The Chateau Diaries #3 Escape to La La Land

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Great_Kate this is the video where she says she will be able to eat and pay essential bills at approx 16:13

I remember that kind of comment a few times in other videos and in particular Michael Petherick saying that Lalande would "go under" without the patrons.

It was completely contradictory to the lifestyle she had shown up till then which is why I think the focus switched to the patrons funding restoration projects.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I get the impression that Gerry pays for the holidays that he and SJ go on together, and that the trips with Mason are paid for by Mason.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@Great_Kate this is the video where she says she will be able to eat and pay essential bills at approx 16:13

I remember that kind of comment a few times in other videos and in particular Michael Petherick saying that Lalande would "go under" without the patrons.

It was completely contradictory to the lifestyle she had shown up till then which is why I think the focus switched to the patrons funding restoration projects.
Sure, it was scary back then when lockdown started. If you consider that no income will be generated but you still have to pay regular bills. We all had the same problem, only that her bills are probably higher. But still I believe it was more of a joke, even she can get some kind of support in France so she can afford food😁
But we can all agree she did the best in her situation. I do wonder how the Pethericks manage to get along in lockdown?

I get the impression that Gerry pays for the holidays that he and SJ go on together, and that the trips with Mason are paid for by Mason.
Yes, Gerry seems to gift her a trip every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
(I’ve hit rock bottom - blaming lockdown!)
Ive just watched latest Life of Ryan, only because it popped up in recommended videos, and surprisingly he’s on a visit to Basmaignee 🧐. He says at the start he’s there ‘legally and will explain later’ but he never does. A couple of people ask in comments and he does say that he went for business reasons other than YouTube 🤥. Again no masks in sight.... He asks Michael if he wants some help but spying the camera out MP gives him the brush off, probably so viewers don’t see how little he does. Ryan ends up helping Billy and a thoroughly boring vlog follows including a very uninformative discussion on raclette.
😴😴😴😴

Reactions: 8
Ive just watched latest Life of Ryan, only because it popped up in recommended videos, and surprisingly he’s on a visit to Basmaignee 🧐. He says at the start he’s there ‘legally and will explain later’ but he never does. A couple of people ask in comments and he does say that he went for business reasons other than YouTube 🤥. Again no masks in sight.... He asks Michael if he wants some help but spying the camera out MP gives him the brush off, probably so viewers don’t see how little he does. Ryan ends up helping Billy and a thoroughly boring vlog follows including a very uninformative discussion on raclette.
😴😴😴😴
Ryan lives at Basmaignee most of the time. When he's not at his uncle's place. People keep on asking him where are his parents and where does he lives, but he never answers.
Raclette... I saw that. He even didn't know what it was exactly and admitted he only ate raclette twice (each time at Basmaignee).
For someone who supposedly spent all his childhood and teens in France, I find this strange (raclette is a VERY popular dish in France).

That's because Stephanie (45) and Michael (34) are not 15.
At their age, they should know that what they do is called begging in real life.
I didn't mean literal 15 year olds, obviously. I'm more referring to 20-somethings just starting out in life. They're either travelling extensively or renovating a farmhouse while churning out infants. There's a phenomenon of perfectly natural blonde Mormons making cheese and sourdough in their Utah farm kitchen on youtube. My point is only that their fan base IS critical, just not about the money they're bringing in from the content they provide. That's not the case with Stephanie, and I assume it's because her fan base is older.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Ryan lives at Basmaignee most of the time. When he's not at his uncle's place. People keep on asking him where are his parents and where does he lives, but he never answers.
Raclette... I saw that. He even didn't know what it was exactly and admitted he only ate raclette twice (each time at Basmaignee).
For someone who supposedly spent all his childhood and teens in France, I find this strange (raclette is a VERY popular dish in France).
Does anyone else not find Ryan totally creepy? Nothing adds up.
It’s pretty obvious everything he says is a lie. And he’s too stupid to realize everyone can see he’s lying.

Why do these chateaus attract slimy grifters? We’ve exposed and sussed out the Trotters, Phil and Angelina, Ryan and the Renee and her wife. All scammers on some level. (Don’t think Hanni is a grifter, but a Walter Mitty type character)

• Heart
Ive just watched latest Life of Ryan, only because it popped up in recommended videos, and surprisingly he’s on a visit to Basmaignee 🧐. He says at the start he’s there ‘legally and will explain later’ but he never does.
I wondered if they were going to take on Ryan to bring some life to their vlogs 😂 Their "boy Stephanie" for some potential laughs while they smother the entire warren from Watership Down.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Does anyone else not find Ryan totally creepy? Nothing adds up.
It’s pretty obvious everything he says is a lie. And he’s too stupid to realize everyone can see he’s lying.

