Stranger just knocked at door...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
About 30 mins ago there was a knock at my front door. I don't expect anyone to knock at this time, and as it's pitch black out, I went to the window to see who it was. It was some bloke who I've never seen before.

I asked him what he wanted and he said he was sorry to bother me but did anyone called Dave live here (no, it wasn't Papa Lazarou for any League of Gentleman fans šŸ˜‚) I said there wasn't and he acknowledged that and went back down the path into his car and drove off.

I had a nosey down the path. I live in a very long, straight road, and he didn't stop anywhere else.

Now, I'm on my own and I watch too much true crime in Netflix, but does anyone else find things like this a bit weird?

He could have stopped at other houses before mine - but Dave is such a common name that it's likely someone will be called it if he's knocking at lots of housed - What then?

Maybe he was buying something from Dave but why the hell knock on my door? And why not offer up a bit more info if your knocking on a stranger's house?

I think I'm a bit worried my address has been given to someone randomly who could be a bit dodgy or something.

Anyone else ever had anything similar?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Wow that sounds scary. Iā€™m the same as you, I donā€™t open the door if I donā€™t know them. I look on the camera and if itā€™s not someone I know, I donā€™t even move sometimes in the hope theyā€™ll leave... or sometimes Iā€™ll open the first porch door and shout through the other one ā€œwhat do you want?ā€ My MIL laughs at me, but I watch a lot of crime shows!

I always remember once when I lived with my mum some man banged on the door so hard and was shouting through the letter box, ā€œopen the bleeping door now you bleep, I know youā€™re in thereā€. Me and my mum crapped ourselves, anyway next minute he came back and shouted ā€œsorry, wrong house, really sorry.ā€ And drove off...we think itā€™s because we lived on a big long lane and a half way down the numbers go back to the start, but it changes to a different lane name, so we are guessing he got the wrong 70.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
Wow that sounds scary. Iā€™m the same as you, I donā€™t open the door if I donā€™t know them. I look on the camera and if itā€™s not someone I know, I donā€™t even move sometimes in the hope theyā€™ll leave... or sometimes Iā€™ll open the first porch door and shout through the other one ā€œwhat do you want?ā€ My MIL laughs at me, but I watch a lot of crime shows!

I always remember once when I lived with my mum some man banged on the door so hard and was shouting through the letter box, ā€œopen the bleeping door now you bleep, I know youā€™re in thereā€. Me and my mum crapped ourselves, anyway next minute he came back and shouted ā€œsorry, wrong house, really sorry.ā€ And drove off...we think itā€™s because we lived on a big long lane and a half way down the numbers go back to the start, but it changes to a different lane name, so we are guessing he got the wrong 70.
I know it shouldn't have but that last bit really made me laugh. Just the fact he popped back to apologise.

• Haha
Reactions: 34
About 30 mins ago there was a knock at my front door. I don't expect anyone to knock at this time, and as it's pitch black out, I went to the window to see who it was. It was some bloke who I've never seen before.

I asked him what he wanted and he said he was sorry to bother me but did anyone called Dave live here (no, it wasn't Papa Lazarou for any League of Gentleman fans šŸ˜‚) I said there wasn't and he acknowledged that and went back down the path into his car and drove off.

I had a nosey down the path. I live in a very long, straight road, and he didn't stop anywhere else.

Now, I'm on my own and I watch too much true crime in Netflix, but does anyone else find things like this a bit weird?

He could have stopped at other houses before mine - but Dave is such a common name that it's likely someone will be called it if he's knocking at lots of housed - What then?

Maybe he was buying something from Dave but why the hell knock on my door? And why not offer up a bit more info if your knocking on a stranger's house?

I think I'm a bit worried my address has been given to someone randomly who could be a bit dodgy or something.

I got a shiver down my spine reading your post ! šŸ˜²šŸ˜Ÿ. You were right to be cautious though. You cant be too careful nowadays

