The Chateau Diaries #108 Crazy, strange, eyes wide shut, in the middle of nowhere

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Dan is Dan. Everything he does is slipshod, rushed, on-the-cheap, and with a chip on his shoulder to boot. Nearly everything he does has to be re-done.

I question Davy's pergola plans. Did he not provide specifications and basic construction details? Much of the pergola structure will have to be rebuilt and the wall is being damaged. Why on earth is Dan having a go at this on his own?
Let's face it, if Dan didn't tackle it, no-one else is going to do anything to it. Davy certainly will be MIA with anything hands on! I really don't think that Davy has either the expertise or ability to see this project through. He's completely out of his depth here. Fanny won't care, as long as she has some pie-in=the-sky notion to 'ooh' and 'ah' over. Getting the work done is way down on her list of priorities.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
re : B&B
Bed and breakfast
Verified 01 janvier 2022 - Legal and Administrative Information Directorate (Prime Minister)

Offering a guest room means welcoming the guest, renting a furnished room with access to a bathroom and a toilet, and providing breakfast. It is a professional activity of a commercial or agricultural nature. It can be practised all year or at the season. It must be limited to 5 rooms and 15 guests at the same time. The renter must first declare himself in town hall, register and join the Social Security.

Capacity
The capacity is limited to 5 rooms and 15 clients at the same time.
Please note : if you wish to offer more than 5 rooms for rent or to accommodate more than 15 guests at the same time, this activity corresponds to the holding of a hotel or to the rental of rooms in the house. This requires compliance with establishments receiving public (LES) and accessibility rules for disabled people.
Compulsory benefits
The rental of a bed and breakfast must include the combined supply of one night's stay (including the supply of linen) and breakfast.
The reception must be provided by the rental company, who lives on the premises.
Cleaning of rooms and toilets is provided daily, at no extra charge.
Optional service: host table
The name host table indicates that the bed and breakfast rental company offers a meal offer. The table d'hôtes is not a restaurant. It is a service that complements the accommodation, reserved only for guests staying in the guest rooms. Meals are served at the family table. It must be made up of a single menu.
The host table is subject to a number of regulations. Among them:
  • Obligation to inform the consumer about prices (drinks included or not included, for example)
  • Compliance with hygiene and food safety rules (supply of drinking water, hygiene of surfaces and utensils, sanitary facilities for staff, ...)
If the renter offers alcoholic beverages for meals, he must have a restaurant licence or drinks debit. The sale of soft drinks is free.
House
The minimum surface of each room shall be 9 m² (excluding toilets), with a ceiling height of 2,20 m minimum. Generally, for commercial reasons, it is accepted that a room cannot be less than 12 m².
Each room must provide access (directly or indirectly) to a bathroom and toilet and comply with the hygiene, safety and health regulations.
FYI : the rate of the visitor's tax and the price of the services provided incidentally to the nights or stays must be displayed in the guest room.

Capacity
The capacity is limited to 5 rooms and 15 clients at the same time.
Please note : if you wish to offer more than 5 rooms for rent or to accommodate more than 15 guests at the same time, this activity corresponds to the holding of a hotel or to the rental of rooms in the house. This requires compliance with establishments receiving public (LES) and accessibility rules for disabled people.
Compulsory benefits
The rental of a bed and breakfast must include the combined supply of one night's stay (including the supply of linen) and breakfast.
The reception must be provided by the rental company, who lives on the premises.
Cleaning of rooms and toilets is provided daily, at no extra charge.
Optional service: host table
The name host table indicates that the bed and breakfast rental company offers a meal offer. The table d'hôtes is not a restaurant. It is a service that complements the accommodation, reserved only for guests staying in the guest rooms. Meals are served at the family table. It must be made up of a single menu.
The host table is subject to a number of regulations. Among them:
  • Obligation to inform the consumer about prices (drinks included or not included, for example)
  • Compliance with hygiene and food safety rules (supply of drinking water, hygiene of surfaces and utensils, sanitary facilities for staff, ...)
If the renter offers alcoholic beverages for meals, he must have a restaurant licence or drinks debit. The sale of soft drinks is free.
House
The minimum surface of each room shall be 9 m² (excluding toilets), with a ceiling height of 2,20 m minimum. Generally, for commercial reasons, it is accepted that a room cannot be less than 12 m².
Each room must provide access (directly or indirectly) to a bathroom and toilet and comply with the hygiene, safety and health regulations.
FYI : the rate of the visitor's tax and the price of the services provided incidentally to the nights or stays must be displayed in the guest room.

Price
The price is free, but must take into account the comfort of the room, the services offered and the tourist attraction of the region.

Bed and breakfast rental companies are subject to the same transparency requirements as hotels vis-à-vis their customers regarding price information.

Outside the hotel and close to the main entrance to the public

The following information shall be provided:

• Price of the next night in a double room, or maximum price for a night in a double room for a period including the next night (if these services are not marketed, price of the most popular accommodation service with its duration)
  • Whether or not breakfast is served (and whether or not the price of this service is included in the price of the night)
  • Whether or not there is an Internet connection in the rooms (and whether or not the price of this service is included in the price of the night)
  • How to access price information for all other marketed services
When the activity of guest houses is carried out in a normal way, it constitutes a commercial activity. Bed and breakfast rental must register at RCS.
He must also register with the CFE the Chamber of Commerce, including where the activity is carried out under the simplified micro-social scheme (or micro-entrepreneur regime).

