Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

TheRoyalHousekeeper

Some tattoos can be works of art, but the trouble is people don't want to stop at having one tattoo - I really do not understand the compulsion to have multiple tattoos.
In some cases, multiple tattoos are a form of self harm and inner turmoil. Justin Bieber, Amy Winehouse, Aaron Carter even David Beckham, are examples of celebrities who have ruined their appearence with ugly tattoos, because of inner turmoil.
This is another thing that I don't understand, why do attractive young people want to deface themselves with ugly tattoos?
I don't agree with this at all. Where have you come up with tattoo'ing being a form of self harm and inner turmoil? and better yet, how do you know these celebrities have done it for those reasons? do/did you know them on a personal level?

Plus, it's your opinion that they've 'ruined their appearance' with 'ugly tattoos', but your opinion only - its very bold to make a statement like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Be More Pacific

VIP Member
Hate them.

I realise it seems to be quite abnormal not to have a tattoo these days but I'm totally happy to be in that particular minority.

Reactions: 14

theghosttown

VIP Member
Some tattoos can be works of art, but the trouble is people don't want to stop at having one tattoo - I really do not understand the compulsion to have multiple tattoos.
In some cases, multiple tattoos are a form of self harm and inner turmoil. Justin Bieber, Amy Winehouse, Aaron Carter even David Beckham, are examples of celebrities who have ruined their appearence with ugly tattoos, because of inner turmoil.
This is another thing that I don't understand, why do attractive young people want to deface themselves with ugly tattoos?
What might seem a ruined body to you might be beautiful to them. Why do you assume it’s inner turmoil. Comparing them to self harm is a reach and pretty offensive. This seems to come from the fact you personally don’t like them. I wouldn’t make sure bold statements off of something you’ve made up.
I am absolutely covered in tattoos, I’m happy, have a wonderful marriage and I’m a successful person. It’s something I am passionate about and I have spent thousands on them and I will continue to do so. I definitely respect they are not for everyone but I can’t stand people who psychoanalyse those who chose to have then, it’s rude.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12

Gertrude

Chatty Member
Thank you for your responses!

My main worry was that I’d get bored of the design after a while. But I’ve liked the idea of this kind of design for so long now. Plus after this year, I’ve got much more of a ‘life’s too short’ kind of attitude towards things, I think I’d actually regret not getting it now.

The below is an example of the sort of thing I want, just with different flowers. It’ll be a mix of myself and my mum’s favourite wildflowers. I want to get it on my wrist and have it slightly wrapped around. I want it where I can look at it whenever I want, so don’t want it anywhere too hidden

CEDA0B01-B1B0-4700-9A72-2D48AA07E73B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

Whatever123

VIP Member
I really don’t like tattoos. I find it so awkward when someone gets a new one and everyone fawns over it. I don’t know how to react 😂

It’s very rare that I see a tattoo that is truly a gorgeous piece of art, even then I don’t like the idea of it being permanent on the skin. I don’t keep the same art or decor on my home forever so I don’t get it.

Tattoos don’t harm anyone though so people can do what the hell they like but personally I don’t find them attractive and I’d never get one.

I feel that not liking tattoos is such an unpopular opinion!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

DCICassieStuart

VIP Member
Another reason why I shied away from having a tatt is that it might cause issues should I ever have an MRI scan. The NHS website suggests most tatts are perfectly safe, but you should tell the radiographer prior or during the scan if any ill-effects happen during the scan.
I think it's moreso for a recent tattoo (a bit like giving blood, but for different reasons) I had an MRI at the start of this year. I have a tattoo on my foot and declared that on the form I had to fill in. They asked me how long I've had it and when I said about 5 years that was no problem.

I will get more. I had two more script ones planned, but then came the fun that's been 2020, so will wait until we're back to some sort of normality again.
Definitely do your homework before you get it done as regards tattooists etc. Ask people who have them who they recommend. Don't be afraid to shop around. My cousin is tattooed head to toe so he gave me good advice on who to go to and more to the point who to avoid.
Also be wary of any that seem to be 'a bargain'. You definitely get what you pay for with tattoos. There's a saying "A good tattoo isn't cheap, a cheap tattoo isn't good". It's very true.

Reactions: 8

Charlie Farlie

VIP Member
I have several tattoos and they all have their own story for me. I don’t regret any of them I must say.

I got a pair of wings with only God can judge me after I got divorced! My Ex spent several years degrading and humiliating me & I got this tattoo when I realised he had no control over me.

My most recent was when I lost my dad & I have this on my wrist for him. It says “tu me manques” which is french for “You are missing from me.”

You always have to do what fits you & is your Life Story. 😃 Hope that helps.

• Heart

theghosttown

VIP Member
The celebrities that I have mentioned, have multiple tattoos, and heve well documented inner turmoil. David Beckham may not have much inner turmoil, but he has ruined his appearence with multiple tattoos. I have come to the conclusion, that excessive tattoos, are similar to women wearing too much make-up - it is like a protective barrier.
Don’t quit your day job. You are sooooooooooo off the mark. As someone who wears a lot of make up and is covered in tattoos I do it because it brings me pleasure. No more, no less.

Mulholland Drive

VIP Member
Have been tempted, especially during my undergrad years, but have always resisted.

I always think they are a novelty value - all very well to have for the first few weeks, and then get forgotten about, and just remain as a "stain" on my body.

But whatever floats your boat really (although I do believe you have to be careful should you ever need an MRI scan)

• Wow
  • Haha

Catfan2

Chatty Member
I hate them but then I’m old and when I was younger it wasn’t a thing, especially for girls. But it’s your body, your choice 😊

Reactions: 7

Platypusfattypus

VIP Member
😂 Thank you for the armchair psychoanalysis.

I do love a man covered in good tattoos. I find them more attractive then men without but a man with naff tattoos is the worst

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
I don't agree with this at all. Where have you come up with tattoo'ing being a form of self harm and inner turmoil? and better yet, how do you know these celebrities have done it for those reasons? do/did you know them on a personal level?

Plus, it's your opinion that they've 'ruined their appearance' with 'ugly tattoos', but your opinion only - its very bold to make a statement like that.
The celebrities that I have mentioned, have multiple tattoos, and heve well documented inner turmoil. David Beckham may not have much inner turmoil, but he has ruined his appearence with multiple tattoos. I have come to the conclusion, that excessive tattoos, are similar to women wearing too much make-up - it is like a protective barrier.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member

Allthevest20

VIP Member
I have two. One random one on my foot that was a mid 20s/only thing I could rebel against my Mum with as she was so laid back but was a no to tattoos lol .... And then because of Mum.... when she passed away I had a little yellow rose (her flower) on the top of my back with an eternity loop stem and her handwriting incorporated into the stem too (rebellion!) Lol. I forget it's there until I happen to see it in a mirror lol no desire to get more mind. I didn't find that either hurt. Just sat there scrolling through my phone

• Heart

TheRoyalHousekeeper

I have 5 tattoos (I don't know if that's excessive to you)
My brother is covered in them from the back of his neck though his torso. arms and hands.
My other sibling also has tattoos.
All of us have had an amazingly, loving upbringing. We're all very close, have great careers, healthy relationships and lifestyles, a great family life, very close to our parents etc etc...
do you feel our tattoos are a protective barrier? or do you think perhaps we just like to express ourselves through ink opposed to the way others may such as singing/dancing/acting/painting?

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I have one on my shoulder. Never regretted it. It’s pretty faded now and could do with recolouring.