Stranger just knocked at door...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Brilliant! 😀. I'm so glad someone on here has recommended those because I was considering one of them for my daughter (who lives on her own) but wasn't sure if the adverts were genuine or not. I will definitely be looking into them now 😀. Thank you so much 😀
Blink security cameras are really good too. Motion activated so they send you an alert when activated or you can tap in and monitor them from your phone. They have 2 way audio too. Just need batteries and wi-fi. Black Friday deals so you can get 2 for around £120.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
That sounds so scary. Definitely invest in a ring doorbell. They have good Black Friday deals on.
We got one as my husband works away at times. Means you can answer the door from your phone and look to see who is there without going to the door. You can speak through it aswell. You can also set a motion detector so if someone is nosing outside your house you will get a notification and can see/speak to them.
I remember one day I was working and a random lady we don’t know was looking through our windows/front door and under our doormat. She also parked her car away from our drive and walked down, even tho there was no cars there. It was so freaky. She then went to go round the back of our house but thankfully we had a lock on the gate.
If we didn’t have the ring doorbell I never would have known she was there - the motion detector picked up on it.
what happened? Did you speak to her through the camera? I’m angry just imagining her being so blatant

Reactions: 1
Brilliant! 😀. I'm so glad someone on here has recommended those because I was considering one of them for my daughter (who lives on her own) but wasn't sure if the adverts were genuine or not. I will definitely be looking into them now 😀. Thank you so much 😀
I can also vouch for ring doorbells, I have one and it’s amazing! 100% recommend

Dave is a name used for comic effect. It became a bit of a joke after Trigger in Only Fools And Horses referred to Rodney as Dave. Perhaps the man had a few drinks at an early Christmas do and was pranking around. Surely a burglar would pick a name more plausible than a name that's become a joke, like John or Steve or Laura.

We often get people coming to our door wanting to buy things of Facebook marketplace or gumtree etc but they should be on the same number on another street, but the maps make it look like ours. We sometimes get delivery drivers too.

It could be innocent, 7pm isn't that late , although it is dark . I think suspicious people would have a back story You are right to be cautious

In my experience there’s a few reasons for what happened

1. He genuinely was looking for someone and got the wrong number

2.He was scoping the place out to see who lives there, what security you have (worryingly this is really common, on my neighbourhood fb group people are always posting Ring footage of randoms walking up and down their front path and looking in windows o_O

3. As above but wanted to check if anyone was home before he tried to break in.

If you can invest in a Ring doorbell like other have said that’s a good idea, maybe get a chain for your door if you don’t already have one. It’s likely that you being home scared him off anyway and he moved on to somewhere else, but better to be safe than sorry.

• Heart
I'd definitely check your property for markings etc. Unfortunately, this time of year crime at night time is high due to it obviously being harder to see someone in the dark. It could be entirely innocent, but just for peace of mind I'd be checking for markings (often see stories on FB of people leaving a small chalk line on a front wall or something to indicate a property where somebody is alone, or has a dog etc etc etc).

I'd also definitely recommend a ring doorbell so you can check who's at the door before you answer too!

Reactions: 5
A chain on the door is a really good idea! Super simple & easy to do, I think everyone should have that at very least.

Reactions: 2
what happened? Did you speak to her through the camera? I’m angry just imagining her being so blatant
I was working so unfortunately I didn’t get the motion detector until I was on my break (can’t have my phone at my desk)

if I had of seen it coming through I definitely would have asked what she was doing...can get away with it through the speaker on the doorbell 😂😂😂

They are brilliant 😀 handy if you are away for the day or on holidaytoo. Gives great peace of mind for us 😀

Hi, OP here 😊

Yes, I'm all good. Thank you to those who were concerned ❤ Also, thank you for all the security advice. Much appreciated.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets spooked by things like this. I do, for the most part, think they are genuine mistakes, but would it have killed the bloke to offer up a bit of an explanation if he was genuine? Just a quick, "Oh sorry, doing an ebay pickup and a bit confused about the location, sorry to have disturbed you."

I remember years ago, when I lived with my mum and dad. A weird handwritten note came through the door with my mum's first name on it about the car bump that had happened and signed with a name and number.

My mum called it and some young bloke answered saying his mate had had a minor car bump and this was the name and address the woman driving the other car had given him. Mum asked what this woman looked like, all that was offered up was that she was wearing a uniform/tunic.

Now, my mum did wear a tunic for her work. It was her name. The woman give him our address. But... my mum doesn't even drive!! She explained this but was really freaked out that these men had our address and were saying they'd had a car accident. And just who had given them her details?

She got my dad to ring them later that evening. Just to try and clarify what this was about and so they knew a man lived here. They seemed to get a bit rattled and started saying they could come and put a brick through our window if they wanted!

Mum is totally stressed. Then at 11.30pm that night, there was a knock on the door and it was these men! They were civil but had clearly come to check out the car in the drive (my dad's) to see if it was the same car they'd had this supposed bump with and to check whether my mum was the woman.

She said when she answered the door he turned to his mate, who was in the car, and his mate shook his head, as much as to say, no that's not her.

It was a total mystery. But for days later my mum would lurk by the window and have an instant heart attack whenever a car would pull up 😥 It's cases of mistake identity that I tend to find the most alarming.

