Solo travel advice & recommendations

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why do you have to say that you are black?
Is it only me that could not care less??
i think because certain countries aren’t exactly welcoming sometimes.

@GossWhore - if you have an idea of what you’re looking for and budget we can help! i would say that a solo black friend of mine did NOT have a good experience in rome though :(

Reactions: 3
Black people can have a very different experience travelling than white people do, so its something female solo travellers who are black are conscious of (unfortunately, quite rightly)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm not black but I've heard of lotd kf travellers (especially women) experiencing racism. I would saw (from what I've heard) Eastern Europe isn't the best place

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Who knew Tattle was more than me bitching about influencers

I'm looking for a solo trip next April. Just FYI solo black girl so bear that in mind

Any suggestions x
What kind of trip are you after? I love Portugal and the people are so friendly and warm.

I'm from South Africa so can also highly recommend that if you have a bit more money and want a longer trip. My opinion is if you need to fly over 8 hours then you need at least two weeks there. SA has so much diversity and you obv won't feel uncomfortable.

• Heart
Who knew Tattle was more than me bitching about influencers

I'm looking for a solo trip next April. Just FYI solo black girl so bear that in mind

Any suggestions x
I would recommend any of the big cities in Spain - loads to do, very safe and if you get bored of sightseeing and the weather is good you can go and chill on the beach ⛱

Reactions: 1
Not specifically solo related but has anyone used those vacuum pack things that are supposed to save space when packing? Do they really make a difference? And do the clothes end up getting any more creased than usual?

Not specifically solo related but has anyone used those vacuum pack things that are supposed to save space when packing? Do they really make a difference? And do the clothes end up getting any more creased than usual?
Depends a bit on what it is. They take out air, so dense clothes like t shirts or skirts won't be affected that much but puffer jackets will. The only issue is that they work best with a vacuum cleaner, which you won't always have at the other end. Some do come with a hand pump, but that's obviously more work and less effective.

Booked Amsterdam for early Dec for 3 nights. Actually never been before! Hotels weren't cheap but got a single room for £300 quid 10mins from Riksmuseum and all the bars etc x

Reactions: 5
I keep changing my mind on where I want to go! Top now is Bucharest. Just depends if I can get a direct flight. I’m thinking July maybe June next year. As I’ve read June is the second wettest month of the year. My plan would be 7 days therme spa, brown bear spotting and Dracula castle and then relaxing at the pool for the rest of the time. Has anyone been solo?
Just seen this. I live part of the year in Bucharest (it's complicated...) June is usually hot but not unbearable, could be some rain (think like intense but short-lived summer storms). Therme is great! Be careful about bears, they're actually dangerous but the sanctuary is great. Bran castle is a tourist trap but I have a soft spot for it, you should also go to Sinaia and Brașov while in that area. The city is incredibly safe and welcoming.
---
I'm not black but I've heard of lotd kf travellers (especially women) experiencing racism. I would saw (from what I've heard) Eastern Europe isn't the best place
You'd be fine in Bucharest, it's a diverse capital city, people might ask you why you are in the country but they do that to everyone. Outside the city I think you'd be unlucky to counter unfriendliness but you might get stared at!

Just seen this. I live part of the year in Bucharest (it's complicated...) June is usually hot but not unbearable, could be some rain (think like intense but short-lived summer storms). Therme is great! Be careful about bears, they're actually dangerous but the sanctuary is great. Bran castle is a tourist trap but I have a soft spot for it, you should also go to Sinaia and Brașov while in that area. The city is incredibly safe and welcoming.
---

You'd be fine in Bucharest, it's a diverse capital city, people might ask you why you are in the country but they do that to everyone. Outside the city I think you'd be unlucky to counter unfriendliness but you might get stared at!
Thank you! I’m keeping an eye out for flights. But tempted to book an all inclusive in Greece or somewhere instead and just do nothing much for 10days 😄
Is food expensive in Bucharest? Or similar to the UK

Thank you! I’m keeping an eye out for flights. But tempted to book an all inclusive in Greece or somewhere instead and just do nothing much for 10days 😄
It's much cheaper than the UK!! There are restaurants of every kind from fast food places to high end. In most places in the centre a delicious burger and chips would be about £7, local food is usually cheaper still. Alcohol is pretty cheap too, a litre of local wine would cost you about £6-8.

Reactions: 2
How about a mix, do a few days in a city and then a break slobbing on the beach. Also I'm pretty sure you can book Club Med for a few days if you want all inclusive
ETA Just checked and you can although it's very pricey for 1. I did a few days at the Club Med in Florida to split Disney World and it was lovely.

How about a mix, do a few days in a city and then a break slobbing on the beach. Also I'm pretty sure you can book Club Med for a few days if you want all inclusive
ETA Just checked and you can although it's very pricey for 1. I did a few days at the Club Med in Florida to split Disney World and it was lovely.
My plan was to get a hotel in Bucharest with a pool so I could do some days of nothing there. But it’s more expensive to do that than to do all inclusive for longer 🤔
Also I can pay monthly on the website for the all inclusive. Unless anyone knows a hotel booking site I could use that allows monthly payments. As I have the money each month but I just spend it if I have it in my bank 😄

Yeah Bucharest isn't a very hotel with pool city. You might have more luck outside the city (maybe in the bran castle area) or you could go on to Bulgaria or Greece where those things are more common. I had an amazing holiday on the coast on Bulgaria a few years back.

Yeah Bucharest isn't a very hotel with pool city. You might have more luck outside the city (maybe in the bran castle area) or you could go on to Bulgaria or Greece where those things are more common. I had an amazing holiday on the coast on Bulgaria a few years back.
I’ve found one in the centre of Bucharest but I’ll look in the other areas as well thank you

I’d like to go skiing/snowboarding as a total beginner. Can anybody recommend any group travel for this? I don’t mind travelling by myself (obvs, I’m in this group!) but I think something like this would be easier in a group setting

I’d like to go skiing/snowboarding as a total beginner. Can anybody recommend any group travel for this? I don’t mind travelling by myself (obvs, I’m in this group!) but I think something like this would be easier in a group setting
When you learn to ski you are in a group so I wouldn't worry too much about actually travelling in a group. I took my then 3 year old Son for my 1st ski trip, just him and I so in effect a beginners ski holiday on my own and it was fine.
I have been to this resort Bad Hofgastein in Austria | Ski Resort Bad Gastein (skigastein.com) and it is a great resort for a beginner IMO.
This hotel is lovely Bad Hofgastein Hotel | 4* Österreichischer Hof (oehof.at)
I personally wouldn't recommend learning in France plus the resorts tend to be built around the skiing so there is nothing to do in the evening on your own whereas in other Countries the ski resorts tended to evolve around a town so there are more facilities.
Andorra is a cheaper option and also a good place to learn

When you learn to ski you are in a group so I wouldn't worry too much about actually travelling in a group. I took my then 3 year old Son for my 1st ski trip, just him and I so in effect a beginners ski holiday on my own and it was fine.
I have been to this resort Bad Hofgastein in Austria | Ski Resort Bad Gastein (skigastein.com) and it is a great resort for a beginner IMO.
This hotel is lovely Bad Hofgastein Hotel | 4* Österreichischer Hof (oehof.at)
I personally wouldn't recommend learning in France plus the resorts tend to be built around the skiing so there is nothing to do in the evening on your own whereas in other Countries the ski resorts tended to evolve around a town so there are more facilities.
Andorra is a cheaper option and also a good place to learn
Thank you, this is super helpful

Anyone else done with long haul? Last one i did was 6 years ago, I'm now just happy exploring Europe it has so much to offer