Why do these chateaus attract slimy grifters? We’ve exposed and sussed out the Trotters, Phil and Angelina, Ryan and the Renee and her wife. All scammers on some level. (Don’t think Hanni is a grifter, but a Walter Mitty type character)
Just reading comments on Ryan's latest vlog...
OMG lots of comments literally killing Michael P. for his "nastiness and bad sarcasm" towards Ryan in several vlogs and saying he should be grateful to be allowed to live at his brother's castle and to be given a lift everywhere he wants in Ryan's car.
Ryan tried to defend him once but gave up after that.
It seems there's a rebellion against Michael in the air.... 😲

• Wow
  • Heart
What I find really bizarre about Stephanie's father is that he chose psychiatric nursing as a career, as did Isabelle -a notoriously difficult and underpaid job, but with expensive tastes in almost every sphere. That he and Isabelle worked hard and managed to achieve their dreams in a caring profession rather than in ,say banking Is pretty unusual. The few photos we saw of him has that eager beaver quality of his daughter plus the delight he took in the gold plated cutlery, fountains, silks etc that he gifted them - how could Stephanie, daddy's girl, not be similar?
Another peculiar thing is seeing Uncle Lee the Chatelain (?) - he seems so misplaced there, I mean he doesn't show much interest in what must have been his parents' very attractive mansion. Interestingly too, he was World Thai boxing champion at some stage.
One more thing, I saw in a workaway feed various volunteers talking about Lalande', with someone describing Giovanni and Ivo,who worked from morning to night, making cheese and baking and looking after everything. I think he even said they worked their fingers to the bone. I wonder who they were, probably Italian. The post has now gone Pity no mention Is made of people who had passed through..(cheeseman no 1?)

• Wow
  • Haha
When Patreon was first set up Stephanie did seem to imply she was broke, in one of the quarantine videos she was gushing with thanks and saying "now I can afford to eat!" which was very disingenuous.

Anyway she seems to have changed that narrative now and her patrons seem to get good value for money with the extra videos etc.
The 2k€ stained glass window bill had gone unpaid for 6 years yet endless vacations. If you remove the Château finances and just focus on her UK flat, Isabel’s homes in the UK and SA they all have yearly taxes and upkeep and there is no income stream. Her parents were self made but selling a couple of nursing homes couldn’t have created that level of wealth. And she didn’t grew up that wealthy because she would have had a proper nanny not a teenage boy they roped into babysitting.

Her dad gave her the second flat in London. Just like that. A little nothing as we say in french.

No no, her father gave the flat to Stephanie after the purchase of Lalande.
Gift of not one but two flats! God I should have been an only child!!!

Gerry is a sweet guy but how does someone who owns a taxicab business and who is already away from it in France quite a bit afford just the two trips that made in on the blogs? It doesn’t seem like it was that big of a business considering SJ counts answering his phones as one of the times she was employed.
The trips to Egypt and Viet Nam were both VVIP and over the top. SJ did not have many followers at the time so they weren’t booked to generate interest and gain more followers. It seemed like a normal trips they would take which is anything but normal. Even the trips with Mason seemed more average run of the mill romantic get aways.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I don’t think there is anything fishy with the finances. Stephanie never gave the impression, she herself is short for money. She never hid that she has been highly supported by her parents in that department, but she also hasn’t pointed it out directly. But everyone watching and listening can see it. The travels (I had a look at some hotels: £££), buying a Chateau mortgage free, maintaining it without breaking even in 15 years, the renovations are not just some hush hush cheap botch, getting your hand not just on one but two London flats- one bought at a time were prices were already completely through the roof, she wears some very expensive brands- and they are still expensive when you buy them second hand, her love for those extremely expensive porcelain (a plate for more than 200€ is nothing but insane), the alcohol brands, the food....
She and Nick were obviously smart enough to distinguish the Chateau from their personal wealth. (I don’t buy the “not a business lady narrative at all.) It’s absolutely fine to not go broke to renovate a Chateau. They always planned on re-selling and I don’t think that’s completely off the table (iirc she mentioned this in the flower show vlog). When people started asking for ways to donate so she could make more progress in renovating the Chateau, she set up the Patreon. I think it started for renovating the Chapel. People loved the content and were willing to pay to get more of it. And they loved the Chapel and many wanted to specifically donate to get it done. The vlogs definitely had a different vibe and were more relaxed, sprinkled with jet set lifestyle fun and had well executed renovation content. I think people that haven’t watched from the start have a harder way to see that. Especially as many parts of her “wealthy” lifestyle aren’t as visible at the moment.
Since the beginning of the year, you can definitely tell that things changed though. I think it’s sad that it’s not clear what renovating projects the Patreon money goes to at the moment. That, I find fishy. The gift channel is just embarrassing and looks greedy.
But her personal or her parents financial backgrounds aren’t really that mysterious. Her parents made money and she (and Isabelle too) probably mostly live off good invested stock portfolios. Renting out a London flat is also not a bad scheme, but it seems she doesn’t have to do all the time.
Agree in part

