The Chateau Diaries #160 A Slugabed & an Ultracrepidarian Fudgel all day. More Is More.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm not in a position to judge whether it's half-assed or backwards. I am in a position to judge that he made a habitable, plumbed, electrified, newly-roofed, windowed, insulated/due to be re-insulated, and pointed/rendered/fortified wall space out of an abandoned ruin. He has single handedly returned to the housing stock of his tiny village an affordable dwelling no one else could or would tackle. His barn could be made into apartments, which he could do next. No ETTC chatelain can say the same or has made half the contribution to the French rural economy that Dan has.
Not everybody has the money to hire contractors to do the work or to go to a second trade school after culinary school. People asking why invest your money and time in such a dump are people who have never been without any other option. Admittedly Dan is an amateur home and DIY renovator, and I don't know anyone outside the amateur home DIY reno blog/vlog world who'd have the stones to climb up on the roof and re-do it singlehandedly. Or, as in the case of insulating the house, admit that it needs re-doing.
Dan may be on the tit list here, but what he's taught himself, and what he's done for that house, may be enough to say he has met his challenge in life. As is usual in the home reno blog/vlog world I've been following for 25 years, people without money or skills get their PhDs in home construction by doing it half-assed and backwards, and over and over again, with all the heart in the world.
Holding 21st c young people to middle class/boomer/Gen X economic standards is unrealistic.
Well said Billybudd. Dan has worked hard and yes made lots of mistakes but props to him and Annalise for making a home on a shoestring. I just wish he / they could renovate their lives together, not as some soppy fairytale just to be a happy family.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I'm not in a position to judge whether it's half-assed or backwards. I am in a position to judge that he made a habitable, plumbed, electrified, newly-roofed, windowed, insulated/due to be re-insulated, and pointed/rendered/fortified wall space out of an abandoned ruin. He has single handedly returned to the housing stock of his tiny village an affordable dwelling no one else could or would tackle. His barn could be made into apartments, which he could do next. No ETTC chatelain can say the same or has made half the contribution to the French rural economy that Dan has.
Not everybody has the money to hire contractors to do the work or to go to a second trade school after culinary school. People asking why invest your money and time in such a dump are people who have never been without any other option. Admittedly Dan is an amateur home and DIY renovator, and I don't know anyone outside the amateur home DIY reno blog/vlog world who'd have the stones to climb up on the roof and re-do it singlehandedly. Or, as in the case of insulating the house, admit that it needs re-doing.
Dan may be on the tit list here, but what he's taught himself, and what he's done for that house, may be enough to say he has met his challenge in life. As is usual in the home reno blog/vlog world I've been following for 25 years, people without money or skills get their PhDs in home construction by doing it half-assed and backwards, and over and over again, with all the heart in the world.
Holding 21st c young people to middle class/boomer/Gen X economic standards is unrealistic.
To be honest what they have done with very little cash is amazing and whatever else he does put the work in

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I’ve never been a guest in Dan & Annalise’s house, I’ve only seen what he has shown the world. His heart might be in the right place, following a dream for a better, more affordable life in France, but…. One step forward, two steps back. Are there less holes in the walls and roof, maybe? Would you want Dan to redo the electrical system in your house? I would not.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Well said Billybudd. Dan has worked hard and yes made lots of mistakes but props to him and Annalise for making a home on a shoestring. I just wish he / they could renovate their lives together, not as some soppy fairytale just to be a happy family.
It would be better if he wasn't being a compleat asshole. Or could resist showing himself to be a compleat asshole, as many of the DIY reno vloggers have the savvy to do.
Here is Daniel Kanter's long, sad, revealing mea culpa for abandoning a DIY reno on a little urban cottage. Dan would never.
And Annelise' vacay in the Cap d'Agde -- isn't that where Jarvis' granny's apartment is? Is that where Annelise is staying?
Clara on Jarvis' Cap d'Agde apartment:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
What??? Why not return to Chateau de Lalande for Stephanie Jarvis' birthday???
View attachment 1413382
What a drama Queen you are Stewart, so LaLande 😂 😂 😂 😂

I can assure you that every Mother f'ig bus in Europe has air con. Even local routes between towns. Cos it gets so Mother f'ing hot
She's delusional and posting crap for crap sake.

Marie Wiik's new IG bio, number 10001. Better return to the drawing board.

Marie Wiik
Florist, aspiring Chef and amature photographer!
As seen on the British Tv-series ‘Escape to the Chateau DIY’
✉[email protected]
www.patreon.com/mariewiiksdiary?fan_landing=true
Straight to her email or Patreon :unsure::mad:

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve never been a guest in Dan & Annalise’s house, I’ve only seen what he has shown the world. His heart might be in the right place, following a dream for a better, more affordable life in France, but…. One step forward, two steps back. Are there less holes in the walls and roof, maybe? Would you want Dan to redo the electrical system in your house? I would not.
If I were Annelise with two babies and the choice was Dan or no electricity, the answer is Dan.
Take disposable income/privilege out of the calculation.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
La Jarvis is reeling in vast dollops of dosh with little (other than profligate extravagance and fripperies) to show for it, that's for certain, but "Channel 4 revenue"?
Right....more than several of the families featured on Channel 4 have indicated that they are not paid but acknowledge that the exposure on Channel 4 has helped with their B&B business.

Reactions: 7
Poor Phyllis - run out of boot polish that night?

