Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Princess of Scots

VIP Member
I hope you don't mind me asking but are you from a working class background by any chance? This is exactly what my family said to me, despite sending me to a (state) grammar school they didn't want me to go to uni due to the risk and the financial side of it etc, it's the typical working class attitude. I was the first in my family to go to uni and I now have 4 degrees so don't be afraid to aim higher. I also changed career in my mid/late 20s so at 22 you are far from being too old. In my current profession, it's not uncommon that people change career and qualify in their 30s and 40s.

It sounds like the crucial thing for you is working out what it is you'd like to do and then look at routes to getting there. If you're not sure what you'd like to do think about things like - what kind of environment do you want to be in? A hospital, school, office? Who do you want to work with - children, animals, other adults? What kind of work pattern do you want to do - 9-5 week days, shifts, weekends? What skills do you have and what are you not so good at? What do you enjoy and what do you not enjoy?
Yes, I am from a solidly working class background. My parents have no formal education. Only the wife of one of my cousins has any post secondary education.

I am interested in the property industry. I have saw a couple of apprentice surveyor roles nearby but I just don't think I would be up for it.

I do think I am able to adapt but I do require quite a structured environment and when I have it I do thrive. I think that's why I struggled with purely theoretical studies. I need to see it applied.

I'm quite good with keeping attention to detail. In a previous job I was assessing public funding so I do understand the need to have a good sense of attention to detail and having things accounted for especially when there's significant value and public funds involved.

Communication is probably a plus point too. I've worked in call centres so that's another thing. I do think I work well in a team as well as I can always muck in and do my bit to get shit done.

I'm not sure if I really am up to it or if I'm just a bit too dim and arrogant with higher expectations of myself than I really have. I never know if I always overestimate myself or not.

Animals is a definite no due to allergies and phobias. Healthcare I'm iffy about due to the shift patterns.

Reactions: 1

aidil

VIP Member
Brief update: no success on the job front.

Got some really good advice from an interview I was rejected from. I was advised to study HNC Quantity Surveying at college. I was told the lack of my HNC was the only thing that stopped me from getting the job.

As a result,I've enrolled on the HNC course and I start on Monday. I'm doing it part time alongside working. My work didn't let me drop hours so I'll be working full time and studying one day a week.

I'll be looking for a new job too so there's that. Baby steps.
This is amazing news! A big step in the right direction and hopefully having the necessary qualification will open up a new world of opportunities! Proud of you šŸ’™

• Heart

Former_Antelopee

VIP Member
What about a full time education course with more structure? My degree I was in classes 9-4 every day so it was pretty much like school. Donā€™t know how many would be like this but there is probably a few. My degree was split between working and uni so when I wasnā€™t at uni Iā€™d have a strict work schedule. Or what about an apprenticeship? Guess it depends if you can decide what you want to do.
Could you volunteer somewhere to get experience/foot in the door in the jobs you are interested in but couldnā€™t get into?

Princess of Scots

VIP Member
Not everyone has to be successful or have a huge career.

Youā€™re certainly not too old to find yourself. You may be working into your 60s so thereā€™s plenty time.

No one really likes work. We go every day so we can get money. You have to find something that you can tolerate. If you are desperate for a big career you need to find something that you like or something that youā€™re good at and go from there. These things donā€™t come to you just because you did well at school. The schools job is to give you the skills for your future, not to plan it all out for you. You got the grades you now need to apply that in life

Iā€™ve just read this back - it sounds arsey. Not my intention but I feel a reality check is needed here. Itā€™s not going to drop in your lap. You are only 22 go and find what interests you and work out what your skills are.

good luck.
I know I sound like a complete tool. Just borne out of frustration because in a nutshell I am bitter and jealous of everyone around me succeeding at their first attempt.

Everything I've tried has failed miserably. I've tried academia. Crashed out twice.

I've tried applying for positions in different industries. I'm always rejected. I can't seem to get my foot in the door.

I don't have any skills that's my issue. Nothing is transferable. This is where I feel like I'm trapped in customer service. I don't have skills. I just have the things that are standard,like good time keeping and reliability. That's not skills, that's just common sense. It's not like I'm a job hopper either.

I get the impression I've maybe painted myself as being lazy.
I can't exactly say that's the case. I work my absolute arse off. I will go out of my way to try and pick things up as best as I can. I think I can be a very awkward person so sales doesn't come naturally to me. My current job hasn't really trained me so I've been having to pick a lot of it up myself.

Last edited:
  • Heart

HEC1993

Chatty Member
Iā€™m a mum of 2 and up until I went on maternity leave in may 2022 I was just working as medical secretary. Iā€™m now thinking of applying for British airways new pilot training programme. Itā€™s my dream. Iā€™m not sure how itā€™s going to work with two kids but Iā€™m determined

• Heart

Notworthy

VIP Member
Iā€™m a mum of 2 and up until I went on maternity leave in may 2022 I was just working as medical secretary. Iā€™m now thinking of applying for British airways new pilot training programme. Itā€™s my dream. Iā€™m not sure how itā€™s going to work with two kids but Iā€™m determined
My Son is too. Good luck any questions just ask.
Just apply, worry about the details if you make it past sift, going to be highly competitive.

