouldn't mind having some benefits...and I don't think Ruth is forever.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
In one of his videos ryan says that his parents live in france too but they have their own house not uncle lee manor. I am presuming that the house is a humble abode unlike the châteaux and manors that audience is used to seeing. Hence he hasnt shown his house.

Although ryans videos are boring without much content. Atleast he seems like a man with integrity. He has outright said that he wont be having a patreon or gofundme acccount. He will work on his craft of video making. Not ask for money.
Almost. I’ve noticed that his viewers can “buy him a coffee” and he’s plugged this in videos. buymeacoffee.com Essentially Patreon / gofundme but not necessarily monthly contributions.

I’ve decided to start my own fundraising begging-bowl buymeachateau.com

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Disclaimer I know this is a gossip site. It is mean-spirited to use physical characteristics, education level and ethnicity as an insult. I think MP's actions can be seen as begging independently, but that's just me. 🤷‍♀️

Anyway Selmar's video quality is quite rubbish so I couldn't get through the one of Halloween. But I wonder if his other videos of the other carpentry/misc jobs he did prior to Lalande are to build up his portfolio as a self-employed person?

I wonder how this round of lockdown is going to affect SJ's videos. Saw that her Patreon is still consistently above $21k in the new month, so I guess that's good. At least we know the money is not going towards LV luggage and CK caps.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
And he would be in budget! Begging bowl has appeared again on GoFundMe.
Though I must say with 20000 euros he can't come far. I am not surprised he needs more. Even if the mayor work is done by themselves. Anyway every youtuber with some subscribers has a patreon account now, or at least " buy me a coffee" link. Can't blame him to prefer just the money instead of random presents from fans but I would expect some more content.

Almost. I’ve noticed that his viewers can “buy him a coffee” and he’s plugged this in videos. buymeacoffee.com Essentially Patreon / gofundme but not necessarily monthly contributions.

I’ve decided to start my own fundraising begging-bowl buymeachateau.com
Sofar no patreon. He also mentioned he considered quitting since youtube takes so much time and he neglected other things. Maybe his parents just want their privacy and have a normal house or even an apartment only.

Disclaimer I know this is a gossip site. It is mean-spirited to use physical characteristics, education level and ethnicity as an insult. I think MP's actions can be seen as begging independently, but that's just me. 🤷‍♀️

Anyway Selmar's video quality is quite rubbish so I couldn't get through the one of Halloween. But I wonder if his other videos of the other carpentry/misc jobs he did prior to Lalande are to build up his portfolio as a self-employed person?

I wonder how this round of lockdown is going to affect SJ's videos. Saw that her Patreon is still consistently above $21k in the new month, so I guess that's good. At least we know the money is not going towards LV luggage and CK caps.
I agree you can't choose your parents and upbringing. You are only responsible for your own actions.
I agree, Selmar is a nice person but his dancing is always the same not professional at all. His little projects in his before château life are ok as a hobby but not really showing anything suitable for a portfolio. Anyway if you want to start a business as a foreigner. His English is poor, his French probably worse or not existing. I guess he organised this paperwork to be able to help Stéfanie, not to start a business in France. Though he might just survive with clients within the English community there since they all seem to stuck together.

It was amicable and they still keep in touch but very sporadically, sort of Christmas card level. Reason for divorce was that they wanted different lifestyles, she said she enjoyed spending lots of time with friends and groups, whereas he wanted the two of them to have more time to themselves and do everything together. It does not seem like a wound, just an experience in the past. She is more suited to a more sociable lifestyle, I would imagine that worked very well with Mr. Kettle in the 12 years they were together as a couple, and they still enjoy time together...I bet he wouldn't mind having some benefits...and I don't think Ruth is forever.
Also her ex seems to travel a lot and live abroad that's why it took them 10 years to get divorced

Last edited:
I don't really "do" Facebook but, out of idle curiosity, I looked at the OFFICIAL Lalande page which is now run on Stephanie's behalf by a Virtual Assistant. It appears that the "assistant" has done virtually nothing to push the vlogs on a regular basis and there is very little footfall in terms of footsoldiers' comments.

Which makes me wonder if diehard fans have migrated to Brenda's private group, aka fan fest, in which not one murmur of dissent or criticism is permitted. All very cultish and crespy, particularly the way in which the Irish Mammy seems to glory in her self-appointed status and power to pontificate on all matters Lalande (which have zilch to with her) and wield the threat of blocking a member like a cyber samurai swordsman.

The personal fiefdom she has created is almost unhealthy in the way it feeds off and encourages an obsession.

She sure as hell can't take criticism directed towards her own actions.

Quite the little despot, oozing self-importance of her own making.

n.b. I'm not suggesting for one minute that all members of the private FB chateaux groups have been infected with this mutant strain of Fan Fever!!!!!!!!

Does Brenda operate with Stephanie's knowledge and blessing? I've no idea, but I would hope that she is not complicit. You could argue that Lalande has received enough exposure through the vlogs, which started off on the back of appearing on an afternoon TV show, to not need its own Facebook page and that these private groups are nothing more than satellites over which Stephanie has no control.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

@burnrave I totally agree. Those things are unchangeable but crap taste, begging, brazenly and boringly muscling in on SJ’s hard work etc are all fair game in my view.