But no, I never answer the door to anyone I don't know no matter what the time of day. There are plenty of opportunists around just looking to see who lives there.

Oh, and no, I don't have a dog. I have two cats, but I'm fairly certain one if them would rip someone's face off if she got the chance 😂

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I know exactly how you feel. My daughter lives at the edge of a woodland area so when you look out the back of her house it is pitch black!! I mean, it is so dark you cannot see anything at all, just total darkness! I live in a culdesac that is well lit with lots of street lamps so I feel quite safe but I very often lie at night and think of my daughter asleep in her house on her own and imagine all sorts of things! The back of her house is a public walkway so anyone can access it! It's even worse now the winter is coming 🙁. Like you, it creeps me out and I'm always on edge. I worry so much about her. 🙁
Ah I really feel for you 😔 my sister used to work in a bar in her uni days in Edinburgh 4 hours away from me. She’d happily walk home at 3/4am in the dark when no one was about and I was always worrying about her even though she didn’t seem too bothered 😂 I’m sure your daughter will be fine but I know it doesn’t ease the worry sometimes 😔

Hi, OP here 😊

Yes, I'm all good. Thank you to those who were concerned ❤ Also, thank you for all the security advice. Much appreciated.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets spooked by things like this. I do, for the most part, think they are genuine mistakes, but would it have killed the bloke to offer up a bit of an explanation if he was genuine? Just a quick, "Oh sorry, doing an ebay pickup and a bit confused about the location, sorry to have disturbed you."

I remember years ago, when I lived with my mum and dad. A weird handwritten note came through the door with my mum's first name on it about the car bump that had happened and signed with a name and number.

My mum called it and some young bloke answered saying his mate had had a minor car bump and this was the name and address the woman driving the other car had given him. Mum asked what this woman looked like, all that was offered up was that she was wearing a uniform/tunic.

Now, my mum did wear a tunic for her work. It was her name. The woman give him our address. But... my mum doesn't even drive!! She explained this but was really freaked out that these men had our address and were saying they'd had a car accident. And just who had given them her details?

She got my dad to ring them later that evening. Just to try and clarify what this was about and so they knew a man lived here. They seemed to get a bit rattled and started saying they could come and put a brick through our window if they wanted!

Mum is totally stressed. Then at 11.30pm that night, there was a knock on the door and it was these men! They were civil but had clearly come to check out the car in the drive (my dad's) to see if it was the same car they'd had this supposed bump with and to check whether my mum was the woman.

She said when she answered the door he turned to his mate, who was in the car, and his mate shook his head, as much as to say, no that's not her.

It was a total mystery. But for days later my mum would lurk by the window and have an instant heart attack whenever a car would pull up 😥 It's cases of mistake identity that I tend to find the most alarming.

But no, I never answer the door to anyone I don't know no matter what the time of day. There are plenty of opportunists around just looking to see who lives there.

Oh, and no, I don't have a dog. I have two cats, but I'm fairly certain one if them would rip someone's face off if she got the chance 😂
hopefully it was a genuine mistake and just got the wrong door it was probably innocent but it’s horrible when thoughts run away with you thinking it’s something bad. I don’t even answer the door in the day on my own unless it’s the postman or someone delivering. I’d never answer the door at night even if my car is on drive and lights are on 😂 I’m not taking chances.

On my own at night in bed I’ll sometimes plan in my head what to do if someone breaks in😂😂 I’m always relieved when my boyfriend is back home on a Friday lol.

Reactions: 3
I live alone and have a ring doorbell. They are really good for peace of mind ☺ I also got a sign for the gate that says ‘beware of the dog’ 😂 even though I don’t have a dog. I also have a sign on the door that says no cold callers. That definitely cuts down on random people knocking on my door, I think.

Reactions: 11
Ring doorbell is a must!

Even just to dispute those parcels that they say were delivered, that never were!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
That’s so weird, the same thing happened here! Me and the kids were having an afternoon nap, wasn’t expecting anyone, especially as in lock down. There was a knock at the door, followed by the doorbell ringing several times, ran downstairs to open the door but no-one there. An older guy, sixties maybe, was parked two houses away, and shouted over “is Martin in?” I don’t know who the bloody hell Martin is, but it’s not me and I’ve been here 3 years. The previous tenant wasn’t a Martin either!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I had a message from the ‘DVLA’ saying I had a refund due, mate I don’t even have a license 😂 and keep getting fake DPD delivery emails saying failed to deliver, click this link to rearrange delivery time! It’s definitely increased since the beginning of lockdown! I reckon they think we’re all more vulnerable these days!

Ring doorbells definitely seem to be the way to go. My neighbours have one (bought for around £30 on Amazon) and the quality is excellent.

I never answer the door because where I live nine times out of ten it's a cold caller and I just couldn't be bothered. My husband ALWAYS answers it, despite me telling him not too. He then comes back in and has a rant about the cold caller that he just answered the door too :rolleyes:

I'll know if it's any of my neighbours because we'll usually sent a message saying 'Just me at the door'.

Ring has an app for use on your mobile.

Or you can just sign in on a laptop/desktop and just minimise the page, so it's still open.

Just dont answer the door, I dont unless I know whos there. I can see through the window though during the day. No chance of me opening the door on a night.