Stranger just knocked at door...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you all for the positive feedback regarding the Ring doorbell thingys. 😀 I will definitely be looking into getting one for my daughter. It will give us both peace of mind. 😀👍

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Thank you all for the positive feedback regarding the Ring doorbell thingys. 😀 I will definitely be looking into getting one for my daughter. It will give us both peace of mind. 😀👍
Keep an eye out for Black Friday sales! I got mine last year in the Black Friday sale and it was half price. The model I’ve got was supposed to be £119.99 and I got it for £60 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I really don't know how some people sleep at night! The world is full of scumbags! That must've been terrifying for you, I hope you're okay xx
I hope you are feeling a bit better.
I've had this O2 scam twice , a Halifax one, a phone scam purporting to be from BT and one from a generic ' Internet provider' . People are anxious about Covid/lock down and the loathsome stammers are playing on this- if you are not sure whether it's the real company ring the number on the top of your bill or statement and make sure. Banks will never contact you by text so bear that in mind. Protect yourselves and stay safe ××

Reactions: 1
I hope you are feeling a bit better.
I've had this O2 scam twice , a Halifax one, a phone scam purporting to be from BT and one from a generic ' Internet provider' . People are anxious about Covid/lock down and the loathsome stammers are playing on this- if you are not sure whether it's the real company ring the number on the top of your bill or statement and make sure. Banks will never contact you by text so bear that in mind. Protect yourselves and stay safe ××
It wasn't me that was scammed by the fake O2 scammers. I think it was yoghurtpots 😀

That’s so weird, the same thing happened here! Me and the kids were having an afternoon nap, wasn’t expecting anyone, especially as in lock down. There was a knock at the door, followed by the doorbell ringing several times, ran downstairs to open the door but no-one there. An older guy, sixties maybe, was parked two houses away, and shouted over “is Martin in?” I don’t know who the bloody hell Martin is, but it’s not me and I’ve been here 3 years. The previous tenant wasn’t a Martin either!
How strange we just had this similar experience 👀 Maybe it's the season for it.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
That kind of thing would unnerve me too. It is so random, especially him not elaborating on who Dave might be, i.e., was he a previous occupant, etc.

That’s so weird, the same thing happened here! Me and the kids were having an afternoon nap, wasn’t expecting anyone, especially as in lock down. There was a knock at the door, followed by the doorbell ringing several times, ran downstairs to open the door but no-one there. An older guy, sixties maybe, was parked two houses away, and shouted over “is Martin in?” I don’t know who the bloody hell Martin is, but it’s not me and I’ve been here 3 years. The previous tenant wasn’t a Martin either!
How odd and I do think it is suspicious. Maybe these people are checking to see who you live with, or whether you live alone, etc. 🙄

Had something like this happen earlier in the year. Doorbell rang on a quiet Saturday afternoon, was some burly bloke asking for somebody I've never heard of. Told them we hadn't a clue who he was talking about and mercifully he left there and then.

Sounds innocent enough but I remember feeling really unnerved about the whole thing afterwards, something just seemed really off about it.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Had something like this happen earlier in the year. Doorbell rang on a quiet Saturday afternoon, was some burly bloke asking for somebody I've never heard of. Told them we hadn't a clue who he was talking about and mercifully he left there and then.

Sounds innocent enough but I remember feeling really unnerved about the whole thing afterwards, something just seemed really off about it.
I'm starting to wonder if that is a thing.....Like a scammer thing! Seems a bit of a coincidence it has also happened to other people on here 😲

Reactions: 3
That kind of thing would unnerve me too. It is so random, especially him not elaborating on who Dave might be, i.e., was he a previous occupant, etc.
I know. Anyone with a bit of common sense and decency would elaborate, rather than leave someone feeling a bit unnerved. I know it definitely wasn't a previous occupant and it such a common name, too.

Has anyone ever had a man walking behind them of a night? Perfectly innocent, not up to anything dodgy, but instead of having any kind of awareness that the woman in front of them might feel a bit anxious about having him walking closely behind her, he carries on doing it instead of maybe crossing over or simply excusing himself with a simple. "Sorry, I'll just get past you there."

A friend pulled a bloke up for that once. She was walking to her car in a very dark, lonely area. It was after work, so not very late, but he just kept a steady pace behind her to the point she turned around and politely but firmly asked if he'd like to get passed as he'd been walking behind her for quite a while and she wouldn't want anyone to think he was following a lone woman down a dark road. She said he clearly looked like a businessman and was very sheepish and apologised.

Technically he'd not done anything wrong, but just have that bit of awareness, honestly.

Wow, that is so bizarre. You know. I felt slightly silly when I posted about this because I thought people would just think I was being daft, but it's really one of those strange little occurances that does put you on edge. Especially, because you have no idea if they may knock again.

