The advice thread for random problems #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks, I do try and do right by people! TBH, I don’t think an appeal will work. The council issuing it are pretty ferocious with these kind of non-endorsable traffic offences and if it’s not paid within 21 days, it goes up to £240 after 28 days. I think it’s probably best to just swallow it and move on unfortunately.
Oof that's quite the hefty fine. I just think if you can't undo it then move forwards in a way that you are comfortable with (financially and ethically). If you do offer half though I would 100% do it via e mail and not verbally. Being kind can bite you in the a too!.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
I didn’t know he hadn’t parked in the correct place at the time. It was only when he contacted me to say he’d been told by our fleet manager there was a PCN that I double checked and realised the bit he’d parked on isn’t our land.

It‘s all work related and I asked him to stop for a work related reason. Work will definitely not pay.
That’s terrible. Work should really be paying for this
 
A colleague has just emailed me to say he’s got a PCN for stopping outside a school. I was with him but not driving, but I’m feeling quite conflicted about it. I asked him to pull over for a specific reason and the area I asked him to pull onto is owned by the organisation we work for. Except unfortunately, he didn’t pull right in and was on a footpath next to the zig zags. I’m minded to offer him half the money as it was me who asked him to pull in. He’s only in his early 20s, on a low salary (mine’s not that much better!) and I know he’s just moved house with his girlfriend. Would others do this? I sort of feel it’s the right thing to do even though I wasn’t driving.
That's so kind of you to even think of offering. For me, it would depend on the reason you pulled over. Personal or work related? If work related, then they should pay. I guess the council must be hot on fines there to stop parents parking like idiots. The cynic in me though, thinks that he has emailed you with the expectation that you will pay, and that doesn't sit right.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I have inherited a home under an hour away from where I currently live. I would be mortgage free however it would mean moving my childs school. She is in year 6 and would be starting high school...am I going to ruin her life!?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I have inherited a home under an hour away from where I currently live. I would be mortgage free however it would mean moving my childs school. She is in year 6 and would be starting high school...am I going to ruin her life!?
What about selling the inherited house and buying in your current area?
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I have inherited a home under an hour away from where I currently live. I would be mortgage free however it would mean moving my childs school. She is in year 6 and would be starting high school...am I going to ruin her life!?
Depends on her an how she feels with her school tbh, my folks moved us an while it was the worst thing that happened to me (lost everyone an HATED the new school) it was one of the best things for my brother so he loved it

Talk with her an see how she feels, or if she's happy with the extra journey to stay at her school, my cousin takes a 40min train to his school (he's in a football team an needs to attend the school his club is at)
 
I have inherited a home under an hour away from where I currently live. I would be mortgage free however it would mean moving my childs school. She is in year 6 and would be starting high school...am I going to ruin her life!?
In my experience children make a whole new set of friends at high school anyway so don't worry ❤. I think the important question is which area has the better secondary schools?.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I have inherited a home under an hour away from where I currently live. I would be mortgage free however it would mean moving my childs school. She is in year 6 and would be starting high school...am I going to ruin her life!?
Could she stay with a friend or relative to finish shool? Alternatively how wpuld she feel about travelling that distance evey day, twice a day?
My suggestion would be to have a conversation with her. She might love to try a new school
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
What about selling the inherited house and buying in your current area?
I have thought about this however the houses where we currently live are alot more than the value of the inherited house. We currently live in a rented flat and live month to month as it is. It would mean having a bit of a mortgage when we have the opportunity to live rent free.

My daughter has sailed through school, good grades, nice friends, she is a sociable wee thing. I know when you move into secondary you make new friends but she would be starting from scratch.

Its tough, move be mortgage free and alot more comfortable. Stay, try and find a home where we could hopefully have a small mortgage but still probably live month to month but then kids would be more settled. Its so difficult.
 
I have thought about this however the houses where we currently live are alot more than the value of the inherited house. We currently live in a rented flat and live month to month as it is. It would mean having a bit of a mortgage when we have the opportunity to live rent free.

My daughter has sailed through school, good grades, nice friends, she is a sociable wee thing. I know when you move into secondary you make new friends but she would be starting from scratch.

Its tough, move be mortgage free and alot more comfortable. Stay, try and find a home where we could hopefully have a small mortgage but still probably live month to month but then kids would be more settled. Its so difficult.
Move. Your daughter will make new friends.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
I would move to coincide with the new school year. But involve her in the discussion. shes old enough to grasp that you'll be financially better off and more space for you both. Maybe goi g to visit the schools and the house, and checking out the new amenities might help you both with the decision.

You never know what's around the corner. Having the stability of a roof over your head you own outright is priceless.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6
I have thought about this however the houses where we currently live are alot more than the value of the inherited house. We currently live in a rented flat and live month to month as it is. It would mean having a bit of a mortgage when we have the opportunity to live rent free.

My daughter has sailed through school, good grades, nice friends, she is a sociable wee thing. I know when you move into secondary you make new friends but she would be starting from scratch.

Its tough, move be mortgage free and alot more comfortable. Stay, try and find a home where we could hopefully have a small mortgage but still probably live month to month but then kids would be more settled. Its so difficult.
What about work/commute for you, how would that change? I'd take your daughter and see the area and the house, check it out to see whether you can imagine living there and what schools might be available, same for other things she might do as hobbies/clubs. I'd be open about the the financial implications to the extend that it would allow you to live mortgage-free but also emphasize that this isn't the only thing in the equation, but that this is something with longer-term implications and she therefore also has a voice at the table. Definitely not an easy decision.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I have thought about this however the houses where we currently live are alot more than the value of the inherited house. We currently live in a rented flat and live month to month as it is. It would mean having a bit of a mortgage when we have the opportunity to live rent free.

My daughter has sailed through school, good grades, nice friends, she is a sociable wee thing. I know when you move into secondary you make new friends but she would be starting from scratch.

Its tough, move be mortgage free and alot more comfortable. Stay, try and find a home where we could hopefully have a small mortgage but still probably live month to month but then kids would be more settled. Its so difficult.
It's a tricky one, but being rent and mortgage free is a big deal and you and your girl will be able to use that money for all sorts of opportunities.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I have thought about this however the houses where we currently live are alot more than the value of the inherited house. We currently live in a rented flat and live month to month as it is. It would mean having a bit of a mortgage when we have the opportunity to live rent free.

My daughter has sailed through school, good grades, nice friends, she is a sociable wee thing. I know when you move into secondary you make new friends but she would be starting from scratch.

Its tough, move be mortgage free and alot more comfortable. Stay, try and find a home where we could hopefully have a small mortgage but still probably live month to month but then kids would be more settled. Its so difficult.
I'd probably move anywhere to be mortgage free. That extra money each month you can give your daughter more opportunities with it. If she's just starting secondary school I think that's the perfect time to move, she'd be making new friends anyway as you said but other kids will be in the same situation, not knowing anyone at the school. I remember one of my best friends from primary school moved to a different secondary school to everyone else in our year 6 class so I'm sure others will be in that situation.
Savings probably hundreds of pounds a month on rent? You'd could save that money quickly and then move if you wanted but be in a better place than if you just bought straight away with the money from the house and a mortgage. It's also a bad time to sell right now and mortgage rates are high so not to have to worry about that would be nice
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I'll also add one of my other best friends at the end of year 6 moved to the other end of the country and has had way more opportunities than if she'd have stayed
 
I think you should stay at the inheritance house for a few days to get a better feel of the area .
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3