The advice thread for random problems #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does he have a HR he could report to or higher management not within his workplace? Or tbh he’d be within his rights to call the police with random people turning up at his home address which he’s not given permission to or consented to his address being given out
Am not sure if there's higher management as it's not a care home that's a part of any health service, it's a private home, I'll check an see if there's anything higher but I assume it's been near the top that's handed out the address as employees files are usually kept by the higher ups, he's never giving out the address because he's said many times he doesn't want staff knowing where the house is, so it will only have been on his file

Am not sure if there's higher management as it's not a care home that's a part of any health service, it's a private home, I'll check an see if there's anything higher but I assume it's been near the top that's handed out the address as employees files are usually kept by the higher ups, he's never giving out the address because he's said many times he doesn't want staff knowing where the house is, so it will only have been on his file
Breach of GDPR is reported to the ICO. I would write to the director of the care home and explain that handing out private data falls foul of UK GDPR and unless something is done immediately to stop your dad being harassed on his days off you will report them to the information commissioner’s office - but also warn them that they must train their staff correctly so that people understand that they can’t hand out someone’s bloody address willy nilly. Bunch of wankers.

Reactions: 3
I did have a few words with the guy at the door but really it wasn't his fault, he probably had no choice as they are quite the bullies, so unfortunately he got the brunt of my anger, I am hoping he went back to them about what I said but now am left with the knowledge that random staff know where the house is
This would infuriate me too. Privacy invaded massively. Management need to know it’s not acceptable.

Reactions: 2
Breach of GDPR is reported to the ICO. I would write to the director of the care home and explain that handing out private data falls foul of UK GDPR and unless something is done immediately to stop your dad being harassed on his days off you will report them to the information commissioner’s office - but also warn them that they must train their staff correctly so that people understand that they can’t hand out someone’s bloody address willy nilly. Bunch of wankers.
Thanks, I'll look them up an try an get a formal letter sent to them, I honest to god hope they haven't been giving out residents addresses either, there's many in there with partners still living at home that may be vulnerable, I'd be sickened to know that staff were showing up to their homes to ask for money or something, not everyone these days are honest people

Thanks, I'll look them up an try an get a formal letter sent to them, I honest to god hope they haven't been giving out residents addresses either, there's many in there with partners still living at home that may be vulnerable, I'd be sickened to know that staff were showing up to their homes to ask for money or something, not everyone these days are honest people
If the ICO are made aware of poor GDPR compliance they’re not going to look very favourably on them. They can issue huge fines which are made public and create reputational damage.

If the ICO are made aware of poor GDPR compliance they’re not going to look very favourably on them. They can issue huge fines which are made public and create reputational damage.
Honestly the home has a absolute shocking reputation as it is, if this is the final straw then hopefully someone better will take it on an the residents will get a more deserving care than what they get right now

• Heart
Honestly the home has a absolute shocking reputation as it is, if this is the final straw then hopefully someone better will take it on an the residents will get a more deserving care than what they get right now
That’s so sad. I don’t understand how these homes always end up so poorly run. But do threaten them with being reported to the ICO. It should wake them up with regards to data privacy at the very least.

That’s so sad. I don’t understand how these homes always end up so poorly run. But do threaten them with being reported to the ICO. It should wake them up with regards to data privacy at the very least.
I’m so shocked by this story!!! I wouldn’t even bother threatening them I’d just go ahead & report and I’d let them know you’ve made a police report for harassment too.

Snippy is your family in the position for dad to leave his role? I know it sounds idealistic but I’d be gunning to get him out of there or put him on sick leave.

I can’t even explain the rage that would course through me if a colleague showed up at my house like that.

Thanks, I will definitely look into them an I agree, the story's he comes home an tells me honestly just saddens me, the money they pay as well

I’m so shocked by this story!!! I wouldn’t even bother threatening them I’d just go ahead & report and I’d let them know you’ve made a police report for harassment too.

Snippy is your family in the position for dad to leave his role? I know it sounds idealistic but I’d be gunning to get him out of there or put him on sick leave.

