Stories that are horribly fascinating

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
For me:
(Learned about that one on the titanic submersible thread)

Junko Furuta story is very scary. Real deep into the black widow's web type stuff. To think all it took was one rejection. Extremely horrible fate and I cannot believe she died on new year's day that's incredibly saddening.

I personally feel the Szondi test is quite fascinating to me. It's interactive too so you can try it out with others

Reactions: 10
Great thread - Nutty Putty and Omayra Sanchez have been obsessions of mine at different times. Apparently the video for Pompeii by Bastille is inspired partly by Omayra.

A few for now

I had this is a 'book of mysteries' as a child complete with pictures of their bodies - so weird to think of now. I guess they have explained it since.

and all others who jumped

• Heart
Reactions: 9
These are some decent reads.

I was a bit worried that people would be posting the "52 entrances to hell!!!!" shite.

Let's be honest they're just derelict buildings with some frisky bag heads inside.
---

Theres a decent documentary on these if you look. Not horrible but fascinating IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
^^ I'm having trouble understanding what the Toynbee Tiles are about, but I find them more mysterious than fascinating

There is also a story about a lady called Joyce Vincent which stayed with me for years. It was basically a young woman who lay undiscovered dead in her apartment for a couple of years before anyone found her, and this was because she was estranged from any family and didn't have any close friends or friends living close by. No one in the building ever checked her apartment and people assumed she was alive in there because her tv was left on and all her bills were automatic payments. She must have not had any trash the day she died because no one reported smells of any kind emanating from her apartment neither.

Now, it may not be too fascinating but stories like this captivate me because it riddles human cruelty and neglect all in one. To think that some people become isolated for so long that no one even questions their existence anymore is both bizarre and terrifying. It could literally happen to anyone. And to this day many more stories of this nature have been coming out, there's just something gross and inhumane about it.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 19
Great thread - Nutty Putty and Omayra Sanchez have been obsessions of mine at different times. Apparently the video for Pompeii by Bastille is inspired partly by Omayra.

A few for now

I had this is a 'book of mysteries' as a child complete with pictures of their bodies - so weird to think of now. I guess they have explained it since.

and all others who jumped
June and Jennifer are from my town, I was in school with their nieces and nephews

Reactions: 8
^^ I'm having trouble understanding what the Toynbee Tiles are about, but I find them more mysterious than fascinating

There is also a story about a lady called Joyce Vincent which stayed with me for years. It was basically a young woman who lay undiscovered dead in her apartment for a couple of years before anyone found her, and this was because she was estranged from any family and didn't have any close friends or friends living close by. No one in the building ever checked her apartment and people assumed she was alive in there because her tv was left on and all her bills were automatic payments. She must have not had any trash the day she died because no one reported smells of any kind emanating from her apartment neither.

Now, it may not be too fascinating but stories like this captivate me because it riddles human cruelty and neglect all in one. To think that some people become isolated for so long that no one even questions their existence anymore is both bizarre and terrifying. It could literally happen to anyone. And to this day many more stories of this nature have been coming out, there's just something gross and inhumane about it.

I think I have read Joyce‘s story before, but seeing all the harrowing details in the wiki makes it so hard to compute…the fact she was surrounded by Christmas presents she had wrapped and that the TV was on for the whole two years. The banality of that scene (but also…the humanity - a person wrapping presents is a person with hopes and dreams for the future) is absolutely galling. And she was so beautiful. What a hard case to get over.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
June and Jennifer are from my town, I was in school with their nieces and nephews
Oh wow - I first heard about them through the Manic Street Preachers song Tsunami and have read the book since. Such a shame they couldn't live peacefully together.

Reactions: 5
@HairyBerries I was transfixed by Joyce's story and watched dreams of a life when it came out - she'd been in a DV relationship, I was in one at the time, but still in a good job and slowly realising I had to get out, I thought that would be me.

The Rasputin of the bronx always interested me, from speakeasy days. Think he was called Mike Malloy. Bunch of crooks tried concertedly to kill him to collect an insurance payout but he was virtually indestructible. Eventually they managed, got caught, and were sent to sing sing.

Oslo plaza woman was fascinating. Also the woman whose name escapes me now so I'll find it and come back to edit...another case where they never established identity EDIT: Isdal woman

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
The Lindbergh Baby Kidnapping has always held a grim fascination:
Lindbergh kidnapping - Wikipedia

Also, I always found the Elisa Lam suicide/murder weirdly fascinating (especially the CCTV from the elevtor):
Death of Elisa Lam - Wikipedia

Finally, the Roanoke Colony vanishing is just a strange tale from America's history:
Roanoke Colony - Wikipedia

Elisa Lam was huge when it came out, did you ever have a theory on what happened to her? A lot of elements pointed to a psychotic break.

Elisa Lam was huge when it came out, did you ever have a theory on what happened to her? A lot of elements pointed to a psychotic break.
Yeah, the main theory seems to be she had a psychotic break of some sort. Imagining people were chasing her, hiding on the roof in the water tank to get away, etc. It all just seems very strange, though, doesn't it? Poor woman.

I strongly recommend not looking up the video of this incident. I saw it a couple of years back because the YouTube algorithm put it right there on my homepage. I wish I could unsee it.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
I strongly recommend not looking up the video of this incident. I saw it a couple of years back because the YouTube algorithm put it right there on my homepage. I wish I could unsee it.

That poor woman; she had no chance. You can see she tries to stop herself at the very last moment but it's too late.
I can't believe that's still on YouTube!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
That poor woman; she had no chance. You can see she tries to stop herself at the very last moment but it's too late.
I can't believe that's still on YouTube!
Yeah…I just don’t know why everyone was ignoring all the warnings. If anything good comes of that video, it’s that one who sees it will act so recklessly at a crossing afterward :confused:

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Genie

Helios Airways Flight 522 - video available: search Helios 522: how a single switch killed 122 passengers (Real Horror)

Byford Dolphin diving bell accident - video: search Diver explains the Byford Dolphin disaster (Waterline Stories)
Genie has long fascinated me. It sounds awful but I have never understood why they kept her alive so long like that. Like if she was so unwanted why not just let her die? Psychologically it's very interesting. I think of her a lot, especially since I had my own child.

Reactions: 10
The Junko Furuta story is awful and so upsetting. I’d not heard of it before. That poor girl.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9