“Spiking” in bars and clubs

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As a student, I wouldn't class drinking at the bar as any safer. Bar men and members of the public can still spike drinks.
Is she saying she was drugged with multiple different drugs in a needle? Again, hard to believe.
I think she was spiked but who hasn't come home with a bruise after a night out?

Reactions: 4
As a student, I wouldn't class drinking at the bar as any safer. Bar men and members of the public can still spike drinks.
Is she saying she was drugged with multiple different drugs in a needle? Again, hard to believe.
I think she was spiked but who hasn't come home with a bruise after a night out?
I guess she means that they stood at the bar so they weren't moving around with their cups and could be more focussed on making sure nobody managed to sneak something into their drinks which would be easier in the middle of the dance floor if they're waving the cup about. I'm not an expert on what these injections consist of and what is possible to put in them. Pills and stuff can be mixed with various things so I wonder if the injections can be too. That bruise looks really suspicious to me - it really does look like she's been injected and I've seen other girls post similar looking pictures too so for me, it isn't just a coincidence that girls are being spiked and ending up with an injection-like scratch and bruise.

Reactions: 8
Thinking about this subject has just reminded me of the Harry Kane arrest in Mykonos? (I think it was).
Didn't his sister Daisy accuse a man (who was trying to chat her up) of trying to inject her with something?
Then it all kicked off with Harry basically trying to defend his sister yet getting arrested and intimidated by the police himself?
Scary bloody stuff if you ask me?
The police trying basically to frame him as the aggressor and not taking Daisy Kane seriously?

Is this the start of a new and disturbing trend do you think? What a horrible thought?
Actually reading this thread was an education for me and jogged my memory (of the above incident) which as I said wasn't taken very seriously! :mad:
I admit I believed in the beginning that this was not very common and that the media were maybe trying to create panic around the whole issue but I am starting to realise it's maybe more common than we'd like to believe and I just think it's horrendous for the poor women involved.
It must be terrifying to have that happen and be left so vulnerable and open to abuse.🙁
Let's hope that the media coverage increases awareness of this terrible crime and that the authorities take it seriously.

I do not believe girls are being spiked with a needle.
Drink spiking yes.
Needle spiking, extremely unlikely.
Why? I know just your opinion but I’m just wonder why you don’t believe it?

Thinking about this subject has just reminded me of the Harry Kane arrest in Mykonos? (I think it was).
Didn't his sister Daisy accuse a man (who was trying to chat her up) of trying to inject her with something?
Then it all kicked off with Harry basically trying to defend his sister yet getting arrested and intimidated by the police himself?
Scary bloody stuff if you ask me?
The police trying basically to frame him as the aggressor and not taking Daisy Kane seriously?

Is this the start of a new and disturbing trend do you think? What a horrible thought?
Actually reading this thread was an education for me and jogged my memory (of the above incident) which as I said wasn't taken very seriously! :mad:
I admit I believed in the beginning that this was not very common and that the media were maybe trying to create panic around the whole issue but I am starting to realise it's maybe more common than we'd like to believe and I just think it's horrendous for the poor women involved.
It must be terrifying to have that happen and be left so vulnerable and open to abuse.🙁
Let's hope that the media coverage increases awareness of this terrible crime and that the authorities take it seriously.
I’m sure that was Harry Maguire. Either way, that story rings a bell. Very concerning that the number of pictures and stories seems to be increasing around the issue of injecting women with all sorts of drugs on nights out.

The consensus seems to be that it would be difficult to successfully spike people - even trained professionals need focus, good light and stillness to inject people. But I wonder if it's actually easy to successfully inject someone if you don't care about their welfare.

It's hard for the average member of the public to ascertain the risk, so it's causing a similar kind of panic to when COVID showed up first. We need to feel like medics, lawmakers, the police and clubs are working together to understand and combat the issue, but after how badly COVID was managed, after what happened to Sarah Everard, it's hard to trust that the will and/or ability to protect us is there at all. It's especially disheartening that the central argument seems to be about whether or not it's even happening.

With Halloween around the corner, I am worried about someone successfully spiking me with a needle, but to be honest I'm more worried about them attempting it and exposing me to disease

• Sad
Reactions: 5
So this is popping up more and more on social media. Is this copycat cases? Surely can’t just be one random individual deciding to inject girls. A post on my Insta says she has “tested positive for numerous drugs” in her system put doesn’t say what these are. Surely the act of injecting would take a good few seconds at least, I just can’t understand how this is possible to do without someone knowing in a club.

Reactions: 2
The consensus seems to be that it would be difficult to successfully spike people - even trained professionals need focus, good light and stillness to inject people. But I wonder if it's actually easy to successfully inject someone if you don't care about their welfare.

It's hard for the average member of the public to ascertain the risk, so it's causing a similar kind of panic to when COVID showed up first. We need to feel like medics, lawmakers, the police and clubs are working together to understand and combat the issue, but after how badly COVID was managed, after what happened to Sarah Everard, it's hard to trust that the will and/or ability to protect us is there at all. It's especially disheartening that the central argument seems to be about whether or not it's even happening.

With Halloween around the corner, I am worried about someone successfully spiking me with a needle, but to be honest I'm more worried about them attempting it and exposing me to disease
Possibly the most eloquent post I've seen on the subject, that covers every side of the discussion. (y)

It was also one of my first thoughts that if they are being injected, or even just scratched as a distraction while their drink is spiked, what about other diseases through the needle, like Hep C? Could easily happen if they're scratching multiple people with that same needle. That's one bit that is scary and seems to be somewhat overlooked in the talk I've seen everywhere.

