The advice thread for random problems

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We were going be trying to stay as close to London Euston train station as we could, we can get a train from our town to there non stop an also I need to go to that station to get out to Watford for the shuttle bus for the Warner bros studios
You are a little far out if you stay around Euston. But you can walk to Oxford Street within 20-25 minutes, and then Soho, Covent Garden and Mayfair are another 15 minutes from there. In Euston you are also close to Angel, Kings Cross and Marylebone (all within 20 minutes walk). You may want to consider this depending on how mobile your parents are.

Reactions: 1
You are a little far out if you stay around Euston. But you can walk to Oxford Street within 20-25 minutes, and then Soho, Covent Garden and Mayfair are another 15 minutes from there. In Euston you are also close to Angel, Kings Cross and Marylebone (all within 20 minutes walk). You may want to consider this depending on how mobile your parents are.
Thanks, honestly my dad is OK at walking an my mums just lazy tbh lol so it maybe will do her some good to do some walking, it's only 3 days so just want to make the most of it, it's really expensive staying in london so I can't see me getting back soon

Thanks, honestly my dad is OK at walking an my mums just lazy tbh lol so it maybe will do her some good to do some walking, it's only 3 days so just want to make the most of it, it's really expensive staying in london so I can't see me getting back soon
You're welcome. Hope you have a lovely time!

Has anyone had soundwave therapy ( I think that is what it's called? I have a problem with one of my feet and it's creating all sorts of other problems due to not getting it sorted (it wasn't covid so it wasn't important) My Achilles heel is inflamed and calcifying and apparently nothing can be done via NHS due to it being left so long

I just wondered has anyone had this alt treatment done and did it help with your problem?
shockwave therapy? my husband is having this at the moment on his Achilles! He’s only had two sessions so far so I can’t comment but his physio is really really good and this treatment was recommended to him by a sports doctor (was a running injury) , so I think it does work for some people.

Sorry just reading back my answer that wasn’t actually very helpful! I can report back in a few weeks….

shockwave therapy? my husband is having this at the moment on his Achilles! He’s only had two sessions so far so I can’t comment but his physio is really really good and this treatment was recommended to him by a sports doctor (was a running injury) , so I think it does work for some people.

Sorry just reading back my answer that wasn’t actually very helpful! I can report back in a few weeks….
let me know how he gets on mine hasn't started yet. Hope it works for him that means there is hope for me

Reactions: 2
hi 😊 my sister just started dating someone and they hit it off really well. she was miserable at the end of her last relationship and it's so nice seeing her happy again. he seems like a lovely guy, smart, similar to her, very caring and treating her wonderfully. he did mention at the beginning he has some trust issues but i brushed that off thinking my sister will show him he has nothing to worry about. however, the last 2 days or so he's been giving me obsessive vibes, at least from what she's telling me. if she's going somewhere, he drives her there, visits her, and also picks her up. he gets angry when she talks to another guy etc (not angry at her but you know how it is), which she all thinks is sweet and sexy but from an outside point of view it's a bit much. just to note i'm extremely close to my sister and we tell each other everything. i don't want to keep my honest opinion from her but i also don't want to put a downer on her mood by telling her this. i could definitely also be wrong!! does anyone have any advice? thank you in advance! 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 6
hi 😊 my sister just started dating someone and they hit it off really well. she was miserable at the end of her last relationship and it's so nice seeing her happy again. he seems like a lovely guy, smart, similar to her, very caring and treating her wonderfully. he did mention at the beginning he has some trust issues but i brushed that off thinking my sister will show him he has nothing to worry about. however, the last 2 days or so he's been giving me obsessive vibes, at least from what she's telling me. if she's going somewhere, he drives her there, visits her, and also picks her up. he gets angry when she talks to another guy etc (not angry at her but you know how it is), which she all thinks is sweet and sexy but from an outside point of view it's a bit much. just to note i'm extremely close to my sister and we tell each other everything. i don't want to keep my honest opinion from her but i also don't want to put a downer on her mood by telling her this. i could definitely also be wrong!! does anyone have any advice? thank you in advance! 💕
I would say it would be better sooner than later for your sister to sit down an chat with him, just the two of them, the longer it's left the more it might end up going into stopping her from seeing friends an such, it's better he knows that although your sister like him there's going be times she will want some time alone with friends an he needs to understand that and that it's OK for people to do that, I get he has trust issues but it isn't good to keep letting those build up

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I would talk it over with her in a calm manner. Just explain your concerns, tell her you to want her to be happy, but at least voice your concerns.
Tell her you trust her judgement, but just make clear your own observations. Tact and Diplomacy are definitely required so she doesn't get angry or upset with you.
Good luck with it all, hope it works out.

