The Chateau Diaries #12 Carry on grifting

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh this sounds
@Clara Burnett, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy your contributions on here as you have a lot of credible insider knowledge that has proved to be most interesting and I'm forever grateful that you brought the colourful Edmond Fokker into our lives. You clearly knew Stephanie personally but intuition tells me that there's a lot more to the story than you just feeling aggrieved on behalf of your Dutch friends. I don't suppose we'll ever find out but I often sit here and wonder.........
Oh this sounds a bit like a fishing expedition..

Well as
No it's you who misunderstands the severity of her condition: she does not need ideas for excuses.

To wherever he came from? I mean, he can repatriate, can't he?

He still chooses to be there, because he feels it's an opportunity. The only thing to feel poor about, is that he's not protected in any way.
Well we agree on that then.

Reactions: 1
On the other side she has a, not so warm but free, roof over her head at Lalande and no obvious qualifications on paper so in the middle of a pandemic where you are is probably the best place to be as getting accommodation and jobs not exactly easy.. England are today looking at introducing New Zealand style enforced hotel quarantine at your own cost so it's a case of jump now or rethink her plans.
Marie pays rent for her stable floral studio.

Reactions: 6
His permanent address is in the chateau. He's not a homeless drifter. The law is there to prevent people living indefinitely in caravans on empty lots, on the roadside etc. unauthorized places, even if privately owned (courtyard of a chateau is an authorized place btw.) If he wants to make his camper his official home, then he needs to apply permits from the authorities (and SJ), but since he's officially living in the chateau, there's no need for the permit. No law prohibits keeping a camper fully operational in the courtyard and sleeping in it, just not as an official residence, like in trailer parks with their own mailboxes, garden gnomes and patio furniture.
Thanks Nati, for explaining SJ's interpretation of the law. As usual, it's a bit one sided, but I'm sure the authorities will fall for her charming words too!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I often wonder what happen when they receive gifts that they find unsuitable to open on camera.
- It just gets missed of. View attachment 403102
This is so sad! A grown woman, I assume from her photo, acting so pleased with herself for sending socks and actually believing that they love all her corny gifts. She must have sent the package ages ago if Tartan Man was there. I hope she bought a few extra socks for the homeless in her town.

Reactions: 11
I thought he had changed his numberplate to a French one? I can assure you I am completely aware of Jarvis condition. I have read all the threads, I am aware of your friends. I understand how people have been taken advantage of. I am saying that it appears that she is using Tattle as a means of cleaning up her act or using comments from here to reflect what is included in her vlogs.
Well good for her. Cleaning up her act won't hurt anyone. She should have been taking care of things even without our kind suggestions long ago.

@Clara Burnett, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy your contributions on here as you have a lot of credible insider knowledge that has proved to be most interesting and I'm forever grateful that you brought the colourful Edmond Fokker into our lives. You clearly knew Stephanie personally but intuition tells me that there's a lot more to the story than you just feeling aggrieved on behalf of your Dutch friends. I don't suppose we'll ever find out but I often sit here and wonder.........
I share everyones grievances, just watching her greed on a bigger stage now make me more eager to respond.

thought he had changed his numberplate to a French one?
Same rules apply for French mobile homes though....

Reactions: 3
Question: what does ‘Downthumb’ mean. I watch the vlogs occasionally but do not subscribe - because I don’t want to give them revenue .. I also skip adverts! Is there something I should do to avoid them getting revenue?
It's actually called a Dislike button. There is a "thumbs up" icon and a "thumbs down" icon on the right-hand side below the title of each video. This is where viewers can show their "like" or dislike" for the content by clicking whichever icon. It has no effect on revenue. However, advertisers are less likely to advertise on a video that has more dislikes than likes and Youtube is less likely to bump that video in search results. A channel such as Chateau Diaries, with so many subscribers and coolaid fans, is not going to be hurt by dislikes.

