Tally Rye

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have many thoughts.

I had a similar history with food/exercise as Tally - for about 6/7 years I massively restricted food, everything was tracked on Myfitnesspal, exercised excessively and got really stressed out if I couldn’t stick to my exercise plan. I thought I was super healthy but actually mentally I was not healthy.

About 3 years ago I stopped going to the gym because I wasn’t well but still obsessed over food and getting my 10k steps, then lockdowns happened and I stopped everything completely.

I haven’t exercised at all since I think June 2020, probably dont even do 10k steps in a week now and eat like a pig. The only reason I’m not “that size” and still size 8/10 is because I’m genetically built like this. If you saw me you would think I was healthy but I’m not at all 😂 I do need to get back into it, but for my mental health I needed this break and I think that’s fine for a few a bit. It might be the same for Tally I don’t know.

I agree the phrase “Intuitive eating/movement” is pretty wanky, but it is just eating and exercising like a normal person. And it is a really important message when there are so many eating disordered fitness influencers out there (Zanna Van Dijk..). It’s so so easy to get sucked into all these fitness influencers and think it’s normal to exercise 5x a week and calculate your macro split blah blah when really.. it’s not normal nor is it necessary. I wish I had learned this when I was in my early 20s!

Also my best friend is a size 20-something. She has always been big, she eats well and exercises regularly but just cannot shift any weight. At this point she is definitely healthier than size 8 me. She really likes Tally and it is actually important for her to see other plus size girls exercising and to know that exercise is not just for skinny people. Getting yourself into the gym or the pool or whatever can be really difficult to do when there aren’t many people there that look like you. I do not think she’s encouraging obesity at all, just a normal life. (Bodyposipanda is a different story though!!)

I do think though that the coaching is a scam though, she isn’t qualified and I just can’t imagine what they talk about?!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I have many thoughts.

I had a similar history with food/exercise as Tally - for about 6/7 years I massively restricted food, everything was tracked on Myfitnesspal, exercised excessively and got really stressed out if I couldn’t stick to my exercise plan. I thought I was super healthy but actually mentally I was not healthy.

About 3 years ago I stopped going to the gym because I wasn’t well but still obsessed over food and getting my 10k steps, then lockdowns happened and I stopped everything completely.

I haven’t exercised at all since I think June 2020, probably dont even do 10k steps in a week now and eat like a pig. The only reason I’m not “that size” and still size 8/10 is because I’m genetically built like this. If you saw me you would think I was healthy but I’m not at all 😂 I do need to get back into it, but for my mental health I needed this break and I think that’s fine for a few a bit. It might be the same for Tally I don’t know.

I agree the phrase “Intuitive eating/movement” is pretty wanky, but it is just eating and exercising like a normal person. And it is a really important message when there are so many eating disordered fitness influencers out there (Zanna Van Dijk..). It’s so so easy to get sucked into all these fitness influencers and think it’s normal to exercise 5x a week and calculate your macro split blah blah when really.. it’s not normal nor is it necessary. I wish I had learned this when I was in my early 20s!

Also my best friend is a size 20-something. She has always been big, she eats well and exercises regularly but just cannot shift any weight. At this point she is definitely healthier than size 8 me. She really likes Tally and it is actually important for her to see other plus size girls exercising and to know that exercise is not just for skinny people. Getting yourself into the gym or the pool or whatever can be really difficult to do when there aren’t many people there that look like you. I do not think she’s encouraging obesity at all, just a normal life. (Bodyposipanda is a different story though!!)

I do think though that the coaching is a scam though, she isn’t qualified and I just can’t imagine what they talk about?!
I totally agree that the tracking, macros and exercising every day at 5am is not good mentally or physically and sets a bad example.

However I do think that exercising and setting yourself a goal is important. Genetics do play a massive part but I’m afraid I have to disagree, scientifically if you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. I think you are probably “healthier” than you think in terms of retaining habits from your previous “fitness lifestyle”. Your friend is probably “less healthy” than she thinks. Before I started my plan I thought I was pretty good, exercising ad hoc, rarely having junk food and being a good cook. It was eye opening about where my extra calories were coming from and about how I’d stress-eat and “treat myself” regularly.

It’s hard as it depends what we’re saying is healthy. Is it having good cardio stamina? Is it having a healthy heart, cholesterol, liver and fertility? Is it looking trim, toned and not carrying excess weight? I agree it’s a total minefield.

For me it’s about not carrying extra weight as that previous commenter on tally’s post said. I started this year at an unhappy size 18 which i reached during lockdown and with the help of a coach, regular workouts and fewer calories, I’ve dropped two dress sizes, discovered that the gym is fun and not scary, and improved my self esteem more than I could have imagined. Once I reach my target weight they’ll teach me to maintain it and set different goals in the gym to keep up my routine. I used to look at thinner/smaller/healthier girls and think I could never be that way. But I’ve proved myself wrong. I do feel strongly that losing weight can be beneficial especially for health reasons.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I totally agree that the tracking, macros and exercising every day at 5am is not good mentally or physically and sets a bad example.

