Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

NeverEnough

VIP Member
Ah thanks, not surprised at all. The idea the guardian is credible and not just another tabloid that creates click and sharebait stories is laughable.

Yeah but the Guardian uses long words so it must be really really authoritatve. And not at all just the Left Wing version of the Mail.

Reactions: 1

Lola123

VIP Member
Bullshit, good for people who can’t afford it but my god she doesn’t know what she’s doing at all! How will the make the money? The licence fee is the point!

Warpaint

VIP Member
They lost me when they scrapped BBC3 and started ruining BBC4. When you look at the BBC3 content on iplayer now it has gone very niche. BBC4 is just endless repeats these days. They used to have a really good Friday music night which is long gone now.

You might not agree with its news output, or question whether it’s truly impartial, or you might not watch or listen to any of its output but that’s your choice. You don’t have to pay the licence fee.
But if you want to watch all the other channels or get virgin or sky TV you have to have a licence fee because your TV is picking up the BBC. Whether you watch it or not you have to pay. I would happily turn it off and save the 12 quid if I could. But I want live TV. I only watch cbbies and EastEnders on it. It's not worth 12 to me.

We should always be allowed to choose what we pay for, I wouldn't be paying for netflix if I didn't watch it, so that should have been the same with the license, if I wanted to watch none bbc stuff on sky then I shouldn't have to pay the BBC anything but it never worked like that cause of the greed of the BBC

What gets me is my mate in America can watch BBC content completly free of charge but yet anyone in Britain would be fined for that

I can honestly see it going before it hits 2027, does any of the younger generation even watch BBC? Most of my cousins kids have grown up with streaming sites, even my neice I'll sit her down to YouTube, I'd much rather her watch little alphabet songs an number songs on that than let her watch the abomination that is peppa pig
I don't wanna nit pick but, Peppa pig is on channel 5, Netflix and prime. BBC pre school programs are actually pretty good and mostly quite educational.

I fucking hate bing though, bing can't get eaten by a fox.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I don't understand the licence fee. I thought everyone with a TV or radio had to pay for it. But more and more people are saying they dont pay it.

I do actually watch the BBC but if I could opt out I would. Id rather it just had ads and was free.

They should drop the licence fee, have a basic impartial news channel that's paid for through tax. The rest can just become a normal channel that's paid for through ads.

It should have been closed down after the whole Jimmy savile thing, they're a corrupt organisation.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
the expenses gravy train is disgraceful. No consideration for cost of travel, taxi’s, do’s, off site meeting, catering etc.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
The BBC has impartially guidelines which is fair enough but they should make everyone stick to it 100% or not have it all. But then I imagine for it to be impartial it would cease to exist really- looking at the points @Yel made above, ‘Fiona Bruce saying Stanley Johnson hitting his wife was a one off’ - surely that’s her opinion on the matter? Wouldn’t that be seen as not being impartial? Same as having an episode of David Attenborough’s new show only on iPlayer, surely David giving any sort of commentary on the planet would be his opinion? And therefore he couldn’t be impartial?
I don’t think they can have impartially like they’ve said because nearly everything, even minor, can be considered an opinion. Unless they say you can’t use social media or talk about X, Y, Z on social media but that would be silencing their talent.
I don’t know, it’s a tricky one.

Yel

Chatty Member
The problem in my view is not that Lineker opposed the legislation, that it his right, but more the language he chose to do it in.
This exactly, it's the language he used to oppose it not that he opposed it. If he opposed labour with similar language the result would be the same.

I keep hearing that he was critical of Qatar and got away with it so it's inconsistent. But he read a factual statement out about Qatar that the BBC signed off and was probably their own words with stuff like "it's been controversial" and "homosexually is illegal". Was like reading a summary from an encyclopaedia. In no way was it comparable. It would have been if he'd said Qatar was similar to 1930s Germany. Apples and pears.

George Agdgdgwngo

I don’t really like ITV, it’s full of trash shows and detective stuff. However even I can find something to watch on there and nothing for me on the BBC. What on earth are the beeb going to do when Attenborough retires, as he is the main draw for their big wildlife shows.

Agree hugely @WritersBlock. The BBC is not perfect, but pretty amazing...

The BBC isn't ONE Channel. It is:
9 National TV channels
6 Regional TV Channels
12 Local TV Channels
13 International TV Channels
11 National radio stations
Approx 40 regional radio stations
Plus the online provision

The BBC have nurtured and launched a supreme amount of talent in music, comedy, writing, journalism, acting, plus behind-the-scenes roles. The international reputation of the BBC is a massive credit to us as a nation. But one most of us do not realise, as we do not see or experience it. To attack the BBC in this fashion will only hurt the population of this country.

This current government do not like the way the BBC report current political events. And the only way they can stop it is to get rid of it.

It is a disgrace.
this goes to show the BBC has become too big and bloated.

it needs to cater to the core audience who pay for the fee, slim down on those pointless channels

thegirlscout

VIP Member

Scathing but true. The way he was treated with Radio 2 was horrible as well and he seems much happier on Greatest Hits Radio. They are losing so much talent with Dan Walker leaving in two weeks time for Channel 5 and others already gone like Andrew Marr who has his new radio programme. I suppose on the plus side BBC can lower their wage bill on talent by bringing in fresh new faces on much smaller salaries.
Talent and Dan Walker shouldn’t be in the same sentence 😉

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I don’t really like ITV, it’s full of trash shows and detective stuff. However even I can find something to watch on there and nothing for me on the BBC. What on earth are the beeb going to do when Attenborough retires, as he is the main draw for their big wildlife shows.

this goes to show the BBC has become too big and bloated.

it needs to cater to the core audience who pay for the fee, slim down on those pointless channels
I’m a fan of Attenbourgh but were all his older wildlife shows depressing?

Happy Lady

VIP Member
Gary is a good presenter, but he crossed the line and was dealt with. I disagree with other sports presenters who supported his action, and as such I also disagree that he's being allowed back next week.

As others have explained, some roles expect their employees to abide by their rules and if they don't then they are dealt with. I hope this doesn't open floodgates for others at the BBC to tweet about their political feelings.

George Agdgdgwngo

The BBC can fund itself with adverts. Too many celebrities on high wages, too many channels and radio stations, too many pointless daytime shows and not enough relevant content.

I hardly watch the BBC anymore, I gave up on Radio 4 when they got Brexit obsessed. I watch Netflix, Disney plus and Amazon prime than the BBC, ITV or any terrestrial stations

StephenTJackson

VIP Member

This thread from someone who used to work for BBC Compliance explains that Gary hasn't done wrong.

Also the big problem is how inconsistent the BBC have been with social media use and what is allowed to be posted.

Alan Sugar has regularly posted political tweets, normally attacking Labour and supporting the Tories, including this post someone refers to on twitter. Silence from the BBC.

Even if you can stretch social media policy being in breach by Gary, it is clear that the real issue is the inconsistency, any anti-Labour postings, silence, anti Tory postings, suddenly it's an issue.

And where are the free speech brigade now? Telling TV presenters to shut up and just talk about football presumably? But will also probably be happy to listen to TV personality Donald Trump.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
I don’t know if this is a cause or related but didn’t BBC move a lot of it’s production, including the news, up to Manchester? Could it be that those who were based in London previously didn’t want to move?