I'm starting to wonder if that is a thing.....Like a scammer thing! Seems a bit of a coincidence it has also happened to other people on here 😲
Yes, it's definitely a bit dodgy, if you ask me. To just ask for a random person then leave with no further elaboration is so strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Has anyone got the next door app? People always post on ours if anything dodgy has been going and you might be able to find out some more information. There are a lot of busybodies on it but useful for some things.

I know there was talk where I live of where they would call at houses and ask for someone random but it was all to suss out if you have dogs/pets in your house. If you did they would mark your house with chalk and come back to attempt to steal the dog 🥺 quite scary. Also heard of them using a different marker if they thought there was valuables in the house to come back for. It’s been in the local news a lot here recently, they think it’s because there is such a big demand for dogs in lockdown. Heartbreaking

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Has anyone got the next door app? People always post on ours if anything dodgy has been going and you might be able to find out some more information. There are a lot of busybodies on it but useful for some things.
I haven't heard of it but it sounds interesting. Can you tell me more information about it please 🙂

Has anyone ever had a man walking behind them of a night? Perfectly innocent, not up to anything dodgy, but instead of having any kind of awareness that the woman in front of them might feel a bit anxious about having him walking closely behind her, he carries on doing it instead of maybe crossing over or simply excusing himself with a simple. "Sorry, I'll just get past you there."

A friend pulled a bloke up for that once. She was walking to her car in a very dark, lonely area. It was after work, so not very late, but he just kept a steady pace behind her to the point she turned around and politely but firmly asked if he'd like to get passed as he'd been walking behind her for quite a while and she wouldn't want anyone to think he was following a lone woman down a dark road. She said he clearly looked like a businessman and was very sheepish and apologised.

Technically he'd not done anything wrong, but just have that bit of awareness, honestly.
Honestly, I think this is fine to do if you are scared and it will mean this person will think twice about a similar scenario in the future.

Kind of semi related: if you’re unsure if someone is following you, either on foot or in the car, take 3 consecutive right turns. If you’re going in a circle, why is the person behind you also going in a circle!

Reactions: 7
For those who considered pepper spray, please don't. Reason being is i work stupid hours and walk home at 3am/4am as i don't drive and don't have a colleague to take me home. I had pepper spray on me as well as a personal alarm. One day police was patroling the area and stopped to ask me what i was doing (I was walking home after my shift) they saw my pepper spray and asked me to discard it as its classed as an offensive weapon. Had i used it then i would be the one in trouble.
I've bought a Ring doorbell managed to get one for £59.99 in sale. If thats too much money you do have option to pay monthly on Amazon products. I have yet to use it as it only arrived this week.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
I haven't heard of it but it sounds interesting. Can you tell me more information about it please 🙂
just go on whatever App Store you use and it’s called next door. Think you have to make an account but doesn’t take long. Put your postcode in and a load of information comes up about people in your area. Some annoying ones like selling pages but they have a crime section.😄

Our area of town has a Facebook group

For those who considered pepper spray, please don't. Reason being is i work stupid hours and walk home at 3am/4am as i don't drive and don't have a colleague to take me home. I had pepper spray on me as well as a personal alarm. One day police was patroling the area and stopped to ask me what i was doing (I was walking home after my shift) they saw my pepper spray and asked me to discard it as its classed as an offensive weapon. Had i used it then i would be the one in trouble.
I've bought a Ring doorbell managed to get one for £59.99 in sale. If thats too much money you do have option to pay monthly on Amazon products. I have yet to use it as it only arrived this week.
That’s mad women can’t even defend themselves, so wrong!

It's beyond strange. What bothered me even more is I am usually really dubious about answering the door. I'll usually check through a window before I answer but I think as we were on the strictest lockdown at that point and it was light nights you just feel safer.
I know. Anyone with a bit of common sense and decency would elaborate, rather than leave someone feeling a bit unnerved. I know it definitely wasn't a previous occupant and it such a common name, too.

Wow, that is so bizarre. You know. I felt slightly silly when I posted about this because I thought people would just think I was being daft, but it's really one of those strange little occurances that does put you on edge. Especially, because you have no idea if they may knock again.

Yes, it's definitely a bit dodgy, if you ask me. To just ask for a random person then leave with no further elaboration is so strange.
You shouldn't feel silly at all. I think of it as your home is what many of us feel is the safest place on earth, so to feel alarmed there, particularly in the current situation, is frightening.

• Heart
Like a total idiot I opened the door. ‘tit’ I said. ‘There’s a thief in the area? oh and we’ve got the mini digger on hire and all the builders tools. Oh and....’ pretty much reeled off a list of every valuable while I looked around with a torch and a total stranger who’s word I took that he was a neighbour, thinking I was safer with him than from this ‘thief’. Anyway, he leaves again on foot and it dawns on me not only did I pretty much give this guy a tour of our stuff but confirmed I was alone at 2am. He’d said he’d reported it to the police so I ca
That’s mad women can’t even defend themselves, so wrong!
You can defend yourself but it's just tit

Always carry some "everyday object" instead, which can be argued in court as not premeditated to be used as a weapon, e.g hairspray and/or perfume ;)