Tattoos

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hate them.

I realise it seems to be quite abnormal not to have a tattoo these days but I'm totally happy to be in that particular minority.

Reactions: 14
I have 6 from throughout different stages of my life. Do I like them all? No not now, however they represent the time and stage of my life I had them done. Bit like looking back to old hair styles etc only more permanent 🤣 I don’t regret a single one. When times get better I’ll be adding a couple more.

Reactions: 2
I got one, it was back in 1991, my girlfriend and I had matching tats... and yes I was young and stupid.
Back in those days it wasn't common for women to have tattoo's, mind you she was from Essex.... I was
very young and very stupid.

Reactions: 1
I’m what you would call a heavily tattooed female. I used to get lots of odd looks (still do when I go away on holiday to some places) but not so much in the uk now. I forget I have them now and when people point them out by saying ‘I like that one’ it takes me a moment to realise what they are talking about!

Reactions: 6
I really don’t like tattoos. I find it so awkward when someone gets a new one and everyone fawns over it. I don’t know how to react 😂

It’s very rare that I see a tattoo that is truly a gorgeous piece of art, even then I don’t like the idea of it being permanent on the skin. I don’t keep the same art or decor on my home forever so I don’t get it.

Tattoos don’t harm anyone though so people can do what the hell they like but personally I don’t find them attractive and I’d never get one.

I feel that not liking tattoos is such an unpopular opinion!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Some tattoos can be works of art, but the trouble is people don't want to stop at having one tattoo - I really do not understand the compulsion to have multiple tattoos.
In some cases, multiple tattoos are a form of self harm and inner turmoil. Justin Bieber, Amy Winehouse, Aaron Carter even David Beckham, are examples of celebrities who have ruined their appearence with ugly tattoos, because of inner turmoil.
This is another thing that I don't understand, why do attractive young people want to deface themselves with ugly tattoos?

Some tattoos can be works of art, but the trouble is people don't want to stop at having one tattoo - I really do not understand the compulsion to have multiple tattoos.
In some cases, multiple tattoos are a form of self harm and inner turmoil. Justin Bieber, Amy Winehouse, Aaron Carter even David Beckham, are examples of celebrities who have ruined their appearence with ugly tattoos, because of inner turmoil.
This is another thing that I don't understand, why do attractive young people want to deface themselves with ugly tattoos?
I guess some people may find it a way to express themselves. I know I do, I have 4 small tattoos and 1 big floral piece on my arm. Infect the floral piece and my 2 able pieces actually mean something to me, so its a nice reminder for me when I see them. However I know some people just get them because they want it & that’s also okay!

There’s so many different reasons why & also just because the tattoo is ugly in your eyes, doesn’t mean it is for them. It could be their favourite tattoo, it’s all down to personal preference and taste Tbf!

I think unless you have one or two, there can’t really be any comment on why people get them as it’s different for everyone!

Reactions: 3
I'm not a fan of tattoos and would never have one. I don't even like to see strap lines after sunbathing! I don't mind seeing them on others though, but I know most corporate organisations don't allow staff to have tattoos on show.

Reactions: 4
I'm not a fan of tattoos and would never have one. I don't even like to see strap lines after sunbathing! I don't mind seeing them on others though, but I know most corporate organisations don't allow staff to have tattoos on show.
In regards to tattoos on show in the work place, I think it all depends on the place of work and the role. Ultimately though, and I feel the same about clothing, if you’re good at the job then who cares.

Basically, I don’t really care. I just don’t find them attractive, much like I don’t fancy blonde men. Personal preference.

I don’t have any tattoos myself yet, I like them on other people like my other half is covered in them but I’ve always found that some people find that quite perplexing.

One of my friends for example made a comment about another couple once (she fancied the guy but he had a girlfriend) and she made a comment about how the guy was so interesting looking cos of his tattoos but why was he with his girlfriend cos she didn’t have any and was a ‘plain Jane’. She was so baffled why he hadn’t left his girlfriend for her cos she has loads of tattoos like him. 😂🙈

since when did tattoos make you a certain type of person? His girlfriend was beautiful and he obviously has dozens of reasons why he loves her and is with her, the fact she’s not covered in ink has nothing to do with who you are as a person!