View attachment 1413353

View attachment 1413355
A new dress Stephanie? And no heating or electrical rewiring, no restoration of the chapel, lake façades, terraces, window replacements, etc…
The dress is from Alexander McQueen Resort 2020. I present to you look 16…

View attachment 1413359
She probably stashed that in Narnia in 2020, then dragged it out (she must have been frothing at the mouth to get to wear it) for vlogs when she thought no-one would notice. Probably wore it all over, we've just not seen it. I bet she didn't buy that at at a charity shop :mad:

Reactions: 11
Your on Lady Avonlea....... I will take your heat and humidity and you can have this freezing cold and rain! 🌂
You can have mine too, 35 here in Spain and rising. Dont get me on the humidity 🥵🥵🥵🥵 the UK heatwave is a piece of cake for me and looking good for our return very soon (y) plus we can guarantee as soon as the UK school holidays start, it'll rain on and off for 6 weeks 🥰 I love UK weather

• Haha
Reactions: 8
We're Dan's 'Turkey Teeth' worth the risk? There's a new BBC documentary looking into the damage of 'Turkey Teeth' and asking whether the risks really outweigh the savings on having cheaper treatment, with UK dentists warning the complications can leave patients with huge medical bills to fix shoddy work.

'Turkey teeth' trend leaves thousands of Britons with dead stumps, abscesses and serious dental issues: NHS paying for repairs of many who fly out for cut-price crowns and veneers fueled by dream for perfect reality TV smile’

i posted as well - great minds think alike. TTD has to go back to Turkey in a couple of months for a checkup - hopefully none are lose or falling out. .

yes, I posted in the last thread about this also have actually been to turkey many times and seen some of the conditions in the smaller hospitals. I live in the middle east and you really get great deals for veneers and crowns but be careful. you have to research and actually visit the dentist first to see them doing work on others note the hygiene levels, in particular, the assistant's hygiene some are deadbeat lazy, disinterested in their job and I wouldn't go near them. I have been lucky enough to recently get a great dentist he is still not as experienced but the level of hygiene is impeccable and his assistant great .getting a set of dentures upper and lower, plus two major fillings for 212.04 euro

Reactions: 9
Anna and Philip are they giving teh finger to Patreons as well? Last year in summer (their best time for $) they went on a two week holiday hiring a yatch. Filmed it both weeks to keep content going. Now they just disappear on holiday (their best time for $) leaving a manager in that works 6 days a week. Only inform everyone when vlog is due. Dont begrudge them family time but all holidays away in holiday season are preplanned.

Now back to de lalacelle. Yet more volunteers not family in last month they have had four non family volunteers around the place.. Yet agin another Stephanie copy. The so called John who appears with gifts as he downsizing (away exactly what Terry wants) never seen him but he has had a lot of visits and drop offs. Again copy of Stephanie buying and disguising. Notice Tony becoming more distant, wonder if he not comfortable.
Not int
People who are serious about B and B don't take vacations during the busy months simple as that
Families with young children of school age take vacations during the school holidays!

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
If that‘s considered value to the community/economy it‘s a hard sell 🤣🤣🤣 and yes you can hold ADULTS accountable for their actions 👈

Reactions: 6
The new Alexander Mcqueen dress wore Steph. That would be getting on for £2K new, but lets guess she found it at Emmaus !
OK theories so far :

She got a HUGE discount because it's a 'seconds'
It was Ruthie's but she legged it, so Steff has merely 'borrowed' it till Ruthie reclaims it
Potsy bought it for Ruth but they split before he could give it to her, so he gave it to Steff
She bought it at a chi chi second-hand frock swap when she was in London last time at a HUGE discount obvs
It's Dana's and she's lent it to Steff on the understanding she can use her kitchen once in a while so Dan hasn't got to travel too far for film her cooking vlogs
It's Snorts, he bought it with the dosh he earnt for his 'acting debut' and he's lent it to her

Any more ????? :unsure:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I wonder if Dan has given this a read..

Why anyone would pay to have their teeth shaved down to nubs is beyond me..

I believe he was pressured a little bit because it was a sponsorship discount and they wanted as much PR as possible.

OK theories so far :

She got a HUGE discount because it's a 'seconds'
It was Ruthie's but she legged it, so Steff has merely 'borrowed' it till Ruthie reclaims it
Potsy bought it for Ruth but they split before he could give it to her, so he gave it to Steff
She bought it at a chi chi second-hand frock swap when she was in London last time at a HUGE discount obvs
It's Dana's and she's lent it to Steff on the understanding she can use her kitchen once in a while so Dan hasn't got to travel too far for film her cooking vlogs
It's Snorts, he bought it with the dosh he earnt for his 'acting debut' and he's lent it to her

Any more ????? :unsure:
It’s Mummy’s vintage frock that she left behind at the HMN along with her wedding outfit. PhiPhi wears the wedding frock with his painted white nails to bed so Ms. HMN can pretend she’s on honeymoon 🤣🤣🤣 After all Mummy beat her to the altar 😂😂😂

• Haha
La Jarvis is reeling in vast dollops of dosh with little (other than profligate extravagance and fripperies) to show for it, that's for certain, but "Channel 4 revenue"?
I should have said “Escape to the Chateau DIY TV Show revenue” (but Channel 4 revenue was less of a mouthful! 😄)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.