Strictly Come Dancing 2022 #23

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ellie’s only crime was waffling. I thought she did really well - she had natural rhythm and a lovely partnership with Nikita. She also never used her condition as an excuse or grab for votes (I don’t even remember her mentioning being a paralympian?). She threw herself into the Strictly experience and clearly loved every minute.
I didn't even mind the waffling - it made me like her even more. And she just has a really infectious laugh too - there was a clip last week that Nikita put on his stories of Ellie just chuckling away to herself whilst doing the dishes and then they both just started pissing themselves laughing 😆. I will miss them a lot!

Reactions: 17
Ellie’s only crime was waffling. I thought she did really well - she had natural rhythm and a lovely partnership with Nikita. She also never used her condition as an excuse or grab for votes (I don’t even remember her mentioning being a paralympian?). She threw herself into the Strictly experience and clearly loved every minute.
Absolutely.

And when she talked about how much she loved Strictly, you could tell she really meant it. I think, as I said upthread, there was a lot of genuine emotion about her and Nikita leaving.

Rylan will need to give extra time to their interview tonight 😁

Reactions: 18
Saying Ellie had a terrible attitude is bollocks.

It's one thing disliking someone abd another thing just making up obvious rubbish.

I still don't like Helen but I'm not calling her a nasty cow or a tit dancer because neither is true.

Reactions: 21
Thank the lord Ellie has gone, her technique was dreadful and her attitude even worse. Never disliked a celebrity on SCD so much. Nikita on the other hand, a true gentleman with talent, I hope he gets his chance at the glitter ball next year.
Tyler is so jarring I’d like to see him go next.
Also, katya made a complete fool of herself in the way she berated Tony. She seems a piece of work.

Does anyone have a DS update? I can only imagine the sheer horror at Kai and Nadiya dancing together
@lalalandx21 I'm genuinely intrigued why such vitriol for Ellie S? Is this personal, do you know her in real life? What attitude did you see?

Reactions: 11
Honestly I think there’s a lot of extremely ableist people online masquerading as someone with genuine criticism. I’m always gobsmacked when I hear about the absolutely horrible way disabled people get treated by some people in public, and how rude and patronising some people are. I could never understand treating someone with a disability as anything other than a fellow human-being, who may need certain extra allowances to compensate for their physical disability. But seeing some of the comments I’ve seen online about her and addressed to her, I can see exactly how many horrible ableist pricks there are out there.

Yes completely agree Ellie probably gets awful comments judging by what I've seen online. But I still think it's a bit odd to tell a disabled person that they've taught you how to be empathetic, and it rubs me the wrong way that it's always the disabled contestants that get these comments. Disabled people don't exist to help you become a better person.

And I'm not sure if I've missed something but surely the reason Ellie wanted to do strictly is the same as everyone else, to learn to dance?
I think this argument is redundant, and it makes people scared to communicate with differently able people in fear of ‘saying the wrong thing’. Ellie hasn’t said anything about people being patronising, if she said she felt patronised I’d support her 100% but I also think it’s patronising to speak up for disabled people when they are capable of doing so themselves. It doesn’t really matter what you find odd, it’s what she feels that matters.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Yes completely agree Ellie probably gets awful comments judging by what I've seen online. But I still think it's a bit odd to tell a disabled person that they've taught you how to be empathetic, and it rubs me the wrong way that it's always the disabled contestants that get these comments. Disabled people don't exist to help you become a better person.

And I'm not sure if I've missed something but surely the reason Ellie wanted to do strictly is the same as everyone else, to learn to dance?
To be fair, Nikita was talking in what is his second, possibly third language … so possibly the finer nuances escaped him.

Reactions: 14
To be fair, Nikita was talking in what is his second, possibly third language … so possibly the finer nuances escaped him.
fully agree. maybe “compassion” wasn’t the word he was going for but he expressed himself well and with genuine affection and warmth for her. it didn’t come across as patronising at all and, as said above, i think he’s anything but based on what we’ve seen on the show.

(i think @abelleza has expressed well how i feel about it in general though. ellie can speak for herself and surely would have done. it seems a shame to pick up a word choice from a dance partner who she obviously really bonded with).

Reactions: 12
I think people are forgetting that Nikita would have had a massively different experience dancing and teaching Ellie - having to adapt choreography and learn her way of doing things does take empathy and compassion. I don't think it's a bad thing to acknowledge that and personally didn't see it as him being like "awww, you gave me the sads because you're disabled".

Reactions: 32
I think people are forgetting that Nikita would have had a massively different experience dancing and teaching Ellie - having to adapt choreography and learn her way of doing things does take empathy and compassion. I don't think it's a bad thing to acknowledge that and personally didn't see it as him being like "awww, you gave me the sads because you're disabled".
same! likewise, they obviously spent a huge amount of time with each other outside of the studio (based on their instas with them going for lunch etc). he probably saw, firsthand, how she adapts in general and maybe sometimes how people treat her. like you say, i don’t think it’s a bad or patronising thing to say that experience has given you more compassion or understanding, rather that it’s given an insight into something that he maybe didn’t have direct experience with before.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Absolutely agree, and as I mentioned upthread they described briefly one night early on, a few things that were different for them, as dance partners, because of Ellie's disability.
Just a matter of fact explanation which was very interesting to hear and see.

And they obviously got on so well. I really liked them together.

Reactions: 10
I can't see Nikita, being intentionally patronising, he will have learnt much having to adapt for Ellie etc. And he has genuine warmth and affection in how he spoke of her, very fondly.

There is no way we are making Nikita, a actual angel in human form, any kind of villain for maybe wording what he said in his non-native language a bit badly.

Reactions: 15
Exactly this. It's like when Rose did her dance last year where they turned the music off. We all knew she was deaf but it was like 'omg that is what it's actually like'. I don't think he's saying it to be patronising. I think he genuinely has been given an insight in to Ellie's world and how she has to adapt to what he probably takes for granted.

Reactions: 16
Exactly this. It's like when Rose did her dance last year where they turned the music off. We all knew she was deaf but it was like 'omg that is what it's actually like'. I don't think he's saying it to be patronising. I think he genuinely has been given an insight in to Ellie's world and how she has to adapt to what he probably takes for granted.
Yep - there's a difference between sympathy and empathy.

Reactions: 14
Yep - there's a difference between sympathy and empathy.
Empathy is something that doesn't necessarily come naturally to a lot of people and is a skill that needs to be worked on (just wrote an essay on this so it is very fresh in my mind 😆). Like you say, not the same as showing kindness or sympathy - just literally putting yourself in that person's shoes and really making an effort to see things from their point of view.

And I imagine that it might not even feature in a lot of pros' teaching techniques, especially if they are more the stern type of teacher. And that might work for them and some learners. But I like that Nikita highlighted it

Sorry for waffling - it's something I find very interesting 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 11
God help us, but I think they are trying to shoehorn Molly into a *third* showmance! Times are tough, she's the only young single female etc but give it up, DM!
That poor lass. I know she's 21 but she seems quite young for her age still, and to have all this DM nonsense piled on her must be rather awful, especially on top of the danceoffs.

( I felt dreadful for her last night when she was trying to smile and then started crying in front of the judges, I really hope she gets a fun, uptempo, firecracker of a routine this week, that saccharine/childish theme they keep going to for her is doing the poor lass no favours)

Reactions: 20
I think in general the pros in strictly tend be gushy. What Nikita said for Ellie was no different to what Gio said for Rose - I don’t think either were being patronising.

Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.