Dana is no longer working in PôleEmploi (june 2008 for 13y 8m) > she's now a 'Professional training & Job consultant' in Châteauroux

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Very true, but they also would romanticize any old village in Europa. Woody Allen style.
@Espe ...You have stated this in a very polite way. I am becoming quite disappointed in his daily vlogs. He has become, to my mind, frantic and unlikeable . I don't like how he throws all the tools he is using, around, like he has no respect. I don't find the way he pushes his face in the camera respectful either. My take...can't speak for others, but sad and disappointed for one who I thought was a good vlogger. The drone shots, being at the chateau constantly....not the reason I became attached to his vlog in the first place. He has a lovely property, with potential, and I looked forward to him continuing to finish it He is all over the place....chef...gardener.....handy man etc. Lost sight of what is going on. Is it the nasty spell of the Shitolaine...??
both of you have articulated exactly how I have felt about Dan for quite some time. Not liking him much anymore, dont even give the thumbs up if I watch his volgs. sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I had a look at trip advisor, there are no reviews since 2019 on there.
I am amused by a few of the listed facilities.
Dog/pet friendly
Children's activities
And which room is the Bridal Suite

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Well thought out observations on the subscription gains of other YT channels vs CD.
I believe the attraction for we Tattlers at least is the same as being mesmerized by watching a train wreck in slow motion.
we know who and what she is. Same with teabag. I too came to stumble upon this forum because of teabags disgraceful rant…… fell in love with this group and stayed. Kindred spirits.
make no mistake, SJ will get hers soon enough, it’s just so much fun to watch it happening right before our eyes.
@lickitysplitchips

What are they ?
those things you put in boots or shoes to stretch them. they have a name which I cant remember in English.

Reactions: 12
Dan seems to be so ROUGH with things, he just chucks stuff down, I saw him with his new drone, just chucked the box around....... like he is made of money. Maybe he thinks its smart/cool who knows.
He's emulating Casey Neistat. I wish the gift grab looked more like this.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
There is neither rhyme nor reason how FRK imagines, even in her wildest dreams, she is skilled enough to hold a one-to-one tutorial, when compared to long-established, highly qualified businesses offering the same for less. Madness.
I mean she technically has maybe just above basic skills . She could teach beginners who have no experience and charge something like £300 for a shorter workshop. That's what I see at my local how-to workshops I see at locations that hold such things. What she charged is way too lofty for her floral background and experience! I would say what she charged is what someone well known or very experienced in the industry would charge.

Reactions: 20
It was eye opening how much Potty and Snorts have in common. Both of them are just enabling wimps who don't challenge her in any way. She likes her men pushovers.

...and therein lies the problem. she ‘is’ a strong woman...she can take criticism and it rolls off her back..she orders these guys around like a boss...and they do her bidding. unfortunately...not many strong women are physically attracted to submissive males. friendship is one thing...but having hot sex and respect for a guy is different and evokes a dynamic lacking from this type of guy.

...watching Potts prance around like he did was enlightening...would kill any lady buzz one may have...total turnoff...be like being with a chick...I could never get that swanning vision out of my head...

...SJ needs push back from a man...masculine energy...and she won’t get that from the types she chooses...

Reactions: 18
I was quite shocked by Fanny's financial reveal. Allow me to explain the shock, some years ago I had the pleasure of knowing a government solicitor. I remember him telling me, that when it comes to finances, "never put anything on paper". So, whether Fanny is being upfront or more likely spinning porky pies, she has put it on paper for all the world to see. One question I do have is, she said that only her Patreons see her financial statements, but surly this is a load of balls?

Is anyone else noticing this? Some are saying it is really stupid of her to disclose anything financial , but then she's dragged for not disclosing her financials. I couldn't find anything pertaining to french law about salary and expenditure disclosures with regards to charities/associations so legally I don't know. I'd imagine she has informed herself of these things considering how many questions she gets to disclose information??

Here in the US , charitiy top salaries and expenditures are disclosed. In Stephanie's case, her income comes from YouTube, not the Lalande L'association/Patreon . If a list of expenditures were to be legally required it would include the worker's salaries, but I imagine it could also only list the amount as the sum of all salaries, not individually .

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Chateau de Lalande is no longer the casual shabby, chic holiday party pad they once enjoyed. It’s still shabby, but Youtube has changed the chateau’s status for better or worse. So it’s time Fanny, and indeed Nic & Potty, step up & reconsider their approach to the chateau, to ensure the current business model & income stream is sustainable.

