The advice thread for random problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any dog /puppy advice?

We just rehomed a 9 month old pug, she's settled in great so far, she is eating and toileting fine, great with my children, great out on the lead, but she seems to have some separation anxiety.
I know pugs are clingy anyway, but she's barking and crying just at us leaving the room, so we're worried about leaving her in the house alone.
Also the previous owners had her in bed with them which is a habit I would like to break, along with getting her to be confident when we leave the house. Any tips? Is this even possible?
You can definitely break the habit it just takes time, maybe leave the house for small bits at a time if it's possible, like 20 mins an then come back an see her an then gradually leave her longer an longer, also I'd say that if you sleep with a soft toy or blanket etc for a night or two just to get your scent on it then leave it with them it might work as a comfort for when you are out, I hope you can manage to get her settled

Reactions: 1
You can definitely break the habit it just takes time, maybe leave the house for small bits at a time if it's possible, like 20 mins an then come back an see her an then gradually leave her longer an longer, also I'd say that if you sleep with a soft toy or blanket etc for a night or two just to get your scent on it then leave it with them it might work as a comfort for when you are out, I hope you can manage to get her settled
Thank you for your reply, it was our first night with her last night so I was pretty overwhelmed (in a good way)
She slept all night in her own bed in our bedroom so that's a start. I don't mind her being in our bed but my husband has allergies so I don't want them to flare up.

Im leaving her for short bursts of time, but staying in the house for now, I'm not sure if she had separation anxiety before coming to us or if it's just developed from changing family. It is something I anticipated though, so I have done a little bit of reading about it.
It's kind of like having a baby though, reading doesn't prepare you much for the reality 😂

Thank you for your reply, it was our first night with her last night so I was pretty overwhelmed (in a good way)
She slept all night in her own bed in our bedroom so that's a start. I don't mind her being in our bed but my husband has allergies so I don't want them to flare up.

Im leaving her for short bursts of time, but staying in the house for now, I'm not sure if she had separation anxiety before coming to us or if it's just developed from changing family. It is something I anticipated though, so I have done a little bit of reading about it.
It's kind of like having a baby though, reading doesn't prepare you much for the reality 😂

Youtube is an excellent source for dog training.

It could be a change in family, sadly you can't communicate to them that they are here to stay, they just go by past experiences, when we got our rescue dog we had the same problem with him wanting to be beside us all the time, we wanted him to sleep downstairs but he just would not have it so we had his bed in our room then each night pulled it further an further out, after a while he was happy to lay in the hallway and sleep and that was fine by us, he also had a soft toy we got him the day we brought him home an I think that was a comfort to him as well, we would tuck it in with him at night lol

I hope your little pup settles, lol reading an reality can definitely be different

Someone crashed into me today and they’ve cracked my front bumper. I spoke to the insurers and have old damage at the side from a driver who didn’t stop and I think this driver also went over that damage because there were fresher looking scratches and those white scrape marks you get when a car scrapes your paintwork. The garage intermediary was basically accusing me of trying to get the old repair fixed when I kept emphasising that it’s primarily old but I think there’s additional damage and my main focus was the bumper anyway. I’m going to send over pictures but want to note that I expect an expert to examine the area with the old damage just in case.

Has anyone dealt with this? Feel like I’m being treated as in the wrong 😡 Sorry if a paint job hasn’t been top of my expense list the past two years.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Just wanted to ask if anyones sky is down! Mine has been down from about 11am , not sure if it’s local or national outage.

We just rehomed a 9 month old pug, she's settled in great so far, she is eating and toileting fine, great with my children, great out on the lead, but she seems to have some separation anxiety.
I know pugs are clingy anyway, but she's barking and crying just at us leaving the room, so we're worried about leaving her in the house alone.
Also the previous owners had her in bed with them which is a habit I would like to break, along with getting her to be confident when we leave the house. Any tips? Is this even possible?
For at least the first 2 weeks have someone stay with her all the time, once she’s completely settled and realises she is here to stay start by leaving for 5 mins, then 10 and so on. Don’t make a fuss when you leave or come back, if there’s multiple people in your house start out taking it in turns first until you all leave. Also look at a baby gate and keeping her in 1 room with toys and water and blankets that smell of you. We practiced this with our rescue pup and she is so so well behaved and fine to be left she just sleeps when we aren’t here.