Reactions: 10
This has never happened to me, but I would say ā€œsorry no Dave hereā€ and then as youā€™re closing the door and heā€™s leaving, say really loudly to your ā€˜husbandā€™ behind the door ā€œoh just a man asking if a Dave lived hereā€

so he thinks youā€™re not alone

• Heart
Reactions: 37

I accidentally gave all my personal details to a scammer (address, name, bank details), he rang me last night and said if I don't hand over my online banking information that he is going to come to my billing address and kill me šŸ˜« had police involved who told me to lock doors and windows and not be by myself! They also put my house on red alert and said to ring them if I see anyone outside my house.
So I can totally understand your fear and paranoia and why you would be worried.
I am investing in a ring door bell so I can screen who is at my door. Would you consider that? Also the usual locked doors and windows. I am also buying pepper spray from next door from my work as I want some form of self defense (I am a 5.2 woman with zero strength). I also have a button alarm next to my front door. My advice is to up your security and have a plan to defend yourself. I know its not a nice thing to have to think about but if you don't feel safe then make steps to feel secure.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
I accidentally gave all my personal details to a scammer (address, name, bank details), he rang me last night and said if I don't hand over my online banking information that he is going to come to my billing address and kill me šŸ˜« had police involved who told me to lock doors and windows and not be by myself! They also put my house on red alert and said to ring them if I see anyone outside my house.
So I can totally understand your fear and paranoia and why you would be worried.
I am investing in a ring door bell so I can screen who is at my door. Would you consider that? Also the usual locked doors and windows. I am also buying pepper spray from next door from my work as I want some form of self defense (I am a 5.2 woman with zero strength). I also have a button alarm next to my front door. My advice is to up your security and have a plan to defend yourself. I know its not a nice thing to have to think about but if you don't feel safe then make steps to feel secure.
If you donā€™t mind me asking, how did you give those details out to a scammer? Iā€™ve had a lot of alerts to online database leaks of late so Iā€™m REAL paranoid about all this right now.

Reactions: 3
If you donā€™t mind me asking, how did you give those details out to a scammer? Iā€™ve had a lot of alerts to online database leaks of late so Iā€™m REAL paranoid about all this right now.
I recieved a text message telling me that my 02 bill hadn't been paid and to click the link and pay it. It made sense to me because my business account had froze my money due to not updating my company details (I mean how scary is that, that the bank can just turn your money off and give you no access! Scary thought if we become cashless). So I clicked on the link from 'O2' and it looked genuinely like 02s website. It asked me to put in my bank details to get it paid which I did (as by this point Natwest had allowed me access to my money). Then after I'd 'paid' it transferred me to the real 02 site which was when I realised I had been scammed. It just clicked. I informed bank etc. Scammers have been ringing me since, they can even clone the banks phone number so be careful guys! They nearly had me again haha. Anyways, I am switched on now and because of this they threatened to come to my house and kill me. Thankfully I have my husband so that gives me a bit of security but I feel so sorry for the elderly. It really is terrifying and intimidating to have somebody, a stranger threaten you for money. I am glad I'm not on sm and that they don't know my childrens name etc as I think if they threatened them I would just hand over everything! Its a scary world guysšŸ˜«

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
I recieved a text message telling me that my 02 bill hadn't been paid and to click the link and pay it. It made sense to me because my business account had froze my money due to not updating my company details (I mean how scary is that, that the bank can just turn your money off and give you no access! Scary thought if we become cashless). So I clicked on the link from 'O2' and it looked genuinely like 02s website. It asked me to put in my bank details to get it paid which I did (as by this point Natwest had allowed me access to my money). Then after I'd 'paid' it transferred me to the real 02 site which was when I realised I had been scammed. It just clicked. I informed bank etc. Scammers have been ringing me since, they can even clone the banks phone number so be careful guys! They nearly had me again haha. Anyways, I am switched on now and because of this they threatened to come to my house and kill me. Thankfully I have my husband so that gives me a bit of security but I feel so sorry for the elderly. It really is terrifying and intimidating to have somebody, a stranger threaten you for money. I am glad I'm not on sm and that they don't know my childrens name etc as I think if they threatened them I would just hand over everything! Its a scary world guysšŸ˜«
I really don't know how some people sleep at night! The world is full of scumbags! That must've been terrifying for you, I hope you're okay xx

Reactions: 18
I had one of those texts about three months back! I actually used to be with o2, but I switched about a year ago. I canā€™t believe they rang you and threatened you, that is terrifying and absolutely awful. I knew that they could impersonate other numbers as my partner works in IT and he can do it as well, itā€™s quite an easy thing to do, itā€™s so scary. You canā€™t trust anything these days.

You even have to be careful googling the numbers for places. I used to work for an airline and we had quite a few customers ring up saying that they had found our number online and rang it, but they had realised half way through the call that it wasnā€™t us and that they had been scammed. Basically they had been booking flights or whatever and the person had impersonated us and made it all sound genuine and then had took card details, theyā€™d even told people that their cards had been declined and had asked them to use others, which they did. The problem was because it was a big airline, the call centre could get very busy, so customers would google numbers for us to see if they could find a secret number to get through quicker. Scary stuff.

