Taskmaster

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve loved Julian ever since the days of Fanny the Wonder Dog, anyone who’s autobiography is entitled The Lick of Love is a winner in my book.

Same here - I’m so glad he’s coming across well and his delicious barbedness hasn’t disappeared completely.

I just need one good “I thank you” from him and I’ll be made up! 😊

Reactions: 6
What a horrid individual Sue Perkins is.
That story about 'my ex' being a big eater and wearing an adult nappy knowing full well everyone will assume it is Anna Richardson.

• Wow
That story about 'my ex' being a big eater and wearing an adult nappy knowing full well everyone will assume it is Anna Richardson.
I wonder if Anna will bring it up on her podcast though she always noticeably avoids talking about her relationship with Sue on there and only ever brings up the partners she dated before and after to the point that I wonder if Sue made her sign an NDA.

Reactions: 2
I wonder if Anna will bring it up on her podcast though she always noticeably avoids talking about her relationship with Sue on there and only ever brings up the partners she dated before and after to the point that I wonder if Sue made her sign an NDA.
Pity it didn't work both ways.
She may not have meant AR but using the term 'my ex' instead of 'an ex' immediately made me think of Anna and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
It just seemed deeply unkind and humiliating. I didn't like Perkins before and this has made me dislike her even more tbh.

Reactions: 4
Pity it didn't work both ways.
She may not have meant AR but using the term 'my ex' instead of 'an ex' immediately made me think of Anna and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
It just seemed deeply unkind and humiliating. I didn't like Perkins before and this has made me dislike her even more tbh.
Both Anna and Sue also talked at lengths in interviews about getting together at a friend's Halloween party, so anyone who has watched the episode and googles Sue Perkins' ex + party will instantly get to Anna.

I think my problem with Sue on taskmaster is that I just don't recognize her as the person she is in her books and in the documentaries she does and I think she plays as much a character as Lucy does. This goofy and childish and over the top excited persona is just so different to the moody and short tempered woman she was on the most dangerous roads program, for example. And the insults towards Alex seem very much planned beforehand (unless it's a secret task).

Reactions: 10
I think my problem with Sue on taskmaster is that I just don't recognize her as the person she is in her books and in the documentaries she does and I think she plays as much a character as Lucy does. This goofy and childish and over the top excited persona is just so different to the moody and short tempered woman she was on the most dangerous roads program, for example. And the insults towards Alex seem very much planned beforehand (unless it's a secret task).

Thank you. You have articulated exactly how I’m feeling about Sue on TM but couldn’t find the words for it.

Lucy plays her ‘character’ much more naturalistically; Sue feels really jarring and forced.

Reactions: 5
Thank you. You have articulated exactly how I’m feeling about Sue on TM but couldn’t find the words for it.

Lucy plays her ‘character’ much more naturalistically; Sue feels really jarring and forced.
I get the impression Sue is a very tightly wound brittle person. It seems bizarre she went into comedy as a career. She is not naturally funny at all. She keeps trying to make witty asides but they just don't land.

Reactions: 8
I think Lucy does say some very funny things at times - but like you I find the whole ditzy vague quirky observations routine extremely grating.
I can't see Julian tolerating it really.
Last night was a prime example of Lucy over egging the quirkiness.
In the studio she apparently didn’t know the difference between Van Gogh and Monet, and confused Van Gogh with Gok Wan.
Yet on the actual task she immediately stated she was going to paint “Sunflowers by Van Gogh” -
I definitely think she’s not as ditzy as she makes out.
---
Agree. It made me cringe. Nasty.
She was clearly irked by Sam jokingly referring to her as a chick, too. And couldn’t show it because everyone else went along with the joke.
I’ve always felt that I want to like Sue, but actually I just don’t. She struggles to be funny and seems to have quite the side to her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I’ve always disliked her since an incident involving Giles Coren (being his mate is enough) a couple of school girls had to read an article of his in school, they tweeted saying it was rubbish and made derogatory comments (they were 14yr old idiots and it was clear from the tweets that they were young) he responded by threatening to rape their father, yet SP rang the school to complain about their behaviour and demanded that they were the ones to be punished, not a word about her mates threats.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
I get the impression Sue is a very tightly wound brittle person. It seems bizarre she went into comedy as a career. She is not naturally funny at all. She keeps trying to make witty asides but they just don't land.
It’s like she’s made notes on what worked well for previous contestants and Frankenstein-ed a persona that ostensibly ticks all of the ‘ideal TM contestant’ boxes, but she can’t perform the character convincingly.

It’s like she’s made notes on what worked well for previous contestants and Frankenstein-ed a persona that ostensibly ticks all of the ‘ideal TM contestant’ boxes, but she can’t perform the character convincingly.
Very well said. She's trying to simultaneously be wholesome Mel and the Alex taunting Ed/ Morgana. Also, her "what have I created?" scene in the season intro is the worst acting I've ever seen on Taskmaster.

Reactions: 3
Last night was a prime example of Lucy over egging the quirkiness.
In the studio she apparently didn’t know the difference between Van Gogh and Monet, and confused Van Gogh with Gok Wan.
Yet on the actual task she immediately stated she was going to paint “Sunflowers by Van Gogh” -
I definitely think she’s not as ditzy as she makes out.