However on her you tube video - cost of running a chat eoooo

There was a mortgage that was paid off

🚨🤩 fair play 🤩🚨

However all three of the three amigos supplement the chateau it’s never broken even
2020 was to be THE year /. Covid 2020 wrecked it

As she said ... there’s always 2021

How or where they Got their money prior to patron

Is really none of our same business 🚨😝

What I find really bizarre about Stephanie's father is that he chose psychiatric nursing as a career, as did Isabelle -a notoriously difficult and underpaid job, but with expensive tastes in almost every sphere. That he and Isabelle worked hard and managed to achieve their dreams in a caring profession rather than in ,say banking Is pretty unusual.
Private care homes are pretty lucrative!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I bow to your greatness 🤩🤩🤩🤩

I am really flattered that you think I am an "insider" or long term friend of Stephanie's. I wish I was. It would be an honour. I have no inside knowledge but I am an admirer, Patreon member and avid viewer of the Chateau Diaries. I have also stated that I am a fan and so all my comments will be positive. However, I have not been so non judgemental of the other Chateau vlogs, as you can see from my comments. Having said that, I do agree, from the evidence you have provided, that Stephanie does hint about her likes and that does influence what turns up as gifts. I am not a gifter to the Chateau, but when shopping for friends, it is a whole lot easier if I have some ideas of what would please them.
🦄🦄🦄🚨. Kudos 🚨🦄🦄🦄🦄

I hear ya ... patron as well ... not the least bit envious or suspicious 😒

Just calling a spade a spade

Lovely to have you here 💚💚💚

Reactions: 1
The 2k€ stained glass window bill had gone unpaid for 6 years yet endless vacations. If you remove the Château finances and just focus on her UK flat, Isabel’s homes in the UK and SA they all have yearly taxes and upkeep and there is no income stream. Her parents were self made but selling a couple of nursing homes couldn’t have created that level of wealth. And she didn’t grew up that wealthy because she would have had a proper nanny not a teenage boy they roped into babysitting.

Gift of not one but two flats! God I should have been an only child!!!

Gerry is a sweet guy but how does someone who owns a taxicab business and who is already away from it in France quite a bit afford just the two trips that made in on the blogs? It doesn’t seem like it was that big of a business considering SJ counts answering his phones as one of the times she was employed.
The trips to Egypt and Viet Nam were both VVIP and over the top. SJ did not have many followers at the time so they weren’t booked to generate interest and gain more followers. It seemed like a normal trips they would take which is anything but normal. Even the trips with Mason seemed more average run of the mill romantic get aways.
Actually if you do some research and book early you can get these River cruises quite cheap. Don't forget that Gerry is single and never had to pay for wife and kids. Owning a taxi business is good enough, why shouldn't he made some nice money with it? Also he might be saving a while for it. He is now in retirement age, maybe he wants to spoil his little sister a bit? Why not? Flying via Ryanair to France is no big deal. Since he is not paying for hotel and food there.
Same with Mason, I don't think he paid for the flight and even those can be cheap if arranged properly. But it is normal hospitality to pay for food when you have guests. I am sure SJ brought a nice present ;)

😴😴😴😴
But at least he provides videos on regular basis. They are simple videos about just anything what comes his way since he has no chateau to call his own. He has some charm, but sometimes tries too hard to be funny. I guess he will inherit his uncles mansion one day.