• Heart

mochibean

VIP Member
I know I sound like a complete tool. Just borne out of frustration because in a nutshell I am bitter and jealous of everyone around me succeeding at their first attempt.

Everything I've tried has failed miserably. I've tried academia. Crashed out twice.

I've tried applying for positions in different industries. I'm always rejected. I can't seem to get my foot in the door.

I don't have any skills that's my issue. Nothing is transferable. This is where I feel like I'm trapped in customer service. I don't have skills. I just have the things that are standard,like good time keeping and reliability. That's not skills, that's just common sense. It's not like I'm a job hopper either.

I get the impression I've maybe painted myself as being lazy.
I can't exactly say that's the case. I work my absolute arse off. I will go out of my way to try and pick things up as best as I can. I think I can be a very awkward person so sales doesn't come naturally to me. My current job hasn't really trained me so I've been having to pick a lot of it up myself.
First off you're only 22, that's super young! You still have your whole life to work things out and I am so sure that they will.

I was exactly the same as you at 22 and I think a huge thing you're missing is confidence in your own potential. I was awkward and anxious and I was working jobs that were awful for me and gave me no skills, training, etc. At 22 it's so normal to not know what you want to do, and know who you are. You're still very much finding your feet as a young adult and you're in no way getting too old to start anything. I went back to uni at 26, finishing my degree this year at age 29 and I'm still not 100% sure about my next steps and what I'll be doing even a year from now and that's okay.

I think the issue is in GCSE year you're forced to pick based on your future, same with college and uni and you're expected to know what career you want before even knowing anything about what that career entails or if it's even suited to you. Our brains don't even finish developing until 25-ish how are we supposed to pick something as a child and stick with it? I know people older than me in their 30's who have changed career because what they chose back then doesn't reflect who they are now.

Skills wise, skills come with experience and time. Some people are naturally more skilled in certain things than others but they also lack in other areas. We all have strengths and weaknesses it just takes us time to figure them out. I used to be incredibly shy and awkward and struggled in the workplace a lot, since then I'm still a bit awkward but I do better in customer facing rolls because I've worked on my communication over the past few years. I lack skills in organisation and leadership and know now I could never be a manager or anything higher up and that's okay.

It sounds like your job is an issue here, lack of training made me feel incompetent and caused me to fail in those jobs. Without training how are you supposed to learn and grow? All well and good picking it up yourself (a skill in itself) but they're supposed to train you.

I'd evaluate what you want to do, don't let societal pressure and expectations get to you. Also comparing yourself to others isn't helpful, focus on your own path.

I wanna ask do you have any hobbies or things you particularly feel drawn too? It helped me to turn my interests into education and hopefully a career one day. I work a pretty dead job at the moment whilst doing this and I will say there's nothing wrong with it, I actually really enjoy it but not something I particularly want to do forever. It wouldn't be the worst thing though.

Newsreader

Yes, I am from a solidly working class background. My parents have no formal education. Only the wife of one of my cousins has any post secondary education.

I am interested in the property industry. I have saw a couple of apprentice surveyor roles nearby but I just don't think I would be up for it.

I do think I am able to adapt but I do require quite a structured environment and when I have it I do thrive. I think that's why I struggled with purely theoretical studies. I need to see it applied.

I'm quite good with keeping attention to detail. In a previous job I was assessing public funding so I do understand the need to have a good sense of attention to detail and having things accounted for especially when there's significant value and public funds involved.

Communication is probably a plus point too. I've worked in call centres so that's another thing. I do think I work well in a team as well as I can always muck in and do my bit to get shit done.

I'm not sure if I really am up to it or if I'm just a bit too dim and arrogant with higher expectations of myself than I really have. I never know if I always overestimate myself or not.

Animals is a definite no due to allergies and phobias. Healthcare I'm iffy about due to the shift patterns.
I work in Property, what about property interests you? Real Estate, Development, Investment side, Property Management or Leasing or surveying. Definitely recommend looking into a property degree, and then possible looking for part time work give yourself experience. Property offers alot of opportunities and you can work all over the world šŸŒŽ āœØļø And your only 22 have plenty of time to decide what you want to do very young x

• Heart

Princess of Scots

VIP Member
Good luck with the job application!

I'm not sure many people know what they want to do at 22, to be honest. Experts now believe our brains don't fully mature until we're about 25.

I'm 47 and just started retraining into a new career. I see you're in Scotland - have you considered the Open University as an alternative route to a degree? It's a lot cheaper if you live in Scotland, a 30 point module is Ā£534 and if you earn under Ā£25k a year you may be able to get a grant to cover it - not sure if that's just STEM subjects or all undergraduate and access courses.
I think the open University wouldn't suit. I really don't do well with self directed learning. I just can't engage with it.

