Taylor Swift #2 Look What You Made Her Do (Taylor’s Version)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No! That was like a get ready for what’s to come with the way she went in on Jake. There has to be similar levels of character assassination, she was very similar ages when the relationships happened and they were both much older than her.

No! That was like a get ready for what’s to come with the way she went in on Jake. There has to be similar levels of character assassination, she was very similar ages when the relationships happened and they were both much older than her.
Duh, yes, sorry. Blonde moment.

Oh boy, yesterday was a rollercoaster of emotions. I listened to the album in order and wrapping it with ATW10 was incredible. “Just between us did the love affair maim you” followed by the outro kills me. A really good friend of mine never heard the song and liked it from a story that I uploaded on my insta yesterday. Now she’s obsessed with it too and cannot believe she’s been living under a rock this entire time. 🤣

Reactions: 4
Listened to Ronan when it came out originally and today.

that’s it now forever. Absolutely can’t do it again.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
'Cause I knew you
Steppin' on the last train
Marked me like a bloodstain
I knew you
Tried to change the ending
Peter losing Wendy
I knew you
Leavin' like a father
Running like water
And when you are young, they assume you know nothing

I'll never get over those lyrics
seriously though "you drew stars around my scars" is my favourite lyric i've ever heard.
it's so simple yet so powerful and beautiful. the bridge of cardigan is probably the best thing to ever bless my ears and it's only two lines.

i've been a massive taylor stan for like 13 (lol) years now but i wasnt THAT hyped for Red TV. how wrong i was. it's blown me away!!

i spent most of yesterday morning crying my eyes out to better man. i loved the big little town version, knowing taylor wrote it and it entirely sums up my feelings about my previous relationship. i had no idea it was going to be included on this album and it came as surprise as i heard the first lyric with taylor singing it i burst into tears!! 😂 it felt so much more personal to me and special coming from her. if i ever met taylor i would thank her so much for how she's helped me gather my thoughts and feelings and feel better through her song writing. she has truly always been there at my lowest and i know it sounds ridiculous because she's just a person writing songs but she's had such an impact on my life.
she feels like a big sister i never had and i've grown up with her. i'm literally tearing up now writing this i feel crazy 😂 but i can't be the only one who feels this connection with her??

Reactions: 2
I have so many thoughts !!! So many thoughts !!

I was a big Taylor fan in my late teens early twenties and Red is my favourite album , and all too well my favourite song ! I absolutely love the film , I think it is so clever ! I wasn’t keen on the poppy stuff 1989/reputation/lover but when folklore and evermore came out I rediscovered my love for her , she is an incredibly clever and talented lyricist , a smart businesswoman and I swear sometimes her songs are about my life !

The 10 minute version is amazing in my opinion , I just hate the duck the patriarchy line ! The one swear in the entire song and I just don’t think it’s been well used at all !

I really like the whole album , I need to give the vault tracks a relisten to choose my favourites but I really like the one with Ed Sheeran !

I have to say though that I think the new recording of Girl At Home is awful , didn’t think it was possible to make that song worse but she did , and I also don’t like the new WANEGBT very much 😬

Reactions: 3
Literally hollering along to Red right now.

LOVING HIM WAS REDDDD YEAHH YEAHH

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve been a Taylor fan for years. Her releasing red again makes me feel like I’m back in 2012 when I had a one direction obsession (still kinda do haha) and I was obsessed with Harry styles and Taylor. I think she’s absolutely incredible and the recording is simply stunning. At the time when she was going out with jake I guess I didn’t know how wrong it was but you really see know how badly he treated her. Thats all!

Reactions: 4
I’ve been a Taylor fan for years. Her releasing red again makes me feel like I’m back in 2012 when I had a one direction obsession (still kinda do haha) and I was obsessed with Harry styles and Taylor. I think she’s absolutely incredible and the recording is simply stunning. At the time when she was going out with jake I guess I didn’t know how wrong it was but you really see know how badly he treated her. Thats all!
I'm jealous that you loved Harry and Taylor at the same time. I was Harry obsessed and riddled with that horrid 12 year old 'pick me' internalised misogyny when they were dating. Haylor was the worst thing to happen to me but now I'd die if they got together (if Joe wasn't a thing ofc, I'm happy that she's happy).

I know someone else said it upthread, but the lucky one really does hit differently now, doesn't it? found myself shedding a lil tear earlier and it's never done that to me before! 😭

Reactions: 6
Thoughts—
— Better Man and Nothin New are some of her best work and should’ve made the album, at the very least as bonus tracks. Crazy that both of those sat untouched for years. I can see how she felt she had to choose between Nothin New and The Lucky One… and I see why TLO won out, but NN is a fantastic song, not even great but overall just hard to beat in her portfolio… can’t believe we got songs like The Moment I Knew and Girl at Home instead!

— Very First Night/Message in a Bottle are good, cute, and catchy, but once you listen a few times, you hear their weakness and she was right to scrap them IMO. Even now I can’t see myself listening to them much. To me they are classic Taylor ‘extras’, she can write these quick little pop-py songs they can’t hold their weight against what she can do at the height of her powers.

— Obviously unpopular opinion but ATW 10 minute version was not good… it’s obviously a draft from the middle of a songwriting process, that draft was worked on until they got the final track which is a great song and a deserved cult classic because she found a way to take all those rambling thoughts and emotions and make a strong and cohesive narrative (the song was already pretty long too) that sticks with you and has an emotional resonance and has that perfect climax at the bridge. 10 minute version is a bunch of random and contradictory thoughts that start to lose the listener— understandable as you work your way toward a song but not meant for a song. And some of the lines were nice for sure, but that’s what happens in writing, you cut some good along with the bad to get great.
NOW, I do still understand releasing it as a nod to the fans as it has becoming a mythology over the years. I get that. But the ~*~short film~*~ and making it your only SNL performance? There is so much else on Red to either rediscover or new tracks to put out… I don’t see why ATW 10 minute has become the centrepiece!

— As for the recorded songs… personally I am attached to the originals so not too interested in re-records, although I admit I will probably add the new Treacherous because it’s one of my favourite songs of all time and she does something a little different on this one. I am surprised actually that the re-records here deviate quite a bit more from the originals.

I can’t wait to watch ATW movie, but at the same time I’m scared too. When I was 18 I dated a 26yr old for an AWFUL 7 year excuse of an relationship and ATW just hits that bit harder!

The 10 minute version is amazing in my opinion , I just hate the duck the patriarchy line ! The one swear in the entire song and I just don’t think it’s been well used at all !
I totally agree, it feels really awkward and doesn’t flow very well. However I have to disagree with you as I love 1989 and reputation so much!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I think a lot of the new verses in ATW10 were either reworked or simply written for this. The style is too different, and there are some lyrics from ATW in the lover diaries and none of them are in the song.

I believe the ten minute version was probably her mumbling ideas of lyrics. But the song became a fan favorite and once she mentioned the ten minute demo everyone became obsessed with it. And once she had to re-record RED, she couldn't add vault tracks without the ten minute version.

It felt like the new lyrics were written with the short film in mind, like a soundtrack. Like she was looking back on the relationship 10 ish years later. Not like she wrote them at 19 or 20 years old.

Reactions: 9
I’m not a crier but TS what have you done to me? I balled my eyes out listening to the entire album today.

Reactions: 1
Which vault track is your favorite? Excluding ATW10.
For me it would be run I think. or the very first night.
this could change in one hour lol

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.