• Heart
You definitely have to say something to her sooner rather than later. I don't want to scare or worry you, but this is exactly how a relative's relationship started, and he became extremely unhinged after a short period (by which time they'd got married as she was convinced he was the perfect man for her). It might start off as being flattering, but soon becomes very obsessive.

I'd suggest she puts the brakes on just slightly. She can make her own way to wherever she's going, for a start. Keeping her own set of friends (separate to the relationship) would also be a good idea.

My relative can't escape this bad marriage. She's filed the papers but he refuses to sign, and turns up at places he knows she will be at, just sitting in his car and watching. He has a restraining order but ignores it; she calls the police and they tell her they're too busy to attend. It's a bloody nightmare.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm overreacting. Perhaps if you can find out some information about his background that would help determine whether or not there is anything to be concerned about?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I would say it would be better sooner than later for your sister to sit down an chat with him, just the two of them, the longer it's left the more it might end up going into stopping her from seeing friends an such, it's better he knows that although your sister like him there's going be times she will want some time alone with friends an he needs to understand that and that it's OK for people to do that, I get he has trust issues but it isn't good to keep letting those build up
I would talk it over with her in a calm manner. Just explain your concerns, tell her you to want her to be happy, but at least voice your concerns. Tell her you trust her judgement, but just make clear your own observations. Tact and Diplomacy are definitely required so she doesn't get angry or upset with you. Good luck with it all, hope it works out.
You definitely have to say something to her sooner rather than later. I don't want to scare or worry you, but this is exactly how a relative's relationship started, and he became extremely unhinged after a short period (by which time they'd got married as she was convinced he was the perfect man for her). It might start off as being flattering, but soon becomes very obsessive. I'd suggest she puts the brakes on just slightly. She can make her own way to wherever she's going, for a start. Keeping her own set of friends (separate to the relationship) would also be a good idea. My relative can't escape this bad marriage. She's filed the papers but he refuses to sign, and turns up at places he knows she will be at, just sitting in his car and watching. He has a restraining order but ignores it; she calls the police and they tell her they're too busy to attend. It's a bloody nightmare. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm overreacting. Perhaps if you can find out some information about his background that would help determine whether or not there is anything to be concerned about?
thank you so much for responding and @1001 others i'm so sorry to hear your relative is going through something so traumatic! 💕 that's exactly what i want to avoid - these things can be flattering and exciting at the beginning but it can turn into an obsession. i just want to make sure i'm careful because i don't want her to feel like she can't tell me things. on checking his background - we live in a very small city where pretty much everyone knows everyone, although he is younger than me. we used to work in the same building, a very long time ago, and he was absolutely lovely. but in the meantime he's been in a relationship that's apparently scarred him. i'm seeing my sister tonight so i'll start by mentioning this casually i think!

• Heart
thank you so much for responding and @1001 others i'm so sorry to hear your relative is going through something so traumatic! 💕 that's exactly what i want to avoid - these things can be flattering and exciting at the beginning but it can turn into an obsession. i just want to make sure i'm careful because i don't want her to feel like she can't tell me things. on checking his background - we live in a very small city where pretty much everyone knows everyone, although he is younger than me. we used to work in the same building, a very long time ago, and he was absolutely lovely. but in the meantime he's been in a relationship that's apparently scarred him. i'm seeing my sister tonight so i'll start by mentioning this casually i think!
Unfortunately it's one of those things that they have to see for themselves as some people get quite defensive about it which I understand, my aunt had a clown of a partner for years an despite us constantly telling her he was no good she had to see it for herself, maybe ask her how she would feel if it was you and the guy an what she would tell you if she felt a guy you were dating was like this, somtimes they need to look at these things from a outsider's point of view to understand them more

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Unfortunately it's one of those things that they have to see for themselves as some people get quite defensive about it which I understand, my aunt had a clown of a partner for years an despite us constantly telling her he was no good she had to see it for herself, maybe ask her how she would feel if it was you and the guy an what she would tell you if she felt a guy you were dating was like this, somtimes they need to look at these things from a outsider's point of view to understand them more
This is so true ... some people might think their friends / family are being jealous by alerting them to it.

------------------

I am so, so cold. I think I'm coming down with something. Just helps to tell someone(s) in all honesty! It's (meant to be) summer here, although there's been a bit of a cold wind today (still sunny though). I took a bath - didn't help; put on a couple of layers; didn't help; cuddled with my dog; didn't help; had a cup of hot tea and some chicken soup with gluten-free garlic bread; didn't help ... I think it's time for an early night with the electric blanket turned on high.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
This is so true ... some people might think their friends / family are being jealous by alerting them to it.

