The advice thread for random problems #7

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i have contacted the council they told me it was private.
If they are stating it's private ask them for the landowner details, if they can't give them then they are fobbing you off because they can't be assed (which is typical of all councils)
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
I would keep reporting to the police. Tell them as a wheelchair user you are being pushed into the road. Blocking the pavement is a crime. I'd also scatter birdseed on the cars, or wet Frosties. Entirely legal.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I would keep reporting to the police. Tell them as a wheelchair user you are being pushed into the road. Blocking the pavement is a crime. I'd also scatter birdseed on the cars, or wet Frosties. Entirely legal.
This is the info I want 👍
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
If they are stating it's private ask them for the landowner details, if they can't give them then they are fobbing you off because they can't be assed (which is typical of all councils)
Sorry, but this isn’t true. Not all council departments have access to landowner details and it’s not possible to call every single department to see if they have. Land Registry is the place to get land ownership info but if the land has recently changed hands then it may not be up to date. LR is very behind on updating its records.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
Just wondered what people would do about this....
A family memeber painted a nice picture for our first kid when they were born.
They are the sort of person that has an issue with everything. After a couple of issues the last few times we've met up at family gathering we don't talk anymore, a relief really after alot of unnecessary drama. One of the things they said was how my children's behaviour spoils their day. Both are neurodiverse, we have some challenges but nothing that I would say is massively out of the ordinary for any kids really.
I know they started a painting for my other kid but we've never been given it and I doubt we will now.
I don't know if I want to keep the first painting. It feels unfair on the second one and generally unfair on both of them to have it from someone who's been quite vocal about disliking us all. My husband says keep it because it's a nice painting but I don't know if my hearts in it.
What would you do in the same position?
If they were different then and it was given in love/kindness at the time (rather than some kind of manipulation/ showing off, great significance) then that’s what’s important to me, not the relationship now. Now it’s just a nice painting, the story doesn’t really matter.
I have gifts for ex boyfriends and estranged family because they’re just objects, nice ones i, they probably don’t even remember. A gift is simply that, “I like you, I’d like you to have this” in that moment. I can think of it fondly or with apathy even if the relationship is sour now because I can’t erase the good that was once there, if I did that I’d regret half the relationships and good memories in my life!

Regarding the younger child I can understand this is tricker but I’ve found the first get spoiled rotten and the second doesn’t get half as much. They won’t be equal in life, it’s impossible but the youngest will no doubt have things the oldest doesn’t have in future too, it’ll balance out.

If you can’t seperate the object from the person, which I would also understand, I like the idea of saving it and letting your child decide in future.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
Putting this behind a spoiler as it contains descriptions of a child in distress.

Last night, my husband and I stayed at a hotel. At around 00:40am, I heard loud crying, retching and coughing coming from another room on the corridor. I walked a little way down the corridor and established that the sounds were coming from a room a few doors away. As I got closer, it sounded like an older child or teenager who was crying, vomiting and generally distressed. I heard the child say something that sounded like “get off me”. It also sounded as though she was moving/running around the room while retching.

I was concerned by what I heard, so I told my husband and went to reception to ask them to carry out a welfare check. The receptionist told me that the occupants were a family of four (mum, dad and two children) staying across two rooms.

In the meantime, my husband knocked on the door to check that everything was okay. A girl answered the door who appeared to be approximately 14–16 years old and looked as though she had been crying. She said that she was just feeling “very ill”. My husband asked whether she needed anything, and she said no.

No adult came to the door or spoke to my husband from inside the room. Subsequently, a member of hotel reception went upstairs to check on the family, and everything was quiet afterwards.

I appreciate that there may be a completely innocent explanation for what we heard, but the combination of the child’s distress and what sounded like her saying “get off me” concerned me, and I felt it was better to pass the information on rather than ignore it.

Did i do the right thing? I’m such an overthinker and now i’m worrying thinking i shouldn’t have said anything but it just didn’t sit right. I guess i’d rather report it and it be nothing that not say anything at all? X
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Putting this behind a spoiler as it contains descriptions of a child in distress.

