Tattle In The Press

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So glad somebody with a blue tick is kicking back against this utter bollocks.

Also I’m not suggesting I’ve never been a prick but actually no, we are not all one tweet away from being cancelled. You could go through most people’s socials back to the early 00s or whenever MySpace was and no, you probably won’t find something so bad it would end a career.
I know for a fact that I've said things which are sexist and transphobic. Most of them are still online. I wouldnt say them now, and if I find them while I happen to be grunking (to use the Jack Monroe thread's way of putting it) then I'll delete delete or edit them if I can. The difference is that I'm willing to admit those past failings proactively rather than waiting to be called out and then squealing about abuse.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I know for a fact that I've said things which are sexist and transphobic. Most of them are still online. I wouldnt say them now, and if I find them while I happen to be grunking (to use the Jack Monroe thread's way of putting it) then I'll delete delete or edit them if I can. The difference is that I'm willing to admit those past failings proactively rather than waiting to be called out and then squealing about abuse.
That is exactly it. A lot of celebs, and non celebs, have done ill advised things. Eg Ant and Dec, as well as Reeves and Mortimer and others have done black face. Others have bullied online or elsewhere.
But most haven't then taken a moral high ground and pompously sat in judgement of, and made a living from, other people's morals and behaviour, whilst largely ignoring their own.
It is the rank hypocrisy that is so galling for a lot of people.

Reactions: 15

Thank you The Times for giving Tattle a mention which will draw more traffic this way and give even more people a voice to share their opinions.
I think it is hilarious that these blue tickers keep doing this :ROFLMAO: I can't work out if they genuinley a) think tattle is so awful people will come here and be shocked rather than realising we are just having discussions b) they are just stupid :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I think it is hilarious that these blue tickers keep doing this :ROFLMAO: I can't work out if they genuinley a) think tattle is so awful people will come here and be shocked rather than realising we are just having discussions b) they are just stupid :ROFLMAO:
I think a lot of journalists want to help this place grow so do negative articles knowing people will check it out, make this place busier and give them more material for future articles. Not one journalist slagging this place off as ever signed up to post in this very thread to engage with the very people they write negatively about.

Reactions: 9
The main point of his programme/article - that social media has made people more angry - just doesn't make sense to me. Before social media, how was it known how angry or not angry people were? They didn't have a voice.

They could a) vote in an election, b) join a protest (has he really forgotten the Poll Tax Riots?) or c) write a letter to the editor of The Times (who had every discretion as to whether or not to publish it).

• Heart
Reactions: 15
That's what cracks me up whenever Sali Hughes uses that phrase she made up "dragging sites". We've discussed it enough times here (wondering why she bothers as she's literally the only person in the world ever to use that expression) that anybody who Googles "WTF is a dragging site?" will be immediately directed to this site and Sali's 42 threads (and counting) plus a wiki.

Idiot :D.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
That's what cracks me up whenever Sali Hughes uses that phrase she made up "dragging sites". We've discussed it enough times here (wondering why she bothers as she's literally the only person in the world ever to use that expression) that anybody who Googles "WTF is a dragging site?" will be immediately directed to this site and Sali's 42 threads (and counting) plus a wiki.

Idiot :D.
42? Pppffft mere amateur

• Haha
Reactions: 5
The main point of his programme/article - that social media has made people more angry - just doesn't make sense to me. Before social media, how was it known how angry or not angry people were? They didn't have a voice.

They could a) vote in an election, b) join a protest (has he really forgotten the Poll Tax Riots?) or c) write a letter to the editor of The Times (who had every discretion as to whether or not to publish it).
Yes - and also all this praise for 'the quiet ones', which struck me as extremely patronising. The quiet ones seem to consist of having no strong opinions and agreeing with him.
Which obviously is fine - but why are they a better thing than 'noisy' ones?

I suspect one of the reasons Tattle seems to get so much outrage is the perception it’s mainly women. The really horrendous sites that are predominantly assumed to be male populated aren’t mentioned. So yeah - people don’t really like women with opinions. Be kind ladies! Quiet women are nice women apparently.

• Heart
Reactions: 30
I can think of so many men’s message boards that really are vile - what about punternet where they rate trafficked victims of the sex trade, football forums where they spout racist abuse, the disgusting way they talk about women on the army rumour service forums?

But no, let’s focus on Tattle where they er, mention hidden ads and laugh at people’s self importance.

• Heart
Reactions: 34
I suspect one of the reasons Tattle seems to get so much outrage is the perception it’s mainly women. The really horrendous sites that are predominantly assumed to be male populated aren’t mentioned. So yeah - people don’t really like women with opinions. Be kind ladies! Quiet women are nice women apparently.
Yeah, I've posted on a lot of sites, of all descriptions and, as I've said before, you get far worse tit on a lot of sports forums or even gay male gossip sites (assuming anyone can actually work out how to use DataLounge theses days lol), and that's ignoring the properly mad places like GLP or 4Chan (which, to be fair, have had articles about that at times).

Reactions: 8
But mentioning all that stuff might mean Baddiel alienates ‘laddish’ men. I’m assuming that’s his audience. Then what’s he got? He’s been riding high off the back of that Lightening Seeds song for 25 years.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
And this is what very few people will admit to, very refreshing post. Even on tattle there is a lot of sanctimonious crap spouted and you just know everyone is a hypocrite on some level.

I also think there’s a ‘better than you / them’ element that you see when people talk on mumsnet, for example, about it. They can identify as ‘good’ based on where they post vs what they say.

Reactions: 8

Or ring the Steve Wright Show from Purley!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
That’s the patriarchy at play for you! The media chooses to only show female dominated sites being bitchy, a certain parenting website and tattle always get mentioned but funny, none of the vile forums that share sex pics or football forums with men screaming death threats over other men missing a penalty get mentioned.

strange. Almost like a lot of the media control is dominated by men… 🥱

Reactions: 19