I think some people assume that having loads of tattoos in common makes you better suited or more attractive, as if it’s an unspoken rule! As if the mentality is:

Hi. Wow you have tattoos..I have tattoos...let’s not talk about our morals, values or interests, there’s no need, clearly we are made for each other. 😂😂

Reactions: 5
I think the tattoos in the workplace thing is quite outdated now, I know a lot of places take on people regardless as it could be classed as discrimination. However those with tattoos on there faces or hands etc may struggle more in some job areas! But overall they’re a lot more open to people with them

Reactions: 4
I don't agree with this at all. Where have you come up with tattoo'ing being a form of self harm and inner turmoil? and better yet, how do you know these celebrities have done it for those reasons? do/did you know them on a personal level?

Plus, it's your opinion that they've 'ruined their appearance' with 'ugly tattoos', but your opinion only - its very bold to make a statement like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I’ve got four and I hate two of them and really regret them. They weren’t thought out at all and I just got them on a whim

I’m 30 in a couple of months and really want to get one. I’ve wanted a nice little one for years but I’m scared if I have one I’ll get addicted and have to get covered in them 🤣
If you've wanted one for years and you're at a sensible age to make right decisions id say go for it ;)
I wanted one for so long but at the time was worried about the exact same thing or that it would 'tarnish my appearance' :rolleyes: (I was brought up in a strict catholic school)
I got my first one while living and working abroad when I was about 23 and It brought out another person in me who I was hiding behind the girl with the stiff upper lip 😂 never looked back!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
What might seem a ruined body to you might be beautiful to them. Why do you assume it’s inner turmoil. Comparing them to self harm is a reach and pretty offensive. This seems to come from the fact you personally don’t like them. I wouldn’t make sure bold statements off of something you’ve made up.
I am absolutely covered in tattoos, I’m happy, have a wonderful marriage and I’m a successful person. It’s something I am passionate about and I have spent thousands on them and I will continue to do so. I definitely respect they are not for everyone but I can’t stand people who psychoanalyse those who chose to have then, it’s rude.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I don't agree with this at all. Where have you come up with tattoo'ing being a form of self harm and inner turmoil? and better yet, how do you know these celebrities have done it for those reasons? do/did you know them on a personal level?

Plus, it's your opinion that they've 'ruined their appearance' with 'ugly tattoos', but your opinion only - its very bold to make a statement like that.
The celebrities that I have mentioned, have multiple tattoos, and heve well documented inner turmoil. David Beckham may not have much inner turmoil, but he has ruined his appearence with multiple tattoos. I have come to the conclusion, that excessive tattoos, are similar to women wearing too much make-up - it is like a protective barrier.

• Haha
  • Sad
The celebrities that I have mentioned, have multiple tattoos, and heve well documented inner turmoil. David Beckham may not have much inner turmoil, but he has ruined his appearence with multiple tattoos. I have come to the conclusion, that excessive tattoos, are similar to women wearing too much make-up - it is like a protective barrier.
well I guess that’sjust personal preference if you think he’s ruined his appearance! I’m sure other people may think the complete opposite 😅
Coming from a personal POV, I feel confident woth and without makeup, I only wear heavy makeup when I’m going on a night out etc. Mostly because I enjoy doing makeup and experimenting, I think this is the same for tattoos! As I said before it’s a persons way of expressing themselves not always a “barrier”

Reactions: 5
I have 5 tattoos (I don't know if that's excessive to you)
My brother is covered in them from the back of his neck though his torso. arms and hands.
My other sibling also has tattoos.
All of us have had an amazingly, loving upbringing. We're all very close, have great careers, healthy relationships and lifestyles, a great family life, very close to our parents etc etc...
do you feel our tattoos are a protective barrier? or do you think perhaps we just like to express ourselves through ink opposed to the way others may such as singing/dancing/acting/painting?