However I do think that exercising and setting yourself a goal is important. Genetics do play a massive part but I’m afraid I have to disagree, scientifically if you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. I think you are probably “healthier” than you think in terms of retaining habits from your previous “fitness lifestyle”. Your friend is probably “less healthy” than she thinks. Before I started my plan I thought I was pretty good, exercising ad hoc, rarely having junk food and being a good cook. It was eye opening about where my extra calories were coming from and about how I’d stress-eat and “treat myself” regularly.

It’s hard as it depends what we’re saying is healthy. Is it having good cardio stamina? Is it having a healthy heart, cholesterol, liver and fertility? Is it looking trim, toned and not carrying excess weight? I agree it’s a total minefield.

For me it’s about not carrying extra weight as that previous commenter on tally’s post said. I started this year at an unhappy size 18 which i reached during lockdown and with the help of a coach, regular workouts and fewer calories, I’ve dropped two dress sizes, discovered that the gym is fun and not scary, and improved my self esteem more than I could have imagined. Once I reach my target weight they’ll teach me to maintain it and set different goals in the gym to keep up my routine. I used to look at thinner/smaller/healthier girls and think I could never be that way. But I’ve proved myself wrong. I do feel strongly that losing weight can be beneficial especially for health reasons.
Wow! Well done you! I so relate to this too. I think people like Tally forget there are exceptions to the rules. And they like to ignore statistics because it’s inconvenient for them and what they are flogging.
“Intuitive movement” sounds like absolute tit. Nobody is going to say going to the gym at 6am 5 days a week is a must (unless it’s your job to train eg athletes). But most people struggle with motivation, forming good habits, and keeping those good habits. Exercise is a habit and if you’re not consistent it’s so bloody hard to keep up.
Alice liveing, even though she’s much smaller than Tally, really hates her body as it is and is so inconsistent with her approach to exercise. They are both personal trainers, but I have no clue how they are motivating anybody.

Reactions: 7
Wow! Well done you! I so relate to this too. I think people like Tally forget there are exceptions to the rules. And they like to ignore statistics because it’s inconvenient for them and what they are flogging.
“Intuitive movement” sounds like absolute tit. Nobody is going to say going to the gym at 6am 5 days a week is a must (unless it’s your job to train eg athletes). But most people struggle with motivation, forming good habits, and keeping those good habits. Exercise is a habit and if you’re not consistent it’s so bloody hard to keep up.
Alice liveing, even though she’s much smaller than Tally, really hates her body as it is and is so inconsistent with her approach to exercise. They are both personal trainers, but I have no clue how they are motivating anybody.
Thank you! I think the issue is down to everyone being so different. My plan wouldn’t work for everyone, different routines suit different people. Everyone has different levels of self esteem, motivation, goals, mental health etc. Its difficult then when people like Tally try to generalise

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Thank you! I think the issue is down to everyone being so different. My plan wouldn’t work for everyone, different routines suit different people. Everyone has different levels of self esteem, motivation, goals, mental health etc. Its difficult then when people like Tally try to generalise
Exactly this! 🙌🏻
I think that especially when disordered, compulsive or extreme behaviours are involved it should only be unpacked by fully trained and experienced therapists, coaches and professionals. So much long term damage (both physical and mental) can be done so easily that it is simply not fair to start digging around when you don't know what you're doing. She is being incredibly reckless.

Reactions: 2
Exactly this! 🙌🏻
I think that especially when disordered, compulsive or extreme behaviours are involved it should only be unpacked by fully trained and experienced therapists, coaches and professionals. So much long term damage (both physical and mental) can be done so easily that it is simply not fair to start digging around when you don't know what you're doing. She is being incredibly reckless.
Tally and literally everyone else that’s an “Instagram professional”.

Reactions: 1
It's probably been mentioned here before but I find it so disingenuous that on the one hand she is always talking about acknowledging her white privilege and giving space to people of colour in relation to body positivity but then wears Abercrombie which we all knew was pretty racist even before the documentary.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
She’s really fucked me off coming on all weepy about how upsetting and stressful her non job is. Same as Zanna and Alice. Honestly, give it up, you guys had a good run, and get a real job that fulfils you and teaches you perspective. I am all for people following non trad paths, I am one myself, but this clearly isn’t working for any of them. All I’m seeing is an extended pity me party because they aren’t being humoured or revered enough?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
She’s really fucked me off coming on all weepy about how upsetting and stressful her non job is. Same as Zanna and Alice. Honestly, give it up, you guys had a good run, and get a real job that fulfils you and teaches you perspective. I am all for people following non trad paths, I am one myself, but this clearly isn’t working for any of them. All I’m seeing is an extended pity me party because they aren’t being humoured or revered enough?
Nail on the head!

