Stories that are horribly fascinating

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reactions: 2
I thought this was solved ?
Maybe as solved as it’s ever going to be. Pieces of the plane have washed ashore. Best theory is that the captain was suicidal and was able to evade detection systems until he was far out over the southern Indian Ocean, at which point the plane ran out of fuel and crashed. Inmarsat engineers applied physics to determine the rough location of the crash site, but searches were all eventually called off.

Reactions: 5
Maybe as solved as it’s ever going to be. Pieces of the plane have washed ashore. Best theory is that the captain was suicidal and was able to evade detection systems until he was far out over the southern Indian Ocean, at which point the plane ran out of fuel and crashed. Inmarsat engineers applied physics to determine the rough location of the crash site, but searches were all eventually called off.
I just can’t get over these pilots that decide the way to die is to take hundreds of innocent lives with them. Sits really uncomfortably with me as I have so much time and compassion for mental health and suicide but acts like this are just so incredibly selfish and dare I say evil.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I just can’t get over these pilots that decide the way to die is to take hundreds of innocent lives with them. Sits really uncomfortably with me as I have so much time and compassion for mental health and suicide but acts like this are just so incredibly selfish and dare I say evil.

Same I hate to say it but I used to have a huge amount of respect for pilots but now you just never know what they're thinking, and I know flying is the safest way to travel but if that were the case I personally believe planes would've been made safer decades ago. Just my personal opinion.

I hate to say it but I used to have a huge amount of respect for pilots but now you just never know what they're thinking, and I know flying is the safest way to travel but if that were the case I personally believe planes would've been made safer decades ago. Just my personal opinion.
My husband is a pilot, and from my experience with him and our friends in the industry I feel like not enough is done to help pilots and their MH. They seem to live in fear of getting anything on their record, for eg, I feel that if they were feeling low they wouldn't dare have time off and ask for help. They would fear it would show up and be a red flag. But how is this right? They aren't getting the right support in that case. My husband is lucky and he hasn't suffered with his MH,and if he did ,he does have me to turn to and would support him. I'm a big advocate for men's MH and so I also keep an eye on the men around me as I feel they dont speak up as much. My husband for years worked for a well known family airline- one you've all probably travelled on, and they just don't seem to care about the pilots MH at all. Terrifying. He's now on a cargo airline and they are much better in their attitude to MH.
Before he left though, a young pilot who was 33 and recently married committed suicide whilst he was training to be captain. The poor soul didn't take anyone else with him...but imagine if his head did go there?? Again, terrifying. Why didn't he ask for help? Was he scared it would go against him in regards to becoming captain? Was there anyone he could talk to?
Another pilot in the same company killed his wife in an impulsuve act of rage and blamed it on alot of stress....these men (and women, but I beilive women open up more) can really suffer with their mental work loads and having a company and industry that doesn't seem to care is shocking.
Anyway, just my opinion- there may be lots if pilots out there who feel they've had help, but in my experience iv never seen it.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The Dupont de Ligonnès murders and disappearance. I can’t make up my mind what happened. The most obvious answer is the father did it but there are discrepancies that don’t add up.

The Dupont de Ligonnès murders and disappearance. I can’t make up my mind what happened. The most obvious answer is the father did it but there are discrepancies that don’t add up.
Oh I know this one, but I had forgotten about it! Here is the background of the case:

This is a notated photograph Xavier was said to have sent the police in 2015 (“I am still alive”):

Reactions: 1
There are some I can’t get out of my head, Brianna Lopez that someone upthread mentioned. Happened in my hometown. The mother was paroled after 13 years and the father due for parole next year. I remember hearing the case on the radio and thinking if anyone should’ve been given the death penalty it was those animals.

The other one was a lesser known case that happened in North Carolina, 5 year old Shaniya Davis. The mother gave her daughter to a man to settle a $200 debt. When she wound up sexually assaulted and murdered and tossed by the side of a country road, the reply from the mother was that he was only supposed to have had sex with her. The police had released a photo of him carrying her at a hotel, absolutely chilling. At least he got the death penalty.

Stuff like this really makes you wonder about humanity.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
What were the discrepancies?
For instance the police said the Mum was officially killed April 3rd or 4th, however a neighbour of the de Ligonnès family says he saw her walking the family dogs on the 5th and 7th of April. The neighbour remembers not having much time to speak with her because she picked up her son from the nanny every Thursday evening. A hairdresser says she saw the mum on the 5th and a sale assistant says she saw her on the 7th.

Another issue is that where the family were found the low head room would mean the dad would have banged his head or at least rubbed it on the ceiling but there was no DNA found there. The dad had back and neck problems which meant he wouldn’t have been able to do the task. His sister says there was no displaced earth was found in the garden, in which case the Dad would have had to have used a tarpaulin, move 5 tons of earth by hand, and left absolutely no trace of this earth. The place where the bodies were was also covered by fresh cement which wasn’t dry - however there is a paper trail and I believe sightings that show the Dad had left a week earlier.

The heights and weights of the bodies allegedly do not match up with what is known about them. The autopsy says that they were killed 10-21 days before they were found which wouldn’t add up with their schedules (such as school, work). The bodies were identified by DNA because their faces were unrecognisable but the DNA only proved that they shared the same DNA, they didn’t compare the DNA with the Mum’s family and other extended family members. The bodies were cremated only a week after they were found. Their death certificates were made right on site which is quite unusual.

I think quite a few things can be explained through poor police work, bad practice on the part of the coroner and the fact the Dad used lime which could have changed the bodies appearances. It’s a bit of a confusing case!

• Heart
For instance the police said the Mum was officially killed April 3rd or 4th, however a neighbour of the de Ligonnès family says he saw her walking the family dogs on the 5th and 7th of April. The neighbour remembers not having much time to speak with her because she picked up her son from the nanny every Thursday evening. A hairdresser says she saw the mum on the 5th and a sale assistant says she saw her on the 7th.

Another issue is that where the family were found the low head room would mean the dad would have banged his head or at least rubbed it on the ceiling but there was no DNA found there. The dad had back and neck problems which meant he wouldn’t have been able to do the task. His sister says there was no displaced earth was found in the garden, in which case the Dad would have had to have used a tarpaulin, move 5 tons of earth by hand, and left absolutely no trace of this earth. The place where the bodies were was also covered by fresh cement which wasn’t dry - however there is a paper trail and I believe sightings that show the Dad had left a week earlier.

The heights and weights of the bodies allegedly do not match up with what is known about them. The autopsy says that they were killed 10-21 days before they were found which wouldn’t add up with their schedules (such as school, work). The bodies were identified by DNA because their faces were unrecognisable but the DNA only proved that they shared the same DNA, they didn’t compare the DNA with the Mum’s family and other extended family members. The bodies were cremated only a week after they were found. Their death certificates were made right on site which is quite unusual.

I think quite a few things can be explained through poor police work, bad practice on the part of the coroner and the fact the Dad used lime which could have changed the bodies appearances. It’s a bit of a confusing case!
I think there are weird inconsistencies by a lot of it is the sister refusing to believe the Dad cold have done it so picking up on explainable events.
Some things I got the impression that they were relying on a lack of evidence to cast doubt. So no DNA on the low head height, if it wasn’t him then someone should have left some or they took steps to remove it, which he could also have done himself. And the moving the earth thing, someone’s done it undetected so why not him? I think shoddy police work and ineffective forensics are at play here.

It’s a bit like the Kendrick Johnson thing where the lad fell into the gym mat and died. The family refuses to believe it and investigates further. It uncovers that some dodgy tit went down and makes it all the more bizarre but it doesn’t change the basic facts of the case.

Reactions: 7