I can’t even explain the rage that would course through me if a colleague showed up at my house like that.
Honestly he is, he's actually retirement age but the cost of living has him stressed plus he's never known what it's like not to work, we have all tried absolutely everything to convince him to just retire an he won't, we got him a greenhouse in the hopes it would give him something to focus on, I've even tried to talk him into me helping him do a little cooking vlog (he's 50+ years in the food industry an has been a executive chef on oil rigs) but he wasn't for that either, tried to talk him into cooking meals an selling them locally an he's just like nope, it's just causing us to stress out now because we are being involved in this with them trying to get our mobile numbers an now showing up to the house

Reactions: 1
Thanks, I will definitely look into them an I agree, the story's he comes home an tells me honestly just saddens me, the money they pay as well

Honestly he is, he's actually retirement age but the cost of living has him stressed plus he's never known what it's like not to work, we have all tried absolutely everything to convince him to just retire an he won't, we got him a greenhouse in the hopes it would give him something to focus on, I've even tried to talk him into me helping him do a little cooking vlog (he's 50+ years in the food industry an has been a executive chef on oil rigs) but he wasn't for that either, tried to talk him into cooking meals an selling them locally an he's just like nope, it's just causing us to stress out now because we are being involved in this with them trying to get our mobile numbers an now showing up to the house
My nan was the same. She lost her husband and didn’t want to retire as all she knew was working and didn’t want to be alone. We found an age uk group here and it’s changed her life. She volunteered for elderly coffee mornings and goes to the hall twice a week to chat to elderly people needing someone to talk to, makes them a coffee etc maybe your dad would consider something like that if he likes the care industry but needs out of the home because of the poor treatment they’re giving him at work

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My nan was the same. She lost her husband and didn’t want to retire as all she knew was working and didn’t want to be alone. We found an age uk group here and it’s changed her life. She volunteered for elderly coffee mornings and goes to the hall twice a week to chat to elderly people needing someone to talk to, makes them a coffee etc maybe your dad would consider something like that if he likes the care industry but needs out of the home because of the poor treatment they’re giving him at work
That's so sweet am glad she found something, I think it's just their generation, they feel like they need to stay in work because it's all they have known, I mean I absolutely love my job it's amazing but if someone said do you want to retire then am not going say no 😅 I will try again an see if I can talk him into something similar, it really would do him good to get out of there, am happy your nan has a lovely little volunteer job

Guys I feel so sad and I’m not sure what to do. I haven’t really been myself the last few weeks due to various things I’ve got going on health wise/personal life wise so I’ve not been my best self but this last week ar work we’ve been really overwhelmed and there’s been more agency workers than full time staff. I was a bit snappy at one of the agency workers but I realised I was out of pocket and apologised straight away. They told me they feel like I’ve been picking on them for the last week and it’s been hurting their feelings as I’ve been ‘targeting them’. Maybe I’m overthinking but it’s really playing on my mind and making me feel guilty. I’ve told them it wasn’t the case as I have no issue with them personally which is true I’ve just been a bit more tense lately however I always try and be kind. I just feel really really guilty and don’t know what to do.

• Sad
Guys I feel so sad and I’m not sure what to do. I haven’t really been myself the last few weeks due to various things I’ve got going on health wise/personal life wise so I’ve not been my best self but this last week ar work we’ve been really overwhelmed and there’s been more agency workers than full time staff. I was a bit snappy at one of the agency workers but I realised I was out of pocket and apologised straight away. They told me they feel like I’ve been picking on them for the last week and it’s been hurting their feelings as I’ve been ‘targeting them’. Maybe I’m overthinking but it’s really playing on my mind and making me feel guilty. I’ve told them it wasn’t the case as I have no issue with them personally which is true I’ve just been a bit more tense lately however I always try and be kind. I just feel really really guilty and don’t know what to do.
You've recognised your behaviour and you've apologised, there's nothing more you can do.
Maybe seek some support for what's going on in your personal life though?

• Heart
It sounds like the weight of whatever you have going on personally is affecting even your approach to the issue with the agency worker. I’m sure most of us would apologise, maybe give an explanation/context, and then chalk it up to just a bad week….not beat ourselves up about it! Is there a resolution ahead with your personal stuff or is it going to run and run? Is it something you can loop a manager in on to get some support (or get cut some slack) at work?

For the agency worker I don’t think there’s any more to do. You’ve apologised and assured them it’s nothing personal/wasn’t intentional - the only thing to be mindful of is that your approach to them improves now. If it doesn’t, it becomes a more sticky situation. Try not to beat yourself and try to figure out a path if you can.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.