Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The comments on the Strictly insta about Layton are god awful. It’s like he’s the first ringer the show have ever had.. 😵💫 how do people not know the drill by now?!
He needs to have a chat with Ashley Roberts

Reactions: 4
The results of Dave’s poll are interesting. The bottom two matches the dance-off and there’s barely anything in it between Krishnan, Annabel and Angela R. Assuming Adam goes next week, one of those three won’t make it Blackpool. I’d love to see Krishnan making it there.
Also, it’s looking like Ellie’s to lose at the moment but it’ll be interesting to see what the next three weeks bring. Nigel’s got a solid vote even with a couple of lower scoring weeks and I suspect most Bobby fans aren’t voting in Dave’s poll in the first place.
IMG_0484.jpeg

Reactions: 7
I don't understand people getting arsey with Layton himself. The show cast him - what we supposed to do, say "Oh gosh, thank you for the opportunity but it would be simply unfair for me to complete - may I recommend my mum's plumber Dave who's never danced a step in his life?"
Well no, there's no point having a go at layton himself. Although his likeability issue probably doesn't help him there. He has a reputation in theatre circles, so not surprising people don't warm to him on tv

Reactions: 13
True, but pop dancing is still different. It's also a different type of performance.

He is a former Billy elliot, and a west end performer who has been in very dance heavy musical theatre shows (Inc very recently)with choreography featuring elements of dance strictly does (especially the latin). Plus the storytelling and acting aspect he will be used to.

I was genuinely shocked when his name was first announced.
Pussycat Dolls were a lot more than just a pop dance group. They were a burlesque dance troupe for years before they became a pop band. Ashley is up there with Layton in the ringer leaderboard.

Reactions: 22
Pussycat Dolls were a lot more than just a pop dance group. They were a burlesque dance troupe for years before they became a pop band. Ashley is up there with Layton in the ringer leaderboard.
And Ashley had years and years of competitive contemporary dance experience before PCD.

Reactions: 17
True but again, it's not stepping off the west end musical theatre stage and onto strictly. He is above her in ringer status. It's as close to being a strictly pro as you can get without being a ballroom champ

Reactions: 12
It was bugging me to think who Kai reminded me of, tonight.

Why, of course Mr Treeger, Friends 🤣

3A6ED539-61A7-4E88-9543-1A33D5FD1066.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 22
The results of Dave’s poll are interesting. The bottom two matches the dance-off and there’s barely anything in it between Krishnan, Annabel and Angela R. Assuming Adam goes next week, one of those three won’t make it Blackpool. I’d love to see Krishnan making it there.
Also, it’s looking like Ellie’s to lose at the moment but it’ll be interesting to see what the next three weeks bring. Nigel’s got a solid vote even with a couple of lower scoring weeks and I suspect most Bobby fans aren’t voting in Dave’s poll in the first place.
View attachment 2537992
Ugh there's no way Rippon will get booted out before Blackpool, even if Kai has to whiz her round on a Stannah stairlift. I would love Krishnan to make it - I wonder if there is a chance Angela S. won't make it, with somewhat erratic scores and dances, and Krishnan might sneak in - not that I want Angela to go..

Reactions: 10
True but again, it's not stepping off the west end musical theatre stage and onto strictly. He is above her in ringer status. It's as close to being a strictly pro as you can get without being a ballroom champ
They toured theatres as well as having residency’s.
Ashley danced since she was 3 and went on to study dance. She’s probably more qualified than some past pros.
There really isn’t much difference in it.