I think they only get revenue through the ads that play on the vlogs and they have to be watched in full - so if you choose Skip Ads they make no revenue. Please anyone who knows more lets know, do they make revenue just by people clicking into their vlog / thumbs up or downing / or even making comments or is it just through ads? I can't imagine if I put up a pile of :poop: about a pile of :poop: - like say a vlog of me looking at the wall - would I make money from YouTube becasue someone gave it a thumbs down?
Watched in full or clicked on. The revenue is higher if an ad is clicked on and the user makes a purchase on the advertiser's site. Liking or disliking the video will feed into the algorithm and let Youtube know "this is popular content" as will comments but you need the manpower of watching/ clicking on ads to generate income. There are some channels that put advertisements on that are unskippable, 30 seconds- 15 seconds. For these, the creator will generate income unless you click off the video before the ad finishes.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Hello Guys and Girls, a few disclaimers up front; I am new to contributing (however, I have been viewing comments for a while), and I am a chateau owner located new CDLL. At first, I was over joyed at the ETTC C4 show, as it contributed to knowledge about what we chateau owners face. The introduction of local chateau owners on the DIY show. Then SJ started the vlogs, all very good and a semi-true reflection of life here. However, last May I contacted her regarding the gift giving. Expressed my concerns of the distaste of it, and the additional begging of MP and Marie. I was immediately attacked by idiots on her comment section. However, SJ herself seemed to be taking it on board via messages. TBH I was only communicated with as she knew I was a local chateau owner.

The situation we chateau’s (as mentioned previously) is they are money pits – you enter into this relationship (with the beast of a house) with full knowledge of this. Baseline is, she has been there 15 years and little structural work has been completed. Way too much money is spent on surface nonsense. Additionally, the privileged and moneyed background is screaming out to be disclosed, which Tattle has done. If she was as poor as she proclaims there are grants from AHAN which go to restoring old buildings. You can assess this money if you are of a low income. In assessing these grants you must disclose all income, for Miss SJ not to be able to avail herself of these grants means she is well above the threshold of income which a normal chateau owner would be.

As to a tax situation re Patreon income, this will be, as of yet be declared, as under FR law it is, as of yet not covered. Workaways have been removed, again for the legal reasons surrounding employing people in FR. The hours they worked etc. would have made them employees under FR law.

I also highlighted the jumping on the money train by MP and Marie; whilst I am sure are nice people this was tasteless and low behaviour. They are all fully aware the vast majority of people who are donating are vulnerable people for a variety of reasons. Therefore, after seeing the ‘hinting’ for items on vlogs I ceased to watch. Marie, again I have communicated with, and she is quite a rude person, trying to give allowance for cultural differences. However, she has never held down a job and is emotionally suspended in childhood. Also, why is she paying rent on stables, when she is compensating SJ with cooking and cleaning? MK vlog on D&A, legally speaking he did not mention the names therefore one could argue himself out of a legal fight. This would not go to court but a settlement talks. MK motives were quite simple, to damage another brand that he and SJ hope to replace. D&A will not retaliate as they will face many a CR claim to come whilst they are expanding their brand. MK incentive was to, in a very dysfunctional manner, enchant sympathy (the pity economy from which he does so well on P acc) and to bag possible sponsors or design deals. Again, this is very common in design world. However, I feel his P pennies would be better spend on a therapist and possible not dressing like a man who owns the manor house, as opposed to the cottage in the back of the manor. The arrested development and identity issues with all mentioned characters are a psychologist wet dream.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 54
Has he not done any in the whole year of lockdown?

I think they send them because they think that she is poor little Stephanie who needs to have cake & chocolate to cheer her up. Because she is living in a crumbling old millstone round her neck & she needs little treats from them. Because they have been led to believe this tale of woe from someone who has a big smile even in the face of such dreadful adversity. What a trooper she is.
I think they send gifts to get recognition. I just can't help but think that so many, not all, of SJs fans are very lonely people who have no one else to fuss over. It's really quite sad when you see hand crochet old-lady scarves in bright synthetic yarns and very cheap 'goodies' being wrapped up as if they are gems from Tiffany's. In a world of limited natural resources, you'd think SJ would request that her fans help save the planet by not buying junk, but then again, SJ seems to have absolutely no sense of environmental concerns. She really does exist in a vacuum when it comes to world events and problems only thinking of self-gratification like her idol Marie Antoinette and we know what happened to her!

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I think they were weak on Ettc and production got rid of them , their YT channels are also boring in my opinion, MK is making excuses and in doing so has threatened A&D livelihoods, he is a lazy , doesn’t want to work and is happy to ask others to fund him , I think he was happy to be paid for the design but when he saw Angel making more money from it he got greedy and wanted a bigger slice of the pie , I believe it was Angela idea , why would MK have that idea when it’s not his potege, garden or story ? He was hired and paid , he needs to stop believing his own hype ! His ego is out of control
If you had never seen their vlogs (agree the Pethricks filming each other are boring) it does not add up because Gwen, Billy, Michael and Baby Ernest all looked great on camera and I’m pretty sure they were the youngest of everyone from their season which appeal to a segment of viewers. Let’s face it there are other chateau owners that are far from compelling on film and a couple that are downright creepy and dodgy. Dick is very, very good at narrating the most dull of activities. God only knows what the cash outlay was for the projects they filmed. I’m sure the timelines conflicted with weddings etc. I highly doubt their cancellation was anything but retaliation.