I need to take the car to the BP garage to clean it and can’t see how you pay for the manual car wash.

Do you use coins? Pay inside? And can you use it 24hrs? There’s no info on their website that I can see, only the automatic one. I want to do it before work about 7am.
If anyone else is as clueless as me when it comes to car washes, I went to an esso garage in the end and lathered up the car 🤣 £1 for 2 mins 30 seconds and I kept putting pound coins in like it was an arcade game. Highly recommend, 10/10. Car is sparkling now.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Anyone got any tips or tricks for getting cheap travel like websites that give deals or best sites or times to book on?

Trying to get me an my folks down to london from Edinburgh to Euston but it's coming up as around £300 to £500 for trains, I'd probably prefer to train down as the airport isn't the easiest to get to an I cant do bus with travel sickness, need to walk about at least

It sounds like others have offered helpful solutions already, but just to add ... I find a radio to be fantastic for new (adopted) arrivals into our home (who are typically older animals).

I try to spend as much time with them as I can, but obviously need to go out occasionally without them, so will pop a radio on a talkback station, just so they can hear people chatting. Music might be okay too, but in my experience just general chatter works fantastically.

We had one precious dog who used to always get separation anxiety whenever my husband would travel to another city for work at the end of the weekend. He'd sulk and carry on - would eat his food and go to bed, but wouldn't even look at me. We got around that by getting my husband to record some things on a dictaphone recorder, which I would play back to him. It worked far better than I thought it would! I'd hide the dictaphone machine in various places and he thought it was a great game, trying to find his dad. He'd give up after a while.

It sounds like you've nailed the sleeping situation - often, so long as they can see you from where you are, that will keep them happy. I'd actually advise against having a rehomed dog in the bed anyway, as it could well turn on you (not trying to scare you, but dogs are unpredictable - I've even known of cuddly Labradors who've snapped suddenly snapped out of the blue).

Thanks everyone for the pup advice, we are on day 4 of having her here and she has fit in so well.

She just hates being left alone, I found out from the previous owner that she didn't have separation anxiety there but she did have another dog for company so that's probably a big change for her bless her 😔

When we are all in the kitchen having our meals she will just whine and bark because she can't see us.
We are a very long way off leaving her in the house alone and that makes me worried and a bit regretful because it's a limit on our freedom, however we all love her so much already and are willing to put the effort in to getting her fully settled.

Will leaving her to whine it out while we eat make her separation anxiety worse?
I considered doing shifts so someone is always with her but would that enable her and make the problem harder to train out?

I overthink so forgive me for all the questions. It's probably not as deep as I think it is. I'm just quite overwhelmed despite knowing what we were getting ourselves into 🤦‍♀️

• Sad
Thanks everyone for the pup advice, we are on day 4 of having her here and she has fit in so well.

She just hates being left alone, I found out from the previous owner that she didn't have separation anxiety there but she did have another dog for company so that's probably a big change for her bless her 😔

When we are all in the kitchen having our meals she will just whine and bark because she can't see us.
We are a very long way off leaving her in the house alone and that makes me worried and a bit regretful because it's a limit on our freedom, however we all love her so much already and are willing to put the effort in to getting her fully settled.

Will leaving her to whine it out while we eat make her separation anxiety worse?
I considered doing shifts so someone is always with her but would that enable her and make the problem harder to train out?