What does everyone in touch with reality do when they are faced with tough times? They reassess their business/job and lifestyle. They don’t go on social media and cry to strangers.
If your business model doesn’t work, there are only two options - adapt or move on. This is so pathetic. And it’s definitely very prevalent with these non-job influencers as you mentioned. It also shows they don’t have an actual network to vent to. Go to your family and friends. Don’t burden 300k strangers who may actually have a lot worse problems. Stupid.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
What the duck is she whining on about???? How on earth is she stressed by her non job lifestyle?! Has she realised that gullible people don’t have the spare cash to pay for her over priced retreats and intuitive movement crap??? These privileged well off healthy Insta “influencers” wouldn’t know hardship if it came up and slapped them with a haddock. Alice Liveing does this all the time too. Woe is me, so stressed, life is so busy, I can’t cope etc etc living in a luxury apartment with no money worries gifted cars and all sorts of tit. Imagine actually having some proper tough tit to deal with??? My friend the same age as me has just been diagnosed with cancer. That sucks. She ain’t whining though like these spoilt little brats. They make me so mad. Hopefully 2023 will be the year they all fall out of favour.

• Heart
@pennypinchpam nail on the head right back! It’s a complete joke. They are all so vacuous and out of touch with reality, I think the scales have fallen from a lot of peoples eyes re: these kind of influencers. It’s not on anymore. It’s been exposed as a massive skiving grift for freebies and money for nothing, by people who are excessively privileged and often wealthy in the first place. I know I’m sick of seeing it. Who cares hun, I’m sure if your spacious central London flat is untenable you guys can always decamp to one of your in laws second Devon homes?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
What the duck is she whining on about???? How on earth is she stressed by her non job lifestyle?! Has she realised that gullible people don’t have the spare cash to pay for her over priced retreats and intuitive movement crap??? These privileged well off healthy Insta “influencers” wouldn’t know hardship if it came up and slapped them with a haddock. Alice Liveing does this all the time too. Woe is me, so stressed, life is so busy, I can’t cope etc etc living in a luxury apartment with no money worries gifted cars and all sorts of tit. Imagine actually having some proper tough tit to deal with??? My friend the same age as me has just been diagnosed with cancer. That sucks. She ain’t whining though like these spoilt little brats. They make me so mad. Hopefully 2023 will be the year they all fall out of favour.
At least Tally’s partner is around. Alice’s DP is nowhere ever to be seen (unless it’s at the golf/strip club 😂)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
So is she basically crying because she isn't making enough money by essentially doing nothing anymore???

• Haha
  • Heart
So is she basically crying because she isn't making enough money by essentially doing nothing anymore???
Exactly. No tit Sherlock, giving out totally unqualified “intuitive eating” coaching isn’t exactly a money spinner? What a shocker

• Haha
BINGO!

it’s also why the majority of influencers are having a breakdown these days. The thriving days of the Instagram influencer is no more! No one is fooling for their inauthenticity anymore!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The most surprising thing about all this is she claims to have a ‘business.’ I don’t mean to be snarky, I honestly never believed she saw her over priced holidays and unqualified ‘coaching’ as a business.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Why do these valid influencers insist on posting videos, photos reels of them crying?! It’s the cringiest fakest thing ever and does not evoke sympathy from me!

Reactions: 8
It's probably been mentioned here before but I find it so disingenuous that on the one hand she is always talking about acknowledging her white privilege and giving space to people of colour in relation to body positivity but then wears Abercrombie which we all knew was pretty racist even before the documentary.
I know someone who DM'd her to politely raise this point and they did so respectfully. She blocked them. Its one thing to agree to differ 'that's your point of view and not mine' but to block and not acknowledge screams of a closed narrow mind and absolutely no intention of having reasonable open discussion.
Her lovely friend Zanna is a big fan of block and hide. 🙄

Nail on the head!

What does everyone in touch with reality do when they are faced with tough times? They reassess their business/job and lifestyle. They don’t go on social media and cry to strangers.
If your business model doesn’t work, there are only two options - adapt or move on. This is so pathetic. And it’s definitely very prevalent with these non-job influencers as you mentioned. It also shows they don’t have an actual network to vent to. Go to your family and friends. Don’t burden 300k strangers who may actually have a lot worse problems. Stupid.
It did also make me wonder if this is gently testing the water with reference to paid content - a podcast fee perhaps for extra content!?! 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 6
Oh please with the woe is me, filming yourself crying video.

What an insult.

Tally has a pretty cushy life, let’s be honest. Trips abroad, nicely renovated flat and looking to buy a house, hosting parties, meals out and a partner who seems to do well for himself and comes from a monied background. Fine.

If she is so worried about her business and money perhaps she might consider packing it in for a 9 to 5 where she can’t just take a quick walk from her flat when she feels like to Tower Bridge.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.