Reactions: 12
He also speaks fluent French since he lived in Paris for 20 years... And English of course. What a guy!
He is also very funny! I don't think it takes much crap from anybody either.

And no wonder she has 3 helpings of each meal.. The poor girl is starving..
Well, if she's hungry she needs to go to the store and buy her own food. When you have a very restrictive diet you need to take care of yourself. Veganism is a choice, not a necessity.

Reactions: 13
If we base it on just the one year that would be €124,000 in extra income with a tax bill of €55,800 (that's at a rate of 45%).
This is aside from other income sources, such as the rent from the flat in London, which has probably not been declared for many years.

So, there's €55,800 plus €112,884 for just one year, bringing SJ's total annual tax bill to €168,684, at least.

Michael's current annual tax bill is/should be €11,640, but this doesn't include tax on other income sources, such has his YouTube and GFM activities.

I suggest that w**fter par excellence I-love-myself Michael Petherdick, whose world falls apart as soon as there's so much as a tiny scratch on one of his precious willow-pattern plates, and SJ at Château de la Fleur Fanée take a good look at these figures... when the French tax authorities get to know about this they will be most displeased!
Had a super quick scan of a few pages of this little missive... I'd say SJ is in a quagmire of non compliance, grabbing money from all sources, paying people - How? are they domociled in France or not - it's a Minefield and she is stuck in the middle of it I would say - could be wrong, she could have a fabulous French accountant managing all her books and revenue streams but they don't come cheap even if she can offset their fee!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I think they send gifts to get recognition. I just can't help but think that so many, not all, of SJs fans are very lonely people who have no one else to fuss over. It's really quite sad when you see hand crochet old-lady scarves in bright synthetic yarns and very cheap 'goodies' being wrapped up as if they are gems from Tiffany's. In a world of limited natural resources, you'd think SJ would request that her fans help save the planet by not buying junk, but then again, SJ seems to have absolutely no sense of environmental concerns. She really does exist in a vacuum when it comes to world events and problems only thinking of self-gratification like her idol Marie Antoinette and we know what happened to her!
It is sad. That people who such small lives think that they actually know someone who they see on a screen. I had a dear old auntie who used to regale me with all the goings on in a soap opera as if all the characters were real.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
It is sad. That people who such small lives think that they actually know someone who they see on a screen. I had a dear old auntie who used to regale me with all the goings on in a soap opera as if all the characters were real.
It is pathetic, I've seen people sending their family heirlooms to a total stranger that has more crap than she'll ever manage! Of course now she says the chateau needs more storage, really? Hoarder like no other Madame SJ, shameful!

• Sad
Reactions: 14
My curiousity was raised when it was mentioned in thread how expensive le Fleur was for b&b. Full disclosure here, i have only seen them on the C4 programme and at that time thought they had bitten off more than they could chew, raising children is enough of a full time job before you throw a chateau with wet and dry rot and a complete renovation into the mix, I have yet to watch their vlogs. I digress, in the interest of comparison I priced the same dates at le Fleur and at Lalande. La Fleur was about 15% more financially but miles ahead in quality and presentation. I know which I'd choose if it was a choice between them. SJ likes to be the princess but visiting la Fleur has only emphasized that lalande is the ugly sister.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
This is the bit which makes me laugh about all these vloggers etc...what may start off as a method of keeping your family updated on your activities can soon turn into, or be allowed to turn into...a pandoras box of a situation where you end up with thousands of complete strangers thinking you're their best friend!! ...and in her case, because they know the address, yes they could easily just turn up one day without invitation ...well once bloody Covid goes away

I know of people (not on TV) who own a big chateau, who have spent hundreds of thousands on the Reno & interiors, antiques etc and like to show off on IG...and before they know it they have people directly asking for an invite, and like the fools they are...they say oh yes, we are going to organise an open day for you all....who else in the right mind would do that in their normal home?? 😀
I would just love to see random fans showing up at the shat-o without calling ahead or being invited. Swarming around, oohing and awing over every little piece of kitsch, plugging up the plumbing, asking for tea, making themselves at home in the grand salon, and then leaving without cleaning up their mess. After all, SJ has invited fans to stop by but only on the weekends but you know how rabid fans are, they only hear what they want to.

• Haha
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.