I overthink so forgive me for all the questions. It's probably not as deep as I think it is. I'm just quite overwhelmed despite knowing what we were getting ourselves into 🤦‍♀️
I've heard if you enable it then it becomes harder to break the habit for them, I know it will be hard but maybe just letting her whine it out will be better in the long run, just make sure there's plenty toys an comforts for her

Have you tried those boredom busters, the ones where you can put peanut butter inside? Maybe having those to keep her busy will take her mind off you not being there, you can get dog peanut butter from most pet shops now

I've heard if you enable it then it becomes harder to break the habit for them, I know it will be hard but maybe just letting her whine it out will be better in the long run, just make sure there's plenty toys an comforts for her

Have you tried those boredom busters, the ones where you can put peanut butter inside? Maybe having those to keep her busy will take her mind off you not being there, you can get dog peanut butter from most pet shops now
Thankyou, I have seen those boredom busters but haven't got her one yet, for now we are giving her certain toys and a bone from her previous owner at mealtimes when she's alone.
Another thing I am doing is randomly leaving the room for no reason, letting her whine for a minute and then when she pauses I go back to her. Hopefully she will link the quiet to my return?
I'm confident we will crack it, I've somehow managed to birth and raise 3 humans so a dog should be simple right?! 😂🤞

Anyone got any tips or tricks for getting cheap travel like websites that give deals or best sites or times to book on?

Trying to get me an my folks down to london from Edinburgh to Euston but it's coming up as around £300 to £500 for trains, I'd probably prefer to train down as the airport isn't the easiest to get to an I cant do bus with travel sickness, need to walk about at least
There are some train ticket websites where they split the fares (so you end up getting a few tickets per journey) which works out cheaper than one ticket from and to a destination. Google "split train tickets" and lots of websites come up.

Reactions: 2
Thankyou, I have seen those boredom busters but haven't got her one yet, for now we are giving her certain toys and a bone from her previous owner at mealtimes when she's alone.
Another thing I am doing is randomly leaving the room for no reason, letting her whine for a minute and then when she pauses I go back to her. Hopefully she will link the quiet to my return?
I'm confident we will crack it, I've somehow managed to birth and raise 3 humans so a dog should be simple right?! 😂🤞
It's never simple 😅 god mine ate the house apart, come in one day to find his nose white an wondering wtf had went on, went upstairs to find he had eaten the wall from the hall right into the room an I now had a large hole, but you know it passes, it really does, an he turned out to be the most amazing dog ever, it just took patience so you will get there eventually

There are some train ticket websites where they split the fares (so you end up getting a few tickets per journey) which works out cheaper than one ticket from and to a destination. Google "split train tickets" and lots of websites come up.
Thanks had never heard of that before, I'll look into that, it's insane how the government want you to use public transport then you see the prices of that

• Haha
The last two days I seem to have developed a really strong sense of smell, smells that don’t usually bother me have really been making me feel sick. My last period was only last week so can’t be pregnant, does anyone know what’s wrong? 🙁

The last two days I seem to have developed a really strong sense of smell, smells that don’t usually bother me have really been making me feel sick. My last period was only last week so can’t be pregnant, does anyone know what’s wrong? 🙁
I'd still do a pregnancy test to be sure x

MSE has a good guide on how to get cheaper train fares. Also look at getting a railcard which gives you discounts on train tickets for a whole year?

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Was your last period lighter than usual? Many women have a "breakthrough bleed" in early pregnancy, which they often mistake for their period. Do a test to be sure!

MSE has a good guide on how to get cheaper train fares. Also look at getting a railcard which gives you discounts on train tickets for a whole year?

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Was your last period lighter than usual? Many women have a "breakthrough bleed" in early pregnancy, which they often mistake for their period. Do a test to be sure!
it wasn’t lighter but it only lasted 4 days where usually they can last 5-7 days. I will do a test to be sure thank you

I agree with the poster who said to get them a 'thinking' toy to mess about with whilst you eat.

Another thing I did (and still do to this day) with my dog was to not make a fuss when leaving, but making a big fuss when I came in. Leaving becomes no big deal then (but def start with short times before leaving them longer). I also have a dedicated coat for dog walking, and they really are clever enough to make an association, so she knows if I'm putting that on, she's coming out too.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.