Reactions: 3
Does any one know anything of Stephanie 's ex husband? She has kept in touch with so many of her exes... But not her husband. Open wound still after 20 yrs?
I tried to find out..no luck! Would love to see her toyboy.. and wonder what went wrong..

• Haha
Re the official Lalande FB site. For some reason it is named Chateau de La Lande which is why I think searches more likely bring up the Karen and Brenda sites, which give every impression as being official.

Reactions: 6
Though I must say with 20000 euros he can't come far. I am not surprised he needs more. Even if the mayor work is done by themselves. Anyway every youtuber with some subscribers has a patreon account now, or at least " buy me a coffee" link. Can't blame him to prefer just the money instead of random presents from fans but I would expect some more content.
What I've gathered, the initial sums were donated to put his head under a roof, give him a place to call own and help him to stand on his own two feet for the first time in his sorry life. He painted a lovely picture of a modest but charming cottage. Ambitions have grown: Bespoke kitchen cabinets, high end fixtures etc. eat any budget quickly. He spends like money is going out of fashion. If he really bought an expensive watch, that just shows his disrespect to his patreons. He keeps his advertising revenue to himself and expects patreons to pay for every nail and bolt. If the cottage is truly his dream, surely he would live frugally and spend all his money towards it?

• Heart
What I don't get is why Michael needs another gofund me page now? He's raked in more money this past year and his project isn't even half way done. As I stated before he'd been better off to demolish the dump and start over.

Reactions: 8
It's how you play with the cards given. We can't separate background, education, social class etc. from the person if we want to gossip and speculate motivations and psychology behind their actions. It's condescending to see them as victims, I don't think MP or SJ see themselves as ones, neither should you. They are capable, adult people who display themselves voluntarily. They know they have to take the bad with the good. Please don't get upset on behalf of them :)

• Heart
Reactions: 11
What I don't get is why Michael needs another gofund me page now? He's raked in more money this past year and his project isn't even half way done. As I stated before he'd been better off to demolish the dump and start over.
The cottage is a tiny one bedroom house. If you spread your arms you can almost touch opposite ends. Boy trotter needs more money to realize his "nautical" decoration scheme. He hasn't even started on his bathroom; A copper bathtub (because Steph has one) is a must. Parisian antique stores sell beautiful Art Deco taps, sinks, toilets (he needs to keep the authentic palatial gardeners cottage feel. He will gild the taps himself, there'll be a 3 episodes long "how to"-tutorial.) Bathroom is so small, maybe he could splash some cash on antique tiling? Hey, it's only Patreon money and they tell him he deserves to treat himself for a change 😂

Brenda will gift couple of her toile panals for curtains.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart

Sofar no patreon. He also mentioned he considered quitting since youtube takes so much time and he neglected other things. Maybe his parents just want their privacy and have a normal house or even an apartment only.

I agree you can't choose your parents and upbringing. You are only responsible for your own actions.
I agree, Selmar is a nice person but his dancing is always the same not professional at all. His little projects in his before château life are ok as a hobby but not really showing anything suitable for a portfolio. Anyway if you want to start a business as a foreigner. His English is poor, his French probably worse or not existing. I guess he organised this paperwork to be able to help Stéfanie, not to start a business in France. Though he might just survive with clients within the English community there since they all seem to stuck together.

Also her ex seems to travel a lot and live abroad that's why it took them 10 years to get divorced
Wonder if he got a share of the chateau?

• Heart
I decided to brave the gift fest vlog from yesterday. It’s getting worse! My use of the fast forward button is getting very good.
-how grabby is Isabelle getting? I’ve never seen a lady of a certain age move so fast to grab items that she wanted. Vulgar.
-I see they’re still framing everything vaguely flat.
-how sad that people are giving away such items of sentimental value (tea set at the end) to people they barely know.
-the yellow ‘charger‘ plates SJ found at Emmaus are from Ikea. I know because I have one and we call it the pizza plate. (Clearly we don’t live in a shat-o)
-Tomaz mentioned twice through gritted teeth. Interesting looks around the table.....
-not quite sure why they were so excited with the lipsticks-even the sender said they were the ones left ‘that no one in the office wanted’. I can see why.
I’m almost tempted to send something so hideously naff to see what the gush level is..........🤔🤔🤔

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I used to watch the gift giving, but I'm not going to any more. I can see why Nick didn't want to go along with it. This family clearly isn't hurting for money, so why the constant giving is beyond me. I wouldn't send anything of value myself. Isabelle is a piece of work, I'm sure everybody is glad that she's back with Percy.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
C'est la vie, please will you? Please send a gift so hideous that the nibbles get stuck and the champagne does a u-turn? It will indeed be interesting to see how believable the gushing level gets. 😘

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
In one of his videos ryan says that his parents live in france too but they have their own house not uncle lee manor. I am presuming that the house is a humble abode unlike the châteaux and manors that audience is used to seeing. Hence he hasnt shown his house.

Although ryans videos are boring without much content. Atleast he seems like a man with integrity. He has outright said that he wont be having a patreon or gofundme acccount. He will work on his craft of video making. Not ask for money.
He IS asking for money, the " Buy me a coffee or a croissant" is another way of panhandling IMO

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.