I think you’re correct. It’s probably more the delivery of the criticism rather than pointing out the mistakes themselves? They seem to be super negative towards him and with others there’s usually more of a balance in terms of criticism and praise. Anxiety (and probably also anticipating that harsh criticism) can really cause someone to unintentionally self-sabotage. 🙁
I totally agree. She might make fair points but her delivery is awful. I went and looked back at what I posted on the thread when Shirley was particularly critical about Nigel’s week two VW and I could have basically posted the same comment verbatim tonight and it would still be accurate a month later:
I appreciate when Shirley wants to give more technical feedback - because god knows it’s often lacking on that panel - but how she says it can ruin the feedback entirely. There’s a polite way to offer critique and Shirley massively missed the mark with Nigel. I'm assuming she saw that he was talented and wanted to push him but you’re totally right that her feedback and delivery could have easily knocked a contestant.
The only thing I’d change about my comment for tonight is that it’s starting to seem like the delivery/feedback is knocking Nigel now. He was defeated in the backstage clip which is just a bit miserable to see really.

• Sad
Reactions: 26
Interestingly, I’ve only heard nice things about Layton from a friend who worked behind the scenes on Jamie 🤷🏼‍♀️ but then again, said friend isn’t one to get involved in any gossip. I’m constantly bugging him for inside goss & nada!

If my beloved Nikita likes him, good enough for me 😂

• Heart
Ringer or not, I absolutely love what Layton and Nikita bring, week after week.

The others I love and enjoy - no matter what the judges say, are - Krishnan and Lauren, Nigel and Katya and of course Ellie and Vito.

I thought Adam looked genuinely unwell tonight, and I hope he is okay.
Took my usual wine/ tea/ toilet break during Bobby and Dianne's performance. 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I totally agree. She might make fair points but her delivery is awful. I went and looked back at what I posted on the thread when Shirley was particularly critical about Nigel’s week two VW and I could have basically posted the same comment verbatim tonight and it would still be accurate a month later:

The only thing I’d change about my comment for tonight is that it’s starting to seem like the delivery/feedback is knocking Nigel now. He was defeated in the backstage clip which is just a bit miserable to see really.
Spot on. At first, it may have motivated him to correct his mistakes and improve his technique because it was still so early, but when the criticism is constantly harsh and there’s no praise despite how hard he works, that’s going to really wear someone down. It reminds me of how some teachers pick on a certain student and that student just stops trying in the end. Awful.

Reactions: 20
I don't understand people getting arsey with Layton himself. The show cast him - what was he supposed to do, say "Oh gosh, thank you for the opportunity but it would be simply unfair for me to complete - may I recommend my mum's plumber Dave who's never danced a step in his life?"
I heard Dave's missus dragged him to Thursday night Salsa at the church hall this one time. So no. Dave should not compete.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
You know when JoClif said on Choreography Corner: "Imagine your body is full of eels"? I've just realised that's why the way Bobby moves unnerves me so much - it's like he's nothing but a swarm of eels in a skin suit.
---
I heard Dave's missus dragged him to Thursday night Salsa at the church hall this one time. So no. Dave should not compete.
Shame on Dave hiding his dance experience like that. The BBC will gloss over it and make sure he lifts that glitterball, of course.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
This series is still waiting for its 'Hamza's salsa/Jay's jive/Danny's samba' moment. I still think Nigel is the one most likely to deliver it as he has the potential but has been on a bit of a wobbly journey so far and everyone is just waiting for him to dazzle...

Ellie is fantastic, but she seems to be dancing at her peak right now - getting 9 and 10s, doing really brilliant dances - yet they don't quite have that tiny extra bit of magic for me. She reminds me a bit of Louise Redknapp. Really good every week and will continue to be really good every week, get lots of support, but ultimately overshadowed (although Ellie and Vito are much less annoying than Louise and Kevin)

Bobby I think is nowhere near as good as Ellie or Nigel but they will no doubt try and give his CC the big 40 treatment and make out it's the dance of the series 😒

Basically, this series is starting to remind me a lot of 2016

Reactions: 31
You know when JoClif said on Choreography Corner: "Imagine your body is full of eels"? I've just realised that's why the way Bobby moves unnerves me so much - it's like he's nothing but a swarm of eels in a skin suit.
Full of eels and bullshit.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.