By renting out (a not too small from the looks of it in prev vlogs, flat in London) at least there is a regular income. Monthly rentals of a more than one room flat in London are massive, probably the equivalent of a well paid job! Selling it would give a heafty lump sum but then there would be the risk that would quickly get spent. Mind you a good amount of money would pay for the structural repairs the chateau needs (I have to stop typing shat-o as it’s coming too easily now!)
Yeah, it is a simple business decision what you prefer. I would not give up a flat in London, too.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I suspect Gerry lives simply and well within his means. Stephanie pointed out his business on a recent vlog when she was given a map of Framlington. Here it is on google street view. There has been no mention of a family for him so I am sure that he loves to treat his sister and that she is good company. They share one hotel room so the costs will not be that much more than going as a single person but much more enjoyable.

860F93BF-7D4D-48A4-841F-05D875F5B725.jpeg
D47B54DD-FD0C-46D4-BC4C-655D8C0035F7.jpeg

Her dad gave her the second flat in London. Just like that. A little nothing as we say in french.

No no, her father gave the flat to Stephanie after the purchase of Lalande.
Probably also a business decision. If you have some money it is better to invest and buy real estate and have debts again. Once the apartment is paid off you start all over again. Also it is smart to spent the money than paying taxes when you inherit. It may have been a donation to SJ to save her taxes later.

Nick was here during the gifts opening. Marie spoke to him about the porcelain cups they got for their apartment. She also explained that Antoine was with his grandparents for the school break (vacances de Toussaint).
Have I understood correctly ?
Yes, Antoine needs to visit his grandparents on regular basis. Lalande is just a summer house for them.

Nobody said it was bad to have money.
It doesn't seem fair though to ask (or suggest whatever you want to call it) for more money not to survive, no, but to renovate your dream project.
BTW Stephanie doesn't pay any mortgage or whatever for her SECOND flat in London : her dad gave it to her.
My family leaves between two countries too. And guess what....we don't have a flat in Paris for when we're bored in our other country 😉
But still you do stay someplace when you go there. As I said it is a business decision everybody has to decide if it is worthwhile to invest and take a credit on or not.

Why not fair? Stephanie has entered into a very favourable all party agreement with her viewers. She will provide much wanted vlog content and the income from these will be hers. To ensure she can provide sufficient and extra content, Patreons have offered her further finance to make progress with the chateau in order to enhance that content. Their provision is entirely voluntary. My only concern for Stephanie is that some Patreons can be quite demanding and their expectations are high. The account has only been running for about eight months and already someone has asked for end of year accounts so they can see "how far we have come." Even the Inland Revenue only requires once a year reportage. Many seem to expect to stay at the Chateau as volunteers, which is fine if they have the appropriate skill set, but not all will have. Many would be happy to stay as guest and see the chateau as affordable, but will they be prepared or even able to pay the increased prices that can be gained from the extra amenities that will shortly be there and that they perceive they have already "paid" for? And I cannot help but think that as the B&B was only ever a way of financing the chateau, and the chateau is now being financed - how long will it be before the B&B actually closes to guests and the rooms allotted Stephanie's many visiting friends or TV camera crews, or very rich Patreons who can afford to buy into the whole "I am a real friend visiting". I do wonder.
I believe only longterm patreons get some discount on the rooms, 20 %being the highest. Still enough money to be earned even if all the guest are patreons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
For those interested in family money, using easy internet searches, the nursing home was Cransford Hall in Framlington. It was last on the market in 2012 for £2,750,000.

Or a former school and one-time nursing home? Cransford Hall is a 1910 Edwardian mansion in Norfolk. It’s been an 18 bedroom girls boarding house in the past and more recently a residential care home.

You lot are a bad influence, made me nosey!

• Wow
I believe the argument hinges on YouTube versus Patreon. Youtube could provide SJ an income to do with exactly as she pleases . Patreon has created an entitlement culture amongst her fans , mostly her own fault IMO. There are lots of YouTube millionaires and no one begrudges them there success, SJ could be one of them, and secure her future income if she took professional advice ? All these thoughts are meant well .
I believe she can still spent the patreon money on anything she likes, just not her private stuff. So if she choses to spent all the patreon money on restoring the lake
For those interested in family money, using easy internet searches, the nursing home was Cransford Hall in Framlington. It was last on the market in 2012 for £2,750,000.

Or a former school and one-time nursing home? Cransford Hall is a 1910 Edwardian mansion in Norfolk. It’s been an 18 bedroom girls boarding house in the past and more recently a residential care home.

Wow, now this answers all the questions...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.