Agree. It made me cringe. Nasty.
She was clearly irked by Sam jokingly referring to her as a chick, too. And couldn’t show it because everyone else went along with the joke.
I’ve always felt that I want to like Sue, but actually I just don’t. She struggles to be funny and seems to have quite the side to her.
Yes Sue did not like Sam calling her and Susan 'Diamond chicks' which as you say everybody else found hilarious but she obviously did not 🤭
I think she, Sue, is struggling to know where to fit in. Julian is the funny grumpy older person, Lucy is 'quirky', Susan is just lovely and Sam has naturally funny bones. Sue has no natural warmth or humour (unlike Mel), and her deadpan doesn't work here. It's as @ButtonDownTheHutches says, her natural personality just doesn't seem to be very pleasant and the other ones she's trying aren't working. Plus I think she is genuinely very thin-skinned and hates fun being poked at her or being humiliated, which isn't great for Taskmaster 😂
Mind you I'm not complaining about the series, I'm enjoying it and fascinating to see different characters emerging.
I also thought Lucy was a bit more subdued. Outwierded by Sam who genuinely seems a bit strange. He makes unfunny comments hilarious eg why was Croatia a regret? 'I just don't think I made the most of my time there' just should not be amusing. Plus she is sitting next to Julian who doesn't seem to laugh at anything she says. Reminds me of Frankie Boyle with Ivo Graham.

Julian is the guest on the latest taskmaster podcast and you can tell how much he enjoys Sam and his creativity.
He said he didn't like this particular team task and that there's one coming up where Sam and Lucy really excel with their unconventional thinking.

Also said that he thought Sam was unfairly marked in the prize task and that Sue got too many points for hers. Mentioned that the nappy story was true and that she told it in excruciating and horrific detail in the studio which got edited out.

Both Ed and Julian were exasperated with everyone acting like Sue invented something unbelievable with her fish sausage when it was really just fish cake in sausage form. Julian said he was seething in the studio but didn't say anything because he didn't want to come across as an asshole.

I think those were the most relevant bits. He also confirmed that he hadn't really watched taskmaster until he was asked to take part but was given the advice by a friend to wait and think about the task before saying the "your time starts now" line. And all his prize tasks were objects from his house as he didn't know people would bring in really creative things they acquired somewhere else.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Julian is the guest on the latest taskmaster podcast and you can tell how much he enjoys Sam and his creativity.
He said he didn't like this particular team task and that there's one coming up where Sam and Lucy really excel with their unconventional thinking.

Also said that he thought Sam was unfairly marked in the prize task and that Sue got too many points for hers. Mentioned that the nappy story was true and that she told it in excruciating and horrific detail in the studio which got edited out.

Both Ed and Julian were exasperated with everyone acting like Sue invented something unbelievable with her fish sausage when it was really just fish cake in sausage form. Julian said he was seething in the studio but didn't say anything because he didn't want to come across as an asshole.

I think those were the most relevant bits. He also confirmed that he hadn't really watched taskmaster until he was asked to take part but was given the advice by a friend to wait and think about the task before saying the "your time starts now" line. And all his prize tasks were objects from his house as he didn't know people would bring in really creative things they acquired somewhere else.
Ooh fascinating stuff. Good old Julian.
I must watch with renewed interest how he interacts with Sue from now on. I must say I find it hilarious he was silently seething over the sausage task 😂
I love petty and bitter.

Reactions: 7
Ooh fascinating stuff. Good old Julian.
I must watch with renewed interest how he interacts with Sue from now on. I must say I find it hilarious he was silently seething over the sausage task 😂
I love petty and bitter.
I expected them to have a lot of banter in the studio segments when the cast was announced because Julian regularly appears on Just a Minute which Sue hosts but maybe their chairs are just too far apart. This season feels a lot like series 11 in that regard, where the interactions are mainly between Greg and the contestants and less among the 5.

Reactions: 4
I feel like Julian has been in the business too long to play up to fake personas.
He does seem to genuinely find Sam amusing, and I think he quite likes Alex.
But he looks bored when Lucy’s being odd, and yes, I hadn’t thought about it before, but there’s actually very little interaction between the 5.

Reactions: 8
I don’t think Sue is comfortable as she’s not the host, which is rare. She’s actually lovely IRL.

Reactions: 2
I feel like Julian has been in the business too long to play up to fake personas.
He does seem to genuinely find Sam amusing, and I think he quite likes Alex.
But he looks bored when Lucy’s being odd, and yes, I hadn’t thought about it before, but there’s actually very little interaction between the 5.
Yes I wondered if that is why Lucy seemed (to me anyway) a bit more subdued. She knows she's on there for her quirky 'takes', but it must be hard with somebody bored and disapproving sitting next to you 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Yes I wondered if that is why Lucy seemed (to me anyway) a bit more subdued. She knows she's on there for her quirky 'takes', but it must be hard with somebody bored and disapproving sitting next to you 😂
She might also run out of prepared material as she's already repeating the poo thrown off a balcony story.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.