Princess of Scots

VIP Member
This sounds like you being defeatist and putting up barriers to making any real changes because youā€™re scared of the unknown and possibly like the safety of jobs that you donā€™t enjoy but also donā€™t push you out of your comfort zone.
I think you've summed it up. I'm absolutely terrified of taking any risks. I've always been brought up to play it safe. I suppose in a way I was raised to be wary of being very ambitious. You played it safe to be secure. I went to college a second time and was advised against it because it was taking a risk. The first time I was almost talked out of applying for uni at school because it was 'a big risk'. Of course it backfired because I cannot seem to engage with very theoretical academic courses.

I want to try something different but I'm scared to take the plunge in case I fuck up again and I'm back at square 1 once again. I sometimes think maybe I have ambitions loftier than I'm capable of so I should just stick to something safe. I always feel like I'm wasting my potential but I don't know whether that's just me being arrogant or whether I need to know my level and stick to basic entry level jobs.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Codiaeum

VIP Member
(I'm not from the UK, so I've only a very basic understanding of the education system and job training that might be available to you)

First off, as others have pointed out, 22 isn't too old for anything - many people are still figuring things out at that age - heck, I was in my bachelor studies then and had zero clue where I would end up.

University isn't for everyone and even in uni, not every course is right for everyone. You wrote that you like structure - regardless of where you are, unless it's school, you will need to learn to create structure for yourself, in uni and also in any job. There may be places where more or less structure is already in place, but if you feel like you do best with a laid-out plan, there's no harm in creating a plan or asking for guidance with one.

Have you considered internships? I know they have a bad reputation for being unpaid, but many many places aren't like that at all (my previous and current employers actually pay quite well for our interns) - you would be able to check out the job in general, learn some new things and many places want to hire interns full time later on.

Princess of Scots

VIP Member
I work in Property, what about property interests you? Real Estate, Development, Investment side, Property Management or Leasing or surveying. Definitely recommend looking into a property degree, and then possible looking for part time work give yourself experience. Property offers alot of opportunities and you can work all over the world šŸŒŽ āœØļø And your only 22 have plenty of time to decide what you want to do very young x
I've applied for a few surveying roles. Not heard anything back.

I've always had an interest within working in the industry. I've got a really good attention to detail particularly so I think that would make me suited to surveying and development.

I don't think I'd like the hard sales approach of estate agency but I do know I would like to work in something property adjacent.

Newsreader

I've applied for a few surveying roles. Not heard anything back.

I've always had an interest within working in the industry. I've got a really good attention to detail particularly so I think that would make me suited to surveying and development.

I don't think I'd like the hard sales approach of estate agency but I do know I would like to work in something property adjacent.
I'm not sure about the England but I'm thinking you may need a degree. Why don't you follow up on the applications you sent, give them a call, speak to the hiring manager. Arrange go meet for a coffee, discuss what requirements are needed, how they succeeded in their career. People are only to happy to provide information & advice, see what course he/she done. That's how I fell into my own degree. See if there are opportunities to work and also study at the same time to gain experience šŸ˜„
---
https://www.rics.org/join-rics/rics...ics/assessment-of-professional-competence-apc

Contact Rics they are the body that look after surveyors, based in UK but all over the world. Once you begin working you undertake a pathway for 2 years to become a chartered surveyor. They will be able to advise you on the best route and of any uni courses in your area. šŸ˜„
---

Last edited:

Notworthy

VIP Member
I've just seen this thread, good luck to you. The analogy I have used with my Son (a fellow dyspraxic) is life is like a car journey, you can go to Brighton (we live in the Southeast but any journey will do) via the M23/A23 and get down there in 40 minutes or you can take the scenic London to Brighton bike ride route, enjoying the scenery as you go and you'll still end up in Brighton but will be the richer for the experience.

I knew what I wanted to do when I was about 10, the careers dept at my School told me it was an impossible dream (back in the 80's and despite being top set for everything) My Mum and Stepdad were never academic so I didn't bother to discuss it with them just basically gave up on School and scrapped my O levels then left School. At 19 I moved to the US and lived with my Dad, told him what I wanted to do and he knew there was a course at the local community college. I enrolled, then left due to funds, saved my money, got a job that fit in better with studying, went back and got my Commercial, multi, instrument pilots license. I was 23 when I started and 28 with a Son when I finished.

Last edited:

Falkor

VIP Member
Good luck with the job application!

I'm not sure many people know what they want to do at 22, to be honest. Experts now believe our brains don't fully mature until we're about 25.

I'm 47 and just started retraining into a new career. I see you're in Scotland - have you considered the Open University as an alternative route to a degree? It's a lot cheaper if you live in Scotland, a 30 point module is Ā£534 and if you earn under Ā£25k a year you may be able to get a grant to cover it - not sure if that's just STEM subjects or all undergraduate and access courses.