• Heart
Possibly the most eloquent post I've seen on the subject, that covers every side of the discussion. (y)

It was also one of my first thoughts that if they are being injected, or even just scratched as a distraction while their drink is spiked, what about other diseases through the needle, like Hep C? Could easily happen if they're scratching multiple people with that same needle. That's one bit that is scary and seems to be somewhat overlooked in the talk I've seen everywhere.
yeah exactly, this is what I would worry about more than whatever drug is in it (of course this would also worry me but the other risks are even worse)

I imagine the cases of drink spiking are a lot higher than reported, probably because alcohol is often involved and also because the lack of memory is a sufficient deterrent to people coming forward to the police, who likely can’t do much anyway.

I’ve had my drink spiked twice, both in my late teens. Fortunately in both cases it was early in the night so I’d barely had anything to drink. Different drugs I think as one made me paralytic and sick. The other made me really sleepy and with no memory of what had happened. I was lucky enough to be with friends on both occasions and kept safe.

I often wonder if these incidents were happening to all ages of people, or more men, whether it would be taken more seriously. It’s far too easy to blame naive young girls drinking too much or being foolish.

Reactions: 3
I imagine the cases of drink spiking are a lot higher than reported, probably because alcohol is often involved and also because the lack of memory is a sufficient deterrent to people coming forward to the police, who likely can’t do much anyway.

I’ve had my drink spiked twice, both in my late teens. Fortunately in both cases it was early in the night so I’d barely had anything to drink. Different drugs I think as one made me paralytic and sick. The other made me really sleepy and with no memory of what had happened. I was lucky enough to be with friends on both occasions and kept safe.

I often wonder if these incidents were happening to all ages of people, or more men, whether it would be taken more seriously. It’s far too easy to blame naive young girls drinking too much or being foolish.
I agree, as I have said I had my drink spiked but didn't report it as I had no proof, the club refused to give me a test to take and I assumed it would just have been assumed I was drunk

I agree, as I have said I had my drink spiked but didn't report it as I had no proof, the club refused to give me a test to take and I assumed it would just have been assumed I was drunk
On the first occasion my mum thought I’d had too much to drink. Logically though it made no sense - I’d only been out for less than an hour, I couldn’t have got in that state in such a short time unless I’d downed a bottle of vodka!

Thank you!

I find that a lot of the time that when it comes to protecting women, the conversation gets derailed by semantics and stops focusing on the actual issues. I feel like the focus on the overall plausibility of someone successfully spiking/injecting someone without them noticing is just another instance of this. I get it matters if it's noticeable or isn't, but surely it happening at all is the main worry? I also get the value in reassuring the public that the chances of them being drugged are low, but what about the overall health risks?

Even if the spikers aren’t managing to drug people, it’s still a real risk that people are contracting (potentially life-threatening or -limiting) diseases from this. And if there isn’t enough evidence to suggest it’s even happening, then why (genuinely, not rhetorically) have several news channels launched this into a national conversation?

The likelihood of being injected can be debated and it creates this hysteria when, actually, there is the very real and documented risk of drink spiking that happens and isnt dealt with. I wouldnt say its semantics, i think its almost like making a mockery of the real dangers women face.

Reactions: 10
The spiking by injection is not happening. What we're seeing is mass hysteria. One girl claims it happened to her, it goes viral and people pick up on it. It doesn't make sense, it would be virtually impossible to drug someone in this way
thank god someone said it!

Reactions: 3
OK. Let’s go back to the article people are citing that says it’s unlikely that people could successfully inject drugs (especially “date rape” drugs), particularly if they’re not a medical professional or trainee. This article also says there are few suitable drugs that a member of the public could access.

That’s all fine. I think at most, a single trainee medic could be doing this to his peers at clubs - beyond that, if it is happening, I think it’s amateurs clumsily jabbing people, possibly with limited success but more likely risking infecting them with multiple-use needles (which for me is the most pressing issue).

However, some people seem to think the article is saying it’s not happening or being attempted at all and that this supports the theory this is mass hysteria, which for me is problematic. The article says: “It’s entirely possible that this is some stupid fad of sticking needles into people, but the association between sticking needles into people and people being intoxicated and collapsing seems far-fetched. It’s very important that when a young person believes something has happened that has deprived them of their cognitive liberty to take them seriously and investigate it to the hilt. This has not been adequately investigated.”

Being emphatic so early on that it isn’t even being attempted encourages people not to put any weight in these reports, and women don’t exactly need any help when it comes to not being believed or followed up by the police or people around them. Calling them hysterical at this point is not “taking them seriously”. I don’t think the kind of language people are using is helpful.

Reactions: 1
I think it is almost certain that someone somewhere has drugged someone in public by injecting them .
I would say it was likely that some weirdos think it is a laugh to pick passers by with a safety pin . Multiple perpetrators could have thought of this, hence reports across the country.

If people believe they have been injected , they can sort of go into shock ( like some people felt funny after their covid jab but it was a response to the act of injecting rather than the vaccine).

It's a bit of an urban myth , but people ( especially young women) need to be vigilant because people can cause you harm in a public place.

They had one of the girls who was possibly injected on Lorraine this morning. Her picture of the site looked very like a puncture wound from a needle and they said that she had undergone tests since.

I don’t disbelieve her, as I’ve said it’s possible that it can’t be felt after my experience of self injecting and I was aware it was happening. Maybe it’s an after spike event, pop a little something in the drink to put them out a little bit, inject them after.

Could it be possible they inject people but it fails to have any effect, so then they just drug them a different way? As in they'd picked a target and stuck with them.

A friend of a friend who I went to uni with got spiked in Pizza Hut by injection, showed the drug results and the little bruise where the needle went in.

• Wow