So, here’s a little something to help them set Chateau de la Lande's 2022 business objectives:

1. 263 vlogs – way too many & definitely quantity over quality. Maximum 150 vlogs per year comprised of:
  • 1 patron video + 1 CD video per week.
  • Monthly Q&A with patrons to update on projects & financials
  • 24 Advent vlogs which are shorter, better planned & more entertaining
  • 10 additional vlogs on special topics (ex: trip to an historic sight)
2. Stop Cadeaux in Q1
3. SJ resume responsibility for filming/editing/publishing vlogs
4. Terminate Videographer/Editor role. If Philip is deemed an employee, SJ has made this termination more challenging & potentially more costly by engaging in a personal relationship, but his employment status must end asap
5. Since Office Manager no longer needs to track Cadeaux, this frees up 50% of Natti’s time to focus on improved financial tracking/bookkeeping.
Obtain necessary training & accounting software as required.
6. Focus on & complete any 3 substantive renovation/restoration projects in a professional manner (ex: Grand Salon panels, chapel windows, terrace
stonework & steps)
7. If continuing on Chateau DIY, ensure projects are properly pre-planned & completed on time and to a high standard

Also, postpone starting a European travel vlog with Oli as it will only dilute much-needed time & attention from Chateau de La Lande.

This is such good advice. I'd like to send my Tartlet salary to you for your hard work! Does etransfer work? :)

to which I would add:

Create a proper office space, in which all paperwork is kept and filed for easy reference. Plans (architectural, garden, heating & plumbing, electrical, external water supply septic tank, etc) insurance policies, payroll into (!), Details of annual maintenance contracts (I'm getting carried away now!), etc, etc. Everything pertinent to the chateau, the Association, YouTube and the B&B/gite rental.

I know that there's a great move towards paper free and working exc!naively on the hoof via laptop or iphone/ipad/smart phone/tablet. However, there are some documents for which hard copy is necessary. And a proper filing system of invoices, bank statements, etc. for accounting purposes makes life so much easier for everybody, not least the the accountant and his/her sidekicks.

It is also more productive and "forces" one to concentrate if there is a designated office rather than perching at the kitchen table or the nearest available chair.

I do wonder if they have any understanding of GDPR in terms of the Patron info they hold . I was extremely glad to step aside from administering a charitable entity soon after data protection regs in the UK became beyond a nightmare.
yes! In spite of the great desire to move towards paper free, we have found that the accountants that audit our business still LOVE paper! We tried to go more paperless several years back but when they came for the annual audit we ended up having to print a lot of things out. Putting it on paper and keeping the paperwork for 7 years in case the government audits you is what has to be done in the accounting world I live in.

It's the other way around: she put the cupboard in the attic herself, because she only needed the bottom part in the kitchen back then. Nothing to discover in that attic, everything that is there is put there by SJ in the first place. When she took over the shittoo she was convinced the Nadaillac family would have left some kind of forgotten treasure, so she spend a lot of time searching without any luck. But since then she certainly knows about each and every piece of scrap wood that is stored in her attics.
This makes sense!! She/They removed all the tiles up there themselves to put downstairs .... so she knew exactly what all the former owners had left up there! She's such a liar. There's no way she and her mother didn't look for valuable treasures the moment they got access to that place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26
Haworth is so lucky just to be gifted with Marie's presence- she's a famous YouTuber in her mind, after all! (Sarcasm.)
Her vlogs had improved quite noticeably when she first arrived in Haworth and with Sarah's editing. She now seems to be regressing into her old ways, using repeated phrases as she did in the (un)Success Stories. She's constantly repeating "So, yeah, ...", etc., again and again and re-arranging her hair. That workshop was ridiculously priced and one day only began in the afternoon! Marie obviously thinks if she cries or moans, people will rescue her, I don't think she will ever grow up. People should stop enabling her and supplying her with free food and premises; there are more deserving causes in Yorkshire. I wouldn't be surprised if she hadn't registered her company or paid any tax.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I was more thinking of the house staff. 2 cleaners + 2 volunteers most of the time + 1 administrator (Nattie) + 1 vlog editor (PhiPhi) ... She's got the folie des grandeurs ! (Delusions of grandeur)

As for the garden...in its current state, I wonder how can 2 gardeners stay busy full time.

And does Lalande really need its own carpenter ? I mean really ??

Lalande Patrons are like their cash cows to me....
I actually do think a place as big as Lalande needs these. Minus the vlog editor of course 😂 I would not want to be the sole cleaner for such a large place with so many rooms. The volunteers could help but they are also needed to cook and help with other projects, if delegated properly, like how they helped Dan out. Dan seems to be doing alot more than just gardening , so the addition of a garden helper makes sense , mostly in the summer months. As far as Amaury's role, yeah, long term I don't think she has a strong argument to keep him on . For now, while the renovations and upkeep improvements are taking place ie Grand Salon, other room transformations , i won't say it doesn't make sense to have him there with his skills. But long term when it's just handyman maintenance type of jobs that are needed, then it won't be justifiable.
That's how I currently see things anyway .

Reactions: 8
Do watch your step darling you almost stepped on my aunt’s nephew’s grandma’s second cousin’s dead fathers grocery list- we must frame it!
When we bought our house, we had to throw out 9 cubic metres of paper, among other things the collected shopping lists of the previous owner. We didn't frame any of them........😉

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.