Last night, my husband and I stayed at a hotel. At around 00:40am, I heard loud crying, retching and coughing coming from another room on the corridor. I walked a little way down the corridor and established that the sounds were coming from a room a few doors away. As I got closer, it sounded like an older child or teenager who was crying, vomiting and generally distressed. I heard the child say something that sounded like “get off me”. It also sounded as though she was moving/running around the room while retching.

I was concerned by what I heard, so I told my husband and went to reception to ask them to carry out a welfare check. The receptionist told me that the occupants were a family of four (mum, dad and two children) staying across two rooms.

In the meantime, my husband knocked on the door to check that everything was okay. A girl answered the door who appeared to be approximately 14–16 years old and looked as though she had been crying. She said that she was just feeling “very ill”. My husband asked whether she needed anything, and she said no.

No adult came to the door or spoke to my husband from inside the room. Subsequently, a member of hotel reception went upstairs to check on the family, and everything was quiet afterwards.

I appreciate that there may be a completely innocent explanation for what we heard, but the combination of the child’s distress and what sounded like her saying “get off me” concerned me, and I felt it was better to pass the information on rather than ignore it.

Did i do the right thing? I’m such an overthinker and now i’m worrying thinking i shouldn’t have said anything but it just didn’t sit right. I guess i’d rather report it and it be nothing that not say anything at all? X
I wouldn’t give it another thought, you did what you did thought was right in the moment and it came from a good place. You made sure she was ok and the staff checked on them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 11
Putting this behind a spoiler as it contains descriptions of a child in distress.

Last night, my husband and I stayed at a hotel. At around 00:40am, I heard loud crying, retching and coughing coming from another room on the corridor. I walked a little way down the corridor and established that the sounds were coming from a room a few doors away. As I got closer, it sounded like an older child or teenager who was crying, vomiting and generally distressed. I heard the child say something that sounded like “get off me”. It also sounded as though she was moving/running around the room while retching.

I was concerned by what I heard, so I told my husband and went to reception to ask them to carry out a welfare check. The receptionist told me that the occupants were a family of four (mum, dad and two children) staying across two rooms.

In the meantime, my husband knocked on the door to check that everything was okay. A girl answered the door who appeared to be approximately 14–16 years old and looked as though she had been crying. She said that she was just feeling “very ill”. My husband asked whether she needed anything, and she said no.

No adult came to the door or spoke to my husband from inside the room. Subsequently, a member of hotel reception went upstairs to check on the family, and everything was quiet afterwards.

I appreciate that there may be a completely innocent explanation for what we heard, but the combination of the child’s distress and what sounded like her saying “get off me” concerned me, and I felt it was better to pass the information on rather than ignore it.

Did i do the right thing? I’m such an overthinker and now i’m worrying thinking i shouldn’t have said anything but it just didn’t sit right. I guess i’d rather report it and it be nothing that not say anything at all? X
Rather report something and be wrong than find out later someone was grape/murdered/abused and you did nothing
 
  • Like
Reactions: 11
Anyone remortgaged recently?
Did you go for 2/3/5 year fixed? The rates aren't much different, 3 year is best slightly, then 5 then 2.
I'm leaning towards 3 years as analysts seem to predict rates will drop more 2029-2030 and if I did 2 years I'd be due to remortgage again early 2029 so doesn't give much time to drop if they are expected to drop 2029-2030.
My next remortgage is I did 2/3 year fix would with be 7months before/after the latest date for the next UK election. So a friend said to go for 2 years so I can remortgage again before. Although I've read that it's often worse in the period just before an election.
I've had chatgpt show me the last 3/4 elections and that seems true as it was slightly higher before the elections than after. And I've read that 7months after the election allows the new government to have settled in and release their first budget which should start to settle rates.
I was thinking for a while to just do 5 years so I have the security of knowing what I have to pay