------------------

I am so, so cold. I think I'm coming down with something. Just helps to tell someone(s) in all honesty! It's (meant to be) summer here, although there's been a bit of a cold wind today (still sunny though). I took a bath - didn't help; put on a couple of layers; didn't help; cuddled with my dog; didn't help; had a cup of hot tea and some chicken soup with gluten-free garlic bread; didn't help ... I think it's time for an early night with the electric blanket turned on high.
Yes! just before I get ill I always feel really cold. Feel better soon

• Heart
Hi, I don’t really know why I’m posting this I suppose I just want to know I’m not a terrible person even though I feel like I am.

I’ll cut a very long story short, I rent a house from my mother (with hindsight I should never have moved in) she’s done a lot of things over the years & last year it came to light she kept an inheritance that was due to me and because she was called out on it & can’t own up to her actions she said we have to move from the house we’ve been at for 10 years. We (husband & I) have a cat and a dog, our moving date is fast approaching and we have only been able to find a house that will accept our dog but not our cat, the landlord was very strict on the no cats when we viewed the house so it’s not going to possible to take him anyway and hide him. It’s fully carpeted and he is a scratcher so I know he would cause damage that we wouldn’t be able to hide as well. We aren’t in a position to buy a place either.
I know a wonderful charity who have said they will take him, he will go to a foster home until a suitable forever home can be found. I am totally devastated we will have to give him up I feel awful, I never ever thought I would have to give him up but it’s impossible to find a place that will accept him. I will miss him terribly and I feel like such a bad person having to give him up 😭

• Sad
  • Wow
Hi, I don’t really know why I’m posting this I suppose I just want to know I’m not a terrible person even though I feel like I am.

I’ll cut a very long story short, I rent a house from my mother (with hindsight I should never have moved in) she’s done a lot of things over the years & last year it came to light she kept an inheritance that was due to me and because she was called out on it & can’t own up to her actions she said we have to move from the house we’ve been at for 10 years. We (husband & I) have a cat and a dog, our moving date is fast approaching and we have only been able to find a house that will accept our dog but not our cat, the landlord was very strict on the no cats when we viewed the house so it’s not going to possible to take him anyway and hide him. It’s fully carpeted and he is a scratcher so I know he would cause damage that we wouldn’t be able to hide as well. We aren’t in a position to buy a place either.
I know a wonderful charity who have said they will take him, he will go to a foster home until a suitable forever home can be found. I am totally devastated we will have to give him up I feel awful, I never ever thought I would have to give him up but it’s impossible to find a place that will accept him. I will miss him terribly and I feel like such a bad person having to give him up 😭
Please don't feel bad. . Cats are pretty good at adapting. I have had a a few cats that needed rehoming due to owner circumstances and they always settle very nicely in my home. One of my cats has decided he doesn't like my kitten and has left home and moved to a house up the road I thought he loved me dearly but it was just surface love. 🤔
Cats are pretty odd things.

You have been lucky to find a place that accepted your dog. ❤

Have you been to the police about your mum?

Please don't feel bad. . Cats are pretty good at adapting. I have had a a few cats that needed rehoming due to owner circumstances and they always settle very nicely in my home. One of my cats has decided he doesn't like my kitten and has left home and moved to a house up the road I thought he loved me dearly but it was just surface love. 🤔

Thank you so much ❤ I’m going to speak with the lady from the charity tonight and hopefully we can find a new home for him to go to straight from ours rather going into foster first as we have 5 weeks before our move date.
I haven’t been to the police it’s not a great deal of money and it just wouldn’t be worth the stress she would bring. I really should have known better though, I would never have got our animals if I didn’t think it was going to be a forever home for us all 😔

• Sad

I can’t do it I can’t give him up, I’ve wrote a long email ready to send to the landlords once all the checks are completed asking if we can pay more to have him come with us, I’m going to say I didn’t mention it to them at the time as we knew it was likely we’d have to rehome him but I didn’t anticipate how difficult it would be. I really really hope they don’t completely back out of the tenancy once they read it but it’s a risk I’ve got to take. I need to know I exhausted all options.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I need to take the car to the BP garage to clean it and can’t see how you pay for the manual car wash.

Do you use coins? Pay inside? And can you use it 24hrs? There’s no info on their website that I can see, only the automatic one. I want to do it before work about 7am.

Does anyone have any dog /puppy advice?

We just rehomed a 9 month old pug, she's settled in great so far, she is eating and toileting fine, great with my children, great out on the lead, but she seems to have some separation anxiety.
I know pugs are clingy anyway, but she's barking and crying just at us leaving the room, so we're worried about leaving her in the house alone.
Also the previous owners had her in bed with them which is a habit I would like to break, along with getting her to be confident when we leave the house. Any tips? Is this even possible?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.