Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #18

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I say replace Shirley with Karen Hardy ... She hosts, is an adjudicator, coach and is a judge on the worldwide stage. I've never warmed to Shirley

• Heart
Reactions: 35
Lurking here for the spoiler…need to know if I need to start dropping little hints to my daughter tomorrow so she’s subconsciously prepared for Zara’s departure.

it was quite the night last year when Tony Adam’s had to leave 😬

• Heart
Reactions: 10
What was Motsi on about trying to imply that Nigel makes intentional mistakes? If it was meant to be funny, he certainly didn't think so!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
My favs tonight were Angela S, Layton & Ellie I think, Nigel was alright too .. I really want to love Ellie but I find her a bit forgettable 🙈 maybe it’s been the choreography?! Tonight was great but I won’t remember it in a years time. Why were they green?!

I loved the Black Swan theme for Angela S, I’m not sure on the technicals but I thought it was a really lovely dance! She was very swan like!

Layton was 🔥 tango is one of my least favourite dances, so it didn’t blow me away but christ, it was sexy. Their chemistry is delicious. He might be a ringer but I could watch them all damn day. Also Nikita 🥵 His fearlessness with Layton makes him even hotter I think 😂

Nigel was solid tonight, he’s such a nice man isn’t he!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
The comments on the Strictly insta about Layton are god awful. It’s like he’s the first ringer the show have ever had.. 😵💫 how do people not know the drill by now?!

Reactions: 14
The comments on the Strictly insta about Layton are god awful. It’s like he’s the first ringer the show have ever had.. 😵💫 how do people not know the drill by now?!
He is by far the worst though. No one has come close to his level of experience, and current experience too. Not just from 20 years ago. It does make the whole competition a bit laughable.

He is literally a pro dancer. I don't get how people dont see the difference.

Someone needs to work with Shirley on how to deliver criticism on a light entertainment show. Craig has the right balance of giving honest feedback while also saying something nice and playing up the pantomime villain. Whereas Shirley goes in harsh and it lands horribly. Watching Nigel get progressively more defeated to the point where he looked near tears was not entertainment tonight.

(I know some people like to claim it’s sexism to criticise Shirley but I think that’s bullshit. She comes across as mean, just as she does when she gets pissed off at the audience booing, and it wouldn’t work for a male or female judge. Craig’s liked because he knows how to balance out his criticism with a compliment or a joke whereas Shirley is like getting told off by your least favourite teacher.)
Just caught up and I totally agree. Craig plays to the audience when they boo him - he either laughs along or just goes even further with it. But he stays true to what he has to say. And tbh his scores and comments (mostly) are more valuable than what the other three offer.

Shirl is giving Nigel the treatment she gave Fleur last year. 'It's week whatever and bla bla bla' as she gets annoyed - tonight she was getting annoyed in advance of any audience reaction 'play it back, play it back...' shaddup.

Reactions: 18
Adam vs Zara.
Dave again! well well.
So Krishnan has a vote. And Annabel.
Sad for Zara but tbh it had to happen, not least because being in the B2 was clearly upsetting her so much and she was constantly having to keep asking people to vote for her

Reactions: 13
He is by far the worst though. No one has come close to his level of experience, and current experience too. Not just from 20 years ago. It does make the whole competition a bit laughable.

He is literally a pro dancer.
They’ve had an actual Pussycat Doll on the show. He’s a top class ringer but I’d say they’ve had similar!

Reactions: 13
The thing that really conflicts me with Nigel is, yes, the judges have been very critical of him for a number of weeks.. but... he keeps making bloody mistakes 😬

I totally agree that's it's unfair to hone in on his mistakes and not others, but then, they're not wrong either in pointing his out. I liked his performance tonight, but then, I don't see mistakes unless they're blatantly obvious. Plus I'll take a well performed dance with a few errors over something technically perfect but lacking in joy or entertainment.

I just wonder if that Paso has been a bit of an Albatross around his neck, and the pressure to live up to it is what's causing the problems?

Last edited:
Reactions: 19
They’ve had an actual Pussycat Doll on the show. He’s a top class ringer but I’d say they’ve had similar!
True, but pop dancing is still different. It's also a different type of performance.

He is a former Billy elliot, and a west end performer who has been in very dance heavy musical theatre shows (Inc very recently)with choreography featuring elements of dance strictly does (especially the latin). Plus the storytelling and acting aspect he will be used to.

I was genuinely shocked when his name was first announced.

Reactions: 14
The thing that really conflicts me with Nigel is, yes, the judges have been very critical of him for a number of weeks.. but... he keeps making bloody mistakes 😬

I totally agree that's it's unfair to hone in on his mistakes and not others, but then, they're not wrong either in pointing his out. I liked his performance tonight, but then, I don't see mistakes unless they go obviously wrong. Plus I'll take a well performed dance with a few errors over something technically perfect but lacking in joy or entertainment.

I just wonder if that Paso has been a bit of an Albatross around his neck, and the pressure to live up to it is what's causing the problems?
Agree. That Paso set the bar ridiculously high. He always looks slightly lopsided to me when he dances. And im Someone who was nuts about him in the noughties!

Reactions: 7

I totally agree that's it's unfair to hone in on his mistakes and not others, but then, they're not wrong either in pointing his out. I liked his performance tonight, but then, I don't see mistakes unless they go obviously wrong. Plus I'll take a well performed dance with a few errors over something technically perfect but lacking in joy or entertainment.

I think you’re correct. It’s probably more the delivery of the criticism rather than pointing out the mistakes themselves? They seem to be super negative towards him and with others there’s usually more of a balance in terms of criticism and praise. Anxiety (and probably also anticipating that harsh criticism) can really cause someone to unintentionally self-sabotage. 🙁

I think you’re correct. It’s probably more the delivery of the criticism rather than pointing out the mistakes themselves? They seem to be super negative towards him and with others there’s usually more of a balance in terms of criticism and praise. Anxiety (and probably also anticipating that harsh criticism) can really cause someone to unintentionally self-sabotage. 🙁
Especially since Shirley started with the criticism in week two 😕

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I don't understand people getting arsey with Layton himself. The show cast him - what was he supposed to do, say "Oh gosh, thank you for the opportunity but it would be simply unfair for me to complete - may I recommend my mum's plumber Dave who's never danced a step in his life?"

• Haha
Reactions: 31
Interesting from Dave's poll:
Ellie and Vito 24.09% (12572 votes)
Nigel and Katya 14.49% (7560 votes)
Bobby and Dianne 11.41% (5951 votes)
Layton and Nikita 9.37% (4889 votes)
Angela S and Carlos 9.32% (4863 votes)
Annabel and Johannes 8.46% (4416 votes)
Krishnan and Lauren 7.92% (4134 votes)
Angela R and Kai 7.83% (4088 votes)
Adam and Luba 5.21% (2721 votes)
Zara and Graziano 1.88% (983 votes)

I thought Adam had more support. And interesting Bobby is only 3rd...

• Wow
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.