• Wow
My first thought would be someone looking to steal a dog. It is happening a scary amount in rural areas atm. If he knocked and a dog had barked, he would know you had one and potentially they would come back to try and take. If you do have a dog please keep it safe and check outside the property for any markings left

• Wow
  • Sad
I really want OP to come back and update us that sheā€™s fine šŸ˜­
[/QUOTE]
Yes, me too šŸ‘Œā¤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
That sounds so scary. Definitely invest in a ring doorbell. They have good Black Friday deals on.
We got one as my husband works away at times. Means you can answer the door from your phone and look to see who is there without going to the door. You can speak through it aswell. You can also set a motion detector so if someone is nosing outside your house you will get a notification and can see/speak to them.
I remember one day I was working and a random lady we donā€™t know was looking through our windows/front door and under our doormat. She also parked her car away from our drive and walked down, even tho there was no cars there. It was so freaky. She then went to go round the back of our house but thankfully we had a lock on the gate.
If we didnā€™t have the ring doorbell I never would have known she was there - the motion detector picked up on it.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
Oh this creeps me out. As someone who watches too many true crime shows and partner works away in the week Iā€™m constantly on edge. I donā€™t sleep properly at all when Iā€™m on my own. Hope youā€™re ok OP šŸ˜Š

Oh this creeps me out. As someone who watches too many true crime shows and partner works away in the week Iā€™m constantly on edge. I donā€™t sleep properly at all when Iā€™m on my own. Hope youā€™re ok OP šŸ˜Š
I know exactly how you feel. My daughter lives at the edge of a woodland area so when you look out the back of her house it is pitch black!! I mean, it is so dark you cannot see anything at all, just total darkness! I live in a culdesac that is well lit with lots of street lamps so I feel quite safe but I very often lie at night and think of my daughter asleep in her house on her own and imagine all sorts of things! The back of her house is a public walkway so anyone can access it! It's even worse now the winter is coming šŸ™. Like you, it creeps me out and I'm always on edge. I worry so much about her. šŸ™

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
If this happens again, call 101 and log it and ask if theyā€™ve had any other reports in your area. Check your property too for any chalk marks etc
Is your house in a row or fairly unique? Itā€™s odd they didnā€™t stop elsewhere but they could have perhaps rechecked the address at the car and realised their mistake.

Iā€™m very rural, very few homes, far apart. Few years ago Iā€™m living on a building site as we renovate, a fella knocked at my door about 2am (lights were on, I was up), scared and out of breath. Glass door so he could see me & says through it ā€˜has anyone ran up this way? I live (a few houses away) Someoneā€™s just stolen my trailerā€™.
Like a total idiot I opened the door. ā€˜titā€™ I said. ā€˜Thereā€™s a thief in the area? oh and weā€™ve got the mini digger on hire and all the builders tools. Oh and....ā€™ pretty much reeled off a list of every valuable while I looked around with a torch and a total stranger whoā€™s word I took that he was a neighbour, thinking I was safer with him than from this ā€˜thiefā€™. Anyway, he leaves again on foot and it dawns on me not only did I pretty much give this guy a tour of our stuff but confirmed I was alone at 2am. Heā€™d said heā€™d reported it to the police so I called 101 who confirmed they did have such a report on file and he was legit, thank God.
Honestly one of the most stupid things Iā€™ve ever done but even a cynical, trust no one person like me, without time to think just took it at face value. Itā€™s easily done!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
That sounds so scary. Definitely invest in a ring doorbell. They have good Black Friday deals on.
We got one as my husband works away at times. Means you can answer the door from your phone and look to see who is there without going to the door. You can speak through it aswell. You can also set a motion detector so if someone is nosing outside your house you will get a notification and can see/speak to them.
I remember one day I was working and a random lady we donā€™t know was looking through our windows/front door and under our doormat. She also parked her car away from our drive and walked down, even tho there was no cars there. It was so freaky. She then went to go round the back of our house but thankfully we had a lock on the gate.
If we didnā€™t have the ring doorbell I never would have known she was there - the motion detector picked up on it.
Brilliant! šŸ˜€. I'm so glad someone on here has recommended those because I was considering one of them for my daughter (who lives on her own) but wasn't sure if the adverts were genuine or not. I will definitely be looking into them now šŸ˜€. Thank you so much šŸ˜€

Reactions: 5